Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » WSU to move commencement OUT of Cobo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cassie1717
Username: Cassie1717

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got this email today. Gee whiz, move a nice ceremony like commencement to a gym or a muddy field.

Dear Members of the University Community,

Wayne State University is moving forward with plans to return Commencement to main campus for the first time since 1926 in a single annual celebration replacing the twice-a-year ceremonies at Cobo Hall.

A universitywide committee recommended these changes in a formal proposal that has been presented to a number of university constituent groups including the Council of Deans, the President?s Cabinet and the Board of Governors.
The committee included representation from the Council of Deans, the Academic Senate, the Department of Athletics, the Office of the President, the Division of Facilities Planning and Management and the offices of Commencement, Special Events and Services, Registrar, Alumni Affairs and Marketing and Communications.

The first combined ceremony will take place at 11 a.m. Saturday, May 6, 2006 at Matthaei Physical Education Center and Tom Adams Field in the Wayne State Football Stadium. All academic programs will participate except those in law and medicine. The Law School and School of Medicine will continue to hold their ceremonies off campus.

This May we expect approximately 1,500 graduates and their families and friends to attend the first ceremony, which will be a true campus celebration. This event will be an opportunity to build relationships with alumni and create exciting, lasting memories and new traditions, including the announcement of graduate names during the ceremony.

Wayne State will do its best to accommodate those whose participation in a Saturday ceremony may be difficult because of religious observances. In addition, we will be working closely with the Hillel Foundation of Metropolitan Detroit to assist observant Jewish students and their families.

I invite everyone in the university community to participate in Commencement exercises, and look forward to joining you in welcoming our graduates and their families at this exciting time for our campus.

Sincerely,
Irvin D. Reid
President
Wayne State University

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 835
Posted From: 68.249.238.197
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sucks! I was thrilled to have my commencement at Cobo Arena.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 69.209.137.62
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah i got this too.

anyone know if WSU had to pay to use Cobo and can't now b/c of costs?

Because really, didn't I hear that Mr. Reid got like a $30,000 raise?

hmm

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 979
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hay-a hay-a hay-a

/////////////
///// // // /
/// // / // / / //
/ // // // / ////

On their parade.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.