Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Mexico's view of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hubrez
Username: Hubrez

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, I'm all geeked out. We gave a interview to media from Monterrey Mexico, to be view over there on Sunday. I don't know who did more interviewing, me or them. I wanted to know their opinion of Detroit.
I asked them what there view of Detroit was, and they were surprised that the city was not as bad as they heard. They kept saying that everyone they spoke with were freindly. They understood that Detroit is a industrial city as Monterrey is, and we're going thru hard times. All in all they left the shop with a positive view, which left me with a huge smile. They kept saying we want to see snow,,,I told them to wait 24 hours or so .

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2258
Posted From: 66.167.210.66
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monterrey in known as the "Detroit of Mexico". If you want to see industrialism run amuck that is the place to see.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3030
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder Monterrey likes Detroit, they've got all of our damn jobs.

Pay rates: $1.00 USD per hour, a free lunch, clean uniform, and a ride to work. Now that's livin'. So much for Vicente Fox Family Wage jobs.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 661
Posted From: 69.209.184.163
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Diego Rivera's grandson downtown 2 months ago and he asked me why I was moving to Detroit. I told him that I felt it was a real representation of America, old and new, both beautiful and ravaged, much like his own place of residence, Mexico City. He smiled, shook my hand and said, "That's why I keep coming back. I love it here."

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3031
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrjoshua, incredible story. Wow!
jjaba

Themapman
Username: Themapman

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 130.126.81.7
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monterrey is the richest city in Mexico, and is probably not far behind Detroit in terms of dollars. It is also home to a thriving technology sector, has great parks, and is a very clean, nice place to visit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.