Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The best Super Bowl article yet (Detroit Rescue Mission) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitch Albom hits this one out of the park:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006601270448

BTW, you folks in Detroit are really blessed to have writers like Mitch Albom in your paper every day. I've seen him on ESPN, and have read lots of him since doing my Super Bowl prepwork over the last month or two.

Here's to Mitch for writing this one. As an "out of towner" who is well aware of how the Super Bowl host cities have dealt with the homeless, this is a most welcome writing. I do sincerely hope that the added attention on this issue will get a better and closer look from the NFL. While the NFL does much in terms of charity work, there is enough money circulating around this event that MORE can and should be done - not just for the weekend, but beyond.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2554
Posted From: 68.249.240.26
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Jan 7 Freep
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060107/NEW S02/601070324

quote:

That plan comes with a hefty price tag, however: Audi said his organization expects the three-day party to cost about $20,000.

Shelters across the city also plan to expand, both by adding beds and by staying open 24 hours a day during Super Bowl week. In all, Audi said the Super Bowl likely will cost homeless service providers as much as $100,000. The NFL won't help foot the bill

Guess the NFL can't find a few bucks to help out.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 148.61.248.29
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a good article. I'm surprised how little money it costs to keep the place open longer with those services, compared to how much it costs to bulldoze a building, or run an election campaign, or all those other sorts of things. Sometimes it seems like things are a bit backwards, but I guess that's the way things are.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to urge everyone to give these guys a call and put in 20 bucks. I know that times are tough around here, you don't have to pledge tons of money or anyhting. Most of these kinds of campaigns rely on lots of small donations, so your ten bucks will really help. Just think, 10 bucks to help feed someone and give them a shower, or 3 coffees at Starbucks.....

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 253
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NFL does a surprising amount of work in the community in conjunction with the SB. Don't trash them because you found one they haven't supported.

http://www.sbxl.org/community/

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2560
Posted From: 68.79.167.45
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban_Shocker,
I don't disagree, in fact here is the list of non-profits they recommend:
http://www.sbxl.org/community/ Non-Profits.asp

It was not a trash, just a quote. Although for the price of an umpteenth round draft-pick a lot could have been done for those not wanted to be seen by the visitors to our fair City.

Resqroydfd
Username: Resqroydfd

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.61.174.228
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I have to say is most homeless people like being homeless.... I ask a lot of the "Urban Outdoorsman" why they don't ask there families for help or find the resources to get out of the cold and you hear a lot of excuses. There are 1000's of organizations who are willing to help people to get clean and off the streets. But, A little effort and personal responsibility has to also be behind it.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 826
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'like being homeless'? Try 'feeling hopeless', 'having extreme pessimism', or even 'recognizing reality'

when at the bottom at elast you don't have to worry about falling any farther

English
Username: English

Post Number: 481
Posted From: 69.221.74.124
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about mental illness? A lot of the homeless aren't in touch with reality. And I was only 13 when general assistance was cut off and a lot of the mental institutions were shut down by our beloved Republican governor emeritus (cough), but I do remember the sudden upsurge in homeless on the buses that I rode and on the sidewalks I traveled upon...

Saying "they ought to take personal responsibility" is like saying that your relative who's struggling with terminal cancer ought to run a marathon.

Give me a break.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 848
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's evident that a lot of people fell through the cracks when funding to mental institutions was cut. Private charities/organizations did not fill the gap. I noticed an upsurge in the number of homeless during the '80s also.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6581
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have no mental problems, they're just lazy.

Signed,
John Engler

PS - How can I fund specific groups like insurance companies and developers and take care of the mentally ill.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.