Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Metro airport still looks shabby « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 68.40.107.240
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came in on Spirit at Metro Airport on Saturday which by itself was an ok experience. Going through baggage claim you could see the neglect in the old terminal. Instead of spending millions of dollars on that stupid looking bridge on I94 over Telegraph couldn't of they spent a few thousand dollars on repainting portions of the terminal to at least show this city is not all rundown? Many of the out of towners are not going to use Northwest.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 69.212.62.92
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A temporary good looking terminal and baggage claims area (like the Woodward temporary storefronts) are scheduled to be taped/stapled/glued in place just in time for SB XL visitors
BTW, that bridge on I94 will be melted after SB XL and the metal will be re-used for the steel structure of the new building replacing the Motown Records building.

Noggin

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that is good. Maybe that will cause the 1 hour baggage delays that occur in the Northwest terminal to show that fine Detroit customer service.

Northend

Post Number: 648
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see you know everything there is to know about Detroit and its residents... :-)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1349
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Instead of spending millions of dollars on that stupid looking bridge on I94 over Telegraph couldn't of they spent a few thousand dollars on repainting portions of the terminal to at least show this city is not all rundown?

Well, except for the fact that those funds came from a completely unrelated source.

Why do I get the feeling some people on here think there is just some giant pool of money that any official can dip into to fund his pet project? Private funds and public funds don't actually exist. There is no line between monies that can be spend on roads vs. airports, demolition/remediation vs. downtown redevelopment/construction.

People, read a newspaper or take civics 101 before you start posting stupid shit like that.

**end rant**

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1187
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The spirit terminal which is the old Airport is getting redone as well. All the money came from private sources not from the State of Michigan.

Julie
Username: Julie

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 66.178.218.40
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metroairport.com/pr oject/

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed with D4H, and understand his point. There is no big pot of money for people to fund their pet projects with.

Yet I understand what noggin is saying. What is really going to make a bigger impression on the out of towners? A shabby, airport terminal with less than enthusiastic employees, or a nice bridge over telegraph road?

Myself, I would like all of Metro to look like the new NW terminal. But is it in the cards..no.

On a semi-related note, I took a group of Kalamazoo Public Schools middle school students to the Auto show on Friday. They loved the bridge; methinks it was because I told them how there were Recycled footballs in the mix.

They also loved the tire on 94.

Once we entered Detroit, they were amazed at many things. The MCS, Tiger Stadium, Joe Louis Arena.

One student commented on how the neighborhoods looked like there were many poor people in them. And nearly every student noticed the grafitti near Tiger stadium.

I probably had to tell them 50 times that the city across the river was in a different country. They just couldn't believe that Canada was so close. It really made me laugh

All in all, I think they really enjoyed their trip to detroit. Many of them said that they wanted to move here! This really got me excited.

I too was excited to see all the hustle and bustle surrounding the Autoshow. I snuck out of the show for a minute to walk down Washington and grab a cup of coffee.

I pointed some tourists in the right direction, and soaked up the seemingly vibrant downtown on sunny, and busy autoshow afternoon.

Can't wait to move here in the fall.

CS

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 444
Posted From: 68.30.96.12
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks wmuchris,

Nice excerpt from your Detroit memoirs.

later - naturalsister

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 68.84.186.249
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey dialh4hipster. Take a civility class before telling someone else to take a civics class. That was an unwarranted insult to an innocent poster. I trust in real life you are more cordial than in the anonymity of the internet.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1491
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Civility class" do they even exist because this forum would be allot less fun if they did.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 776
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cringe at the thought of entering the smith/davey terminals...I will pay whatever premium nessesary to not end up in the bagage claim area of that place upon my return to detroit...it puts me in a bad mood about the city for days

Leyland
Username: Leyland

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 207.74.195.249
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the airport last month and I was shocked at how it looked... I was convinced that an airplane crashed or a bomb went off...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9787
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMMFAO at the guy who flies Spirit and then criticizes the airport!

Northend

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMFAO at white trash who drink Bud Light and laugh their ass off at other people :-)

Noggin

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not talking about a big pool of money but with the emphasis on frivolous projects while the basics just get ignored. As an example the city of Detroit spent a lot money on a new fence for Waterworks Park yet a few years later they have not even bothered to replace the many glass lamps that light it up as they have been broken. Governments need to pay attention to the details instead of just doing big projects that get the ink. These are the things that just make the quality of life just a little worse.

(Message edited by noggin on January 23, 2006)

(Message edited by noggin on January 23, 2006)

Stipes
Username: Stipes

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I flew Northwest into Memphis 4 years ago,,and it was alot worse than what Detroit was on my flight back...Concret block hole in the wall there....I was shocked,,and hope it changed since I last flew down there...

Compn
Username: Compn

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 65.29.121.215
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you can, always fly with carry-on only luggage.

how many of you have lost a bag that goes to houston or something? altho it hasnt happened to anyone i know recently, it used to be a big problem. always tip your luggage handler!

smith terminal baggage claim looks like a run down morgue, yellow walls, old seats, just ugh.

that bridge at telegraph and i94 is fine, but WHY PUT IN NEW LIGHTS?! its a traffic jam already without the lights turned on. it will turn into the 23 and 59 cloverleaf under the bridge type nightmare.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2294
Posted From: 129.105.20.146
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compn, a lot of people here are women. Your message does not preach to the XXs of the world who have to travel just like men.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2295
Posted From: 129.105.20.146
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity, just fly Northwest. Jeez.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped flying when they confiscated my safety matches from a checked bag.

I'm probably on some stupid list now.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1350
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey dialh4hipster. Take a civility class before telling someone else to take a civics class. That was an unwarranted insult to an innocent poster. I trust in real life you are more cordial than in the anonymity of the internet.

1349 posts and now I get this.

Why doesn't anyone go after Ndavies like this? He's way crabbier and calls people out for the same shit all the time.

I'm on a REALLY short fuse lately so excuse my oversensitivity about this.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.