Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Downtown Detroit shooting « Previous Next »
Downtown Detroit shooting - 1Devinc90 02-04-06  4:18 pm
Downtown Detroit shooting - 2The_aram105 02-07-06  5:57 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 970
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Apologies in advance for re-opening a dormant thread...)

Come on people, English may be reacting strongly here but she is not "part of the problem". Nowhere in her posts do I see her saying that no one should care about this shooting, just that it is all too common... I interpret it more as saying that we should care more about all the other shootings, not just this one.

She is doing more than a lot of us by working as a teacher in the Detroit Public Schools, maybe doing her part to help one less kid grow up to be a "thug". So lecturing her on this topic seems a bit silly.

On a side note, this incident was more troubling than most as far as being part of a major event. But for me it was less troubling than the 4th of July incident last year, which was truly random and something I could imagine myself being involved in as a bystander. Not the case here, as it was pretty clear from her dad's admitting that she had a "temper" in that article, that there was more going on than a simple bump-into-someone-and-get-shot .

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1784
Posted From: 4.229.72.205
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well my computer was on the fritz for 2 weeks, so I missed out on all the posts.

In retrospect..... this was one of the most underreported incidents Detroit has ever witnessed. The story was mostly buried in the back pages of newspapers... The major local news channels had all their teams reporting on all the positives of the SuperBowl. They probably didn't want to rain on our parade, since it was their parade as well.

And I have to agree with Super_D and even Ras, (oh God, Hell must be freezing over!)... when I visit the city (or even the suburbs), I don't "disrespect" people, regardless of race. It's that simple. When it comes to strangers, you never know who you're dealing with.

(Message edited by Gistok on February 16, 2006)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5539
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But disrespecting them for being crazy white crank-heads will always get you far...

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 974
Posted From: 68.73.207.58
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In retrospect..... this was one of the most underreported incidents Detroit has ever witnessed.

Very true... that may end up being the most remarkable thing about this incident.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3724
Posted From: 141.217.173.149
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little crazy thing for some crazy folks WILL NOT stop white-folks from comming into to Detroit to live, work and play. They have a way to deal with crazy-folks in Detroit GET SECURITY!! Doesn't matter what the cost. A Detroit ghetto is a Detroit ghetto.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, the recent Comerica bank robbery in Detroit with 10-11 hostages was mentioned in a short report on the local Phoenix TV news. It was a neutral report covered much like any similar Phoenix robbery. I suspect it was covered only because of the large number of hostages.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.