Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Where can I buy official Super Bowl XL merchandise? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9825
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wandering around downtown tonight and was wondering if there will be any stands or shops set up offering official Super Bowl XL merchandise?

Michael
Username: Michael

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 68.21.35.228
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are of course joking, right?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 808
Posted From: 204.39.224.69
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thing the same thing Supersport. lol. BTW it was great seeing you, Harmonie, RSA, Sonhouse, and friends at the Well tonight. I was not expecting to run into anyone. Downtown islooking awesome.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 456
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All those pop-up SBXL stores are licensed by the NFL. That's the real stuff. Also 4 set-ups in the Ren Cen - all legit.

later - naturalsister

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5484
Posted From: 67.22.1.175
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Big Tone just got in a shipment...not all sizes, though.

For some reason, not all models, either.

He must be low on the NFLs official priority list.

They must be racists.

Supersport

Post Number: 9826
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are these stores you people are talking about, I walked all over the place, maybe I'm just missing them. :-)

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 421
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, they are very hard to spot, considering there are only 39 of them downtown. Tough to find them with all of the other retail in the are :-)

SS, ur posts are becoming fewer and far between lately, too caught up in ur blog??

Supersport

Post Number: 9827
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that and keeping a watchful eye on my four legged friend.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 508
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the deal with all of these Superbowl stores? It makes sense to put them in empty retail spaces, but I am now seeing them replace permanent businesses. For example, Compuware has been filling out their retail spaces, but there are still 3 or 4 spaces that are not leased yet. It makes sense to finish building out these spaces and temporarily lease them out as SB gift shops. The one empty storefront in the Bates garage, and the one empty store in the Greektown garage (the former Camillian space) have been turned into temporary SB gift shops. Further down Monroe, the newly-empty AhMoore space is also being used as a temporary SB gift store.

It makes sense to turn 6 empty storefronts into temporary SB stores, but they are now closing other businesses to make way for temporary SB stores. Just on Monroe street, The Shoe Gallery has been completely cleared out to make way for another SB store. The Greek gift shop has been cleared out for another SB store, and the beautiful new replacement for Athens Bar and Grill will not be selling food nor drinks for the SB, but more SB crap. I can't believe that being the 11th SB store on Monroe will generate more sales than a brand new sports bar and grill would, but I suppose these people are doing it for a reason. It just seems like the presence of 50 downtown SB stores would result in oversupply, and maybe keeping your regular business open would result in better sales and exposure in both the long and short run.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 968
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Occupancy permits. If you already have a store say selling paperback books, its easier to move the books out and the SB stuff in. To open a store in an empty space, you would have to get a ton of inspections and pay for the permits.
Think of it as selling Christmas goods at a regular store. Only this time the entire store is SB rather then a small section. Makes good buisness sense.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 514
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in this case. basically every available storefront in the area has become a SB gift store, so permits are obviously not an issue here. It makes sense to do the changeover if you are the only place in the area selling this stuff, but when there are already 10 other stores selling the same shit within a block, I would think that there would be more opportunity to sell and showcase your regular products and services, instead of setting yourself up to look like a temporary business that will be closing up shop next Monday. The Superbowl offers downtown retailers a rare shot at putting their best face forward and showcasing their products and services to people from the area and beyond. It doesn't make much sense to squander this opportunity to market your business to the public, including many locals that will be coming downtown to see what is new.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.