Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » DEMF 2006.... & other event around Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cheyenne
Username: Cheyenne

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 213.78.142.202
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hullo Again...

Not graced this site for some time... I will be coming out the Michigan for this years DEMF (it's called Fuse in now methinks..) from Manchester, UK and will be staying for a week... I need to know if there are any interesting events as well as the festival that are scheduled for the wknd or at least the wk surrounding the event... I was hoping that there would be some traditional powwows on somewhere in Michigan also....

Any info appreciated

Claire

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 695
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't heard any rumors about this years festival. Anyone have the word?

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No word yet, Saunderson is using Fuse-in as the name of his Tour. visit the website fuse-indetroit.com Prolly get some details within 3 months or so. But most dont come out untill the month before.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5504
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuse is nice and all, but the BIG event going on that weekend is the forum picnic on Belle Isle.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 696
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the whole problem! One month before! How would anyone travel from Europe! Or even the continental US with one month notice.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1810
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most large festivals take a long time and cut it close to the date before the final details are known. What would be nice and what should be released already, are the official dates, times, and prices of the event. Everything else, including lineup, is left to chance. Has it even been announced that this years festival is a go?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 68.77.160.147
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they organized things right they would already have major headliners set in stone with contracts signed and announcements made.

This festival has the opportunity to be for electronic music what Bonnaroo and Coachella are for rock and alternative.

The organizers need to stop waiting until the last minute. They need to prove they can be taken seriously, and having the preliminary schedule up for the world to see months ahead of time would be a great start.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 697
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Chris on this. I wonder if it's too late for me to offer my services to get them on track. ATL you're right, it takes alot of time, but this even has been running for years now, it should be a fairly standard template.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1555
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This week in either the News or Freep that talked about events it was listed with dates but it was tentative.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060207/NEW S0101/602070331/1003/NEWS01

Here you go.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 69.208.32.222
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris....it's now referred to as "Bonnaboo"
Hopefully DEMF/movement/fuse etc. will not have the same fate!

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 68.77.160.147
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got to strike down your "Bonnaboo" comment, Carrie. Have you seen this year's lineup? WOW!

Radiohead
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Phil Lesh & Friends
Beck
Elvis Costello & the Imposters
Bonnie Raitt
Death Cab for Cutie
moe.
Bright Eyes
The Neville Brothers
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
Buddy Guy
Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley
Ben Folds
Robert Randolph & The Family Band
Dr. John
Matisyahu
G. Love & Special Sauce
Umphrey's McGee
My Morning Jacket
Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder
Steel Pulse
Mike Gordon & Ramble Dove
Cat Power
Medeski Martin & Wood
Nickel Creek
Gomez
Atmosphere
Steve Earle
Blues Traveler
Disco Biscuits
Amadou & Mariam
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks
The Dresden Dolls
Son Volt
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Jerry Douglas
Soulive
Rusted Root
Devendra Banhart Band
Donavon Frankenreiter
Mike Doughty
Sasha
Grace Potter & the Nocturnals
The Magic Numbers
Bill Frisell
Seu Jorge
Bettye LaVette
Dungen
Shooter Jennings
Rebirth Brass Band
Robinella
Andrew Bird
Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk
Steel Train
Jackie Greene
Devotchka
The Wood Brothers
dios (malos)
Toubab Krewe
The Motet
Marah
I-Nine
Balkan Beat Box
The Cat Empire

Back to the scheduling note, this is the Bonnaroo lineup for mid-June. Fuse-In is happening a month before this, and nobody has heard a thing about it.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris, its bonnaroo, bonnaBOO bonnaBUSTED.

I will never ever ever go back to that festival after last year.
I've gone to the past 3, only missed the first because I was in the Caribbean. That is my scene, and what became of that festival last year is a JOKE. I'd rather catch those same acts at a more crowd friendly, mellow fest like Wakarusa or 10k Lakes.
Last year was such a bad vibe, they even lost Warren Haynes this year. Its a damn shame. The line up last year was STELLAR, and it still didn't keep me from leaving 2 days early. I'm for happy times and good music, not busting people and totally ruining the festival vibe.
I stand by my bonnaBOO.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 698
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seu Jorge - Is that the guy that did the covers of Bowie for Life Aquatic?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1368
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Seu Jorge - Is that the guy that did the covers of Bowie for Life Aquatic?

I bet it would've been easier and quicker to google it than to post the question.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 699
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey there, Dabirch,

Or should I say - Daouche Biag.

If I wanted lip from you I would've asked for it!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1163
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheyenne: If you are interested in traditional Native American Pow-Wows, you should monitor this website for event listings: http://www.500nations.com/Mich igan_Events.asp. Use the homepage to look for events in nearby states and provinces as well: http://www.500nations.com/

Kova

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya in years past, demf has been run just bad relative to how things should be done
( im not down playing the hard work) One of the big things was the financial situation. But with Kevin at the healm things should be better planned. Rumor has it that this year will be free.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 68.79.80.163
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

back to free?
awesome!

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 69.242.221.186
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok so bonnaroo used to be great but now its run my mtv so that sucks

Cheyenne
Username: Cheyenne

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 213.78.142.202
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info ... I'm going to chance it and book my flight soon as the prices rocket if I have to leave it until a month before... the thing that gets me is that they don't seem to look 'outside the box' when it comes to things like that for all us who need to make the relevant arrangements!!

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of the problem is the City of Detroit not allowing it to even take place at Hart Plaza until late in the game each year. Luckily it works out in the end year after year. But you can bet that the team has been working on this year's festival since the day after last year's. Kevin Saunderson himself has been promoting Fuse-In by doing not very well-attended Sunday night monthlies in Ann Arbor.

I doubt there's anything tentative about the dates (always Memorial Day weekend) and it's a 3-day all weekend festival so the times aren't very tentative either (all day until midnight). It's whether it will be allowed to happen at all.

Kova

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tomoh, you been to any of those? I went to one, he played on house life stuff no techno!! bah! and you are correct on it having low attendance.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still trying to fifure out why he would his monthly in AA instead of somewhere downtown Detroit. Think it has to do whith which one is closer to his house.

We played the fest last year, and it was very disorganized behind the scenes. At least we were paid though. There was one news story after the fest that reported that it did not break even and there were going to be money problems.

I'm also with Chris in that if they EVER want to be taken seriously by sponsors and international attendees, they should have an artist list out now. Same BS every year..will it happen? Who will be there? No one knows..

Tomoh

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kova, I've gone at least twice (probably saw you considering how many others were there). Music was alright regardless of style, I just wish it had been promoted better and thus had people actually show up. I'm not sure why it's in Ann Arbor on Sundays but it could be because he's touring nationally/internationally doing big nights on Fridays/Saturdays. Carlos Souffront, who opens for him, does live in Ann Arbor, but I don't know if KMS lives near... I thought his studio was downtown.

I'm willing to cut the festival some slack while it continues to be essentially free or five bucks as it was last year. I do think it could be a better festival if it could bring in money one year (but I'm glad it's not strictly about making money). The city could help a lot by allowing it to happen and making that decision earlier.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 777
Posted From: 69.212.43.242
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got this in an email today:

quote:

Ladies and Gentleman;

I know many of you want to know whats going on with the festival for 2006. I cannot tell you for sure, but I have been told that the City of Detroit is in negotiation right now and are only considering companies that can pay for the festival expenses out right. Which I believe is a wise decision. This festival needs financial stability. Unfortunately with our greatest efforts, we could not achieve what was necessary to continue to produce the festival in 2006. Here are some of the facts why, questions and answers:

Q: How many people attended the festival this year?
A: We sold 41,000 tickets this year. That translates to 37,000 1 day tickets and 4,000 Multi day tickets.

Q: Are the numbers down from previous years?
A: Yes, but just slightly. Comparing beer revenues from 2004 to 2005 suggests we really only had approximately 50,000 people in 2004. This does represent a small decline.

Q: So was the festival successful? It sounds like you a lot less people than in the past.
A: Considering the planning window we had put this thing together, we think the festival was incredibly successful. In addition, our numbers this year, and the fact that Hart Plaza capacity is less than previously thought suggest that our earlier festivals did not have 1,000,000 people in attendance as previously reported.

Q: Did charging for the festival have a big impact?
A: We surveyed festival goers and they told us that they thought ticket prices were extremely reasonable. The smaller than expected ticket sales were caused partly by inaccurate counts from previous festivals and partly from our own overly optimistic goals for this years festival. Finally, the biggest factor in lower ticket totals was our inability promote ,because we were only approved for the permit 9 days before the event. This made advance ticket sales and fundraising nearly impossible, so we couldnt do follow through on our advance marketing program. The other sign that our issue was promotion was the fact that in previous years there were a much larger number of out of town guests. To be successful, this festival needs to be promoted starting in November.

Q: How will you pay the invoices of the vendors? Many say they havent been paid.
A: Yes, there are several vendors that MusicLogical still owes money. My intention was to bring a partner with some financial stability and resources in to partner up with MusicLogical and relieve the debts from the 2005 Fuse-In festival, but at this point we have not been able to achieve that.

Q: Are you saying you lost money?
A: Yes, because of lack of promotion time on the festival, the festival sold less tickets generated less revenue than we would have hoped. The costs were tight and we had a very good handle on the operational aspects of this event. This was not about our operation of the event it was about not having enough time to properly market the event and draw the crowds that still want to hear our music. I believe people would be surprised at how tightly this festival was run and how organized the entire effort really was. If we had 10,000 more foreign visitors, not only would we have broken even, but the city of Detroit would have received that economic spillover as well.

Q: Can the festival have financial success?
A: Yes, absolutely. If it is run as well as we ran it, and if it was started 6 months earlier (assuming the weather was positive) it would absolutely make money, and be able to generate cash that the City could use to help rebuild Hart Plaza for other festivals.

This is too great a festival to keep down. If the city would allow enough time to promote it by awarding the festival permit months in advance instead of days in advance, this festival could continue to bring music and dollars downtown for years to come. As an ambassador of our music (Techno) and our city (Detroit), I will continue to do whatever I can to spread the word throughout the world.

Yours Truly

Kevin Saunderson

sounds like it's up to the city council. doesn't look good tho :-(

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This event has bled out so many people's pockets, its sad that the city won't help out an event that brings people to town...it just doesn't make any sense.
Not that I'm suprised or anything...

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city doesn't have any money to give. I don't think that we should layoff cops so the city can supplement a techno festival.

Kova

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"we could not achieve what was necessary to continue to produce the festival in 2006"

wait so sounds like kevin is out of the loop then?

Sharmaal

Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I won't offer him my services.

Tomoh

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city just has to allow them to use Hart Plaza and make that decision more than 9 days before the festival.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 736
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060217/U PDATE/602170443

Nothing that we didn't already know.

Slows
Username: Slows

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 69.220.69.203
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20060218/NEWS01/ 602180371

Not dead yet.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.