Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Winter Blast returning? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 69.133.93.33
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know if the Winter Blast will be an annual event, or was it created just for the Super Bowl?

I hope it comes back. What a great thing for all of us to do in the middle of the winter.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an annual event. It was here last year as well, so I don't think it's related to the Super Bown at all. Granted, it was FREEZING last year at this time compared to this weekend.

Mj64
Username: Mj64

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 68.40.177.3
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember last winter there was a lot of talk that the MWB was a practice run for this year's. I hope it's an annual event, though -- I'd bet that will depend on the city keeping sponsors. It's a great event!

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 735
Posted From: 69.14.179.212
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Islandman, it's an "annual event" only as of last year. Last year's event was a far smaller version, intended mostly as a trial run for this year's festivities. But I've never heard that the Winter Blast will outlive the Super Bowl. I'm not saying that it won't go on, but it seems somewhat doubtful. There will certainly be far less corporate sponsorship for it without the Super Bowl.

(Message edited by Arab_guyumich on February 04, 2006)

Woodward
Username: Woodward

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We let a camera man for the promoter shoot(video) Clint Black from our loft at Merchant's... he said that they were splicing together footage to pitch to sponsors for next year, so it's definitely not a sure thing...

The whole thing was put on for just $3 mil, but he said the carmakers especially aren't spending too much on promotions like this.

The pitch is to show how great and alive downtown can be with a little support, but the shooting (guns) last nite didn't help.

(Message edited by woodward on February 04, 2006)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 70.236.206.97
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it started last year, but I was hoping it was going to be an "annual event" (such as the auto show) and give people a reason to come downtown during the winter time. Oh well. I was very well attended last year from what I saw..don't see why it couldn't be done every year.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 437
Posted From: 70.236.169.84
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year was a run-through.

I emailed the Winter Blast committee a couple of times the past couple months inquiring about this, no response.

The papers said Kwame, "hinted that he would like to see this become an annual event"....i guess that means it wasnt supposed to be.

I sure hope it does. Im sure it would be scaled back like last year, but that was still GREAT

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3152
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the event last year was a preview and run-through. It takes A LOT to put together and sustain a festival. You need some committed donors/sponsors, committed businesses that will take time our of their normal business schedule to run the different aspects of the festival, permits...

It would definitely be nice to see this outlive the SuperBowl, though.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 504
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And volunteers... who may or may not be so available when its not a warm-up for the SuperBowl or the SuperBowl itself.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3155
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once most events become annual, they usually have a budget and paid workers, and don't mess around with too many volunteers, especially in a union state like Michigan. And people show up when you pay them needless to say.

(Message edited by lmichigan on February 05, 2006)

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it comes back, please don't let them have Coors LIght be the official beer. Yuck!

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 164
Posted From: 68.61.194.191
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wecome to the Detroit Yes! Forum Woodward! Great first post!

Dtwphoenix
Username: Dtwphoenix

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 70.190.215.201
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I imagine Winter Blast being bookended by the MotorCity Bowl on the opening day, and a New Years celebration at the conclusion.
If the MotorCity Bowl could work out a tv time slot with ESPN on the 28th, The Winter Blast could last from the 28th thru the 31st.
The MotorCity Bowl, The Great Lakes Invitational, New Years festivities, and the Winter Blast could play off each other and bring more people downtown when businesses are shut down for the holidays.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 461
Posted From: 24.231.188.86
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be a good idea as well.

However, I think it will, and should, go as it did last year, during the Auto Show, where an extra 775,000 people will bne in town.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1404
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I imagine Winter Blast being bookended by the MotorCity Bowl on the opening day, and a New Years celebration at the conclusion.

That is a great idea! I had heard somebody say something about during the bowl game, but I wasn't sure. Now that I think about like that, I like the idea!

That week is probably pretty slow for a lot of offices around there too.

So is the auto show though...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 326
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be kept during the auto show since that is our signature international event it provoides great chance to show off to out of town journatlist. Locally given the draw it'd help to keep people from just going to the auto show and back home they'd spend even more time downtown hopefully spending more money.

Tabletop
Username: Tabletop

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 141.217.224.87
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Allen made a great suggestion about building Winter Blast in his Crain's email column on Monday:

"Make the Winter Blast a Winter sports spectacular: A year ago, I suggested that, as part of the Super Bowl, the Red Wings should play one of their games outdoors at Comerica Park. That couldn't happen because of commitments for the Super Bowl. But there's no Super Bowl next February.

Here's what I envision: Ford Field hosts basketball games: Pistons vs. Miami or San Antonio or another big draw. Michigan State takes on Michigan. Maybe hold a tournament of the top high schools in the area. Maybe even dig into the elementary schools.

Across the street at Comerica, the Wings play Toronto or Montreal, one of their "Original Six" rivals. And, again, Michigan State and Michigan face off, too. And why not hockey of all levels? The Ontario junior leagues. High schools. Pee-wee. Maybe have a lottery to select two teams among the many adult-onset-athlete leagues. And when the ice isn't in use, people can skate on it. Detroit is, I think, from tots to geezers, the greatest hockey city in the world."

Read it here: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/c gi-bin/editorsChoice.pl?newsId =7889

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3511
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTWPHX - I have been arguing the same idea...great minds think alike.

Here are my reasons....

Starting on the 26th provides a good draw and amenity for the Motorcity Bowl (looks good on TV, gives visitors something to do), might even convince a few of them to stay an extra couple of days.....

The week between Xmas and New Years is shut down for the automotives and their suppliers and schools, so the local families would have plenty time to kill and would provide the needed foot traffic.

Lots of downtown offices are going to have people on vacation during this time period as well, so you mitigate the business interruption for them.

End it on New Years Eve with a First Night celebration like they have in Boston, complete with fire works and concerts......

http://www.firstnight.org/Page s/FirstNight.aspx

(Message edited by skulker on February 10, 2006)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 332
Posted From: 69.221.79.80
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Allen's got a great idea.

Bringing in the rival colleges ala College Hockey at the Joe...but with the basketball twist is excellent...You may get push back from Illitch on hockey outside of his pocketbook...never mind, Comerica is his thurf too!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 884
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only problem with having it so early (late December) would be the probability of no snow.

You need snow for a proper Winter Blast.

I would suggest late February. The city hits the doldrums during that period anyway.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1500
Posted From: 69.212.225.106
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only problem with having it so early (late December) would be the probability of no snow.

Yeah, you're right. There's rarely any snow in Michigan in December.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2005/12/christmas-in-warrenda le.html
and
http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2005/12/let-it-snow.html

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 69.209.162.124
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't depend on snow being there either month - it's the luck of the draw.

February is better IMO - Christmas/New Year's everyone has too many family commmitments/travel plans, etc. I like it in February - a true winter festival in an otherwise blah month. And everyone's idea for hockey and basketball sounds like a blast. And fireworks - gotta have fireworks!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1197
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah February would be a good month because there isn't much going on anyway.

January averages about 12" of snow in Detroit. December and Feb., about 10-11." Last December was very snowy, January was warm, and now February is cold. Sometimes you have warm months with one big storm. Guessing on local weather patterns shouldn't really factor in to deciding when to place the Winterblast, although I see no reason to ever hold it before Christmas, weather aside.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 333
Posted From: 69.221.79.80
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year, it was tied into the Auto-Show, when we have all of the out-of town vistors (during non-superbowl years). We should tie them together again and use it for additional good press for the city...treating those out of town journalists like gold as they were treated in the SB.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.