Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Mike Rosenberg .... Detroit doesn't desrve its rep « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 755
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think???

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/s tory/5268730

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 321
Posted From: 69.221.79.80
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said

Broken_main

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree...I'm seeing a lot of good things being said about us.

Here is another on FOX

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/s tory/5274370

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before you begin to celebrate the smattering of articles being kind to your fair city, be aware that Super Bowl week is NEXT week. You have yet to hear from the likes of Tony Kornheiser, author of last year's host city introduction, "What's That Smell? Jacksonville!"

It's good to see some of the press be more fair to the city of Detroit, but don't celebrate victory until the game is over. It's not even the end of the first quarter.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1355
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he cribbed that from this forum!

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 752
Posted From: 68.60.139.54
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on AN...you offer a great perspective being an outsider who has seen the superbowl (and press coverage) in many cities.
A thread ripping every negative article, and a thread lauding every positive one...who knew? The forum keeps me amazed with its unpredictability.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 416
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn right!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6525
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Lowell should start a superthread dedicated to people complaining about articles bashing Detroit.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 624
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll stick with a city that is north of Canada, short on glitz and overflowing with soul."

That's what I'm talking about!

Broken_main

Post Number: 758
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I will too...

We all know the negative media is coming. i think that you can go to any urban area in America and find something wrong to exploit.

I take this certain attitude toward the whole SBXL thing anyway. People are gonna talk...No matter what the people say..let them talk.

I think that people that always have soemthing negative to say often tend to have to do so to make themselves appear to be better. I've been here way to long to let some outsider take cheap shots at something that i take a lot of pride in...MY CITY!!! The reporters will be here but for a brief moment...I, on the other hand, will be here all my life.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only one thing I have it say......It's up to OUR people to show the vistors who we are and have a SAFE SuperBowl weekend and hopefully the media will say something good about Detroit.

Broken_main

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed...nellonfury. Early this week, a man in a red SBXL jacket asked me a few questions about my knowledge of Detroit. It was a 3 minute briefing. I guess the Ambassadors were trying to see what the common people knew about the city. Location of certain areas and buildings. I got them all correct.

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Only one thing I have it say......It's up to OUR people to show the vistors who we are and have a SAFE SuperBowl weekend and hopefully the media will say something good about Detroit."

Last year, when Tony Kornheiser penned "What's That Smell - Jacksonville?" (printed early Super Bowl week), the local host committee used that as a rallying cry and motivator for Super Bowl week. They were, of course, very good and civic minded people - but that article was the extra "locker room material" motivator for the Jax people to really show how much Jax appreciated the Super Bowl being there. And they were eager to PROVE IT.

Jax did have infrastructure problems (hotels and cabs, primarily) - many of which Detroit has better/more of. But those people were OUTSTANDING. Some of them even took visitors into their homes (lack of hotels) - and for cheap or free.

These are the things that I remember. Now the media will focus on the negative - although I must commend the host committee for steering the "early press articles" to the positive. Even in Miami, the press made wisecracks about the Downtown/bad hoods in Miami - as if other major American cities didn't have these problems.

So don't sweat the press. It's interesting that my views of the host cities rarely "match up" with the press anyway - they are "covering" an angle that most visitors never experience (5 star hotels, limo/taxis, golf courses, exclusive events). If those events don't match up with reporters' other Super Bowl experiences as amongst the "best" (and the press often sends the smae writers every year), then it isn't good to them.

So while SOME in the press complain, I'll be living it up in the "D". Too bad those negative press folks don't know how to do that. But I must say, the TONE of some of the earlier articles is better than expected. You have the PR people with your host committee to thank for this - they have done a Super job at steering the media to a position from which they can be positive.

(Message edited by Audible Nectar on January 26, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.