Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The City of Highland Park Welcomes its Newest Resident « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 70.229.41.55
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coca Cola

Governor Jennifer Granholm, Senator Debbie Stabenow and Wayne County
Executive Robert Ficano will speak at facility dedication February 13

DETROIT, Feb. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Michigan, a
division of Coca-Cola Enterprises, Inc., will hold a dedication ceremony for
its new Sales and Distribution Center in Highland Park on Monday, February 13.
Governor Jennifer Granholm, United States Senator Debbie Stabenow, Wayne
County Executive Robert Ficano, Highland Park Financial Manager Arthur
Blackwell and Highland Park Mayor Titus McClary will give remarks.
In addition, State Senator Martha Scott, State Representative Bill
McConico, Wayne County Commission Chair Jewel Ware and Highland Park City
Council President Dr. Ameenah E.P. Omar will present resolutions. Congressman
John Conyers and Wayne County Commissioner Moe Blackwell will also participate
in the ceremony. Several community and business leaders will join the elected
officials.
The new facility occupies 21 acres in Oakland Park industrial parkway.
The 175,766 square foot facility will bring 384 jobs to the city of Highland
Park. The facility will increase Coca-Cola's sales and distribution
efficiency in Southeast Michigan. "It is our hope that Coca-Cola's presence
will contribute positively to the social and economic fiber of the Highland
Park community," said Kathy Cole, sales center manager, Metro Detroit Sales &
Distribution Center.
In addition, Coca-Cola will invest up to $5 million in land and building
improvements and up to $500,000 in machinery, equipment, furniture and
fixtures.
A highlight of the ceremony is a check presentation of $10,000 to the Boys
& Girls Club of Highland Park. The donation will be utilized to help fund
their youth basketball league. Coca-Cola's personnel will also volunteer to
support the athletic and educational programs. "Coca-Cola is committed to
supporting the communities in which we serve," said Percy Wells, director of
public affairs and communications, Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Michigan.

What: Coca-Cola Bottling Company Sales & Distribution Center Dedication
Ceremony
When: Monday, February 13, 2006
Breakfast 8:30 a.m.
Dedication 9:30 a.m.
Ribbon cutting 10:15 a.m.
Facility tour 10:20 a.m.
Where: 12225 Oakland Park Boulevard
Highland Park, MI 48203
(313)-868-2008
Photo Opportunities:
Remarks by elected officials
Official ribbon cutting ceremony
Facility tour
(Governor Jennifer Granholm, US Senator Debbie Stabenow and Wayne
County Executive Robert Ficano will arrive at 9:30 a.m.)

Coca-Cola Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE: CCE), is the world's largest marketer,
distributor, and producer of bottled and canned liquid nonalcoholic
refreshment. Coca-Cola Enterprises sells approximately 74 percent of The
Coca-Cola Company's bottle and can volume in North America and is the sole
licensed bottler for products of The Coca-Cola Company in Belgium, Great
Britain, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Monaco, and continental France.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 70.236.190.233
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome.

HP needs that shot in the arm.

later - naturalsister

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2718
Posted From: 69.209.188.146
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be interesting to see a timeline so we could determine how much Mr. Blackwell had to do with this.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 67.149.62.53
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With HP's location off between Woodward and 1-75, with some tax breaks they should be able to attract lots of warehousing/cross-dock activity.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1011
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news for this financially and socially struggling city! I really do hope that the tides are turning for Michigan's economy as a whole. It has been such a turbulent last few years for the state's overall economy. I am also very interested in learning about the dynamics behind HP securing this economic boost.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 511
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very good news.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3176
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park could actually become the industrial powerhouse it used to be, if even not with the automobile. That little enclave has so much potential it hurts. I hope they continue to attract wharehousing and light industrial operations. Lord knows they need it. What Highland Park also needs to do is capture some of the immigrants that otherwise go to Hamtramck or other areas within Detroit. They have helped turn around what was once a huge population loss for Hamtramck, and add to the taxbase.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2062
Posted From: 68.40.173.250
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very impressive...I think I will buy a case of coke to thank them (good stuff for hang overs)!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1035
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Coke builds a bottleing plant there. Highland Park has its own Water Dept. It was built by Henry Ford in the 20's and is independent of the COD system. It has never been used at full capacity.
I understand its in rough shape, but a few mill would bring it up to snuff. Its the same H2O we all get, just from a different spot on the river.
http://hpfolks.com/articles_20 04/HPF_articles_2004/got_water _2004/

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 141.211.222.193
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coke said screw Ann Arbor and U of M and all of their worker rights BS and said lets move to Highland Park, that'll show em. How Ironic

my 2 cents.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 803
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip..I know that HP was supposed to do extensive repair on the departmenst reservoir and filters. I remember reading that the city was looking ahead for the future of the city(even though times were bad) as if they were expecting a high number of housing developments, new residential, and new enterprise within the city.

Truth be told, I am impressed with the initiative that is taking place to lure new business, retail and residents to the city.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 4.229.60.227
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally, Highland Park is gettin' some love and attention!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3180
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, when the city gets to the point of full self-sufficency, they can put some wheels on the Model T Plaza, and move it right up to Woodward leaving all the parking out back. :-)

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 517
Posted From: 24.193.39.60
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for Highland Park!! That's awesome news.

However, I'm a little apprehensive about getting too excited about this, until a few more details of the deal have been made public.

The only reason I'm questioning this is because of a non-HP related article that I read today in the NY Daily News, regarding a new football stadium for both the Giants and Jets in East Rutherford, NJ (a NYC suburb, about 10 miles west of Manhattan). East Rutherford has been very excited about this since news of the deal was announced. However, one little detail just leaked out that has everyone fuming: THEY WON'T BE PAYING ANY PROPERTY TAXES. Even the mayor was kept in the dark about this "little detail", and he's fuming. Now everyone's not so excited about it anymore.

After reading about this, then about Coca Cola's deal in HP...it got me thinkin':
What kind of a sweetheart deal is Coca Cola getting here? Waiting for the details...

I'm not trying to rain on the parade though, because ANY development that creates new jobs in HP is great for the city. The fact that such a high-profile company such as Coca Cola is investing in HP will hopefully raise eyebrows among other manufacturers looking for new locations, as well. Let's hope this snowballs.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 148.61.248.170
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But even if coke doesn't pay taxes, if the area where they are going didn't have a whole lot going on, and there is spinoff business that does pay taxes, is it bad?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3693
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a first time since the Chrsyler Corporation left Highland Park to the Auburn Hills. Now a new Cola Cola Plant will work wonders for the folks in Highland Park. I can wait to see what's on those Coca Cola cans "MADE IN HIGHLAND PARK".

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 287
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this happens, I may just have to start drinking Coke again.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 201
Posted From: 24.247.221.241
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know offhand if they will be getting any rail service into the plant? The Grand Trunk Holly Subdivision runs right behind there and I know it would not hurt to have another local industry along that line receiving inbound or shipping outbound cars.

--supporting Detroit and rail industry!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3182
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash, it is almost certainly going on a brownfield, and will almost certainly some type of tax exemptions, or tax credits/freezes for a certain length of time. This is one way Michigan is able to pull in many of these companies, but we've found that in desparate times, this works far better than companies choosing other states.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 444
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news for Highland Park and they need the boost!! Good for Coke for being willing to locate there.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2295
Posted From: 69.221.93.220
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham Steve, you mean how much Mr. Blackwell has his fingers in the cookie jar? How about some credit to the former Emergency Manager Pearson?

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2721
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro, I'm wondering how much Ms. Pearson deserved to be up there, and whether she should have been up there along with or instead of Mr. Blackwell.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2297
Posted From: 69.221.93.220
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Ham Steve the results and records of the two speak for themselves. Then again, if you have to ask the question...

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2722
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to ask the question, because politicians are involved.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3084
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Props to Highland Park. It is centrally located and ideal for distribution in the whole SE Michigan region. Lowell can tell you that driving a Sears truck outta HP is ideal for making a full day of successful deliveries. Props to Coke for routing trucks on the Davison Ditch, an old standby.

jjaba will personally deliver a prize to the first HP Coke can posted and contents actually consumed by a person on the Forum. jjaba wants to know how that quality of HP water.

jjaba.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 682
Posted From: 65.54.97.186
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arent they just taking jobs from Detroit and Madison Heights to create this facility? So...not a real win...just some good news from HP.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3186
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park might as well just be a Detroit neighborhood, and same goes for Hamtramck. These places are enclaves, and autonomous in governance only. What is good for Detroit will be good for Highland Park and Hamtramck, and vice-versa. I'll take it as a win, if only because of central consolidation. It's certainly not a loss for the Greater city of Detroit, but you can keep trying to rain on the parade. :-)

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 24.193.39.60
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What is good for Detroit will be good for Highland Park and Hamtramck, and vice-versa. I'll take it as a win..."

Agreed, as in the very least, it's good for the morale of the entire area, including the parts of Detroit and Hamtramck that border Highland Park. The jobs created will be available to residents of all these communities (unless there's something we don't know yet). On that tip, any word if HP residents will get first-dibs with job applications?

In HP, "coke" taketh away, then "Coke" giveth.
Sorry, couldn't resist the irony...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953 hit the nail on the head with his (assuming he's a he) question. What will happen to its **other three** local facilities? Besides, the change-over started over a month ago. There easily could be fewer employees afterwards than before. Does anybody know for sure how many employees existed before? Was it greater than the current 384, and will the current figure raise or fall?

Coke - Crain's
"Coca-Cola consolidated three local sales and distribution centers in Madison Heights, Detroit and Van Buren Township into the Highland Park location, said Percy Wells, director of public affairs and communications for Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of Michigan."

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2053
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Coke's Detroit sales and distribution center now located? Is it that one that was built a few years back with tax breaks or was that some other pop brand, I fergit ....

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3707
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic,

The Coke sales and distribution center is at W. Warren Rd. near Livernois still packing and still kicking. " MADE IN DETROIT"

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 202
Posted From: 24.247.221.241
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Detroit's Bottling Plant is on West Warren right next to the old C&O West Detroit Branch. They get train cars of corn syrup and other ingredients daily.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2055
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the bottling plant, aren't the sales and dist offices something else? Wasn't a different coke sales/dist office opened up in Detroit a few years back that took advantage of tax breaks? I recall it was some pop company, I'm just not sure if it was Coca-Cola.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1510
Posted From: 68.255.167.104
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wasn't a different coke sales/dist office opened up in Detroit a few years back that took advantage of tax breaks?

Pepsi opened near Eastern Market a few years back (late 80-mid 90s IIRC). Is that the one you're thinking of?

Innercity_detroit
Username: Innercity_detroit

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 4.165.105.126
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coke Cola isn't the savior of Highland Park.However Coke Cola is just like any other business operation once up and running in Highland Park.Most people that was named in the first post above do not live in the HP,but there is a few who is brainwashed into beliving that Coke Cola will bring that city back from the dead,and Coke have already made it clear that they will bring 300 of their employees in before hiring Highland Parkers.The City of Highland Park is hard up and will go for any deal that looks or sound good. GOD BLESS HIGHLAND PARK cause someone needs to help these brainwashed people.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.