Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Karmanos speaks about local interest in the city « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 497
Posted From: 69.246.5.196
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article from Crains

Karmanos: Local investment interest still strong
By Andrew Dietderich
• January 30, 2006

It may be great that out-of-town money is investing in Detroit, but Peter Karmanos wants it on the record that local companies are investing, too.

“We built a new building, there will be another company just our size that is coming down here, Four Seasons wants to build a hotel downtown,” he said. “The newcomers that think we’ve given up on it? Maybe they should go back to where they came from.”

Karmanos is founder and CEO of Compuware Corp. (Nasdaq: CPWR), an information-technology company that had more than $1.2 billion in revenue in 2005. The company moved its headquarters from Farmington Hills to Detroit in 2003 and spent $400 million on its new digs. About 3,000 workers are based in the building and many surrounding businesses have said that they are thriving because of the additional traffic.

Karmanos said he believes that city officials are working hard to replace tax base eroded by the construction of expressways through the city’s heart.

In addition to developments along Woodward, he also pointed to the new stadiums, built with local money, as proof that locals haven’t abandoned Detroit.

And, the Ilitch family, which pulled up stakes in Oakland County and moved Little Caesar headquarters downtown in 1987, recently announced a series of plans to invest in the Fox Theatre and other Detroit buildings in its portfolio.

“All of these things have re-energized the city,” said Ann Lang, president and CEO of the Downtown Detroit Partnership. Lang said she isn’t surprised at renewed business interest both locally and out-of-town.

“And it’s not just for the Super Bowl, either. These are people, investments and projects that are here for the long haul. … You just didn’t have that 10 years ago.”

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 458
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gotta love Pete!

later - naturalsister

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 212
Posted From: 68.42.169.179
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four Seasons wants to build a hotel downtown?!! Is he serious? A FIVE STAR hotel downtown, that would such another wonderful boost if it materialized. We don't even have a five star hotel in Michigan! I wonder where he got this information from?

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“The newcomers that think we’ve given up on it? Maybe they should go back to where they came from.” -Karmanos

No no.... Please Don't go back where you came from!!!!!!!

Stay here, invest, live, prosper

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 467
Posted From: 194.138.39.55
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What other company about the same size as Compuware?

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 69.241.254.67
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CMU, the Ritz Carlton in Dearborn might be construed by some to be a 5 star.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 224
Posted From: 198.204.133.208
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ritz Carlton, Townsend, Royal Park Hotel and Amway Grand Plaza are all four star hotels.

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 69.241.254.67
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 408
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Antheneum (sp) is the highest rated hotel in the CBD

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 468
Posted From: 194.138.39.55
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What company, same size as Compuware, is coming downtown?????

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 498
Posted From: 69.246.5.196
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Rock Financial?

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1535
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock Financial

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 252
Posted From: 69.209.164.1
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi! I'm David Hall from Rock Financial!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 672
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope David Hall reads this forum regularly so he understands just how much we want his company to move downtown.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been a lot of speculation that Rock Financial will be coming Downtown and building on the former Hudson's block. They are very fast growing, adding over 2,000 employees last year. They have outgrown thier current Livonia offices, and have recently rented additional offices in Livonia. They are on track to add over 1000 workers this year as well. I think that they would b e agreat addition to the CBD, being the largest online lender in the US. Thier office tower could be coupled with a hotel, or condos, so we could accutally get a new skyscraper Downtown. They do not give a media relations email onthier site but they have a general inbound email: help@rockfinancial.com Lets all email them and call them and encourage them to go Downtown.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1536
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock could careless what a bunch of people on the internet think or that it would be good for the city if they moved downtown. What Rock and any other good company care about are the tax benefits they receive from being in a Renaissance zone.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3480
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Four Seasons wants to build a hotel downtown?!! Is he serious? A FIVE STAR hotel downtown, that would such another wonderful boost if it materialized.

No, Karmanos wants to build a Four Seasons hotel on the Hudsons site. Problem is a Four Seasons half the size of the Book Cadillac (200 or so rooms) would cost as much as the Book Cadillac. The direct cash subsidy, NOT loans would be well over $40 MM. Not worth it.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1197
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has talked about the hotel for years. Back as far as about 98/99 as I can remember. don't get your hopes up.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1021
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so what?

BTW...

if four seasons has interest in the Downtown Hotel Market... doesnt that flat out spell Racism and Bias to the banks that are using a deflated hotel market in the CBD as a reason to not offer financing to the Book Cadillac???
I honestly think they are succumbing to the age old perception that plagues so many unfortunatly ("Why would I finance a hotel in Bukutown...")

Before I get my ass pummeled, this is not my opinion, dont shoot the messenger... but honest to god it appals me how many times I am working with a home builder or contractor, bringing up the possibility of doing some work in the city (as I have plenty of) and the response I get over and over again is "... your nuts, Im not touchin spookietown..".
(please notice the quotation marks) .. And the response seems to be almost along the same lines from just about everyone I work with... Unfortunatly im not in a position to pick and choose who I work with right now... and really since its so widespread (I work with many different people) it wouldnt make much of a difference.

THese are pretty legit homebuilders... building countless Mc Mansions in oakland township, lake orion ect... as well as ones that build many of the projects in RO and elsewhere...
that mentality, in all its bigotry just seems to be the norm wherever I go or work... I mention Detroit and people freeze in fear.... like I mentioned the deepest circle of hell to do business in.

It pisses me off but I really have to hold my tounge because that feeling is soooooo deeply rooted in these people and heaven nor hell will convince them otherwise... The Detroit=Black=crime=bad , Suburbs=white=safe=good mentality is taught from day 1 of many people's life here... to change it would be the equivilant of changing the alphabet..... It is so completely widespread that I really have to turn stones to find those that do not hold the same opinion. Thank god I found this forum, because this is really a relief for me to be around a crowd that actually feels as I do.. Not me against the world... Becuase outside of here... I dont know who you guys work with.. but in the building trades... the opinion starts out ugly for Detroit and goes downhill from there.
Could you Imagine the bitching and whining that all of SE Michigan would have to hear from Livionia if Rock Financial?

Damn that would be awsome and with 2 new NON AUTO! firms in the city, the doors that would open to a stable economy in every aspect of the metropolis... and a garage door open for smaller firms in the area.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 68.41.153.99
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in a perfect world, the four seasons would not build a new structure, but renovate the book cadillac.

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a perfect world, there would be enough demand for both the BC and a new Four Seasons.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1370
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't even get me started on "in a perfect world!"

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahahahahaha, fair enough.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 68.41.153.99
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good point. i don't think lowell has enough bandwidth for "perfect world" scenarios.

_sj_

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so what?

He likes to make statements/promises he does not keep. So don't get your hopes up.

quote:

It pisses me off but I really have to hold my tounge because that feeling is soooooo deeply rooted in these people and heaven nor hell will convince them otherwise... The Detroit=Black=crime=bad , Suburbs=white=safe=good mentality is taught from day 1 of many people's life here...

That is whay they see, that is what hear, that makes it truth.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so Karmanos has already been discredited in regards to the four seasons, now what about the company he says that will move downtown that is the same size as Compuware? I'm assuming he is referring to Rock Financial, but is he speculating out of his ass? Or is it a for sure thing? It seems like he said it WILL happen, not that he wishes it will happen.

SKULKER, without giving the name of the company, obviously, will another huge corporation move downtown in the next few years?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 651
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Karmanos reads the forum!

Maybe Karmanos is Ilovedetroit!

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rock Finaancial is a supporting sponsor of the Detroit pistons" haha

_sj_

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has been spotted in the Rock Financial suite at the Palace according to his radio interview.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3482
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, there seems to be a lot of wild haired tangents here about the Four Seasons issue.

Four Seasons is like any hotel comapny. They do not own the majority of their properties, the properties are built and owned by a developer and the hotel company (called a "flag") simply operates the property.

Flags grow through two different ways:

1 - Flags have certain markets they would like to be in or have growth areas they would like to exploit and will search for developers that will partner to get it done.

2 - Flags are approached by a developer that feels a market is underserved. The developer pitches a project and if the numbers work, the flag partners up.

Four Seasons is not looking at the Detroit market. They are willing to operate here if there is a developer willing to pony up enough money to get the project done to their standards. Karmanos wants a Four Seasons here and is willing to put a certain amount of cash. The amount his is willing to put up is not enough to cover the gap between operating and construction cocts and the revenue generated by the hotel. He wants the City to pony up the cash to make it work. The cash in this case would be essentially a large cash grant as even a loan would not be repayable by the project. In the case of the Book Cadillac, the City is helping bridge the fiancing through loans, NOT grants. The Four Seasons project, while much smaller scaled than the Book Cadillac would be nearly the same cost.

So no, Four Seasons does not "want" to be here in that they are not actively targeting Detroit and looking for development partners. The "would" come here if the deal was right for them. The deal that is right for them is not right for the City at this point.

That isn't "discrediting" Karmanos, its just cutting through the spin of a businessman trying to get what he wants but can't / won't pay up for it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.