Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Heavier Police Action Downtown of Late? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5415
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it me, or are there more police ticketing folks downtown late at night recently?

I wonder if they are attempting to net as many troublemakers as possible before the national spotlight turns on full next week?!

Got to stay home...or better yet, flee to the ladyfriend's house out in Macomb Township...although I don't know how to handle the Albanian/Hungarian turf wars out there as well as I can spot danger in the city.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 221
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have no fear. Stella's ghost walks.
Stella

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 69.212.62.92
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they're just trying to keep the influx of suburbanites used to what goes on in the burbs....and make a buck or two in the process.
Shit, I know I'm going to jinx it and get pulled over within the next week, watch.

Gannon

Post Number: 5418
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure do miss Stella, thanks Ray.

Don't give the gestapo any room to mess with you, Northie.

Northend

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know how to deal with the Gestapo, my grandpa was in a concentration camp in WWII.....he fell off a mirador.

shit, that was really tasteless.....

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1352
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The entire area has been crazy with cops. I saw no fewer than 7 cars pulled over on 94-96-14 on my way to Ann Arbor this weekend, all in places that usually never have any coverage.

Can't speak for downtown, but something's afoot.

(Message edited by dialh4hipster on January 24, 2006)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 621
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can't speak for downtown, but somethings afoot."

Yeah, I think it's that big American Football game.

Northend

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what game?

soccer?

the Australian Open??

Skating with Celebrities?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 622
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the Drudge Report....

"10,000 security personnel on duty in Detroit for Super Bowl; rivaling security for any other one-day event in U.S. history... Developing..."

Gannon

Post Number: 5423
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, forgot to tell y'all, they lessened their requirements some...

...you can all call me Five-0 now.

Detroit's OLDEST undercover police recruit.

Northend

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...u coming?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 913
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder they need all the parking lots.. for the cops! all 10,000 if not more.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1009
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOLY FUK...

I see what they are doing... They obviously need a way to pay for the extra staffing right???

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 900
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad for the extra police presence. Detroit could use more of it.

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 69.241.254.67
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to sound like CL, but I honestly am not having a problem with any of this.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 458
Posted From: 194.138.39.52
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha... took the words outta my mouth, Dag. We shouldn't be complaining about increased policing. What we should be complaining about is that it will fall off after SB...

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will be PLENTY of police for Super Bowl, even if they aren't there afterwards.

The Super Bowl is a National Security Special Event (NSSE). This means the SECRET SERVICE is IN CHARGE. Even the airspace above Ford Field is now under the auspices of the Secret Service - the airspace is now restricted. Now sure, the local law enforcement will handle most of the hands on logistics and be the "public face" you see on the street - but there is a much bigger picture at work here.

It is no shock that you locals notice the changes in police habits. My sister reported much of the same types of activities during the run-up to Super Bowl XXXIX in Jacksonville last year.

While the presence of the Secret Service would ordinarily give pause to some regarding the Downtown festivities - going to an area that the Secret Service is working wouldn't normally be considered "desireable" as a place to party, no less - but they are a mostly invisible presence. You can drink and spill your beers with little worry about the SS "crushing your party vibe" - but at the same time, you can count on law enforcement keeping a more strict eye on certain "undesireable" crimes - and to send a message of control.

And this IS a security issue, given the high profile nature of the event. Regardless of the real threat from "those who would do harm" (and that's NOT the homeless), the Super Bowl is perceived by law enforcement as an event of such profile that the added measures are necessary - especially since 9/11. Since 9/11, the Super Bowl is listed as NSSE.

This explains such things as street blockages, security perimeters, removal of mailboxes and so forth. The scope of those preparations are HUGE.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2654
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, that's the most awesomest picture I've ever seen someone post here.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, thank you for the wonderful picture of Stella.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3418
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audible....

Excellent post and right on the money! although mayhaps a little too "heavy" for the lightweights up in here.

Black-atcha .... watching "The Last Boy Scout"

Rasputin

Post Number: 3419
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Stella (bless her soul) was alive today, she'd prolly be shot by the Michigan State Police for being dangerous!! Go figure ....

Black-atcha ....

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.133.93.33
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a cop pull up to me last weekend when I was parking in a spot near the Times Square people mover station. He told me he didn't like the turn I just made and I cut somebody off. He didn't ticket me. I thought it was weird because its not unusual to see funky driving in any city. I also thought it was weird because I hardly ever see police stopping people for traffic violations downtown.

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin -

After I posted that, I thought that might be perceived as such - but then I decided to leave it. I tried to inform the forum from an "outsiders" POV who has been to the Super Bowl, and primarily from a factual standpoint, so readers have a "feel" for what is coming. Like it or not (and I can understand the consternation of some - it is certainly invasive to locals, especially downtown), it's all a part of the Super Bowl zoo.

I do not always agree with specific decisions made - but I do understand why those in charge make them, at any rate. Like "security". It's much more "perception" than reality, IMO, but the prevailing "public at large" mindset would dictate that there be security up the wazoo. And there will be.

The affection shown here for Stella, however, is not lost on this poster - I have been hanging out here for a couple of months, and I am most certainly aware of some of the local issues (the homeless, for example). I do in some ways feel a small percentage responsible - they claim to do this "for us" - when I really hope that "powers that be" do something for THEM in return - and then some. Those less fortunate deserve better than they usually get in modern society - and from what I'm reading here, better than they get in Detroit. The large homeless population is indicative of larger issues, be that in Detroit or anywhere else.

Gwyrah
Username: Gwyrah

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 141.217.119.183
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn I miss Stella too. I was the door guy at the Music menu for a few years and she always made my day when she would come by.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3422
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audible....

Before Stella did her transition, she was NOT homeless. She had been placed in a pretty nice apartment in the Martin Luther King homes by the Honorable City Council President Emeritus Erma Henderson, where Stella lived for a number of years. Folks up in here just like to hang on to what they wish to see! Go figure ....

I feel ya on the Po-Po issue. During the Million Man March, 300 FBI agents were housed in the FBI Headquarters Bldg. dressed in full battle gear and no one knew they were there until later. A war buddy of mine (out of the Frisco Bureau) was pissed because he had to work that day ..... in D.C.!!

So, the issue of increased Po-Po action for this event is mundane for those in the know. Kinda liked your statement about spilling beer. Had a good chuckle there. Now, they can go play in FAKE SNOW!! roflmao

Black-atcha .....

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 753
Posted From: 68.60.139.54
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Folks up in here just like to hang on to what they wish to see!"

...and a reading of any of your postings makes it clear you are absolutely excluded from that group.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3424
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go eat a FROG, Eastside! Is that enough attention for your ADD ass? If not, go here: Rasputin's Stuff, and check out the birds!!

Black-atcha ....

Ray1936

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad y'all enjoyed Stella's photo. For the record, it was taken about 1983 by PO Alan Halstead, of the DPD Central Photo Unit.

(Message edited by Ray1936 on January 25, 2006)

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2224
Posted From: 71.144.118.89
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin, will your "Detroit youth trained as snipers for the upcoming race war" be "on duty" for the Super Bowl?

Gannon

Post Number: 5426
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, if we didn't already have some po-po lurkers before...we certainly do now.

I started this thread merely to bring attention to the increased traffic stops that seem to be a dragnet for fringe offenders...I'm sure anyone with outstanding warrants and/or holding anything illegal will be herded off for a few weeks.

I'm just wondering where they're going to house everyone?!

Then, when they DO get let out...how pissed are they going to be that the Man caught up with them?!

The backlash could be deadly after this SS action retreats to Washington.

Gannon

Post Number: 5427
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SuperBowl XL, the sequel...Escape from Detroit.

I can just see it now.

Motown
Username: Motown

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 68.62.58.171
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, to update you a litte from working at the First Precinct until "leaving" in September, I can say that Al was still working down there (Central Photo), very much alive, and as nice a guy as ever. I'm still amazed when I think back to the collection of ribbons/commendations he has.

Ray1936

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that correction, Motown. Guess I had a major brain fart. Who was the one from CPU that died about a year or so ago? (I edited that erronious info out.)

(Message edited by Ray1936 on January 25, 2006)

Motown
Username: Motown

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 68.62.58.171
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately I couldn't say. I wasn't on for very long, only assigned down there/#1 a short time after graduation until layoff.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 69.242.214.54
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm OK with the DPD policing. Hopefully they will continue to do that after the SB.
Did you all fill out the DPD survey thats one their website? Get to it!

Gannon

Post Number: 5480
Posted From: 67.22.1.175
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, since Mcp001 started that other thread on tri-county warrant searches...

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 68.252.70.146
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday I had an FBI agent in my srore. He gave me the rundown on what was going on. He said that there are 100's of FBI, USSS, DEA and Homeland Security here. He himself has been here for 6 months. He is one of the head guys running the show for FBI. The reason he was coming in was actually kinda funny. I have SuperBowl banners hanging in my windows. He came in and asked if I would sell one...I said I would and quoted a price $50 higher than I paid for it. I asked if he worked downtown and that's when he said he was FBI. I joked that maybe I couldn't sell one to him as the agreement to purchase such signs says that you can't resell them. Who need the trouble? Since he said FBI I told him that he should just contact the folks who I bought them from. I went and got the contact info and when I handed it to him he said they had tried to get banners and the Convention and Visitors office (who supplied them) said the were out and won't have more till feb 6th, the day after the game....GET THIS....he said the reason that they wanted the banner is they wanted to hang it on the wall of the Command Center, as they had had a tv crew there the day before and the room has now mention of the Super Bowl, No signs no banners nothing and they wanted to dress it up a little. I asked if they had contacted the NFL for a banner he said they had and the NFL couldn't help them out. How ungreatful? I was very tempted to just give him the banner, but A)it cost me over $100 and B) The FBI murdered two friends (Rainbow Farm Sept.'01) of mine a few years ago and it took a lot of inner strength not to ask him to leave.....What I can't understand is how the NFL can treat these folks so badly. I told him that if I was the NFL I would have sent over banners, hats, jackets,t-shirts and set up the boys at FBI. But of course the NFL doesn't get it, the only reason they are here is that they were bribed with a new stadium. I am happy they are here as it has caused the CITY to take notice and CLEAN up the joint a little. Downtown has NEVER looked so clean. VACANT, but clean.

Gannon

Post Number: 5502
Posted From: 70.202.249.239
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, for my friend to find.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.