Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » 17 Arrested in Windsor-Detroit immigrant smuggling ring. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3090
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dateline, Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

A smuggling ring that sometimes forced migrants to hang on the sides of freight trains or to be stuffed in car trunks to get across the Canadian-USA border was broken Tuesday with the arrests of 17 people, US and Canadian authorities said.

US authorities said they intercepted 74 illegal immigrants, mostly from Asian and Eastern European countries, who were being smuggled into the USA from Canada.

Altogether 23 people have been charged following a two-year investigation by the RCMP, the USA Homeland Security Dept., and the Canada Border Services Agency. The people charged include residents of Detroit area, Albion and Vicksburg, Michigan, Windsor and Toronto, and Rockford, Illinois.

In a related story, jjaba has discovered that they were heading for Brokeback Mountain. The Wyoming Governor says he has plenty of room out there and "they'll fit right in."

jjaba, World News.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 208
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I saw something about this on the news here in Kalamazoo last night. I was surprised that I didn't see anything in the papers before (not that I was exactly looking for it or anything.) In fact, the next time that I saw it is when Jjaba's World News broke it here.

When did this story break in Detroit?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But wasn't that film shot in Canada?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that story yesterday (during the day).

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 198
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News broke on Wednesday. Google "Windsor Detroit smuggling" in the "News" function. Or see below:

http://www.canada.com/national post/news/story.html?id=69e534 07-8a20-44f5-9c55-122de9a8bdf0 &k=82848

Jjaba

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tis right Cowboy Livernoisyard, Brokeback Mountain was shot in Alberta. (Made to look like Wyoming.)

jjaba broke the story right here and now.
He's in tight with the Horsemen over at RCMP,eh.

Where do the thugs live in "Detroit area?"

jjaba, Transborder News Dept.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6765
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I noticed that Sport is MIA. I think we know the identity of one of the smugglers.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Supersport one of the skippers of the fast boats running the Detroit River, Purple Gang style? Oy, hope he didn't go Eastside on an RCMP.

jjaba, World News.

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 12.2.192.223
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up in the cheap seats were I live in Marine City, there’s plenty of illegal immigrants getting busted.

One Indian family was dropped off by the “coyotes” at a pay-phone, which the father used to call a taxi for Chicago. The quick-witted hack alerted the cops.

Usually the sight of a family of Chinese walking around late at night carrying luggage is bound to raise suspicion.

Heck, up here, I still get odd looks for driving a car with four matching hubcaps & a Draft Beer-Not Students bumper sticker.

Sailor Rick, sitting next to his De Lux Selecta-Scope Teletype anxiously awaiting jjaba’s latest World News dispatch.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba sees on the map that Marine City, Michigan has an international ferry boat across the international St. Clair River. Welcome to America, hailing a taxi from a phone booth to Chicago.

After working for 10 yrs. at a Madras, India phone centre, no wonder the guy is calling for a cab from that phone booth. That's one thing he knows is how to use a phone.

jjaba is reminded of Italian immigrant Pasquale who called his brother Angelo from Ellis Island. He wanted a ride to his new Michigan home.
Living in Michigan UP near Escanaba, Angelo told Pasquale "I live Upper US, Upper US".

jjaba, All the News That's Fit to Print.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a place on Harsens Island (hence the name) and they find groups of Chinese people walking along the road with suitcases every once in a while too. Late last summer a speedboat was out on the river with no lights on. He would go upriver and the border patrol would go down river. They went back a forth a few times, always in opposite directions. The border patrol guy said they were testing the waters to see who was watching them. I don't know why they run with their lights off, when they do that they stick out like a sore thumb. There is no way they can stop the smuggling though, the border is just to open. A few years ago they had a helicopter flighing up and down the river all night long, at least we don't have to hear that anymore.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.