Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Dollar Houses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, back in the 60s, the city of Baltimore was desparate and decided to sell beat up homes for a buck and a signed agreement that the new owner will rehab the place within a certain time allotment. Holy Sheeet! What a great idea that was! That small little idea spawned rehab throughout the city that is unbelievable. Entire neighborhoods have been restored and the city has enjoyed surpluses in revenue along with restored city life and business that followed. Why can't that happen in Detroit??? lack of imagination? to much red-tape? someone help me here! What is most wonderful about it is that the building boom is not new lofts or condos but 100 year old homes, old factories, etc. As I drove down Grand Blvd. over the holidays---this was my thought--and as usual--I was frustrated. Any ideas????

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 70.233.5.38
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That program was in Detroit, too. My aunt bought her house in the Harper/Dickerson area for $1. She had to get a loan to fix the necessary things in her house and that was the only condition. This was about 20 years ago.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1651
Posted From: 66.2.148.237
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed out on the dollar houses, but in 1991 I got one for 500.00
Of course, this was at the end of the Coleman years, and the city was so incredibly disfunctional that I had to go to them, tell them that they owned it and offer them money.
It was a miracle that the records had even been updated to show city ownership.
But I got two houses on one lot for 500 bucks. And because I had an active community group, I got some grant money, combined it with a low interest loan and 4 years of hard work.
It was worth it.
I got hooked on the process and am now working on my third rehab.
Something like this would have been enormously helpful ten, fifteen, twenty years ago. The city still owns a lot of property, so it couldn't hurt even now.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 148.61.248.29
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It reminds me of the Simpsons where Bart buys a big abandoned factory at a city auction for a dollar.

I think it's a good idea, but the city would have to enforce any rules about slumlording it all, and it seems like the city is having a hard problem with that already. But I still think it's a good idea. I think that I read somewhere here that a house costs 10-20 thousand dollars to fix, and that's a good price for buyers and a good plus for the community.

That's really cool Barnesfoto, keep up the good work. Do you have any before and after pictures you could post?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 932
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has been very progressive, rather then having Dollar Houses, we now have Dollar Stores.
:-)
sorry

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 752
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a house in 1994 for $500.00. I put $15,000 into it. It was 60% repaired. I came there the next day and it had been plowed-down. Another great, heroic tale of the city of Detroit and it's total lack of any coherance and total mis-management. Another job well done... OOPS, burnt another one...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1994, eh? According to Lowell, Detroit must have bottomed out after they plowed down your house. You're the one!

Kurwo
Username: Kurwo

Post Number: 822
Posted From: 68.100.112.29
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm working on my third rehab too. Damn you, meth amphetemines, everytime I try to get out, you pull me right back in!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1655
Posted From: 66.2.148.27
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kraw, was your house on Vermont St? There's a well known case that is an often repeated bit of Corktown history....

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 790
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought there were dollar houses under archer?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.