Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Downtown Detroit shooting » Downtown Detroit shooting - 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

My2cents
Username: My2cents

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 24.253.67.62
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ARRGH! This really sucks.

Ray1936,
I am out here too, near RR BLM. The LV media seems to be focused on the guy who shot and killed the cop the other day........

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 69.246.17.152
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm not mistaken there were no rappers/entertainers having a party at Red Squared,the party with the rapper/entainers was over at Captains Bar and Grill and nothing happened except a good time so whoever wanted to blame it on rap needs to stop jumping to conclusions...

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 276
Posted From: 69.242.220.249
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060204/NEW S11/302040001

There is a picture up.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9874
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just came from downtown, had to stop home to tend to my dog. I can say that the shooting seems to have had little impact on the crowds coming down. It's more packed than it has been, RenCen had about 10x the people it had yesterday, even though much of the stuff like the radio stations were done yesterday. It is a complete and utter madhouse downtown with foot traffic spreading to every corner of downtown. Now that the rain has changed over to snow, its a lot more desirable than when were first got down there and it was raining.

I haven't talked to a single person who has changed their mind and not coming down. On the contrary, I have a growing number of friends coming down. While I'm still pissed about this, hate that it happened, it's not the first time and it likely won't be the last time there is a shooting outside a club. So I'm gonna brush it under the rug, say its a shame it happened, but in no way am I'm gonna let it ruin my weekend.

Anyways, over 1,000 died on some ferry that sank and 73 got trampled to death in the Philipines. In all honesty, Detroit's shooting should pale in comparison and should NOT trump these tragedies. Hope to see you all down there.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 435
Posted From: 70.236.169.84
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When SS reported this early this morning, I was really horrified. Couldnt fall asleep.

I had just returned from Downtown with 7 friends from the suburbs who wouldnt have gone otherwise. It ranked as one of the best nights of my life.

I feel horrible about this, ruined my night.

However, I think its key Detroit doesnt let this ruin it. So, this could be another rallying point for the city. Come together the rest of the weekend and have a real good time.

I think that since it was (a) at a club (b) 2 in the morning (c) isolated (d) not right next to ford field, and directly in the crowd of the winterblast, the media will not be too hard.

It will probably be chalked up as the one murder per day avg complaint. nothing more. Local media will be sympathetic i think, especially since they are all sponsors of the event. I also dont think too many of the 100,000+ visitors will even hear about it.

Either way, this is too bad. I feel for all families involved.

That said, I wont let one guy, one incident, ruin the greatest week in the city of detroit in many years.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 436
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Downtown Detroit is among the heaviest policed and safest areas of the city, and the district plays host to numerous festivals and concerts throughout the year"

-end of the Freep article. Seems like even they understand how important this is, and are continuing to encourage ppl downtown. That article was very fair, unlike many of the crime articles written by the Freep.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 269
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm usually not for censoring a crime, but the city needs a good, old-fashioned cover-up right now.

Say what? LMich channeled Dick Nixon back there in the wee hours before turning in for some shut-eye . . .

. . . and restored sense, I trust.

Me, I'm with the bunch who take a balanced, regretful, cautiously hopeful stance . . .

. . . as we exhale, figuratively cross our fingers and literally shake our heads.

(Message edited by RealityCheck on February 04, 2006)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1012
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some historical perspective:
http://www.ganglandnews.com/co lumn329.htm
Fappiano is also charged with ordering two mob associates to administer a “public beating” of a Laborers Union official in a dispute over no-show jobs that got out of hand and ended in the official’s death on Jan. 26, 1997, Super Bowl Sunday.

http://www.rcfp.org/news/2001/ 0123ravens.html
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRA NSCRIPTS/0101/27/cst.06.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg /04030/267431.stm

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 438
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit will be okay.

This will not ruin the fun for the visitors (tourists and suburbanites)

250,000+ downtown last night, I am sure only a few did not thoroughly enjoy themselves

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 69.216.97.105
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is our first national pop...on the AOL Sports webpage...you qwould thinkthat someone would just make a judgement call and do something like bury it on page 2...... I hope this is alll it gets...
http://sports.aol.com/?ncid=AO LSPR00110000000005

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1399
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying really hard not to let this ruin my take on this whole weekend, but I just feel sick about it. And the worst part is that the national media isn't the problem with this - the fallout from this will all be local. All those people who live in the suburbs and refuse to come down, all those people whose minds could be changed by this week, are all gonna say, "See?"

How many times can Detroit break your heart?

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 68.79.80.163
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you on this Dial...it breaks my heart.

but I'm glad to hear that so far its not interfering with the activities downtown, and its not stopping me from walking over there either, but it still sucks.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no mention of the murder-shooting in the Washington or Baltimore papers. The only articles to date are about the parties helping the homeless which both papers spoke highly of detroit. I will say that I have heard about a possible snow storm there about 500 times today on the local tv and radio stations.

Panson
Username: Panson

Post Number: 782
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story was on msnbc.com's front page a couple of hours ago. It's now been replaced with a story about the approaching snow.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The coming snow is the headline on Drudge. Hah. Maybe no one will notice the shooting?

*sigh*

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 847
Posted From: 69.215.244.19
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

ok, so is there such a thing as a "FAKE Detroiter"?

Yes, it's called The Aram.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 259
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"All those people who live in the suburbs and refuse to come down,"

As a suburbanite you people making comments like this are driving me F'ing nuts. You should have seen how crowded the Detroit Zoo was at 10 O'Clock this morning with people waiting to take the shuttle downtown. And it was nothing compared to how crowed it was this afternoon at 3 O'Clock when we got back. There was a line of people over a quater of a mile long waiting to get on the bus and cars still lined up to get into the zoo parking lot. I was absolutely stunned at the amount of people especially considering how bad the weather was and how much worse it was going to get.

The "overwelming" number of people that were downtown today were white people and this is a assumption on my part, but I'm guessing that this is a pretty good indication that there is in fact a large number of people from the suburbs who are coming downtown since Detroit's black population is over 85%.

The problem is that we as suburbanites become an easy scapegoat for Detroit's problems for many of you people on this board, who I'm guessing reside in the City. Some of you might want to start looking in your own backyard before you start blaming those who live further out.

Marcnbyr
Username: Marcnbyr

Post Number: 622
Posted From: 68.43.13.13
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the timing of it all is preventing it from blowing up. It was too late to be picked up in any of the papers, and too early to really be considered today's event. Tomorrow will be the real test...but I imagine that all the papers will be so hyped up because its game day (and after a whole news cycle) that they will forget it then as well.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 848
Posted From: 69.215.244.19
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The problem is that we as suburbanites become an easy scapegoat for Detroit's problems for many of you people on this board, who I'm guessing reside in the City. Some of you might want to start looking in your own backyard before you start blaming those who live further out.

Actually, the problem is that all too often those who live further out, as you put it, turn their backs on the City of Detroit and don't support it.

However, I am thrilled to see the crowds in the CBD this weekend and I hope those who haven't chosen to support the City on a regular basis will begin to do so. Welcome home.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 572
Posted From: 24.176.58.18
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You think that if this is a black on white crime (black man shoots white couple) sorta thing that this situation will just get worse and worse.

So far I have not heard much form the national or local media. But to be honest, i went to bed last night so pissed. So pissed that this happend, started thinking, how do I play this off, how can i live in this expensive loft of woodward if shit like this happens.

Just pissed, so pissed. This is woodward ave. its our pride, our jewel. a murder would not happen on chicagos magnificaent mile? or would it.

Just pissed at the situation, and even more pissed that this poor girl (my age) died tragically, and all we care about is our image.

Well I can tell you this, that girls parents, friends, family, and such will not be coming downtown and enjoying the super bowl this year, maybe not ever.

too many cops and too much at stake for something like this to not only happen, but for the guy to get away with it.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Rjk, simmer down. I didn't say that all suburbanites refuse to come down. I said the problem was all the suburbanites WHO refuse to come down. It's a subset. Relax.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will take more than one dead person to scare people away from the Super Bowl. It is the biggest sporting event of the year and it may never come to Detroit for another 20 or 30 years. This is literally a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, people will not be deterred because of one incident. It's not like the fireworks shooting where a bunch of bystanders got shot in the midst of the festivities and the shooter slipped away, in this case the victims knew the shooter and the police arrested him quickly.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 846
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awfully early to make judgments about those involved Mike - could've been black on white, could've all been suburbanites, could've been out-of-towners doing the shooting, could've been the deceased wasn't all that innocent. Are you assuming that because the shot guy was white that the girl was also white? Are you further assuming that because one or both of them where white that neither of them were city residents?

take a deep breath and *think* - we all know shit like this happens, and not just in Detroit.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

could've been the deceased wasn't all that innocent

Also not that innocent:

Oops we did it again

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 218
Posted From: 68.248.54.60
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's National

http://www.usatoday.com/news/n ation/2006-02-04-detroit-shoot ing_x.htm

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats the same AP article being picked up--

Legsdiamond
Username: Legsdiamond

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 216.222.168.183
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry this happened, but I gotta tell you--I love Detroit. This could have gone down anywhere. I love your city (I'm in Wisconsin)...and it'll get better. Please don't get down on your wonderful city. I've been looking forward to the positive media attention and it will happen. Too bad that idiots do things like this, but it happens everywhere.

Lilpup

Post Number: 847
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's been national all day - the AP moved the story before 8:00 a.m.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 766
Posted From: 68.248.14.6
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's totally about thug culture. "That's the way we roll here..."

Since when is even a personal beef reason enough to shoot someone four times? It's all about respect/disrespect/you argued with me/I don't like you blah blah blah.

We all have personal beefs, is that how we settle them? That's how you settle things in Dodge City, and this "I'm bad, I have a gun" culture is celebrated by the very rappers who are giving parties around town all night.

Where are the jazz guys, the R&B guys? Where are people celebrating life?

I agree with you Carrie ...sometimes I think I'm too happy for this place. The old emphasis in music used to be on love and good times. Now it's thug this, gangsta that.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 843
Posted From: 204.39.225.111
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say I was completely amazed br the police response. There were a ton of cop cars there seconds after it happened. I ran into a cop with his hand on his gun while I was fleeing the area. Definately takes a special person to run to the area everyone is running away from.

Gumby

Post Number: 844
Posted From: 204.39.225.111
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Lilpup it was a black on white. I am not saying that it even means something but i am just clearing that up.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 589
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what the hell drove this guy to shoot a woman. I just can't understand that. :|

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 625
Posted From: 69.209.137.231
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peggy Agar covering the story on Channel 7 right now. Says it looks like a couple was walking and bumped into the shooter. Woman who was killed was from Tecumseh, MI. Looking for three suspects.

Follow-up story on how safe the city really is, and that "if you're from out of town, it's important to know that shootings downtown are extremely rare." Now a follow-up live at Winter Blast, fun fun fun, lots of happy people.

Now party coverage -- postive and fun vibe still going, despite the sad opening story.

F.Y.I., forumers.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3150
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so sad. Senseless violence, and the death of someone from small-town America in the big city. This almost sounds like the worst-case scenario.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 585
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is a random thing, bad news.
This past week has been great for Detroit. Most out of town reporters have been writing glowing stories and there have been good reports on Detroit hosting a fun Super Bowl.
It will be interesting to see if this short term shot in the arm for Detroit continues after all the Super Bowl fans leave.
That budget deficit still looms. Anyone consider drafting Roger Penske for mayor next time?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 629
Posted From: 68.41.160.200
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's sad is we live in a region that somehow tolerates this. We need to have a simple social contract: Obey the law or be warehoused for the rest of your life in a cage.

Tonym
Username: Tonym

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 68.54.43.10
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when does bumping into someone justify homicide? Just say excuse me and move on. I wonder if there was a verbal exchange and whether alcohol was a factor?

This animalistic behavior is unacceptable regardles, but I have to think that something other than bumping into each other must have occured.

I wonder if the perpetrators are from Detroit.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it was more than just a bump on the street....I really do...I hope words were exchanged or something, if not, thats a tad frightening.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 657
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my condolences to the families involved.

ray, in detroit, roughly 50 percent of murders result in an arrest. i don't even know what percentage of those arrests result in a case going to trial, a guilty verdict, or life imprisonment.

Lilpup

Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone consider drafting Roger Penske for mayor next time?"

Nice thought but it would never happen - too much bureaucratic bs in politics around here
The non-governmentals don't have to deal with it as much that's why they can be more effective with projects like the Super Bowl, Winter Blast, Riverfront, Campus Martius, etc.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 69.209.162.124
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Distressing news to read about first thing in the morning. I feel very sad for the victims of this this crime - and sadder still that my first thought was how Detroit would be perceived by the media based on this act of violence.

I've been surpised and relieved that it hasn't been blown out of proportion by the media - violence happens in all large cites (and many small ones).

My prayers are for the family and friends of the victims.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this senseless murder in the city's most up and coming neighborhood during the region's time under the microscope of the nation will spur someone to start an all out blitz against crime in the city.

There is no use trying to sugarcoat it anymore or say "but look crime happens in the suburbs too". Detroit is far too violent of a city. 50% of the murders in the city being solved is unacceptable. Annual homicide counts close to 400 people is unacceptable. The DPD is obviously ineffective and inept. We should glean ideas from law enforcement across the world and Michigan state government is going to have to bite the bullet and pour significant resources into the city to fight crime. One thing that Chicago did to reduce crime is heavy public surveillance (video cameras) coupled with gunshot recognition technology. Detroit is too much of an out of control, free for all, I can get away with it atmosphere.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, in DPD's defense, they really are overloaded. DPD homicide detectives often work multiple homicide investigations at once because of the sheer volume. Think about how many manhours go into one murder investigation, they often take WEEKS just for one case. Now multiply those manhours by the number of homicides and shooting incidents, and then divide by the number of actual homicide detectives. Your answer will show you that the DPD faces an insurmountable task. Add to the mix that in most cases, witnesses will not come forward or help the police out of fear of reprisal.

But killing someone because they bumped into you and didn't say "sorry?" Sometimes I wish Michigan had the death penalty.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 69.221.92.46
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People--especially provincial ones who don't get out much and think they know about the world 'cause they got a plasma HDTV for Christmas--get on my f***ing NERVES.

Have you all ever heard of a little event called MARDI GRAS? People get shot down there ALL THE TIME... the last time I went was in 2004, there was a shooting on the parade route 2 blocks away from where I was on St. Charles Avenue. Did any of you hear about it on your national news? If so, would you have cared, or thought "damn, I wash my hands of NOLA?"

I was in Paris Bastille weekend 2001--talk about dangerous. There are muggings and rapes there every year... a gang of toughs trailed me and my homegirl for several blocks near the Eiffel Tower, and I do not know what would happened if an eagle-eyed cabbie hadn't picked us up and taken us back to our hotel in Montmartre (or somewhere thereabouts--it was def. in the 'hood). We saw Paris burn this fall, and people acted surprised... why? Because the news media doesn't show you that side of it!

Is what happened last night sad and tragic? Yes it is. When I woke up this morning, my grandmother told me about the shooting. I was like, that's too bad, but I didn't think much about it. The news media (unlike this forum) didn't dwell on it, either. So I went back to Winter Blast today, and had a great time, and the crowds did not seem to be thinned today even with the colder weather. In fact, instead of a 10 minute wait for Detroit Breakfast House, there was a 90 minute one.

And then I get home to boring-a** Tree Town, flip on Logo to catch *Noah's Arc* (eye candy -- don't care if they are gay, they are fine), and read this stupid thread with all these generalizations.

Here's a bright idea. Why not hold the INDIVIDUALS who did the crime responsible for it? And stop condemning all Detroiters/black people/the hip-hop generation/Generation X gentrifiers for sh** that 95% of us don't do and are NOT responsible for?

I'm through. Not with Detroit, but with certain fairweather civic boosters. Because you're exactly what the folks in the 'hood say you are.

(Message edited by English on February 04, 2006)

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 69.245.75.239
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever dude. Until you get the fact that this is cultural, and change the culture, this sh*t will never stop. Ever.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 24.158.164.229
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know if there were any arrests related to this?

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 1119
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been flipping thru XM stations all day listening to national news. All lead with Superbowl stories, and not one peep all day about this shooting. So far, so good. Hope emphasis on the good continues, it is a great day for Detroit to shine.

Pffft

Post Number: 768
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The prevailing culture in Detroit says that this is OK, English. And you are agreeing. You're saying it happens in New Orleans, it happens in Paris, it's acceptable.

To many of us, it's not acceptable. So we have a different standard?

Do you want to live in the city where this kind of shooting, for a "bump," is acceptable, or do you want to live in the city where it's not?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3154
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 men are being detained in connection with the shooting. Let's just hope they have the right person this time:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/6733136/detail.html

Tonym
Username: Tonym

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 68.54.43.10
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check the time of the report. This was posted above. WDIV was the only media outlet at that time of the day to state this and I hope it's true - but I wonder why no one else reported it.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 69.242.220.249
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most f'ed up thing about this culture we live in is the people who justify it by saying it happens in other cities.

Detroit is like an embarrasing family member. Right when you forget the last crazy thing that happened and actually think things are going for the best, it turns around and put you right back in your place. This whole story makes some want to puke. I was on Michigan Ave. at the time, and my girlfriend was standing 75 yds away and heard the shots. This kind of behavior is unacceptable. It seems like no matter how hard we work to improve the city, some ass comes through and ruins it. So damn discouraging.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 441
Posted From: 24.231.188.86
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting how there is so much talk of this shooting. Werent there over 1200 shootings last year??? and 360+ murders???

But this is the one we are going to dwell on? al of a sudden, "this behavior is unacceptable"..

A little late for that my friends. Better get to work. We have a lot of people to change. Many of us are doing in every day, keep it up

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, there was another murder not far away of some homeless guy that hasn't been getting much coverage.

I cannot link to it for some reason or another, but confer the Freep for:
Breaking news - Man found stabbed to death downtown

To hell with copyright - credit Feb. 4 Free Press:

"An unidentified man believed by police to be homeless was found stabbed to death behind St. Aloysius Church in downtown Detroit early this morning.

Police responded to reports of a man, thought to be in his 40s, with multiple stab wounds in the head and torso around 12:45 a.m. behind the church in the 1200 block of Washington, near State.

Officials with the Joint Information Center, a multi-agency communication center set up for Super Bowl week, said that the victim was staying at a homeless shelter inside the church. Police are investigating this morning.

The stabbing marks at least the second suspected homicide downtown within 24 hours.

At 1:30 a.m. Saturday, a 24-year-old woman, Kyle Smith, was shot and killed outside of a nightclub on Woodward, near Congress, just south of the Motown Winter Blast Festival. A 27-year-old man was shot in the leg and wounded during the same incident.

Police are searching for suspects in both cases.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detroit Police at 313-596-2260 any time.

Contact Amber Hunt at alhunt@freepress.com or 313-222-2708. Contact Ben Schmitt at bcschmitt@freepress.com or 313-223-4296."

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1433
Posted From: 68.255.237.155
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The facts are that two people who were together outside of a nightclub were shot. One of the two people, a 24 year old woman, raised in Tecumseh but living in Detroit, was killed.

The rumors are that the couple who was shot bumped into the shooter and words were exchanged, and that the police have one or two people in custody.

The conclusion to all this is that we don't have enough information to know what exactly happened and why. All anyone can really do here is express their feelings about the shooting, which I will now do.

First off, I feel bad about this young woman losing her life as a result of gun violence. Secondly, I am angry that this shooting had to take place during the weekend of the Super Bowl. Not that any other time is ok, just that nothing like this should have happened in downtown this weekend.

Thirdly, I appreciate the news media not spending a whole lot of time on this story, but I do hope they do more investigating as to what really happened, and not bury it under all of their hyping of Super Bowl events.

Fourthly and finally, I want to leave people with this thought: if the shooter was standing in line to go into a club, then why would he have a gun, knowing that the club's security would pat him down before letting him into the club?

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 69.245.75.239
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Interesting how there is so much talk of this shooting. Werent there over 1200 shootings last year??? and 360+ murders???"

No sh*t. That's we have been called the Beirut of North America. Its not like those murders went unnoticed, or have you heard any of the commentary coming into this week.

I don't want to make too big a deal out of it. But like i said, you can get an ideal of how cold-blooded these people are in everyday circumstances based on what they will do in the midst of a big event with everyone watching.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 386
Posted From: 69.209.187.90
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I share the same sentiments with Dialh and Carrie, as well as many of you here, in regards to this incident. It just gives those skeptics the chance to say, "Told you so."

I also want to re-iterate what Royce said above in regards to gun possession in a club. What purpose does a handgun serve in a dance club ? To pick up hot chicks ? To order drinks ? Obviously, the shooter ISN'T there to do what the rest of us are there to do - have fun and dance the night away.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetNews report today has photo of victim Kyle Smith and poignant comments from her mom . . . but 0 about any arrest or suspect.

Chief Bully-Cummings puts the shooting in proper perspective:

quote:

"We refuse to let one individual who engaged in a cowardly act dampen the spirit of our people."

The manager of Mavericks, by contrast, seems to care only about his club and takes an unfair poke at the police.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060205/METRO /602050343/1003

(Message edited by RealityCheck on February 05, 2006)

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2044
Posted From: 68.40.173.250
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She could have been one of us. Someone who loves the city and just wanted to live here to be part of a cool urban environment. It just makes me sick and sad.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 591
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a piece of trash. Buries 5 rounds into 2 innocent people over bumping into one another. The shooter most likely had every intention to kill. Carrying a loaded firearm around a city celebration, what an ass...

English

Post Number: 487
Posted From: 69.221.64.24
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romanized--I am NOT a dude.

*ignores you from this point on*

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 702
Posted From: 70.233.7.222
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

She could have been one of us. Someone who loves the city and just wanted to live here to be part of a cool urban environment. It just makes me sick and sad.

That's exactly how I feel ILD. I'm not going to say that it will keep me from hanging out at bars in Detroit (because that's just unrealistic) but it does kinda hit a little too close to home.

There but the grace of God go I...

(Message edited by susanarosa on February 05, 2006)

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 463
Posted From: 70.236.176.171
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, it just makes you think. Anyone could be at the place where she was and bumped the idiot.

Last night, I bumped and was bumped by so many people and no big deal. We were intoxicated to utter bliss!!

Shame that there are people out there who are so mad at the world that they feel the need to use violent aggression as a regular form of expression.

later - naturalsister

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 387
Posted From: 69.209.187.90
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit, Susanarosa and Naturalsister are all taking the same words out of my mouth. Ms. Kyle Smith, the victim, may well be a DetroitYes forumer.

We have such a camaraderie among young people who live in Detroit, who make our best effort to contribute lip-service by touting the positives of Detroit, by showing others that Detroit has a lot to cherish/offer, by volunteering our time to organizations such as Detroit Synergy, Greening of Detroit, Preservation Wayne and etc.

And as Supersport had mentioned, it sure takes a lot of wind out of you. Anyone of us, bar-hoppers, who are downtown enjoying ourselves with our loved ones this weeekend, could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2045
Posted From: 68.40.173.250
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all only makes me more resolved to keep doing more for the city to make it better. There will always be killings and shootings (at least for the near future) - it is a reality of our society - but I sure as hell won't stop or change anything I do. I feel bad for her family and I admire her for her spunk and her dedication to the city.

English

Post Number: 489
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Darwinism, you or the others of the "FSC" could have been in a terrible car accident this weekend. That would have been just as tragic.

Yes, this is senseless violence, and it should not have happened, but what I don't understand is why people here are so shocked about this. A heated argument, someone pulls a gun... it's a common enough story in our city, one that I have lost friends and relatives to. A thug the other 51 weekends of the year is not going to be any less of a thug just because "The World Is Watching".

Pffft

Post Number: 771
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A "terrible car accident" is often nobody's fault, truly an accident.

A person carrying a loaded gun and shooting someone ON PURPOSE -- how on earth can you liken those two events?

That's the kind of attitude that's allowed violence to become a part of everyday life in Detroit. "Stuff happens." Whatever. That's life in the big city.

Society, which is us, has to make it clear that shooting innocent people in a downtown crowd is not expected, not just an accident, not "just another day in Detroit," but totally unacceptable.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1406
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, people were worked up on here when there were shots fired into X/S last year, and no one was killed. But this isn't a big deal?

The reason this is a big deal, and I'm certain a lot of people around here will make a point of noting this when they talk about SBXL down the road, is that YES murders happen in every city, and YES Detroit has a crime problem ... but as everyone on this forum loves to point out, the Central Business District is supposed to be one of the safest areas of the city.

It's one thing to tell someone to go check out some east side neighborhoods and look at the blight. Sure, they might not feel safe or want to go. But if you're going to get senselessly murdered in the middle of the biggest street fair the CBD has ever had, well, then why bother going into the city at all?

This may be "a common enough story" in our city, but I think the reason some of us are so surprised is that we thought the city was doing a little better than that.

And frankly, I think anyone who cannot see why this is a problem - or who refuses to acknowledge that this is a big deal - is a part of the problem themselves.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1407
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A thug the other 51 weekends of the year is not going to be any less of a thug just because "The World Is Watching".

And yes, English, you are actually totally right. The fault for our disappointment really lies with us for thinking it could ever be any different.

So think about that, anyone trying to make something happen in the city.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5527
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So think about that, anyone trying to make something happen in the city.

Yeah, come on down...let's outnumber the bad ones.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 443
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats right Gannon. One moron is NOT going to ruin all the momentum downtown Detroit has going for it now..

All this means, is that I, and anyone else that cares about Detroit, will have to work that much harder to change. Im willing. Lets go

Hurts even worse that she had just recently moved from the burbs to the City.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what hurts is I was just like her 3 years ago when I moved down here...its not right that someone gets shot 4 times for bumping into someone in the street. Thats a harsh murder regardless of the timing...

English

Post Number: 493
Posted From: 71.144.85.75
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever lost a loved one to gun violence? Most of you HAVEN'T. I have. But of course, none of you fairweather boosters gave a f**k about the city when it was young black kids in the 'hood dying. So save your f**king crocodile tears for someone who gives a sh*t.

Contrary to popular belief from some on this thread ("it's attitudes like YOURS that perpetuate violence!"), I didn't pull the trigger. But it's me and my "culture" that did, I guess... not that you would have any idea what my "culture" is, and if you think you know just because you know my race and my gender, that says a lot more about you than it does about me. I also guess all native-born Detroiters who don't sh*t their pants when they hear gunfire are animals. Baby, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt... try being sixteen and seeing your girl's 20 year old brother's head blown off. The only people who can tell me something about violence are not American--people like my students from Palestine, Iraq, etc.--and they damn sure aren't on this forum!

What about thanking GOD that it wasn't my time? I was down there this weekend too. What about pledging when I was a kid GROWING UP in a tough Detroit neighborhood that I had a responsibility to do something about it? Teaching? Volunteering? But I suppose none of this matters, because since I didn't participate in or indulge your pity party, I condone and applaud violence. STFU!

When I was discouraged and down a year and a half ago, feeling EXACTLY as many of you are but for a much better reason (student @ CT had just been killed and I had been laid off for the third time in less than a year), a couple of you assholes said, "Well, maybe Detroit isn't for you." This was after years of trying to deal with the armchair civic boosters on this site, virtually begging folks to come and volunteer in the Detroit Public Schools instead of b*tching about them, pleading and begging.

When I decide to get the credential so that I could come back to DPS as an administrator and help clean up this mess, I get slammed by some annoying-as-hell Wolverine because I hate Ann Arbor. Well, I'm not the first person and certainly not the last to snark about a college town. Tallahassee ain't nothing to write home about, either. And the thing about Ann Arbor is this: Michigan is NOT Harvard, but to walk around this place, people flatter themselves into thinking that they're something they're not.

I don't believe in pretending that a situation is something that it's not anymore. When I first joined this forum, I was four years younger and had never dealt outside of the black community much. I do a lot more observing here than running off at the mouth, hence my post count. I read some of the threads and laugh, and I only respond to folks' responses to me if and when I feel like it.

And here's my assessment: it is what it is. You are NEVER going to make Detroit into Royal Oak or Ann Arbor, and thank GOD for that. Detroit is Detroit, and while it can be a better Detroit, if you want Abercrombie and Fitch, move back to A&F country, and spare us the caterwauling.

I have spoken with friends from NYC, DC, and England this weekend who said via phone and email how great the city looked. They know my passion for a city that many have given up on, and several have said they will visit again this year. Yet on a forum that is supposed to be saying "Yes" to Detroit, people are moaning and tearing their hair about because of some thugs... as if thugs weren't shooting at each other every OTHER weekend!

You didn't like the car accident analogy, although it was the truth, and it takes the lives of more folks out of your demographic than out of mine. So let's try this: I was partying down there last weekend. Say I had been shot and killed. I doubt VERY seriously if it would have generated a thread of 150+ posts or any media coverage.

So. Maybe Detroit isn't for you.

And I'm glad I got so many of you mad. I'm only saying to your faces what a lot of people are saying behind your backs.

Respond if you like. Game's getting ready to start, and I think I'll wash my hands of this forum until you calm your asses down.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 68.41.153.99
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did anyone hear about this?

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ne ws/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/000 1%2F20060205%2F1231354527.htm& sc=2020&photoid=20060204SB131& ewp=ewp_news_0206homeless_stab bed

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That stabbing was previously mentioned above in this thread.

Gumby

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 204.39.225.136
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

Why the fuck do you gotta make it a black-white thing? I don't care who got shot and who did the shooting, it is rediculous and we need to find a way to stop this kind of shit from happening. I didn't see anyone say that it is your (black) culture that is responsible for this, I see thug culture come up. I have seen plenty of white people who fit into the thug culture. I don't think anyone here thinks that when it was young black kids in the 'hood dying that it is ok. So fuck that.

Spare me your "you white people don't give a fuck about us" attitude because that is complete bullshit.

I have lost a lot of respect for you English and wash my hands of you and anyone who thinks this way. It is devisive and for the most part untrue.

quote:

I also guess all native-born Detroiters who don't sh*t their pants when they hear gunfire are animals. Baby, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt... try being sixteen and seeing your girl's 20 year old brother's head blown off. The only people who can tell me something about violence are not American--people like my students from Palestine, Iraq, etc.--and they damn sure aren't on this forum!

No it is attitudes like this that perpetuate violence. The "its not a big deal cause it happens all the time, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt". I am deeply saddened anytime someone dies senselessly and am sorry that you get to pick and choose.

Beleive me I am thankful it wasn't me or my friends who were right there when it happened.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1004
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to point out a tid-bit in the article in which the father spoke on the TEMPER of his daughter. I am not saying that the perp. was in the right here. Clearly it is wrong to murder someone. However, I was always taught that a "drunk body speaks a sober mind" and that if you cannot handle your "liquor then keep your mouth shut." This shooting clearly appears to be a clash of egos in which BOTH SIDES were clearly out of control. I am sure that BOTH SIDES escalated this argument because (A) one party was hiding their fear behind a bullet and booze and (B) the other party was hiding their fear behind poor impulses and booze. It is unfortunate. However, in my days of club-hopping and bar-hopping, I was told by my mother that a bullet has no name on it and it is best to avoid even the slightest conflict at all costs. The fact that this young lady did not know when to keep her mouth shut cost her big time in the end. We don't know the extent of the exchange (i. e. whether she used racial slurs; whether she let the booze override any rational thought to just "STFU"; whether she was insulting in other ways, etc.)...all of the facts are not in. As hard as this is for me to say, a big mouth coupled with a bad ass temper does not make you a Billy Badass--it makes you a prime target for senseless acts of violence (esp. in a city like Detroit in which there is a violent subculture). I feel for her and her family. However, somewhere along the way, the parents as well as the victim, was responsible for addressing this so-called "bad temper" that ultimately cost her something that can never, ever be replaced. When I read that statement by her father, it seems as though this father had warned his daughter about her bad temper. No she should not be dead. However, youth, ignorance, and poor impulse control seems to be a deadly brew. May her soul rest in peace.

Odessa
Username: Odessa

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.21.34.165
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This shooting is a typical young thug black mentality, plain and simple. Until we as a whole quit making idols out of Snoop, P-Diddy or any other hip hop idiots, this shit will continue.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6664
Posted From: 66.19.20.41
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gumby - I do not see English making it black or white. It seems you are reading 'Native Detroiters' as black. Not necessarily the case.

The simple fact of the matter, adn I believe what Ebglish is trying to say is that people are making some wild ass assumptions on certain cultuers/communities when they don't know.

Seems a lot of people think Snoop represents the black community but don't believe that the loving families, church leaders, kids busting their asses at school, fathers working 2-3 jobs, people participating in block clubs are not given credit as typical of black communities or Detroit communities regardless of color.

Too many assumptions about cultures and people based upon popular media. So does Madonna being a tramp and and Marilyn Manson represent typical suburban or white culture sound a little annoying to you.

Rappers/thugs are not black community. The great families, great people are but beyond the Cosby show they seem to be left aside by popular belief.

I got to side with English on this 150%.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6665
Posted From: 66.19.20.41
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odessa - Way to sterotype an entire generation of black kids. I guess we should just assume the young black scholars, the young black kids working in the community , supportin thier church, taking care of family/friends don't count since they aren't like Snoop.

Maybe they are 'too white' in your view.

Enough with the steretyping of black kids as thug wannabees.

Pretty fucking sickening.

Sad incident, my heart goes out to the family of the victim but enough with the 'black community is Snoop' and 'young black males are all thugs' bullshit.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dig what you guys are saying about not stereotyping anyone, but the people going to these establishements downtown are by a majority the thug element. The black scholars and others are not downtown getting drunk, starting fights and shooting people. I know folks from both sides of the fence and there is segregation (yes, with black people) of the types of places they would go to.

You have to be careful, black or white, when you put yourself in these situations. Anyone who goes downtown on a regular basis sees the potential of a harmless bump escalating because of intoxication and stupidity.

Just a few months ago, I was downtown at a bar and thought I recognized someone and said "Hey, what's up!". Yes, it was dark and I was drunk. It wasn't who I thought it was. Next thing I know, I'm surrounded by three guys that obviously wanted a confrontation, asking why I was talking to their boy. Fron their posturing, I knew one or more were packing something and were willing to use it. These guys happened to be Mexican (not relevant), and I talked them down by switching to Spanish and telling to chill. It caught them off guard, and they slowly walked away giving me the eye.

The point is that you never know what can happen, but you have to keep some your wits about you. One stupid comment by me at that point could have escalated the situation. I'm not saying this incident should have happened by any means, but you have to comport yourself to the realities of your environment, this being walking by a bar frequented by the thug element. Period.

When I lived in NYC, you couldn't help but bump into people several times a day, and personal space was different. Here, you get within 3-5 feet from someone and they are already looking at you funny.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the game here in Nashville, and Detroit looked great. I kept commenting on how good it looked and everyone just kept saying "lets see how many were shot after the game tomorrow". It sucks that it did happen. But everyone here really was expecting it. People are so scared of Detroit its unreal. Was hoping Superbowl would turn the tide but guess not. :-( Everytime I mention Im from Detroit someone has a horror story to tell my other half.
But to close: I thought the city looked great!!. '
All in all Motown A+ - one idiot!!

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 67.37.213.65
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately I heard it was a black white thing. The story the first thing the next morning from a person that claimed to be there witness the arguement and claims that it quickly reached the point of the girl tossing the "n" word around towards the shooter.

This in no way justifies a shooting and I hope this person gets caught and does hard time.

Gwhobbies
Username: Gwhobbies

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 66.208.225.165
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus, you people are way over reacting. Last I looked out the window, the sky is still up above my head.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1165
Posted From: 84.162.110.45
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English...You are more rational than that rant makes you out to be. Just because I am white, and did not grow up in Detroit, I was not sheilded from gun violence. Friends killed friends. Heads blown off. You and your friends are not alone in the world. Most people have been affected by bullshit. The fact that a life was lost is terrible in any way. A lot of people were hoping Detroit could get through this weekend with out any violence.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 827
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very sad. The fact that it apparently took relatively little provocation for the shooter to feel "justified" in his actions makes it all the more scary, even more so given the fact that there are many more people with the same disregard for their fellow humans.

Gumby

Posted From: 141.216.1.4
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

quote:

none of you fairweather boosters gave a f**k about the city when it was young black kids in the 'hood dying. So save your f**king crocodile tears for someone who gives a sh*t.

Sure sounds like making it a black white thing to me. I don't know how you can construe it any other way.

quote:

Yet on a forum that is supposed to be saying "Yes" to Detroit, people are moaning and tearing their hair about because of some thugs... as if thugs weren't shooting at each other every OTHER weekend!

I am sorry but if she is saying that we shouldn't care about shootings because they happen all the time then I say "fuck that". I will not suscribe to the mindset that this is just part of life. That is complete bullshit and is the kind of mindset which breeds violence. Any culture that thinks gun violence is no big deal is fucked up plain and simple.

And I am sorry if saying that pisses some people off but I don't give a shit. Because if you think gun violence is no big deal then I don't want to know you.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9877
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

You need to take a few steps back and look at the big picture. As you yourself have stated that you went away to college, down south, to get away from this area. You even went so far as to say that you had no plans of moving back until a few years into college, when upon you yourself rediscovered your love for the city.

I assume that your want to get away and your initial lack of desire to return was because of the very problems us "newbies" get concerned about. You have said in the past that you went through a phase in your life that you were VERY racially biased, even so much so that you hated white people with a passion. You have said that you grew beyond this phase and became a better person because of it.

I don't mean to single you out, as there is the other side of the coin being talked about up in here as well. Blaiming blacks, the hip hop community, and whatever else. So I have to wonder, what of the shooting up at the bar up in the suburbs a week or two ago where a confrontation also led to a shooting death. Oh, yeah, that guy was middle eastern or something, so they must all be terrorist....right?

Don't fall victim to all the bullshit that gets pulled out of the woodwork on here and go to the extreme opposite. We ALL hate to see shooting deaths, the fact that this happened the way it did and it saw more public concern is simple. You had the largest police procense downtown has ever seen, and yet somebody gets shot and killed and manages to escape. I think THAT is why so many more people are concerned about this death as opposed to the ones in the neighborhoods. Downtown was suppose to basically be in lock down for this game, they were suppose to have learned from mistakes during the fireworks.

Just as you showed concern that you could have been at the fireworks shooting a few years ago, I was just a stones throw from this one. 10 minutes later I was standing near the scene, as it was the direction we had been heading, but for one reason or another we stopped in front of Compuware for a bit.

Cafe,

We all were hoping to get through this weekend without any violence, yet at the same time I feel many of us knew in the back of our minds that it wouldn't happen.

Pffft

Post Number: 772
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,
You must have supernatural powers to try to guess our residency and ethnicities, and that none of us have been affected by gun violence.

Most gun violence today affects young blacks, so if we didn't care and shrugged it off, that would be racist.

It's a strange diatribe when you say that nobody who's white or lives outside the city is allowed to comment on gun violence; in the next breath condemn presumed suburbanites for being against gun violence, and in the next breath, ask for sympathy for the many losses you've suffered because of gun violence.

It's a very simple premise. We all love what Detroit was this weekend, 99% of the time. But Detroit needs to raise its expectations. Saying "it happens everywhere" about thugs with guns is not going to fly anymore.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 149.149.7.217
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might seem a little cold a heartless, but has anyone seen this story making front page headlines on any of the papers across the country?

Gwhobbies
Username: Gwhobbies

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 66.208.225.165
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tndetroiter: No. I haven't. Everyone is just riled up over the whole thing. IMHO, making a much bigger deal out of it than it should be. Some asshole shot someone. Sad for the person who got shot, and hope the idiot that did it gets caught and what he/she deserves. Beyond that, everything else is just someone wanting to talk and play connect the dots.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5276
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had this e-mail today when I got into work:

quote:

Subject: Kyle Smith - November 23, 1981 to February 4, 2006

Regretfully, today we announce the unfortunate passing of a young dispatcher in the Expedite Alliance family. Kyle Rae Smith worked in the dispatch office at Rodriguez Expedite in Taylor, Michigan. On Friday evening (February 4), she and her co-workers were coming out of a pre-superbowl party in Detroit and she was fatally shot and killed. We want to express our sincere condolences to Kyle's family, friends and her co-workers at Rodriguez Expedite.

Below is an announcement sent to us on behalf of her co-workers at Rodriquez Expedite.

Kyle Smith

Gone, But Certainly Not Forgotten

Taken from us suddenly in a tragic, senseless cowardly act of violence, while enjoying the city she loved.

The following arrangements have been made:

The Purse Funeral Home

2959 N. Adrian Highway

Adrian, MI 49221

1-800-613-4854

Visitation Tuesday, February 7th between 4 and 8 PM

Wednesday, February 8 between 2 - 4 PM, and 6 – 8 PM

Services Thursday, February 9th at 1 PM

Flowers and condolences can be made in care of Kyle’s Mother, Vicky Cupp, in care of the Purse Funeral Home.

Online condolences can be made to the family at www.pursefuneralhome.com

May she rest in peace.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't see anything in the major Canadian papers. The Windsor Star had a short story buried in the back of the paper.

At least up in Canada, Monday's newspaper coverage was all about the game and almost nothing about Detroit (either good or bad). Most of the Detroit stories were published earlier this week.

Ironically, most Canadians receive Detroit ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX affiliates, and therefore would be most likely to learn of the shooting vis-à-vis the Detroit press.

Personally, I first heard of the shooting on the forum this morning. Then again, I was in Vancouver since Thursday and away from my computer.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 252
Posted From: 141.217.84.86
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anyone to be shot Downtown (in what is supposed to be the safest place in the city) in a crowded public place in front of lots of witnesses at a time when 10,000 Law enforcement and security personnel were working Downtown for the Super Bowl, well that's going to be a big deal. Race has nothing to do with it. Most of the uproar on this board was before anyone even knew the race of the victims.

And the fact that the murder took place literally over nothing does not help matters. I don't like the idea that simply bumping into someone can now get you killed. Now that the Super Bowl is over, Detroit is going to need those suburbanites who ventured down for the Super Bowl who otherwise would not have come to Detroit to walk away with a positive image of the city and keep coming back. For a suburbanite to be shot and a suburban transplant to Detroit get killed, well, that's not good PR for the bars and restaurants and clubs of the CBD. Yes it seems like an isolated incident and not at all indicitave of the safety of Downtown, but this is the type of incident that can tarnish Detroit's image in the minds of many people outside of the city.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 68.40.107.39
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's just so :-( that we can't communicate verbally anymore. wtf?

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are 'unwritten rules' to follow in the City__Learn them--follow them--and you might lessen your chances of gett'n yo' grill 'blew out'!

super d(motordetroit)

Paddy
Username: Paddy

Post Number: 305
Posted From: 71.227.27.18
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great place to live.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 24.231.188.86
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Paddy, it certainly can be.

If u hate the place so much, dont come here.

I didnt see you on any other thread that celebrated what a GREAT week this city had.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3467
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell 'em again, Super D!! white boys just askeered, that's all (and negro-wannabes-white too). Wanna try and TALK their way outta an ass-whupping - ROFLMBAO - shouldn't have fukked up in the 1st place by running yo mouf!! btw: the behavior was learned from Eurocentrists .... Go figure!! YEEEEEEE - HAWWWWWWW !!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!

Hell, a white boy blew/bombed the schitt outta folks in Atlanta at a big event some years back!!! Much more damage there!! Ain't stopped schitt!! as the BEAT goes on .... not the moment!!

Damn, these MoFo's are worse than a Soap Opera "gotta-see-my-stories" Ho up-in-here .....

Black-atcha ..... and glad that Entertainment Bowl schitt has been flushed!!

(Message edited by Rasputin on February 07, 2006)

Islandman

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Rasputin,

It would be nice if people settled things with fists nowadays if necessary. But it seems the gun is the weapon of choice in the hood. So, talking your way out of getting shot makes sense, but maybe not in your deluded mind.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3468
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ass Whupping" can be a SHOOTIN'/CUTTIN'/BASHIN'/etc., where I'm from .... what planet do you live on and what language do you speak???

Black-atcha ......

Gumby

Post Number: 852
Posted From: 141.216.1.4
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Ras,

running the mouth off justifies getting shot. Riiight.

Yeah violence is always the answer as long as Kobe gets the pussy.

(Message edited by gumby on February 07, 2006)

Islandman

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Planet Earth. English and Spanish.

An ass whipping you can usually walk away from, as it involves hand to hand or other objects (think The Warriors).

Getting shot 4 times in the chest unless you're wearing Kevlar (or you're 50 Cent) you will not walk away from and does not constitute and ass whipping on any planet. I think you can safely say Tupac did not get an "ass whupping".

Latino-atcha... :-)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 877
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooh, Rasputin's such a tough guy.

I'm quakin'...

not.

Give your posturing a rest, old man.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3681
Posted From: 141.217.174.238
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything can happen the ghettos of Detroit. Especially during big events. As the po'folks feed off the scraps from the Super Bowl XL

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4683
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motorcitymayor2026 wrote:

quote:

If u hate the place so much, dont come here.

What, don't come to Brighton?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.