Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Toronto article takes a stab at the Pulitzer prize for poetic drama in newspaper writting... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1186
Posted From: 63.240.133.93
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/ cs/ContentServer?pagename=thes tar/Render&c=Article&cid=11387 47814554&call_pageid=968332188 492

I'm really getting sick of these articles contrasting the glamor of the Superbowl to the poverty of Detroit. You can see such contradictions anywhere in America. Did such writers at New Orleans Superbowl bother to venture out of the French Quarter?

But I guess it makes for some nice poetic writing.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1187
Posted From: 63.240.133.93
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some award winning lines...

This week there will be gluttony next door to the ghetto.

Graffiti has been scrubbed away. Many of the abandoned buildings, including the original headquarters of Motown Records, which had been long turned over to the prostitutes and the addicts, were demolished in the lead-up to this week.

And just when you think no one could be living in such squalor — with no window unbroken and a front door off the hinges — you see a dog happily panting on the front porch.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article is valid. Compared to other major metro areas, the sidewalks are empty. And... within a few blocks of the new stadiums, there are boarded up buildings. That is the reality. Is it getting better? Yes--but the writer of the article is not making up what he or she sees. Oh, before Katrina, if you ventured outside of the French Quarter in New Orleans, you did see many vital neighborhoods along with great poverty.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 766
Posted From: 69.214.178.92
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some observations are true from an outsider. however, most of the article is unsubstantiated or unresearched shite:

quote:

Last week, the Ford Motor Company, controlled by the dynastic American family that is hosting the game at their eponymous stadium, announced its intention to eliminate up to 30,000 jobs and close 14 plants, including one in nearby Wixton, Mich., and another across the river in Windsor.

nice sentence. 6 commas? wixton?

quote:

Many of the abandoned buildings, including the original headquarters of Motown Records, which had been long turned over to the prostitutes and the addicts...

really. i thought gordy still had the keys.

quote:

Ron Scott, a local anti-violence activist, said yesterday that the city's homeless population, estimated at anywhere from 12,000 to 40,000, has been encouraged by police to stay away from the bustle.

okayyy. let's try and keep our sentences down to 2 or 3 ideas. otherwise passing opinion off as fact.

the article is full of this stuff. i usually don't really care about these articles, but it's just a very poorly written piece of "journalism".

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1380
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poorly-written, sure.

Factually incorrect? Not so much.

We've been getting some really incredibly good press so far - I've actually been surprised and touched by it. It's great to see what everyone is writing and I appreciate it being pointed out on the forum as it comes up, but trying to rip apart this article seems like nit-picking.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 262
Posted From: 69.209.129.4
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well to be honest, I thought that was the best negative Detroit article so far. A bit exaggerated sure, but it took a stab at some real issues and ignored the superficial, like whining about the weather.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blessyouboys: that is becauseTorontonians are hardly in a position to complain about Detroit's weather!

The Star is known for a bit of hyperbole, but the focus on the dichotomy between rich and poor is a common theme in Star articles. That being said, there is no getting around the fact that the rich and famous are living it up in a city/metro area going through hard times.

The article acknowledges that downtown Detroit is improving, although the city includes a substantial amount of poverty and blight and has high unemployment. You can't hide that with a banner.

This article is a decent "negative" Detroit article and will not hurt the way Torontonians feel about Detroit (although, Torontonians -- on average -- do not usually think very highly of the industrial city 400kms West down the 401).

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8102
Posted From: 64.228.67.124
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only reason they think that way is because Torontonians (say that three times fast)belive they are the centre of the universe. Puss-heads at their best...

That being said, yes the "journalism" is much to be appreciated but the facts are not that far off base. Face it, $300.00 for a bottle of Grey Goose Vodka (because in many of these parties you will be served by bottle only)while the rest of the residents of the city try and keep warm or try and buy milk for their children.

You have to wonder where north american society has it's morals buried.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 328
Posted From: 12.192.233.131
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
"Ron Scott, a local anti-violence activist, said yesterday that the city's homeless population, estimated at anywhere from 12,000 to 40,000, has been encouraged by police to stay away from the bustle."

Estimated by who? let's up it...

Irish Mafia, as a violence activist, estimates the homeless poulation at 90,000 to 150,000....

he also estimates that the unemployed Eskimos living in London Ontario has exceeded the breaking point of 250,000....

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 317
Posted From: 35.11.17.13
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're definately being a bit dramatic on the poverty/glitz issue condsidering that the press seemingly never had an issue with N.O hosting SB's despite that it's just a poor. Thankfully stories like have been rare

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew that TD-Canada Trust merger would be bad for the Eskimos....

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 637
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12,000 to 40,000 quite a tight range I might add.

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 72.139.187.142
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[sarcasm] I'm shocked that a paper from Toronto would take shots at Detroit. [/sarcasm] Screw 'em.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2415
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Blitz

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 309
Posted From: 64.228.108.192
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Goat! I suppose I can't blame you for the puss head crack though, since American tv has told us in T.O. that Windsor is a cess pit of immoral activity and lustful drunk Americans (then again, I thought your wife was from east Toronto/ Danforth area?- according to what I remember from a post of yours once upon a time)... I'd bet you even like being in Toronto whenever fate finds you here...

Believe it or not, both the Star and the Globe and Mail have had articles within the last year or so praising various aspects of Detroit. Also, the abandonment and evident signs of grinding poverty are striking to most Canadians. We only let Natives live that badly, and not all reserves are as grim as the ones that make the news here. Many Canadians have a hard time taking in a city of two million where half the population left in what looks like some scorched earth policy. Furthermore, I have yet to meet a Michigander who hasn't trashed Detroit more than any Canadians ever do. Sorry, but it's true; I've met quite a few and they do more to scare Canadians away from Detroit than the Toronto Star ever could. Before anyone gets mad at me for this post, lemme personally take credit for talking a few locals into visiting Detroit and Windsor.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8106
Posted From: 67.71.67.49
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Erikto I do like visiting T.O. but you have to admit, the arrogance of the city as a whole is prevelant. That is not to say that there are not good people in the city nor unfriendly. But the feel of "what's good for T.O. is good for Canada" and "what's not good for T.O. is not good for Canada" stands.
My wife even says the same thing but did not notice it until she moved away for a couple of years. Of course most of this is because of the municipal gov't and there constant pleading with the feds and provincials (Mel Lastman and his Army brigade for snow comes to mind).
It doesn't help that the federal gov't kisses the ass of T.O. (as does the provincial gov't)proper. You also nailed it that the downtown is full of drunk americans kids (though this is changing as they are not coming around as much).

As for Windsor, you are correct. It is a sinful place (strip bars, prostitutes, drunken brawls nightly...), devoid of any aesthetically pleasing architecture, decent parks, and it is a city that is quite boring to raise a family in. But it is still my hometown which I love. I just hope that we can make changes for the betterment of it's citizens.

(Message edited by GOAT on February 02, 2006)

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 35.11.17.11
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More of the same this time from the AP

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 60202/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_tim_d ahlberg;_ylt=AphEShFkloZVTHaEmXWADhDI yLQF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNl YwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 768
Posted From: 69.212.230.184
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, that one wasn't that bad. sure it's not really complimentary, but you can't really deny a whole lot in it. at least it was written well ;) that and no artistic license/cliche's/etc.'s.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 312
Posted From: 64.228.108.113
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Goat, I hope you didn't misunderstand my last post- I meant the notion that Torontonians are all stuck up businessmen plays as well outside Toronto as tales of Windsor's seediness go over outside Windsor; I know Torontonians aren't all stuck up and my neighbourhood probably has more prostitutes than all of Windsor. There are enough good and enough sleazy people for both our towns.
As for T.O. receiving special privilages, I'd have to postpone a 'formal' response until I track down one of many recent articles on the discrepency between how much money leaves Toronto for Queen's Park and Ottawa, and what comes back in by way of public spending. We pay heartily for our "centre of the universe" membership cards here! (Just kidding around)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.