Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Best place to advertise for employees? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kraemerdesigngroup
Username: Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 63.242.134.66
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where does everyone think it is the best place to advertise for new employees? Long ago we did the News/Free Press, then local papers, then postings at colleges, lately Monster.

Where does everyone look these days? BK

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 164
Posted From: 68.79.80.163
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you hire a recruiter and let them do the dirty work

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 941
Posted From: 69.212.173.138
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

craigslist and colleges

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either Craigslist or Monster, for the positions that i have hired for over the last year. Newspapers get you nowhere and are very very overpriced.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krae, don't use monster. Honestly, the cream of the crop candidates are never on that site. We used it for one year and dropped it. I always sorted through a mess of resumes to find one or two gems, that in the end never panned out in the first place.

what sort of positions are you looking to fill?

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 64.118.136.130
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What skill sets are you looking for?

Lowell, How about the "Detroityes Classifieds"?

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2215
Posted From: 12.75.20.91
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on the job, http://www.michworks.org may be helpful.

It's run by the state, searching for candidates and posting job openings are both free. Anyone filing for unemployment benefits in Michigan is required to put their resume up on the site, but there's more there than just people drawing unemployment.

(Message edited by track75 on February 07, 2006)

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

michworks is a decent site, but again, these aren't cream of the crop employees on there, you have to dig through a lot of crap to find anyone useful.
It does depend on what positions you're looking to fill though.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 481
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

craigslist is huge with recent college grads

Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 63.242.134.66
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funkycarrie - we have found that the resumes recruiters pass along are the same ones we get with the fees.

We are looking for an architect with 5-6 years of experience.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 488
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm.... my cousin fits that requirement. Currently working in Ohio.

email me with details if u like nickq2o2o2 at yahoo dot com and i will pass along the information...

I know he has done work on schools, libraries...no individual residences

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krae, yeah thats the problem is you have to pay their fees.

My best advice, since you're not looking to use a recruiter, is to find out who your competitors are and call in and mine out people you want. Its what us recruiters get paid to do anyways

I've got certain software that I use, but I believe you can get a free version of hoovers.com which is an excellent place to find competitors.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 206.81.45.34
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KDG - I tried to send you an email via your website, but it failed to go through for some reason. I would like to talk to you about the position you're looking to fill. I am a 2000 graduate from UDM with my B.Arch, and I am currently finishing my Masters requirements. I am not yet licensed, but I have been working in the field since the age of 15, so I have quite a bit of real world experience. Your firm seems to do a lot of the kind of work I would love to be doing. Please send me an email at:

bob<dot>moreo<at>gmail<dot>com

I would be happy to send a resume if you are interested in what I have to offer.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 69.208.32.222
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krae, if you don't want to do the dirty work yourself, go to www.capmri.com
We don't search out candidates using job boards!

Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 70.225.216.119
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All - thanks for the feedback. We ended up ruunning adds on Monster, michworks, AIA (trade association), UofM and UofD. Trickles for all except 50 from monster, 10 of which were very good. BK

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1032
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id go with monster... and find someone who may fit the mold for what your looking for... even without a college degree. Depending on the position.. there are many non college educated people that are very good at several things without being formally trained. I have a friend who worked for a design firm working on Cad for 8 years before the company got screwed out of a contract and folded.. he doesnt have a college degree... but can blow out a part design start to finish on cad... and is pretty damn good with calc functions. I know for a fact that he could probably pick up any job you can throw at him within a few months...

I feel that many college grads are too indoctrinated into "book smarts" and that when the shit really hits the fan, critical thinking skills are nowhere to be found. Being givin a problem and finding a solution is an extrusion of common sense with guidance, and cant be fixed with an instuction manual..
If it was my building... and my design... Id rather have a person that would look at a sketch and go "damn that would really suk to have to walk that far.. to get to that shithole office with one window facing the parking garage everyday".. than someone that was trained how to use space efficiantly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.