Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Ren Cen Movie Theater « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1988
Posted From: 69.246.4.29
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love going to the movies at the Ren Cen...parking is very easy (covered) with a covered walkway to the Ren Cen. Walk in to the elevators and hit the 2nd floor button and there you are! Super easy! And parking is FREE if you get your ticket stamped. Tell all your friends to go! I go at least twice a month and the theater is nearly always empty. I don't want it to close!

What does anyone else think?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 458
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the theater. It's a quick walk from my apartment and incredibly convinient. I go there a couple of times a month. I love the $5.50 matinee shows.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 750
Posted From: 68.60.139.54
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also love going to the movies at ren cen...but the problem is they dont care to keep my business. The last three times I saw a movie, the film was out of focus and the staff had to be alerted. The last two times I went....the late show was cancelled. I want them to stay open (who wants to leave the city for a movie?) but they seem pretty apathetic.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1600
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the flicks there as well. This is the second go around for a theater there. I hope it survives and sticks around. I really do think that for them to survive they do need something to let people know there's a theater in there. I doubt if too many people even know about it.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 68.248.6.205
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

parking free? i paid $5 and left the movie early to not pay $10!

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1566
Posted From: 68.74.30.105
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valet (out in front of the Wintergarden) is only $2 if you get it validated at the theatre. Also, if you have a AAA card, movie tickets are only $5.50.

They really need to advertise more.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 687
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great. Now that we are moving closer to downtown, this IS my neighborhood theater. I just wish they would promote it. It seems that it would be beneficial to let a few people know that it is there. Ya know???

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TELL EVERYONE!

Yes, parking is free. Get your ticket stamped (from the parking machine) in the theater and present your ticket stub. I have never paid MsDaniels. Better luck next time!

Broken_main

Post Number: 693
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ild...you live in the downtown area???

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too far from downtown contrary to what someone on here says I live in Detroit :-)

Our mutual friends know where I live (they are coming for dinner to my house on Thursday this week).

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 444
Posted From: 84.156.21.58
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can vouch for ILD. She is a big ole queen who lives in Detroit. :-)

I love going to the theater in the RenCen, too. I specifically waited to see some movies when we can back into town, so we could give our business to that theater. When we went, it was sparse, but busier than the last time we were there. Support this place. Although I like the theater in Birmingham, I HATE the drive. This one is soooo much more convenient.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 393
Posted From: 68.248.74.4
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They took down the banners outside the RenCen that promoted the theatre. Even on the inside the only mention of the place is on the overhead maps pointing u where to go. Unfortunate, I am sure most ppl in Detroit dont even know it exists

Broken_main

Post Number: 710
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, she didn't tell me that. I just spoke with her the other morning too. Too bad I work Thurdsay or else I would crassh the dinner...hehehehe.

I knwo that I will be going to the movies soon and I will be going to the RenCen.

Playing at The RIVERFRONT THEATER

Underworld:Evolution

Hostel

Fun with Dick and Jane

King Kong}

Call Hotline for times
313-259-2370

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Borken - You can crash dinner...Miss C will give you directions. I am making meat loaf, corn bread, baked potato, creamed corn yummmm yummmm and of course booze.

I saw Underworld last night - FABULOUS! It was very good. Worth every penny - and there aren't many movies I say that about.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can vouch for ILD. She is a big ole queen who lives in Detroit. "

Detroitduo - When I figure out who you are for sure I am going to bitch slap you into next week :-)

Broken_main

Post Number: 713
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will talk with her at 330. She is on shift with me tonight.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 68.41.224.19
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good news to hear that parking is free. I've been meaning to go check out the theater for quite a while now. Thanks for the info.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 148.61.248.29
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it only free for the time of the movie (could I go watch a movie, but then have dinner, and then still have it all be free)?

If so, $5.50 matinee parking with a movie! :-)

It's too bad about the quality though, hopefully they'll get their act together before I have the chance to visit or I won't go. Except for maybe the parking, lol.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5390
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never paid MsDaniels.

Totally believable.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been about 10 times so far and the quality has always been fine. I have not noticed anything wrong - other than the fact that Narnia completely sucked butt!

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 68.60.139.54
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find that suprising...your experience with the quality. I brought my nieces to the last showing of Narnia, only to learn it had been cancelled because there was but one employee responsible for selling tickets, working concessions and working the reels...and every movie had started late. After I asked, we were compensated with passes. Another time they had just cancelled the last show, and the manager could not say why. We were not compensated for that. I think they need to pay attention when starting a film...because the screens are small and I think this leaves a smaller margin for focus error.
All that said, I will continue to go...I like bouncing from the garage to the theater and seeing a flick downtown, I'm not going to sugarcoat the situation though.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 653
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree that having this theatre is FANTASTIC, but also agree that service is getting worse (a sign, I fear, that the whole venture is failing due to lack of attendance)

We just saw Underworld, and there was trash all over...trash cans literally overflowing, trash in the isles and seats, and one person in charge of tickets and concession. Reminds me of the old theatre.

Really...this theatre is a GREAT boon for us downtown detroiters. I can't tell you the difference it's made for us...short drive, reasonable price, shorter walk from car to theatre seat than any other theater in the tricounty area (and all covered!!!)...LOVE IT...I'm really afraid that it will close due to poor business though.

Sending out a DETROIT YES emergency call...everyone go this next month and show your support!!!

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1476
Posted From: 70.236.177.60
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I can vouch for ILD. She is a big ole queen who lives in Detroit. "

Detroitduo - When I figure out who you are for sure I am going to bitch slap you into next week.

I can't say I blame you for being offended by the "big ole queen" remark, ILD. After all that weight you've lost, I hear you're down to a very petite 275 lbs.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek - You don't have much room to talk :-) and I am alo taller than you hahahaha

Broken_main

Post Number: 732
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we should start the Forum Movie Club better known as the FMC and help OUR theater out. Heck, I got enough kids to fill half the theater (6) with me and my wife in line and a few friends we could make thsi thing happen, yes???

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 401
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, i remember Cafe did this a couple of times over the summer when it first opened...

With all the trash in the theatre, at least that means there were people in there, right ?? :-)

The only time i tried to check out the movie, i was in between showings and couldnt wait....since i live out in the suburbs, i like spending my time downtown more than just sitting in the theatre, however i will make the effort to check it out at least once

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 655
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True motorcity about the trash...unless it's trash from a week's worth of visitors ;)

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 68.40.189.92
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I try to support the Riverfront 4 when I can because I fear it is not going to last forever, even though the number of people downtown is increasing. It seems like they aren't promoting it at all although it does get an entry in the new People Mover guide, which I think is inadequate overall in letting people know what the listed businesses actually are. Just a name, address, and phone number. I don't think all businesses made it in, at least the newer ones like Tour Detroit which I never would have known about if I hadn't been exploring Harmonie Park yesterday.
Photo of the front of this tiny store is http://flickr.com/photos/56707 390%40N00/89959003/ It's a good place to know about for when people want to buy some fresh Detroit gear. It's another one of those stores that have opened up downtown just for the Superbowl but he's hoping to be able to stay open until DEMF.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.