Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Success of the Shuttles « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 67.149.62.53
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking on the news with the line up for the shuttle at Macomb Mall and the Zoo....People are coming downtown. I didn't see many crowds in Royal Oak driving through tonight..I'm planning on using the shuttle tomorrow morning.

How long was the wait???

I wonder if more events downtown will utilize shuttle buses in the future (games, fireworks, festivals). It creates walking traffic, cheaper than parking, and less drunks on the road).

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 838
Posted From: 204.39.227.224
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a long wait at all, we parked at city airport and had no problems getting downtown. There was a long wait leaving but I assume a lot of people decided to leave after the shooting. I know we did, being as close to it as we were.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 68.41.224.19
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to use the shuttle early this afternoon, but after seeing that line at the Macomb Mall... I don't know if I'm going to try it.

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 35.11.78.70
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me last night, we walked down Woodward avoiding the shuttle from Midtown because the line was really long (probably three busses full). It was a nice walk anyway.

We wanted to take the shuttle back to Wayne and had to wait about 15 minutes and there appeared to be much confusion, but a few of Detroit's best organized it FAST.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9871
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the shuttles to WSU are a lot more congested. In fact, my friend described it as a big clusterfuck of a mess with people waiting about 2 hours to get a shuttle.

Haydenth

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we tried to get on the shuttles about 11pm and it wasn't too bad. Mostly families trying to leave and some DPD officers running around keeping things orderly. Otherwise, it would have been a clusterfuck because those volunteers holding the big signs that said where the busses were going looked very confused.

However, to find the right line was a pain in the ass. There was really no organization to it - I felt bad for those two or three cops who had to deal with people trying to rush the busses and whatnot.

There were a lot of people who decided to park at Wayne and just make the hike down Woodward or Cass. Walking from my apt, I made a few new friends from the suburbs who were doing just that.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 69.81.52.188
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some friends of mine wanted to come downtown around dinnertime on Friday and gave up due to huge lines at fairlane mall for the shuttles. I'm not surprised. There are several locations to the north of the city to get a shuttle, but only one to the West/South.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 735
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the success of actually getting Metro Detroiter to ride mass transit will finally convince the powers that be to take fixing it seriously. Although to be honest with you, large crowds for mass transit and large waits during large events is something to be expected in large cities, its just nice to hear it is happening in Detroit. The Freep was reporting the People Mover has been overwhelmed also, and DDOT is adding shuttles to the DPM route to keep up with the long waits. Hope the problems won't be used as excuses why people don't want to ride it, and keep us from getting another large event like this.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 684
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2.5 hour wait for my Folks at Macomb Mall. They said that everyone was in very good spirits and didn't mind the wait. Mom reported that it was young and old alike. She said there were quite a few older folks with walkers and canes, but everyone seemed to have a good time.

Haydenth

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to ride the people mover last night with no luck. The line was horrendus!! After pondering whether the universe was going to collapse, I was pleased (and tired from walking) and the shuttle ride back to Wayne was pleasant! I sat next to some high schoolers from Farmington and some soccer-moms on a night out on the town.. Good times were had by all (and the high schoolers were enjoying the anatomically correct pictures drawn on the back of the DDOT bus seats..)!!

I certainly hope this leads to future discussions by the powers-that-be about mass transit. An extension of the people mover down the woodward corridor would do so much good for both the city and the region, and I would NOT have to walk so far!

(Message edited by haydenth on February 04, 2006)

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 69.14.123.113
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took the shuttle from the zoo to downtown today around 11:15. Only had to wait about 20 minutes. When we tried to come back, though, we probably waited 45 minutes to an hour. It would not have been that bad except that it didn't seem like the wait was because of a long line, but just because we went about 35 to 40 minutes without a bus showing up at all.

I had a great time downtown, but this was the one time where I heard people really bad mouthing Detroit. I'm sure they were just frustrated with standing around in the snow and rain, but it was disheartening to hear people leaving downtown saying "Who organized this shit?" and "I'm glad I don't pay their salaries."

Overall though, it was a good day and was great to see so many people walking around enjoying the city.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1027
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... Damn.. I just drove down today... fuk the shuttles.. found a parking spot in 10 minutes of getting there.. I didnt tempt the freeways tho.. i just took Van Dyke down...

My buddies waitied for 3 fukin hours for a shuttle at macomb mall, and got the last bus before they closed the lot...

God ... doesnt this REALLY fly in the face of SEMCOG and LBPs estimate of NOONE using mass transit??? Fuk.. they got every goddamn bus that ever existed in Detroit in Service today... and its a complete clusterfuk...

Tielerh11
Username: Tielerh11

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 69.216.102.204
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took the shuttle tonight from Fairlane... waited 1.5 hours each way. In line I heard some people make the comment that the money spent on that new 94 bridge/gateway shoulda been spent on a mass transit line

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoopy! A 90-min wait! What about the riders on the 49 Vernor line when three of its four buses aren't running some days? Then it's three hours for that one bus to complete its circuit - I hear. Having three buses off is rare, but it isn't rare for one or two of them to be down.

On a given day, 30% of DDOT's buses aren't running, on average. All we need is more money spent on this type of madness!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1687
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard on WWJ that the organizers underestimated the shuttle usage. It was 4x what they expected. OUCH!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3156
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just imagined how much easier this would have been with shuttle service AND a light rail system.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 851
Posted From: 68.77.160.242
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just imagined how much easier this would have been with shuttle service AND a light rail system.

Then people would complain about how long they had to wait for a train. This region is a bunch of fat crybabies.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1688
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People would cry less if there were more viable options such as a light rail system. We just don't have too many options at the moment.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3158
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly. Options, options, options. Many were completely dependent upon the bus system that obviously wasn't ready for them. A light rail line could have helped distribute ridership better. It really doesn't matter, though, seeing as how it's all just a dream.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most light-rail systems run ineffectively, but at geat expense. and almost all of them are boondoggles.

Take the proposed run from AA to Detroit. Why not share the Michigan Line that's already in service by Amtrak and Norfolk Southern's and other's occasional freights? The Amtrak only has three round-trips daily on those tracks. Dedicated light-rail tracks between AA and Detroit would be an under-utilized, expensive fiasco.

So try and prove how "viable" it is by using the rails already there and see how much (or little) traffic they really would be than on wasting more taxpayers' funds by throwing it at some worthless profs working on another grant or three...

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 509
Posted From: 24.193.39.60
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real test:
Anyone have info on waiting times for shuttles leaving downtown between 2 & 3:AM (just after the bars closed)?

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1006
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! LOL! I can remember waiting two hours for the northbound Linwood bus at Linwood and the Blvd, after dark many nights on my way home from Wayne State.
So what else is new?

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 68.61.194.191
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems the problem was the number of available parking spaces too. Felt bad walking home past the folks waiting for the shuttle on Fort. One woman thought we were taking cuts in line... nope just walking home. The 10:00 AM till three AM shuttle schedule time should be tried for every weekend. Lets see what the traffic is if you don't need to take a car down here.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 68.41.224.19
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad I didn't try the shuttle yesterday. We found a parking spot in the underground parking deck on Jefferson by for $5 all day. I was so happy. :-)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2365
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parked free curbside, corner of Woodward and Edmund. Walked six blocks into the heart of the party.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1232
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Most light-rail systems run ineffectively, but at geat expense. and almost all of them are boondoggles.

...and you would know this how--because you ride rail transit frequently? Do you have an actual source and a method of measurement for this, or are you just repeating the propaganda of the highway lobby?

quote:

Take the proposed run from AA to Detroit. Why not share the Michigan Line that's already in service by Amtrak and Norfolk Southern's and other's occasional freights? The Amtrak only has three round-trips daily on those tracks.

The mode for the Ann Arbor to Detroit route has yet to be determined, but will most likely be commuter rail on existing trackage, due to the length of the route. Light rail is prohibited from running on existing railroad tracks due to Federal Railroad Administration regulations.

quote:

Dedicated light-rail tracks between AA and Detroit would be an under-utilized, expensive fiasco.

Again, where's the research? I do believe they are performing a study precisely to ascertain such things.

I think it's fantastic that Detroiters are realizing the utility of public transit, if only for this one weekend. It's a shame that DDOT has been ill prepared to handle the crowds.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't use "light-rail!" Use a real choo-choo!

Why conduct a "study" when some actual rolling equipment can do the job in its place? Sounss like some one from the "worthless" profs lobby saying: "We need another stinking study so we can buy some more summer cottages."

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1233
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the interest of not hijacking this thread, I'd be happy to discuss this issue further, Livernoisyard. E-mail me: dannyc@umich.edu.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2604
Posted From: 68.79.89.136
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw the shuttles.

I appreciate the concept, but WTF about the regular lines. Where the hell were they this weekend? I just walked 3 1/2 miles after my 4th 14 hour day smiling and being gracious to people that will rarely, if ever, be back here.

Not one bus passed me in either direction on my trek. As one of those people that daily depend on buses or cabs, this weekend sucked. I waited up to 1 1/2 hours for a bus and tonight I just gave up and hoofed it.

When the hell will this region realize that there is a significant population that depend on mass transit. Or maybe we are just marginalized as poor people who deserve less.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 68.252.125.69
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,
Where do you live and what time were you walking that you did not see any buses. Now I understand that late nite bus service doesn't exixt in some parts of the city and it should, but the reason the buses suck in Detroit is RIDERSHIP. A city built for millions will never run right if only occupied but less than half.
I had my girlfriends folks and sister come down, they live in sfld, moms father was a bus driver for DDOT back in the day when she was growing up in the city,of course hand not been on a city nus in over 30 years. I suggested they take the #23 Hamilton from 3rd and Willis. Of course I sent them out there hoping that the bus would be somewhat on time. In the end it was only 20 mins late. I did not go and when she called to see if they should keep waiting I said I would wait twice that before I would walk the 3 blocks to Woodward where it SHOULD come every 10 min. They had wanted to take the shuttle from WSU and I said I knew it would be busy as it was a successful program just over burdened. Once they decided to leave MWB they did not trust my knolwede of the changed routes and asked one of the people in the yellow vests where to catch the #23 Hamilton. They said Capital Park. NOT what I would have suggested, or allowed my girlfriend to do. She was with them and knew I would not approve of her being in Capital Park. I told them to catch it on Congress between Woodward and Griswold.Where I caught it thurs. Where I knew it is ALWAYS safe. But no they went to the park and they of course had some guy come ask Dad for money and my girl gave the answer I have taught her, the guy left and her folks were shocked at how she spoke to this guy but her mom smiled at her when she said all you have to do is be firm. Of course they were still waiting when they see the Mario's shuttle approach, they wave him down and ask for a ride back to the 'hood. Not knowing that he was making a trip over to Tiger Stadium and the Bud Bowl to get some folks. Now I suggested the city bus cause I like the city folk you find on the bus, I don't know I would ever choose the Mario's shuttle over the City Bus especially if it included people leaving the Bud Bowl..........

Jams

Post Number: 2605
Posted From: 68.79.118.2
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman,
Please note, for over 3 years my primary mode of transportation is the bus. I can choose either Lafayette-Van Dyke or the Jefferson lines, each are a 1/2 block from my home. So I am quite familiar with the service and generally forgiving of occasional missing run, and quite frankly expected this weekend to be hit-or-miss for service.

Saturday night, quite a few of us waited over an hour and a half for Van Dyke at the Casino stop, when it arrived it was quite packed already. That route should run every 40 minutes at that time of night. One of my friends I waited with, a worker in a restaurant downtown, expected to only get 2 hours sleep after working a double and return to work Sunday for another double because no bus.

Sunday, I waited over an hour on the Jefferson route, watching up Van Dyke for the other line, finally grabbing a cab to get Downtown, sharing it with another guy who had been waiting longer than me.

After work, I waited over 40 minutes at Jefferson and St. Antoine, where the Lafayette-Van Dyke stop had been moved. Neither line showed. To keep warm I decided to walk from stop to stop, eventually getting home without seeing a single bus pass on either side of Jefferson.

Others will perceive this as just bitching (and to a certain extent it is), but I see it as an indictment of the City not prepared to maintain services to its RESIDENTS who worked their asses off to ensure the VISITORS enjoyed their stay.

Happy to see SBXL over with, now can we get to making our City user friendly 24/7/365?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 740
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, your story should be a testimate as to way the Metro Detroit needs effective mass transit to help get people to their jobs. This is yet another thing that will hurt our region when companies are looking at where they want to locate and stay. I absolutely agree that we needed to look good for our visitors, but now we need to put that same energy as a region we had for the Super into fixing our region, mass transit is a big one.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 828
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shuttled my self down woodward from the WSU area on the shoe-leather express...took all of 15 minutes, and no lines! :-)

Jams

Post Number: 2607
Posted From: 68.79.118.2
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To put it simply, when you walk into a restaurant and order something, do you not expect
to receive what you ordered, not an excuse.

Thats all I'm asking for.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 70.228.59.243
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,
I see it as bitching, but I do see your point, you have a right to bitch.

I was somewhat happy with the change in routes as it dropped me off in front of my store on Griswold and I didn't have to walk from Woodward, and on the way home I just flagged down the #23 out in front of the building as it went by......I, like you, have learned that you go out and wait for the next bus to come not necessarily the next on the scheduale.

The sad part is I think it was Mussolini who vowed if elected he would make the trains run on time, Detroit is ripe for the pickens if a politician could actually deliver. If you could deliver some basic human services that this city is lacking you could be mayor for life here.....

I to am happy SBXL is over and I taken down my SBXL banners.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.