Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Dreaming? I'd Love to See these Developments « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tonym
Username: Tonym

Post Number: 123
Posted From: 68.54.43.10
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

W Hotel and Condos on the Statler site; Four Seasons on the Hudsons site; prime retail on Washington Ave.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 488
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I care about now is Rock Financial moving to the Hudson's site. David Hall was at the Rock Financial showplace last Saturday night for the Taste of the NFL, and I just wanted to drive over there and create a huge scene, begging him on my hands and knees to move the Rock Financial hq to downtown Detroit.....well not really, but I did briefly think about how funny and ridiculous that would look.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 272
Posted From: 69.209.163.183
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

david hall sucks

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm also looking forward to see building developments for the Woodward block(Hudsons'site) and Monroe block in the future.One of those will happen after the One Kennedy Sq. is complete.The city should keep the sky lights on the buildings. That made downtown looks outstanding at night!

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 68.252.125.69
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could find an investor in MY 60 year old retail business in Downtown. These projects ALL get big loans and tax abatements and the little guy gets to wait and see if things pan out? My father died 6 years ago and i took over his store. People said Compuware is coming just wait, then Julian Scott came and I thought we were headed in right direction, and hotels were gonna be built and some rebuilt and all kinds of other projects have been propsed and for one reason or another have not materalized...I am still waiting....But in the mean time, The Federal Reserve Bank has left, the NBD/BANKONE/CHASE building is nearly empty, and GM took the Ren Cen and all the state workers moved to Grand Blvd. drive around downtown on sat or sun and look for the trucks in front and in the alleys of the buildings and more are moving out than in. Ask any resturant that has been open longer that 2 years if there are more or less people downtown at noon. Yes there are new folks living downtown, but I could never afford one of those places (my 2200sq ft in midtown goes for $1200/the 1200sq ft below me goes for $750 ) and I hear the units are not selling anywhere near as fast the builders had hoped, the people who made out are the folks who sold their property within the last 10 years. Most paid very little and got alot. I know I sound bitter but it has been a tough 6 years. If I knew it was going to start to getting better I would give everything I had to have the funds to wait it out, but there is no way to tell how long it will take. I wish I was so busy that I had to hire a few workers, a repairman so I didn't have to do the repair myself. I could even pay to park in the new parking structures that are mostly empty during the work week. I would still buy a bus card for when I venture out to the burbs.....I love Detroit, it's just killing me.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 936
Posted From: 69.212.173.138
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me Bagman, what do you do to promote your business to downtown workers/residents?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 642
Posted From: 69.220.224.157
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing. Let it go.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1193
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But in the mean time, The Federal Reserve Bank has left, the NBD/BANKONE/CHASE building is nearly empty, and GM took the Ren Cen and all the state workers moved to Grand Blvd.

Don't forget that GM moved its employees downtown, and EDS followed, and Compuware, and PWC, and now Ernst and Young. And new lofts have contributed to downtowns population actually increasing for the first time in how many years?

I'm really sick of bad business owners blaming the city for their failure. Stop sitting on your ass waiting for someone else to do something and do something yourself.

The city offered facade improvement moneys to small businesses to help make their facades more attractive and inviting to the public. This wasn't meant for big coporations, but the small business that you claim are being neglected.

Work with local business owners to start a First Fridays where everyone stays open late. Or sit on your computer and bitch about how the city doesn't prop your business up.

Street improvements, facade grants, new lighting, help every small business in the city.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 194.138.39.55
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, by and large, the Chamber of Commerce is useless, but it IS good for networking and coordinating with other local businesses. We use our local Chamber to get the word out about our business and it has helped... even if it's only 10%, it's better than nothing.

As a fellow business owner, I know what a PAIN owning a shop means, but small shops do not run themselves and they require constant TLC and attention. It takes a special person to be a business owner. A special person with alot of energy.

Bagman

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 70.228.59.243
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
And new lofts have contributed to downtowns population actually increasing for the first time in how many years?

I am waiting to see those numbers.

Gogo - I guess because I am in what at one time was a class A building that is now almost empty many things are beyond my control. I never mentioned the facade money that I was not entitled to, but yes you would have thought that EVERY building owner would have taken advantage of that program. All I do is complain that there are no longer the numbers of folks downtown to sell to. It is not my job to bring people down here....I do all I can when someone calls from the burbs and says that they would prefer I had a location out there instead of Downtown. Until they gave away the city run lot across the street we even paid our customers parking. As to GM and EDS employees they don't leave the Ren Cen....We see a few here and there from all those companies.....For the last 30+ years we have been giving a discount to employees of firms downtown. We are a very old fashion company. We still offer house accounts for most firms, but I can show you a charge book that goes back 30 years and most of the firms listed, if they still exist in any form they have moved out of Downtown. Also I am the 1st to admit that my industry has changed, since 9-11 drastically changed. Firms no longer offer to purchase a business case for new employees, most people buy low end not the higher quaility I sell. 12+ stores that sell the same items I do have closed out in the burbs in the last 5 years including a nationwide firm that had nine stores in the burbs. I started getting many more calls once they all closed. It just is very difficult to get folks to venture downtown. I offer to meet folks here any time of the day or night and once in a while I will stay late to meet with folks who are coming down to a hockey game or a show or some event.
In my opinion the rents for office space have to come way down so that the buildings we have that can be rented will fill up. Then the retail and the food will return. I didn't chase the people away I am just waiting for them to come back. Please understand that if I run radio spots or take out a print add it will cost thousands and the return would never cover the costs.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 148.61.248.29
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is not my job to bring people down here"

Then whos job is it? It doesn't sound unreasonable to hear one business person say that, but the problem is if everyone says "it's not my fault/problem, and then it becomes obvious that it isn't a good attitude.

"We are a very old fashion company"

"most people buy low end not the higher quaility I sell"

The modernize, and start selling what people are buying! Being stubborn isn't going to help your business. And you say that once in a while you stay late? In my opinion, if you were really working you'd be staying late every night, if buisiness is as horrible as you say.

Have you joined any business associations? Is your office clean and inviting? Does your company act profesionally with its customers? Are you confident in your downtown location? (I don't think people respond well to "oh, I'm sorry, you have to come to downtown... sorry..."). Maybe take a few business courses at a community college if you haven't already. I'm not sure what kind of a business you are, or where you are downtown, but how did you take advantage of the Super Bowl? Did you consider putting ads in your windows or something like that? I'm not a business person, but I know that there are things that you can do to help, and judging by your attitude and what you say, you're not doing them.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1398
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

many things are beyond my control.

Don't worry about the things outside your control. Do what IS in your control.

quote:

All I do is complain

Exactly.

quote:

I never mentioned the facade money that I was not entitled to

You mean to tell us your landlord wouldn't let you front part or all of your part of a match for your own storefront?

quote:

It is not my job to bring people down here

It is not solely your job, but is is your job. If there are 100 businesses in the city, than the job of bringing people down is 1% theirs.

quote:

As to GM and EDS employees they don't leave the Ren Cen

How many of them know you are there? Do a direct mailing to the offices or walk door to door in there.

quote:

We are a very old fashion company.

Exactly. Those go out of business all of the time, everywhere.

quote:

I am the 1st to admit that my industry has changed

Then why are you ok with being old fashioned?

quote:

In my opinion the rents for office space have to come way down

You may be right, but remember that this is out of your control.

quote:

I am just waiting for them to come back.

What if the people are coming back, they just aren't coming back to your establishment?

quote:

Please understand that if I run radio spots or take out a print add it will cost thousands and the return would never cover the costs.

I understand that. I honestly don't think that would be very productive if you could afford it. It sounds like your business is best marketed through word of mouth and personal service. So take action to increase and improve those. Find new ways of providing them. Sitting and waiting for people to call or find you isn't going to work.

Bagman

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jasoncw:
You said it you, are not a business person, or a good reader it appears. No where have I said " "oh, I'm sorry, you have to come to downtown.." FUCK THEM! Actually I am offended by people who won't come down,and challange most people who claim they won't. I remind them there is more crime where they live then anywhere near my store. The CBD is probably one of the safest parts of the city, but I guess I didn't make all that clear.
The fact is that I don't want to and won't move my store to the burbs just to do more business. Back 15 years ago when my Dad asked if I thought we should close our Downtown store and just keep the Southfield location open or the other way around, I voted to keep Downtown open and close Sfld. Now in retrospect I made the wrong move but the right decision. We are a Detroit company, while we ventured into the burbs in the '80s we belong in a Downtown, a Downtown full of people.

As for your questions:
I don't sell junk, I educate my customers. But they have to come here to get the education on what to buy.
I stayed every saturday for years and as business stopped coming downtown on saturdays it made no sense to be here.
The Super Bowl: I have asked every merchant on the block and except for the one that got busted for selling knock off NFL products (Lions hats), everybody said that they got exactly what they expected NOTHING! Ok so my friend at the camera store said he sold a few throw away cameras, but not enough to warrant being open. I was open all day friday and did NO actuall business, I am on the corner of Fort and Griswold and except for the people looking for cigeretts and a restroom nobody came in looking for the things I sell like luggage, briefcases or even umbrellas and it was raining. Originally I wanted to move my store out and rent my space to someone, I had three brokers trying to rent my space......NO TAKERS....
As for price/service/location........ .We have a VERY loyal customer base, it's just shrinking....and no matter what anybody says people do not come downtown to shop like they used to. I tell people I am on the hottest corner in the deadest city in America....Detroit has become a suburb of itself.
There used to be 12 luggage stores south of the Fisher Fwy I am the only one left.
There also used to be 2.2 mil people in this city, now there is less than half.
What I did say is that when requested I stay late but you should know, since you questioned you must care, I posted a sign on all my windows that said "In town for the Super Bowl? We have 24 hr service available, please call 313-962-6589 for information". I got 4 calls in the 6 days that the signs were up. Only one really wanted to buy anything (a fanny pack, $15), two were folks who work downtown and wanted to know if I was open since they had come down for the MWB, and said they would return this week. The other was a guy who wanted to know if I had a croc bag. I said I don't keep them in stock but would be happy to order one and they are about $3500 and come in black. He said he was looking for lime green to match his shoes, Welcome to Detroit........hey I tried...and another thing, I ran a 40% off sale the two weeks before the big weekend and the first week had some action but the week before the Superbowl, downtown was a mess, it killed what regular business might have come in, and I assume once they clean up and open the streets the action will pick up, same thing happened when the All Star game was here, business dies for the few days the people who work downtown stay away to avoid any hassels.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 487
Posted From: 84.156.6.173
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, bagman... Here's my thought. A small business, like yours, offers a high end product which would be typical for lawyers or managers, etc... Every single building in the CBD has these types in them. You say you have books and contacts with these firms. You have taken the reigns of the business 6 years ago... do these firms KNOW you're still there? What do you do to remind them?

In my opinion, you should know each and every secretary in every building in the CBD. You should take your lunch break and go visit them from time to time. New company? Send the secretary a vase with a pink rose and a flier about your business! Going door to door is not glamorous, but if it will get your name on the lips of the people who are going to call for your kind of products, then it's working. And hell, if there aren't enough business Downtown to keep you busy, fax off fliers to the suburban offices. If they need/want your product, well, they will just have to come on downtown! Nothing wrong with that...

All I can say is, businesses that wait for people to walk through their doors... close. Oh and I'm not saying spend a ton of money to do this, but put your feet to the pavement, man. Like my Grandma always said to me, "God only helps those who help themselves!"

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In my opinion, you should know each and every secretary in every building in the CBD.

Perfect suggestion!

I had some other comments written up, but I lost them in an IE error. To busy now.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hoping to see an interactive Motown Museum along with a serious menu (should have Frank Taylor/Robert Porcher manage that part of it).

Would like to see a techno (but I am a house head) themed hotel.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 488
Posted From: 84.156.6.173
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quickdraw, that's a sweet idea... Could you imagine an absolutely psychodelic/Modern hotel with a "rave club" and a sweet lounge? That would kick ass. You'd have europeans flocking there.

Bagman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duo,
I am not complaining that the people downtown don't know I'm here. I do believe that most do and most are customers, the problem is I and many others can't stay if we don't get MORE people down here. I do think that after 60 years I only do business because of word of mouth. I only really have one complaint and that is the lack of people. Your suggestions of direct mailings are cost prohibitive and going after suburban folks and trying to convince them to come downtown is very difficult.

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering that the most of the GM, EDS, Compuware, and soon IBM and E&Y employees were in other locations just a bit ago, I would doubt that they all know you even exist. And if they do know you exist, they probably don't know what you have to offer.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 458
Posted From: 68.250.41.178
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Direct mailings are cost prohibitive?? It doesnt cost much to send 20 faxes to the major buildings downtown. Doesnt cost much to wander over on your lunch break with a flier to give to the secretary.

The Penobscot Building DID participate in the facade improvement, even though it wasnt targeted for one. You are on the corner right near Campus Martius Park, you cannot honeslty say that there was more traffic downtown 5-10 years ago. I have seen a major increase in just 2 years. Ever looked out at campus martius?? EVERYDAY during the warmer months, the place is packed. With the Lions and Tigers move downtown in 2000 and 2002, certainly added ppl walking by. I know I came into youre store to buy something as u were closing, and u didn't allow me and the friend I was with to grab what we wanted. I guess because we were young, you didnt expect us to buy something. Oh well, $20 out of your pocket.

Change up your window display, post a flier somewhere downtown. Make sure your name is in all of the downtown brochures that list retail.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3496
Posted From: 141.217.55.70
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I never mentioned the facade money that I was not entitled to, but yes you would have thought that EVERY building owner would have taken advantage of that program.

Tenants of buildings are still eligible to access facade improvement grants. Work with your landlord.

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tenants of buildings are still eligible to access facade improvement grants. Work with your landlord.

Thanks Skulker, that was part of my lost post, except I had to qualify it with an "I beleive."

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 962
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also I am the 1st to admit that my industry has changed, since 9-11 drastically changed. Firms no longer offer to purchase a business case for new employees, most people buy low end not the higher quality I sell. 12+ stores that sell the same items I do have closed out in the burbs in the last 5 years including a nationwide firm that had nine stores in the burbs.

I think that just about says it all. The fact that you managed to stay open while a dozen similar stores closed in the burbs says something, at least. I sympathize with the very tough market you must be facing.

I disagree with you if you are saying that downtown retail in general is still on a downward trend. It looks to me like it declined for a long time to a nearly dead state, has plateaued, and is showing some signs of a possible comeback. However, some of the consumers behind that possible retail comeback (e.g. new loft dwellers) may or may not be in line with the more traditional office worker clientele that your particular business serves. The number of residents is certainly increasing downtown but I'm not sure if the number of office workers is.

So, I'm not sure what the answer is for you, but you may need to get creative along the lines that some here have suggested.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll buy a bag from you. Just stay open till the summer, when I come looking for a breifcase/ or some kind of European Carry-All.

"It's EUROpean" -seinfeld

Linus
Username: Linus

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 209.91.60.207
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For fresh energy (at a low cost), maybe you could contact the Advertising/Art/Architecture departments at local colleges and ask the teachers if any of their promising students would like to take on your business image as a class project?

Bagman

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That doesn't sound like me. What did you want that I sell for $20, that I wouldn't sell you? $20 buys me dinner, I never ask anyone to leave if they want to buy something......Sorry, I can't imagine you are correct. Also, how long have you been coming downtown, have you ever heard of Kennedy Square? People used to go there to eat lunch and see concerts and hear political speaches and the like....

Skulker: Not sure how I could use the money to imporve the facade of a building I don't own. The Penobscot got some money and used it as they saw fit, I think for weatherproofing?

jsmyers:
You have no idea. The HR dept of every one of those companies has been notified of who we are and that we offer a discount. How many people do you think all these companies represent? Compuware is a 3000 person firm...NBD/Bank One/Chase has laid off more than that and their building is near empty. I have said before.....the fact that some of these large firms have moved in, many others have left or laid off so many that we have less not more. I don't doubt more are coming, but many have not been able to hang on while we wait. I point to places like Cafe Detroit, Dress Barn, L&L Books (closed years before Borders got here),Julian Scott, Style, Gail's Office Supply(funny thing is after they left we now see two or three office supply compaines making deliveries by truck into Downtown), H&H Clothing, Northwest Airlines....and a few others I can't remember but the all gave up waiting for the numbers of people to return.

Bagman

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wmuchris:
Why wait, the 40% off sale ends FRIDAY?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in serious need of a new briefcase too. Unfortunately I'm 2000 miles away until April. Hope to see you then, Bagman!

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1403
Posted From: 69.220.233.220
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The HR dept of every one of those companies has been notified of who we are and that we offer a discount.

You have no idea if you think that contacting the HR department is going to get all 3000 people in a firm to know who you are and what you do.

95% of what people hear from HR goes in one ear and out the other. Like Detroitduo said, you should know every secretary in every office in every firm downtown...personally.

That is the beauty of your downtown location. You can get somebody to watch your store during the slowest time of the day, and go visit all of these people.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 459
Posted From: 71.10.63.57
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman,

I know all about Kennedy Square. I am referencing the last 10 years. Campus Martius has made downtown more lively than the area was in the past 10 years.

All I was buying was the Detroit or Motown version of monopoly as a gift for an out-of-towner last year (u had them displayed in your window, i think they are still there). It may not have been $20, but somewhere around that range i think. Ended up buying it at Pure Detroit. Obviously, a board game sale is not going to do much for your business, just stating that here is one customer that was willing to buy something...Those $20's start adding up pretty quickly. Anyway, I walked in while you were at the register about to lock up, and said u were closed. No big deal again, just another reason to stay open a little later. with the sports events going on downtown at 7 or 730, I would imagine that a few of the 25,000 people attending would stop by the store.

Anyway, I will be back in your store sometime, maybe I will point myself out. I hope u succeed, you are in my favorite building downtown, and seem to be in a great location. Best of Luck. Take any advice u get from the people on this forum, it could help

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman, do you do online sales? One thing I searched for this past Christmas but couldn't find was a comprehensive downtown Detroit portal to stores which sold online, making it easier to support the ones with limited hours. Maybe talk to the mapdetroit folks about integration.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 797
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

Bagman, I have read this thread and have also seen that there are people right here on the forum interested in helping you out. I don't actually know what business is yours downtown but I have a general idea.

You should rethink your marketing strategy as it relates to today. There are are actually a few good ideas right here in this thread. I understand that you have been in the business for years but as time changes so does the needs of people.

I would suggest that you make yourself more visible. You could get the fax numbers to every office in the CBD on the internet. I bet if you were as creative as you are mad, your business would increase some. Personally, I prefer to shop Detroit and wish there were more retail in the downtown area. Tomorrow I further my investment in the city and I move into my new diggs 1 mile from downtown.

By the way I am in the market for new luggage, briefcase and a carrier for a laptop(soon). I would be more than happy to check out your business.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman,
Also, do you have in stock any of the "courier bags" that have become so trendy as of late? I would think that a lot of the people who are moving into the downtown area would be likely to buy something like that. Great bag for city living....Just a thought, I am not pretending i know your customer more then you do, just a thought. http://www.rei.com/category/45 01698.htm

Skulker

Post Number: 3498
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Skulker: Not sure how I could use the money to imporve the facade of a building I don't own. The Penobscot got some money and used it as they saw fit, I think for weatherproofing?

Awnings, lighting, widow repairs and upgrades, new doors, basically any archtectural enahncements to the storefront that could be done to make your place more attractive. Approach your landlord about ideas to improve your street presence.

Gogo

Post Number: 1204
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman - I'm guessing by all the clues here that you own the luggage store in the Penobscot. To be honest, I went in there once and really didn't see anything I had to have. I don't really buy luggage a lot, so unless something really jumped out at me, I probably wouldn't buy something in any luggage store I went into.

I know there is a travel agency in the Penobscot, do you two do any cross marketing?

I noticed that for a while the luggage and camera store shared a space at the corner of the penobscot. Seems like maybe a better "synergy" might be to share a retail space with a travel agency. I think the camera store moved, but I don't recall if anything filled its place. Would they be interested in relocating?

The only reason I went in the luggage store was because I was at the camera store, but if I were traveling, I think I'd be more likely to go in the luggage store and purchase something.

The window display could use some energy as it doesn't really make me want to go in.

And as others have mentioned, a website would be super duper.

In summary, you just can't put a bunch of merchandise in a store and call it good. Being a small business owner is HARD work. Both of my parents were self employed and my dad owned two small businesses which he worked very very hard at while he was young. As he got old and bored with it it was obvious and it eventually went out of business. You can't just do what you've always been doing and expecting things to workout.

(Message edited by gogo on February 07, 2006)

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 463
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, coordinating with the travel agency seems like a great idea. If u havent already, Bagman, check it out

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6668
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if the city would allow it but you may want to check to see if they will let you advertise and put up a little stand in CM during the warmer months.

Take a few pieces that are the top seller and set up a display/table and offer some type of deal on luggage purchased at CM. Being so close to such a great resource could be an advantage.

The question is whether the city would allow that. If you do customer stuff maybe you could work with Hard Rock since people will buy anything with that silly logo.

Perhaps a table at the WSU (and UDM) welcome center during orientation with bags/gear that is more suited for college students. Ideally people should come to the business but in rough times the business has to go to the people.

Gogo

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm also a big fan of merchants getting together to stay open late just one night a month.

The DIA's first fridays have been so successful that they are open late with activities and packed every friday.

Getting all of downtowns merchants to stay open late for one night of the month would be great for many people who can't support downtown business during the day. CMP already does live performances during the summer months on fridays. It would be a great opportunity to have a sidewalk sale so to catch passerbys attention that may not otherwise notice there was even a store there.

Of course, if you do this by yourself, then you just look wierd. But if a lot of businesses in downtown do it, then it looks good. Odd how that works.

Broken_main

Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh!!! I get it now...Bagman, lugggage...I am really a lil slow this week.

Jt1

Post Number: 6672
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if preservation Wayne could start including quick stops into stores in the buildings that are part of the tours.

If a few extra minutes of stops in stores help local business it can't be bad.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5499
Posted From: 208.27.203.125
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got back from a mini spree at Bagman's shop. Many thanks for the personal attention and generous discounts.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good to hear.

maybe all of this criticizing and attention is paying off just from the forum :-)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5500
Posted From: 208.27.203.125
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I had to put out. But still, a discount is a discount.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant generating business for him lol

Bagman

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While advertising does not really work, being here on the forum does:
I just had my first FORUMer who introduced himself. He even spent some money...Of course the ads in the Free Prees in Nov & Dec gift section brought nothing, nor did the ad in the Next Stop which was handed out on the People Mover route, .....

As for those of you out there needing things, PLEASE introduce yourselves, as an incentive any FORUM'er who does will get a 50% discount.

Gogo:
The camera was a sub-tenant of mine, when he moved out I had to expand back into that space and pay ALL the rent. The only reason the camera store was here was he was a friend of my Dads and when things started to really slow down 9+ years ago, Dad brought him in to split the rent. He then wanted his own space and truth be told I think he left so he could sub-lease part of his new space to his "friend", the girl that ownes the travel agency. So now her old space inside the building is vacant, fed ex is gone and now the camera store and the travel agency are in that space.

Jt1- The city has nothing to do with Campus Martius, it's a private park. The do not allow any of the things you suggested. I even offered to rent advertising space, they are not interested.

Skulker: I am not sure you get it? I only rent the inside space, I have no right to make ANY improvements to the facade.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bagman,

you dont happen to have a website do u?? let me know

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2449
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

motor do you do anything with websites? If so then I may have need of your services...

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont personally have much experience with websites.

But, I know some people that design website for some companies around here in brighton. send me an email if u need something, and i can try and track them down. nickq2o2o2 @ yahoo dot com

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do...

Well actually I am a Web Developer, dealing mostly with the back end of things, but I would like to consult with a designer for a project that I am currently working on now...

Bagman

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2026:
No I do not. I can get any product you find on the web. Development costs on a web site are way to high. I carry well over 1000 differant items, most of which you will find do not sell well on the web.
I wonder how many people spend $250-$500 on item on the web. I think most people want to make their major purchases from someone they can go back to when and if they have a problem.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bag I may be able to save you on costs for a web site...

send me an email detroitstylin2000 at yahoo.com

Trust me bag with some of the items you carry, you;d make ut alright. (I have been in your store a few times myself).

Skulker

Post Number: 3502
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am not sure you get it? I only rent the inside space, I have no right to make ANY improvements to the facade.

Yes I do get it. The model of a tenant accessing the facade improvement grant money to improve the exterior of their retail space has been used and can still be used. The grant is originated through you by the landlord, effectively using you as a pass through to get the grant if they have already accessed money for other exterior improvements. In all likelihood the landlord will request you pick up a portion of the tab.

That is assuming you have a reasonable relationship with your landlord.

Gogo

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder how many people spend $250-$500 on item on the web.

Probably not many. But it will show your customers everything you carry. A lot of people may peak inside your store and think the selection doesn't match what they want. If they can browse everything you carry and can order, then they can get a better idea of everything you have. A lot of restaurants have websites, its not so people can order food online, its so they can see what your about, what services you offfer, what your hours are, and what you sell.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I bet no one has any idea you carry over 1000 items in that space. i would invest in a website

Jt1

Post Number: 6677
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be peeking at your inventory items right now so I could see what I need then set up a time to meet with you after hours or weekend.

Broken_main

Post Number: 800
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What time does the shop close Bagman?? I will stop by and see what you have.

Bagman

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok I hate to advertise here as I feel it is not appropriate, but I will answer questions.
Cadillac Luggage is the store, we are here Monday thru Fri 10am -4;30 pm.....If you call us during business hours we can make an appointment for anytime you would like. We carry luggage, business cases, wallets, small leather goods and a side line of MC5 music and books by former White Panthers Pun Plamondon and John Sinclair.

While I do appreciate all the kind words and suggestions how to make my business better, my bigger issue is how do will fill up downtown, NOW not in 20-30 years, and everyday all day not just for events. I have watched the numbers dwindle to the point that I have to care what a few folks on a forum think as they appear to be some of the only people who actually support downtown and spend money here.

Maybe next weeks sale will be:
"DetroitYES.com days - tell us your member name and save"
Lowell - is that allowed?

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 484
Posted From: 69.14.248.252
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a web site would help your cause bagman. ESPECIALLY since you are a "niche" business. People will spend $500.00 in an instant on the internet if it's something they want and they know you are legit - which you are and can be proven with a couple of emails. Shoot - I sold a car on ebay to someone in Illinois for $10,000 and they didn't know me from Adam. I bought a drumset from a store in Grand Rapids, a niche/specialty store and paid over a grand for it - no problem. A phone call after checking out his site and boom! we have a deal. It's just another billboard for you and I would suggest you look into it. A lot of businesses that are more 'niche" like you are do most of their business on the web. It's suited for you! In fact most of them are ONLY doing online/mail order. Things are a bit different in this day and age and I think there is still a market out there for you. Good luck.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1413
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder how many people spend $250-$500 on item on the web.

A LOT is my answer to that question. It may not solve all your problems, but it's like bonus money. If you can get some of your more sought-after or popular things up there.

I checked my email this afternoon and I had sales in Ann Arbor, Oakland CA and British Columbia. I had two really good sales to customers in NYC last week. Like, one bought a sofa.

Some of it is referral - "my friend got her sofa from you and I love it," some is random, but they all check out my website first, and I would have had none of those sales without it. And it isn't even updated!

I cannot emphasize strongly enough - get a website. Even if people hear about your shop, they are much more likely to stop in if they know something about it.

Oh, and try and have an attractive website done, not a slapdash nephew job.

And? Try merchandising better. I mean this as tough love: your spot needs a makeover. People expect a place selling upscale items to look upscale. I walked by your shop a bunch of times and never gave it a second glance until you started posting on here. If that spot were redone so people would actually notice it (and a strobe light or constantly-burning "open" sign doesn't count), you would probably attract many more passers-by.

Frankly, you need to re-brand yourself.

I would also seriously recommend staying open at least 8 hours a day. 10-4:30 is really restrictive and, frankly, insane, unless this is your second job. Or you are a lunch restaurant.

Retail is not supposed to be easy, and single-outlet retail ownership is only worth it if you are rolling in dough or get some other intangible benefit from it. It's always a fight. You could make some very basic but essential changes (that need not cost a fortune) and you would probably see increased store traffic as well as gain some new enthusiasm for your endeavor.

(Message edited by dialh4hipster on February 09, 2006)

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree about the "niche" business. I work for a vintage watch shop in Brighton, and now 90% of sales are done online.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 68.76.52.15
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a repost of my post that that disappeared during the server upgrade.

Thanks for the info about your store. Even if you had a website that was only one page, which listed the above info and some pics of the store, as well as a map of where you are, I bet it would help your business.

I am 27 and before I go anywhere or buy anything, even if it is to a restaurant or bar, I always look to see if they have a website. If they do not, I find it frustrating and I am less likely to go there. I'll bet many people in my age group are the same way. Plus, I think your store has the kind of name that makes people want to shop there, a web presence might help for when people in the Detroit area simply google " Detroit, Luggage" to find a store who sells what you do.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1448
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, look what happened to this store when they made it look more appealing:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/ncfacade0221.aspx

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 528
Posted From: 69.246.5.196
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/karmanos.aspx

This from the Peter Karmanos story, I wonder who he's refering to with the "online forum" line.

quote:

“There’s a rumor that another major corporation with as many employees and the same demographic as us is moving down here,” he says. (Check the local online forums for well-educated speculation and some rational good guessing about who that might be).

He later goes on to say (which I completely agree with)

quote:

The problem is almost a knee-jerk reaction that people out in the northern and northwestern suburbs have. They keep looking at (the city) through random, 30-year-old stories

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.