Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Super Bowl City on the Brink « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thewack
Username: Thewack

Post Number: 193
Posted From: 71.125.244.135
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.alternet.org/story/ 31635/

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 341
Posted From: 68.250.97.237
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what, all I can think about this article is the guy set out to write an article where he could inject liberal ideas into it (Operation Class War??), and in doing so didn't even stop to consider the past 40 years that contributed to the state of the city today.

Maybe I missed the point.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 623
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure did...

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1007
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He actually said one thing I agree with.
quote:
(If instead of betting on the big game, you want to give to the Detroit Rescue Mission, call 313-993-4700 or send a check to Detroit Rescue Mission, 150 Stimson, Detroit, MI 48201.)

But it's interesting how "they" speak to their followers, its almost a mantra, he tells them what they want to do. ie: "you want to give to...."

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unlike other negative press about this weekend, I do understand this article and appreciate his honesty. He took no cheap digs at Detroit but instead looked at the bigger picture of the event. Detroit does have poverty, the homeless have been rounded up, most cannot afford the event, there have been lay-offs. I don't see it as a liberal-conservative issue; just an honest opinion about the events.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1394
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, isn't this article a parody? Like on theonion.com?

Rijobo
Username: Rijobo

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 67.38.25.245
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If everybody in the USA bought real American autos GM, Ford & Chrysler. Things around here would get much better. I wonder what this writer Dave Zurin drives ?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 423
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally learned after many years that my biggest investment ( my house) and my livlihood would be majorly threatened by the failure of Ford and GM and started buying American. I had owned only Japanese since 1981, not we have a Ford, a Jeep, an Impala, and a Cavalier at the house. They have turned out to be just as reliable as all the Japanese cars I bought.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 329
Posted From: 69.221.79.80
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wait, isn't this article a parody? Like on theonion.com?"

Hipster...when you wrote that, I actually had to go back and check...oh well, I don't think that the author will be in the fun part of the party....

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the comments people have left are amazing. I quote:

"Detroit is a dying whale, breathing it's last land-locked breath. Being a student of a college in the downtown area of Detroit there have been several startling changes recently in the area. One which sickens me to no end is the replacement of windows and facades of ailing buildings in the downtown area to make them look as if they were being used by anything other than flops and the homeless."

Several others commenters are also disgusted at the progress downtown has made, as if we'd be better off not having new residents (with higher expendable income), stores, restaurants, businesses, corporations, or a Superbowl. I realize there is the argument that more tax money should be distributed directly to the poor in the short term but focusing on that one can lose sight of longer term investments where tax money can create a larger tax base.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.