Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » SB Volunteers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 209.114.251.65
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like the volunteers are by and large doing a great job. I have been a little worried about how they might portray the city. It seems like whenever I see a room full of them there are a lot of 50 something homemakers who might not have stepped foot in the city in the last fifty years. Than today I read this:

Link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10 810997/#060130

At the hotel were a half dozen equally cheerful volunteers — and I really can’t emphasize enough how gosh-darned nice and eager-to-please everyone is. I asked them about shuttles and credentials and Tuesday’s Media Day. It turns out the stadium isn’t much more than a mile from the media center.

“So I can walk to the stadium,” I declared.

“Oh, no!” was the reply, sung in chorus.

“Everybody’s been telling me what a great place downtown Detroit is,” I said. “And you’re saying I can’t walk a mile in the center of town at nine in the morning?”

That’s what they were telling me. I might, they said, walk down the wrong street, and the implication was I wouldn’t like what happened to me if I did. It’s all you really need to know.

Dangerous to walk from the Ren-Cen to Ford Field? You've got to be kidding me. What stretch of that walk is even remotely dangerous? Maybe its that scary stretch in front of police headquaters.

I hate to criticize someone who is volunteering, but you have to wonder if some of these people aren't doing more harm then good. It's one thing for an outsider to say something negative about the city, but when its a native it is, in my opinion, devestating. Especially when you are talking to a journalist who relates this in a blog.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 69.209.159.57
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just sent Open Mike an email stating my belief that most of the "cheerful volunteers" don't walk anywhere, let alone a whole mile in Detroit. Suggested he look at the Preservation Wayne web site and maybe take their "Super Bowl Skyscraper Tour". Also mentioned that 900,000 residents is STILL the 11th largest city in the US.

Honestly - someone in charge of "Volunteer Training" forgot to mention that the CBD is pretty safe - especially this week.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 661
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure they are doing more good than harm. But I also was worried about this. I sent him an email, with the Wayne State Report.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2589
Posted From: 70.236.169.19
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having almost a decade of experiences of working as a staff member with volunteers at several venues in Downtown that depend on them to keep labour costs down, I both grinned and flinched at that report.

There are a group of almost professional volunteers, almost any big event they sign up, just to be part of it in some way. Mostly from the suburbs, they are enthusiastic and want to be so helpful with anyone that comes their way.
For that I applaud them.

The obverse side of that coin is as a yolunteer, they have no accountability in bringing in their biases or failure to understand their real role. I can't count the number of times, I've had to untangle a sticky situation because a volunteer exceeded their authority due to their zeal to please.

Even so, I'm glad they are there, just hope they don't scare off our visitors by being "helpful" with their own fears.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just remember everyone. We're all volunteers. Especially important during times like these, when we've got alot of visitors. But this is important all the time!

IF you love the city, show other people the love!

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 722
Posted From: 69.212.62.92
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very touching!!!!!This is why I wear a "313" T-shirt!!

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to respond to this as one of the Superbowl volunteers. We were all told to be as positive as possible with anyone from the media. We were also told that if someone started asking nosy questions, or questions designed to get us to answer in a particular way, we were to refer them to the media offic ein the rencen. I am sure that these fine volunteers were probably letting this guy know that here was a shuttle to and from the game from the rencen.....he, in a twisted media way, took it to mean he was going to get shot if he stepped off Woodward. Cut these people some slack...we all have trained, 8,000 of us, and we are doing our best. You have to remember that these are regular people.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 491
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am also a volunteer and if I hear another volunteer say something that stupid and ignorant, I'll call the command center and report them (after correcting them).

Then again, reporters will find what they want to find.

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is link to a story on Foxsports. I have to say that this is exactly what we want to hear about both the volunteers and the Superbowl. The mention of how nice things are was thrown in to a general article about football, something that many more people are likely to read. He also gave major props to the volunteers.....

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/s tory/5296350

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2591
Posted From: 70.229.124.8
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys,
Do the City Proud,

Sharmaal

Post Number: 663
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a bad article! But somebody should have held his wang!

Sharmaal

Post Number: 665
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10 810997/#060130

I got mentioned! Apparently he got alot of responses to the warnings about walking downtown!

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome, it is great to see that people actually respond to citizen involvement. I give him full credit for ackowledging the response he has recieved. Kudos.

Sarabara
Username: Sarabara

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 209.176.199.4
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto to East_detroit's comments.

It's too bad they don't have a system to weed out the bad volunteers like that.

Of course the only way to try to improve this is to sign up yourself as a volunteer :-)

Cynknight

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He put in my email, too! (Hope the volunteers have a sense of humor, or I'm in big trouble.)

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 24.176.50.206
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you guys are terrible..criticizing a volunteer for his/her time that they have invested into ensuring that Detroit puts on a great show. maybe you should have all volunteered yourselves. no appreciation shown for anything. you are all assuming the role of the national media that tends to bash the region.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3484
Posted From: 68.42.168.34
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have been a little worried about how they might portray the city.

Did you volunteer? If not you have no room to complain.

War Knocturnal's post X 10.

Cynknight

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we can't comment on volunteers, Skulker, guess we also shouldn't comment on businessmen who buy buildings and real estate in Detroit, because after all we haven't bought any property lately.

I admire the thousands of people who have volunteered their time and enthusiasm to help out during the Super Bowl. But I'm still entitled to my opinion about the impression the reporter was left with - whether intentional or not.

Skulker

Post Number: 3487
Posted From: 68.42.168.34
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theres a differnce here though. It doesn't take millions of dollars and specialized knowledge to be a greeter.

Every single one of you alleged "boosters" of the City that did not get off your ass to give a couple hours of time for the betterment of your city have no right to complain if the people who ARE doing it, aren't doing it to your satisfaction. What a bunch of smug, hypocritical schmucks.

Sorry, this is one issue where I am drawing a line in the sand.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 675
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold on Skulker. First of all, I was cutoff. Too many volunteers and I never got a reply.

I also helped create a document with some "off-beat" locations of the city for various groups.
I organized a walking tour for the Ambassadors last Friday because of my concerns. Unfortunately the email didn't go out in time, but we still had 60+ people show up.

Second. Read my post again. Did I criticize them? No. I expressed a concern. Criticizing would have been saying that they were awful or couldn't do their roles justice. I have no criticism of them at all. I think it's going very well!

Sharmaal

Post Number: 676
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if folks don't want to scroll up and read...

"I'm sure they are doing more good than harm."

-Alok Sharma

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1543
Posted From: 68.61.196.207
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm volunteering at the NFL Experience so I'm qualified to criticize. While everyone is doing a great job, there is this one volunteer that doesn’t know how to work his jacket and another that kept putting his shirt on backwards. Where the hell do they find these people? :-)

Skulker

Post Number: 3490
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal:

Relax -

You gave time to help thorough various ways, so you are not one of the "alleged "boosters" of the City that did not get off your ass to give a couple hours of time".

Did Spartacus? Cynkight?

Sharmaal

Post Number: 678
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Bishes! Did you?

Tell 'em Skulker!

Cynknight

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Skulker, you win. I'm truly awful for being mean to the volunteers who apparently gave the reporter the impression that Detroit's mean streets were too dangerous to tread at 9:00 a.m. in the morning in the CBD. I humbly beg your forgiveness.

I just want the reporter know that was not true - and apparently he took it to heart, which I'm glad about.

BTW - I *did* volunteer last June for the All-Star cleanup. Plus I participated in the first year of the Preservation Wayne walking tours, as a tour guide. So I'm not entirely useless.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 209.114.251.65
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may be sitting on my ass, but I did send one of the 147 emails Celzic received... and I may have encouraged others to do the same through my post.

Funny how someone who spends "a couple of hours" is immune from criticism while someone who invests "millions of dollars" in the city and has "specialized knowledge" is open game on this board.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.