Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Thank you, Mary Trybus! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's a Detroiter who says this in a NY Times letter today under the headline Detroit's 'Organic Energy':

quote:

To the Sports Editor:

Enough about poor Detroit already. I'm tired of reading ("Detroit Polishes and Demolishes for Super Bowl," Jan. 22) how it is this desperate city, struggling to revitalize or reinvent itself especially for the Super Bowl.

The truth is: We are not glitz or glimmer, and most of us living here don't pretend to be. Detroit is gritty and old. It is stricken by abundant ruins, high unemployment, struggling schools and budget crises. But, in part because of all of these things, Detroit has an organic energy that is compelling and inspirational. Since moving into the city eight years ago, I have discovered Detroit is the world's largest small town. In the cultural community, everyone knows everyone, and for the most part, supports one another. Over the years, this has led to enthralling art and, especially, remarkable music.

Detroit has something unique to offer, and that is a gritty soul. It is something to be explored and appreciated, not pitied.

Mary Trybus
Detroit

Also a shout-out to Edward A. Johnson Jr. of Troy, whose similar letter follows Mary's and ends with:

quote:

Even folks like me who live in its suburbs are sick of hearing outsiders complain about [Detroit].

Way to tell it, neighbors!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.