Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ESPN Super Bowl XL Blog « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 250
Posted From: 69.209.157.203
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN did this for the MLB All-Star game last summer and it was always interesting to read. It's updated regularly by ESPN columnists.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn /page2/story?page=klosterman/b log

"Detroit is like a 16-year-old girl who just paid $110 for the haircut she always wanted, but now she's driving to school and checking herself in the rearview mirror, and she's starting to suspect that she looks a little like Tawny Kitaen on the cover of "Out of the Cellar." Kids can be cruel, rockers."

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6596
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if that is mean or not but it is some funny schitt.

Dtwphoenix
Username: Dtwphoenix

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 63.163.143.242
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Chuck Klosterman guy seems a little bored. Maybe someone should head up to the 18th floor and show this guy around town. I'd say, "show him a good time." but he might get more than he bargained for. :-)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 639
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just checked a few of his columns. No email addy, otherwise I'd take him to Honest John's

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3475
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story about his friend being punched is a bit hackneyed. His official designation is now "Chuck Kolostomybag"

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 329
Posted From: 68.250.97.237
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wtf, I love Page 2's blogs but this guy isn't doing it for me. Sounds like he's from a "posh" city, read his first post, of course Detroit is the only place where people get punched by shady characters, he must not have HBO :-)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 495
Posted From: 69.246.5.196
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much of a loser do you have to be to blog about something that allegedly happened to someone you don't even know (read the Sunday, 11:30 p.m. ET entry).

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2002
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for those keeping score, that's the second Tawny Kitaen reference in as many weeks in linked articles on DetroitYES. (AND the third reference to bands that should have remained fossilized in 80's amber) what's going on?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9838
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when is getting punched once the same as getting pummeled? Strangely enough, I found the whole ordeal kinda funny.

Reminds me of the time last summer I saw a guy on Rosa Parks hit a woman that was with him. She proceeded to pummel the man, as he was just some skinny ass dude. I'm guessing this woman weighed in well over 300 lbs. I actually had my phone out ready to call the cops, until the woman retaliated and "pummeled" the guy.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I normally love Chuck Klosterman's writing. His last two books have been really good. For some reason though, his ESPN columns always fall a little flat with me. They're good, but not great. It always seems like he needs a little more space to get where he's going than the column provides.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to reading this throughout the week. And I couldn't find an email address either..

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4656
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His impressions of the RenCen are absolutely dead on.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 468
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ren cen part was almost lol funny. Almost. But overall, this blog reads like someone who trying too hard to be sarcastically funny.

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO. There is SOOOOOOO MUCH of myself in that article. Like those who fall sucker for the "Super Bowl" as a brand. I am ALL about this game (have attended three host cities, and witnessed two games). It IS a holiday for me (but no, I don't hate Jesus). And I even proudly wear a Super Bowl XL/02.05.06 - Detroit leather logoed jacket (my wife got it for me for Christmas, since she knew we had tix for the game - bless her heart - and for a third of retail). And I want to be at the Super Bowl EVERY year, regardless of who plays the game.

More than the parties, concerts and alcohol that flows, though - I live for seeing the best lay everything on the line for that trophy. There's something about playoff football that causes players to set aside "the self" and be something that even THEY never thought they could be - and that is REQUIRED to get to, and win this game. The money they make doesn't matter, the girls and lifestyle they have doesn't matter, only that trophy matters. It's different than a regular season game!! I've watched every Super Bowl since Super Bowl IX (nine), and am still just as fascinated by this game as I was when I was a kid. That fellow in the Free Press that has seen every Super Bowl in person - he's my HERO :-)

There are a lot of people who see Super Bowl who get them from "perks" or connections. But more and more, there is a contingent at Super Bowls that is much like myself - just fans of the game who want to see the game in person - "connisseurs", or just hard core football fans, if you will. This is a growing group - it's fun to share stories with these people when in town for game weekend.

I must not be the only one impressed by non-denominational Super Bowl gear, because I have sure gotten LOTS of comments on my jacket when I wear it in public.

But at the same time, I understand that it IS just entertainment. As far as sports go, football is king to me, so naturally the Super Bowl holds my attention. I see the good and the not so good associated with the game - much of it discussed here - it is what it is, I suppose.

As for the Detroit impressions, I'm not qualified to say, but I will have some small qualification after the weekend:-)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 643
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yo AN,

When do you get into town?

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan to arrive on Thursday :-)

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 260
Posted From: 69.209.129.4
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I predict citywide looting."

that's never a good thing to say

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.