Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Tales of two cities: Seattle and Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 852
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.c om/html/opinion/2002785532_ves ely05.html?syndication=rss

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 737
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting comparison...like a lot of people say we have the potential to continue to improve the city, or not.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a fair comparison. Seattle went through a major downtown building boom in the mid '70's after the Boeing Bust (Billboard: Will the last one leaving Seattle please turn out the lights?), with the then IBM Building--the box the Space Needle came in--and Ranier Tower, along with the revitalization of Pioneer Square. Now, however....

...the emphisis has shifted somewhat to the 'burbs, most noticably Bellevue and Redmond, due in part to the Microsoft boom. This is not to say downtown Seattle is withering, the city has gone to great lengths help make sure that won't happen, but the westside suburbs are sure acting a lot mory like Troy than Ferndale or Royal Oak.

Mayor Royer is right in saying one of the ways to revitalize a downtown is to get people living there. A downtown population breaths life into a city, gives smaller service businesses a reason to be there (Any downtown Detroit grocery stores, drug stores, dry cleaners?), and help keep the appearence of the community up. As an aside, I keep reading about Downtown lofts, but given the view of both the river and Lake St. Clare, I'm suprised I'm not hearing about mid-rise co-ops along the waterfront.

Charlie Royer is a bit of a liberal visionary, but if I were the mayor of Detroit, I would ask Royer to come in and make an assessment of what should be done to rejuvinate the city....not on an economic scale, but a livability one. Do the latter, the former will tag along.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 854
Posted From: 68.248.33.214
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

(Any downtown Detroit grocery stores, drug stores, dry cleaners?

Yes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.