Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit Preps for SB XL « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 68.43.180.171
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit was abuzz with activity today. I can't imagine that there has been more fixing and working going on across the breadth of downtown since maybe after the fire of 1805. It was really exciting to see the restored/improved facades along woodward.

Here are some pictures for those who haven't been able to get downtown.
Cadillac Ad on the Michigan Mutual Building
:Cadillac Ad on the Michigan Mutual Building

The Madison Theatre Building and its old marquee are looking better than they have in years:
Madison Theatre

The window art in the David Whitney Building brightened the west side of Woodward.
Whitney Building Window art

Eastside of Woodward north of John R.
1500 Block of Woodward

Everywhere I walked workers were busy putting in new windows calking and cleaning:
Woodward  abuzz

With restored stonework the Himelhoch Building really shines:
Himelhoch Buildng

(Message edited by rust on January 26, 2006)

Kgrimmwsu
Username: Kgrimmwsu

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 68.180.0.161
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics. Its amazing how much Woodward has improved!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 484
Posted From: 69.246.5.196
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture of the Cadillac ad doesn't even show how cool it truly is. There appear to be people hanging out of windows, and you see flashes from their cameras going off every few seconds.

Rust

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 68.43.180.171
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Photos from the same walk:

Looking towards Griswold from Woodward & Clifford
View towards Griswold
Who was Clifford anyways?

Ornate Stornwork is being revealed on this grand old building from another era:

It still has its patina

Here is a close up showing what has been hidden for so many years
Close up

I was a disappointed that more of the original stonework wasn't hiding on building. They did a good job of matching the color of the original stone. It is just too bad they couldn't have brought back more of the original styling. Perhaps in the future somebody will bring this one fully back to its glory.
disappointed

Looking up Woodward the streetscape looks inviting:
up woodward

The building at Woodward & State has received some attention and someone has setup shop inside (at least for the Super Bowl)
Kresge's

Back up woodward at Grand Circus the Park Avenue building has some new plywood but not much else.
Park Avenue Building

Further up Park Ave the Centaur and Town Pump are creating a new entertainment center.
Park Ave

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 930
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Rust. Thats great for us land locked people. Keep them coming.

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 69.241.254.67
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so thrilled. One more year until I am able to move downtown.

Psip

Post Number: 931
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta say this, why is this all taking place 1 week before the SB? Its not like the NFL came to us on Thanksgivings and said "BTW Superbowl XL is going to be in Detroit this year". If this had happend last summer it might have given some people the kick to actually start or move a buisness downtown.

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 69.241.254.67
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip because the longer that it was prepared the longer we have to create a mess of things prior to the bowl.

In my mind this is akin to doing last minute cleaning right before your company arrives. The goal is to make sure eveerything looks great at that moment where there is no sign of litter, graffiti(street art) and that we will be on our best behaviour.

Psip

Post Number: 933
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats true Dag, I guess I am just pissing and moaning that once again I am a day late and a dollar short.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 69.51.137.10
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howabout DPD and citizens start enacting STIFF penalties toward anyone who messes with grafitti, and breaking windows.

Litters should be shot as well.

do it.. do it...

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics you guys!!!!Downtown is looking beautiful everyday and let's keep it like this from now on,NOT just for the SuperBowl.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 309
Posted From: 35.11.158.84
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing that bothers me is the of lack symmetry on the 11th pic, 3 windows on the left half and one on the right. There had be windows on the right you think they'd uncover them to given the building some balance

I'm really impressed with how the Madison Building is turning out; ugly didn't begin to describe how that building use to look. The changes to downtown over the last 5 years have been nothing short of amazing

Rust

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 64.118.136.130
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric,

I concur with you. They basically kept the window configuration from an update that must have occurred in the 20's or 30's and replaced the tile with a material that matches the color of the original stone. This photo show that original appearance looking up Woodward at an angle. It is the second building.
woodward & state

This shows it after the first Redo.
First Redo

This show as it was before the Super Bowl remodel with the 2nd floor windows completely covered over
remuddled

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3459
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Litters should be shot as well.

Dude, you'd kill puppies?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6546
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Puppies should be shot as well. Cats too.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe not shot, but a stiff beating would suffice.

:-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2556
Posted From: 68.249.245.86
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clifford; named for Thomas Cliff, tavern owner, and friend of John Farmer; 1835
His tavern was near the ford in the Savoyard River, hence the name, Cliff's Ford

http://www.geocities.com/histm ich/streetname.html

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2206
Posted From: 12.75.19.101
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dude, you'd kill puppies?

Obviously false concern coming from a known building-hater.

Jt1

Post Number: 6547
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker has been heard stating "Let's knock that puppy down" while laughing at the list of 100 buidlings they are going to knock down before superbowl.

Skulker

Post Number: 3461
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot a puppy and you will have to answer to Clifford the Big Red Dog.

clifford

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1795
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'One day' they say.. Detroit is destroying it's heritage for one day..

Is it obvious yet that this is so much more than one day? For the last month, I have heard more about Detroit then ever before, including when I lived there for most of my life. Mostly good, some bad. Bottom line, Detroit is being talked about, discussed, debated, and redefined.. all for this so called 'one day'. You can't put a price on this. I'm telling you from a outsiders perspective, what's happening because of this 'one day' is big. and immensely important.

If you can't yet see that this is about way more than one day, then you never will, and that is your loss.

Skulker

Post Number: 3463
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit is destroying it's heritage for one day...

Again, can some one PLEASE generate a list of specific heritage peices that have been lost because of the Superbowl?

I can point to a lot of heritage that has been preserved and / or improved because of the Superbowl, but not a lot that has been destroyed.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1015
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn.... i couldnt ever have a dog that big....

its bad enough u have to watch where u step... then youd be duckin terds too...

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1796
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can point to a lot of heritage that has been preserved and / or improved because of the Superbowl, but not a lot that has been destroyed.

Exactly. Even if some historic places were lost, it's still not about 'one day'

Jt1

Post Number: 6551
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Again, can some one PLEASE generate a list of specific heritage peices that have been lost because of the Superbowl?

I have the list but it is in a trailer that I rented to a friend that is now living in Alaska. Next time I get there I will get a copy of it. UNtil then you need to take my word that I have a list signed by all Detroit politicians and all DDA, DEGC, members stating that these buildings must come down regardless of the economic fdeasibility of rehab.

Building hater.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 69.81.52.188
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the surprise at the Madison. Looks like it will be a nice compliment to the Opera House across the street. Better than those stupid steel beams, anyways.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 159
Posted From: 35.11.234.205
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the progress of the Motown Winter Blast snow slide?

The last I heard was that the machine-made snow had extreme difficulty accumulating, and that a decision would be made by Tuesday to proceed or terminate the efforts.

I'm away at school, right now, but I'll be in town to volunteer.

Great photos! The CBD looks amazing. I've never seen the city so attractive. After all, I'm young. My childhood memories are of an empty downtown, a ghost-town. I only remember going to downtown (from northwest Detroit) for the fireworks once or twice, and to visit Belle Isle. However, I remember all the buildings being dirty and boarded up with the exception of the Ren Cen, which was virtually a fortress. I'd hear stories from my parents about how they used to bus into downtown Detroit and shop, instead of going to a suburban mall.

This revitalized downtown is exactly what dedicated and enduring citizens of Detroit need. The city needs life in its heart! And every time that I step foot into the CBD, my heart pumps with more and more admiration.

Viva Detroit!

"Believe 'N the D!" - Young Detroiter

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 68.41.224.19
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.