Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit on Google « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1194
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know how google lists its image searches?? Is it by most current?? Most viewed?

For I don't know how long, when ever I search "Detroit" under google images the following image is always the first to pop up:

detroitbad

With all the nice shots of Detroit from this week, I'd think that more of those would inch their way to the top of the search, but no such luck.

Is there anyway that we can get some nice images to pop up at the top of the list on the Google image search?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 669
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's very odd I agree. I'm not sure why this image comes up first, usually means that it's a popular image. If you look at the url for the image though it's buried in the labor website for indiana university! I can't believe this image is that popular.

Images need great alt tags with specific terms in them to come up here...and like I said they need to be popular (good associated page rank, lots of views, inbound links to that page, etc.) But google is an odd duck...contantly changing their algorithms for who knows what reason and to do who knows what. For instance, the second image has no alt tag for a desciption, and a fairly non-descriptive file name. But it's #2.

(Shoulder shrug) If we can figure out a way to beat google at their own game then we should...but better minds than ours have tried and failed.

Try a9.com or msn images...I don't see any street kicking there ;)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 691
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like one of Tony Soprano's enforcers from Grosse Pointe. Boat shoes and all!

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1496
Posted From: 69.220.233.17
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking at the police uniforms and the arm patches that those officers in particular. I don't think that's actually from Detroit.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 703
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at the actual website it's from it appears to me that it's probably Warren police kicking a striker from the newspaper strikes.

But that's just an educated guess.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 457
Posted From: 68.250.41.178
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that has been the first picture for that search for over a year at least

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 855
Posted From: 68.248.33.214
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks to me like the infamous "Jack the Kicker" of the Sterling Heights PD. He was, indeed, kicking a striker outside of the Detroit Newspapers plant.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for a google bomb?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3042
Posted From: 192.220.139.6
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Grosse Pointe boater. The guy on the ground is wearing socks.

Summer Grosse Pointe is either dress slip-ons with tassles, no socks OR Docksiders with no socks.

jjaba, with decades of research on this matter.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.