Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Survey for small biz opening in Detroit - Gourmet Grocer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 946
Posted From: 69.212.173.138
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was forwarded to me this weekend....

This person wants to open a small gourmet grocery in Detroit, and she is hoping that people will take this market research survey.

Below is her message...

Hello! Iąm trying to open a little gourmet grocery store with gourmet take
out in downtown Detroit and I want to hear from you. Please take a few
minutes to click on the link below and participate in this marketing survey.
Who are you people and what do you want? What do you think of the city? Your
answers--the combined results of the survey--will provide the kind of
detailed market data that my investors are looking for. Your answers will
also have a direct impact on the kinds of products and services that will be
offered; your opinions are important. Arenąt you hungry for more in Detroit?

http://www.surveymonkey.com/ye siam

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6704
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Survey taken

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2470
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks good Blondy... I just took that survey seems interesting...

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1564
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting blondy, this is definitely a convenience missing from the CBD.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1565
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their website is interesting and they couldn’t have chosen a better location to start this business.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met the lady at the DSG meeting last Thursday. You should've heard the applause at the meeting when she said what she wanted to do!

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 873
Posted From: 204.39.225.104
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The concept reminds me of a grocery store I went into in Chicago. Fox & Obel was the name I think. i loved it when I was there.

yup here it is.
http://www.fox-obel.com/index. asp

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Survey taken. Great news. I really hope it comes to fruition.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's cool that more entrepreneurs are taking bold steps to establishing needed businesses for new residents. Took the survey also.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 67.37.213.65
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the concept as well. I however feel that unless you live or work right in the people mover/ downtown core this establishment will not serve the detroit population.

For a larger scale small marked like Trader Joes or a scaled down whole foods you need to have parking even if it is decked.

I say this because I dont see myself walking from WSU area to go to this place. So if I wont do it, people from Indian village, palmer woods will never drive try to find parking just to pick up something they could get without the hassle.

Jt1

Post Number: 6708
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not everyone is that lazy Troy. I love outside the PM loop and would definitely support this store.

Suburban menality-atcha.

Just kind of kidding about the lazy.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1506
Posted From: 70.227.84.119
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Survey taken (before this was even posted - because I'm that much on the ball).

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1373
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I say this because I dont see myself walking from WSU area to go to this place. So if I wont do it, people from Indian village, palmer woods will never drive try to find parking just to pick up something they could get without the hassle.

How hard is it to park on the street within 2-3 blocks of merchants row, in non-mon-fri business hours?

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 474
Posted From: 70.236.190.233
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This establishment sounds like they plan to offer that little something extra. Not all of us think it's a hassle to park, pop in a couple quarters, and run in - run out.

I know the general mentality of the region when it comes to parking - but please don't predict doom when we don't know the details. Who knows what logistics this business may have worked out to insure their success.

Besides, the folks that live in the areas Troy mentioned think a bit more openly or they wouldn't live there - for the most part I think.

Who knows, this downtown location now, Wayne state next. Let's be optimistic for goodness sake. Anything less than optimism (with everything Detroit has stacked against it) and you may as well slit your wrists.

No attack to any previous post, just delightful debate.

"same quote used above"

Just as much as one believes that they serve as the microcosm of one's neighborhood - so can another to the affirmative.

later - naturalsister

(Message edited by naturalsister on February 13, 2006)

(Message edited by naturalsister on February 13, 2006)

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1413
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Remember that there is parking coming out downtown's wazoo after 7pm on weeknights. If the place is open after 10, I'll be there. It would be the only place I could get groceries that late, without driving a long way.

And it is an easy bus ride down woodward from Wayne State, 24 hours a day.

Thrice
Username: Thrice

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty easy, there may not always be a space open right on woodward, but between Washington, Griswald and Broadway I can always find a spot with in a block or 2.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1374
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question was rhetorical...but thanks for answering.

Everyman
Username: Everyman

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 24.136.14.239
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good. Does anyone know the square footage of the "second from left" storefront she plans to occupy?

There's a Fox & Obel less than a block away from me and it's fairly large. I wonder if there'd be enough room to have a fairly complete offering in a smaller space.

Jt1

Post Number: 6717
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess it would start small and may expand based upon business.

A small biz like this probably can't start too ambitious in an unproven market.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 508
Posted From: 70.236.169.228
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Survey taken.

Great idea. It means something when a national chain (CVS) opens, and there is a market for entrepenuers!

Naturalsister

Post Number: 475
Posted From: 70.236.190.233
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah MCM2026,

One winning combination we need around here.

later - naturalsister

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 969
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Besides, the folks that live in the areas Troy mentioned think a bit more openly or they wouldn't live there - for the most part I think.

As someone who lives in one of those neighborhoods that sounds about right. It might not be my #1 source of groceries but it could easily be #2 or #3.

Parking downtown is not too bad outside of M-F business hours... I would expect such a place to be open at least until 9pm. Especially considering that CBD residents are likely to be their most loyal customers, and they may not be able to shop there during regular business hours.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1424
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this that so-called "viral marketing" I've been reading about lately?

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 575
Posted From: 24.176.58.18
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1.4 million in sales in the first year? $1.8 million in the fifth?

I hope this works out for the guy... but thats a lot of cheese and friut.

If he opens up for 12 hours a day, six days a week, he would have to rack up about $374 in sales an hour!

If the average customer buys $35 worth of grocery like they are estimating, then they need about 10 customers an hour.

Nonetheless, I wish them the best, and I will try to support them the best that I can.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 525
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 customers an hour will be no sweat. Stop by the new downtown CVS and check out how many people are in there. It doesn't matter if it's Sunday morning at 10am or Tuesday night at 7pm, there will be at least a dozen people in the store.

Downtown, by itself, has a population over 7000 people. That is plenty to support a small grocery store. Add in the tens of thousands of office workers during the week that will stop in during lunch or after work to pick up a few things, and there is plenty of customers to support this store.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW. I just took the survey and checked out the website. I have been dreaming about a place like this for nearly a decade. If/when this store opens up, I will be a regular and faithful customer, tell every single person I know about it, and I will also build a shrine to the owners in my loft. LOL!

This is exactly the kind of place that downtowners are starving for. I have no doubt that the sales figures being projected will be greatly exceeded.

Let me be the first forumer to say "YAY Vito and Smitty's!"

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1414
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump...

quote:

Is this that so-called "viral marketing" I've been reading about lately?

I'd bet that since Blondy started the thread, it is a case of small business owners sticking together.

Ypsirocks
Username: Ypsirocks

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 12.135.152.14
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I run a 6000 sq foot natural foods store in an urban area (alameda, outside of oakland). We've been at this for three years and average roughly 40-60 customers per hour. In the natural end, the bar has been set by whole foods and that level of service and environment is what people expect in this type of store (which is tough and expensive to provide as an independent).

We struggle with parking on a daily basis and have 6 meters in front, one adjacent lot and two satellite lots. People do not want to walk with their groceries and this is truly a walkable community. If there are kids along for the ride, multiply this by ten.

I wish this person the best of luck ...

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 200.65.7.224
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

took it, I-m positive this will work.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 478
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing about this place - it will have no comparable competition within about two square miles. They will do well because of the unique situation that exists in Detroit.

There is NOTHING like this in the Central Business District. Yay for them!!!

They have me locked in as a customer as well. I used to shop at Zabar's when I lived in Manhattan.

This is a dream come true.

Slowly, but Detroit is moving forward.

later - naturalsister

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1171
Posted From: 69.212.49.239
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Natural,

Forget the CBD. Except for Harbortown Market (which isn't even at the level of this store) there is nothing like it in the City of Detroit.

This store will do very well mainly because of its location. If there's one place in Detroit that this will work, this is definately the location. The residential construction around this area is unreal and there are already a ton of daytime workers within walking distance. It's a retailer's dream come true!

I think its success will be the lunch and dinner take-out offerings that sound like they will be a major part of the business. This will capture the office workers and hopefully get them to buy specialty food items to take home with them when they're buying their meal. If this place is operated as well as a Whole Foods or a Costco it will be a license to print money.

(Message edited by BVos on February 16, 2006)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown could use a place like this as all of these lofts/apts/condos etc are completed they all will need aplace to shop and there is no real competition.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1433
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'd bet that since Blondy started the thread, it is a case of small business owners sticking together.

That's hot, depending on the small business owners.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.