Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » My Day in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Toriani
Username: Toriani

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.242.213.65
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My boyfriend and I started by going to Eastern Market to get supplies to make ribs. We met an amazing man in a spice shop, who helped us find some fresh herbs. We only needed a few sprigs, but were prepared to buy a whole bunch as usual, but this gentleman bought the herbs and gave us what we needed for free. I left Eastern Market thinking that stuff like this doesn't happen in the burbs. Detroit is full of generous, wonderful people. If you know a retired man named Bernard(o?) who does catering in his free time, tell him we won't forget his kindness.

But then I got scammed. I saw the marquee at the Fine Arts Theater was advertising LL Cool J on Feb 4. I love his music. I really wanted to go. Eventually the event popped up on ticketmaster, so my boyfriend got tickets for me and another friend of ours. We spent over $300 bucks, but hey, it's super bowl weekend. We thought things were just expensive. We also thought it was a concert, which it was not. LL made an "appearance." He mingled with the crowd and left. I asked for my money back. They promoter tried to tell me that this was never billed as a concert.

Now I understand when Puff Daddy throws a party, he's most likely not performing. Most likely he got paid a wad of cash to just show up. But, this was not billed as LL Cool J's dance party. Or LL Cool J's Cashmere Lux Party. Ticketmaster said "LL Cool J." The marquee said "LL Cool J." Am I insane to be angry?

I probably would be less angry if the promoter was from out-of-state, but she's a local promoter. She tried to tell me that LL Cool J WAS performing: his performance was walking through a crown with about 8 security guards. That's entertainment?

Furthermore, the VIP area was eventually closed off, so even if you bought a VIP ticket, you weren't allowed up there. If you left and tried to come back, you weren't allowed back up. My friends and I got split up because of this.

As we left my boyfriend told some people that LL Cool J wasn't performing. One of the security people said to him: "get out of here white boy."

I love this city; I live here. I'm so proud of what it's accomplished, but I feel like it is breaking my heart one moment and ripping it out the next.

Anyway, am I insane to be upset? Is this run-of-the-mill-super bowl-party way?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 636
Posted From: 69.220.224.157
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like sleazy, shitty, trashy people to me and you have every right to be pissed.

Reminds me of the tickets we bought for the Majestic Cafe's "Thanksgiving Day Parade Celebration" a few years ago. We thought it would be nice to have breakfast and drinks as the parade rolled by on Woodward. Instead, when we got there, a private party was booked in the dining room, so the "celebration" was held in the cold, dark, smellin'-like-dance club, windowless auditorium.

Getting scammed sucks - so sorry. Take comfort in the fact that most everyone who walked in and out of that place had to feel the same way as you did.

I don't know... somehow I don't think we've heard the last of this one.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 592
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Run of the mill... Everyone is out to make and take a buck or two. Just pass it off as greed and accept that things can and will be different next time; when you're at home watching reruns of "In The House."

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 249
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"get out of here white boy."

I didn't know Lonnie Bates got a job as a security guard. Good to know he's keeping busy. :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 850
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to tell you this, but paid appearances are standard operating procedure at all those NY and LA parties that you always hear about - even the fashion shows with all the big stars sitting next to the runway.

Just another reason to NOT have Detroit mimic other cities that are said to be so 'cool'.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 464
Posted From: 70.236.176.171
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This type of thing happened to me and some friends when we were in Cleveland for the NBA All Star game some years back.

Just one of those things that happens when people try to get their share of the SuperBowl pie. Typical greedy capitalism.

I would be pissed too, dishonesty is inexcusable. How dare she say that he did perform. Who is this promoter? I'd like to know for future reference.

later - naturalsister

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 68.61.194.191
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naturalsister did someone give you fresh herbs in Cleveland? por que you would be pissed? 8=P

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.