Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » SuperBowl coverups: Papering over the Cracks? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2207
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown D is looking better than it has in decades but to the outsider not aware of our progress and how far we have come, it may still look like a ruinopolis. In the last couple of months, however, I have noticed increasing number of last minute coverups including this rosy wallpaper, papered over the cracks of the Fine Arts Bldg. What else is being papered over?

fine arts

Could this be a variation my sugestion, made months ago, that we import several cranes to give the appearance of bustle and growth? :-)

P

Second_ave
Username: Second_ave

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 68.40.223.253
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What got covered up at Woodward and Columbia, right in view of Comerica Park? Last week, they were putting up a huge ad for an Escalade . . . with construction workers protruding from the windows, except the "workers" are dolls or some sort of fakeness.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im not sure the name of that building, but they covered the windowless side of the building....

I dont think that building is completely vacant though, not sure.

Whitney Building has a window full of post-it notes. Kind of strange. DETROIT is spelled out on a window as u get on the people mover. I kind of liked that. All day Friday workers were replacing glass and cleaning the revolving doors of the David Whitney.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 148.61.248.29
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some parts of subways in other cities have interesting grafiti and sometimes animation. Having some kind of fun "easter egg" type thing for the people mover would be good, in my opinion.

"Could this be a variation my sugestion, made months ago, that we import several cranes to give the appearance of bustle and growth? :-)"

LOL, that's a fantastic idea!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they still putting in fake lights in abandoned buildings, as in those touched-up night-photos the city used to hype the SB years ago?

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4647
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you guys seen those "The People Mover Serves Downtown Detroit" messages on every highway overpass electronic sign in SE Michigan? I don't get why people need to be reminded of that while driving on 275 in Livonia...

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 412
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, i wondered about that.... its always on the boards as i am LEAVING downtown lol

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 306
Posted From: 35.11.158.84
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the faked skyline was only done for city's bid for SB40. It lit buildings mostly n Brush Park thankfully many fix since then.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 68.255.80.162
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The People Mover message is probably for the people who will be dropped off at suburban hotels by Metro Cars. Hopefully, they will see message and realize that they will have to find their own way to get to the city center before they can use the 'Mover. The People Mover concept might be confusing to people who are used to a subway or elevated train system which reaches out into the suburbs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.