Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Building’s owner optimistic now that neighbors are torn down « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 913
Posted From: 216.78.40.155
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/c gi-bin/article.pl?articleId=28 833
Building’s owner optimistic now that neighbors are torn down
By Robert Ankeny
• February 20, 2006

Demolition of the former Statler Hilton Hotel has left a huge vacant lot bordering Grand Circus Park the city of Detroit hopes to market for redevelopment.

But in the midst of the block stands a forlorn, five-story building — now the only structure standing on the first block of Bagley Avenue south of the park.
The five-story office building at 139 Bagley Ave. has become an object of curiosity for those who get an up-close look when riding the People Mover.

The building, says owner Anthony Pieroni, president of Bagley Acquisitions Corp., is poised for a comeback.

The 90-year-old building once was headquarters for Dearborn-based AAA Michigan. AAA ended its 99-year lease earlier this month, said Nancy Cain, public-relations manager. AAA leased the building in 1916, the year it was built, and the year that AAA was formed. But it has been mostly empty for the past decade, she said, and used only for storage for many years before that.

The structure is a “great little building,” Pieroni said. “It’s got a two-story atrium lobby.” But it took a beating while the 18-story vacant hotel loomed over it, and during the Statler demolition, he said.

“With the Statler looking like it was falling down, no one wanted to sublet,” Pieroni said. And trespassers who dropped in from the unguarded hotel vandalized the interior.

The city of Detroit never actually made Pieroni an offer to buy the building, said Detroit Economic Growth Corp. President George Jackson Jr. “We would have liked to clear the entire block, but we understood Tony was not interested in selling,” Jackson said.

The DEGC plans to market the Statler site to developers, and Pieroni, whose company also owns the Michigan Building on Bagley near Grand River Avenue, said he’s ready to get 139 Bagley back in shape. “I’ve been here 25 years and things are finally starting to happen downtown,” he said.

But renovation and redevelopment plans await resolution of a damages lawsuit Pieroni filed last August in Wayne Circuit Court against Homrich Wrecking Inc., the city of Detroit and AAA.

That lawsuit, scheduled for trial in October, alleges that steel beams from the hotel were allowed to crash into the east parapet wall of the building and a fire in there on May 5, 2005, was caused by Homrich’s negligence.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3199
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pieroni must have been salivating over the demolition of the Statler, realizing that more like than not, his property would be damaged. The money that he is likely to win will be quite the chunk of money to make improvements to a building he probably wouldn't have ever tried to renovate; a classic slumlord sitting on gold, unlike so many other's in the area that believe the same thing, but aren't.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1516
Posted From: 64.148.229.174
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

“With the Statler looking like it was falling down, no one wanted to sublet,” Pieroni said. And trespassers who dropped in from the unguarded hotel vandalized the interior.

I've heard Pieroni argue this a couple of times. I keep wondering if he has any proof of it.

One of the things that came out of Statler appeal, a little over a year ago, was a list of DPD runs in that area. (The County Prosecutor filed it as part of an amicus curie brief).

Anyway, that list didn't include any reference to the AAA building. I can't help but wonder if Mr. Pieroni is pulling that one out of his ass.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1458
Posted From: 70.236.187.104
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That land really can't be developed properly without tearing down Pieroni's piece of shit of a building. He knows that and is just waiting to cash in on the damage lawsuit and a later offer to sell. He never will renovate the building. He's just blowing smoke up everybody's ass.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 977
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Royce. The notion that this building is somehow more ripe for development now that it's surrounded by empty lots, is laughable. If the Statler had been rehabbed (which may or may not have been doable, I won't go there), then yes, this building might make sense to redevelop. Now, as a lone building in the middle of the block, it hampers the development potential of the entire block. Tear that schitt down.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 497
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But renovation and redevelopment plans await resolution of a damages lawsuit Pieroni filed last August in Wayne Circuit Court against Homrich Wrecking Inc., the city of Detroit and AAA.

That lawsuit, scheduled for trial in October"

Skipper's rules. Nothing will happen with that building.

He's had this building for 25 years and is now interested in renovating? Bull Schitt! I hate it when old buildings are torn down, but the city needs to declare the same type of emergency it did for the Madison Lennox and then tear that schitt down asap! I hope the city is fining the hell out him while he sits on his hands and thinking of every way possible to sieze that land. I hope he's way behind on his taxes for that property.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1812
Posted From: 4.229.81.129
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that calling Pieroni a Slumlord is not being fair to him. He has maintained the Michigan Building for a quarter century, thru all the lean years. And yes, it is not exactly in mint condition, but he has taken pains to maintain it, while AAA jumped ship for Dearborn in the early 1970's. His has been virtually the only open business on that stretch of Bagley for decades.

As far as leasing the small building goes, since AAA had the 90 year lease, it was up to AAA to sublet the building, not Mr. Pieroni. And I'm sure that they tried to sublease it, but couldn't find anyone interested. With both the empty Statler and ruined United Artists Buildings as neighbors, it should come as no surprise. As far Mr. Pieroni was concerned, he had a paying tenant until now.

We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 435
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering why that building was still up. Methinks whoever takes over the land will buy him out.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3581
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That land really can't be developed properly without tearing down Pieroni's piece of shit of a building. He knows that and is just waiting to cash in on the damage lawsuit and a later offer to sell. He never will renovate the building. He's just blowing smoke up everybody's ass.

Most astute thing you have posted yet Royce. AAA still has the lease BTW.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1519
Posted From: 70.236.147.73
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now, as a lone building in the middle of the block, it hampers the development potential of the entire block. Tear that schitt down.

Yeppers, even I would have to advocate for removing the building in this case.

Gistok

Post Number: 1814
Posted From: 4.229.81.49
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!! Something we're all in agreement on...... :-)

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1520
Posted From: 70.236.147.73
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was bound to happen sooner or later. BTW - I'll test the limits of our agreement - I argue that the building should be deconstructed as opposed to demolished, in order to minimize how much of it goes into a landfill.

http://www.aswdetroit.org/deco nstruction.htm

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5539
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whereas I would prefer that a 100 story crane be set up next to the buiding, then allow people to drop things on it for a fee.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1420
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the Sta-puft Marshmallow Man when you really need him to destroy part of a city...

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3203
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homrich might as well have just "accidentially" brought this down, too, knowing this guy was going to claim damages, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the fire was "suspicious" in nature.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9898
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a second, did Skulker and Royce just agree upon something? Somebody please explain.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1523
Posted From: 69.212.42.159
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Whereas I would prefer that a 100 story crane be set up next to the buiding, then allow people to drop things on it for a fee.

LMAO!!!

Jeff, if they actually made 100 story cranes, I'd be there with a camera to record stuff dropping.

Too dang funny!!!

Tony_pieroni
Username: Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 64.53.238.2
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Boileau: Thanks for letting me respond to some of the fairly malicious things some folks are saying about me on this thread. Folks who don't know me, at that.

First, I don't like being called a slumlord. Who would? Especially when it's not true. Real estate is not my primary business, but I take pride in the real estate deals in which I've been involved.

For example, When I acquired the Michigan Building 16 years ago it was losing money and was quite distressed. Since my company has owned it, it has never lost money; in fact, it's made quite a lot. And, I've reinvested a substantial amount of the profits in the building. In the last 5 years I've invested about a million dollars of my own money in improvements: new, state-of-the-art elevators, new roof, new state-of-the-art CCTV security system, new computer operated steam heat controls, over $100,000 last year in upgrading the steam heat system in preparation for converting to on-site steamm generation/heating system, new lighting in the stairwells and parking garage, $60,000 in the new restaurant, and the list goes on. That's why the Michigan Building has one of the highest occupany rates in town even though surrounded by derelict, shells of buildings, such as the United Artists, and until recently, the S-H.

In 1985, three friends and I bought the historic Parker-Webb building at 400 Grand River. I put the deal together. We spent a ton of money restoring the building for development as upscale loft apartments. Ahead of our time. That didn't out out financially for me, but one of my partners took over the deal and spent about $2,000,000 making the building one of the crown jewels of downtown Detroit. The main tenant there now is Kraemer Design Group. I'm proud of my involvement.

I've have done quite a bit besides investing in the City to make it a better place. For example, I spent a lot of time and money a couple of years ago fighting the attempts by the establishment and the big money guys like GM and Compuware to creat a BID downtown. That would have done nothing other than take money from the little guys like me and improve the financial district area. I spent far more fighting what would have been a downtown disaster than it would have cost me in extra BID taxes.

I have also spent a ton of money fighting DTE's give-away of its central steam system to the outfit from Ohio which now runs it. I rallied many others to join the fight against the trippling of steam heat rates and won a significant reduction in the rates from the MPSC Administrative Law judge only to have her decision overruled by the Commission as a whole, per Granholm's instructions, in a misguided attempt to "save" the current opoerator from bankruptcy. Steam heat rates will result in the closing of scores of downtown buildings. Because of the relatively warm winter, it probably won't happen until next heating season. How many on this forum are even aware of that time bomb waiting to go off? Nobody cares. But I spent far more on legal fees in the losing effort than the amount of my steam heat cost increases.

Those are my real estate deals and contributions to Detroit. I've never used a dime of City money, tax credits, other peoples money etc, borrowed money in any of my deals. How much time, effort and MONEY have those people calling me a slumlord actually done to make Detroit a better place?

Now, the fire damaged 139 Bagley building. I bought an interest in the building in 1995 and the rest of it early this year. I bought it as an investment with a view to making a deal with the tenant to terminate its lease so I could redevelop the building -- after the S-H was torn down; its presence prevented any development whatsoever, a concept Skulker, Fnemecek and others, despite their wealth of real estate acumen, and high dollar investment history, just can't seem to understand.

Anyway, the tenant paid the rent promptly, and paid all the taxes and operating expenses. The tenant was a good tenant and spent a ton of money securing the building and keeping it heated despit failing to occupy it. Attempt to sublet it to someone who could use it were fruitless, for the sole reason it was located where it was, next to the S-H. Some of you who have no experience whatsoever will try to refute that, I'm sure. Go tilt at windmills. And, despite the tenants efforts to secure the building, vandals got into the S-H in 1999 and 2000, dropped down on the roof of my building and stripped out tons of copper etc and in the process did about $300,000 of damage. The S-H was as open as a sieve. Street level doors were wide open half the time and it was frequently occupied by the homeless. And the City did not give a damn. (It was demolished by the City's neglect long before it was torn down.) The damage was usually discovered well after it occured because the building was unoccupied. You want to go in and see the damage created by the vandals Fnemecek?

When the DEGC announced the S-H was to be demolished I contacted the DEGC and expressed my concerns about potential damage to my building. I was assured that the State, which would pay for the demolition, would contractually obligate the demo contractor to take extraordinary steps to prevent damage to my building. I was asked if I wanted to sell the building. I said "no" and was told that the City had no money to purchase it anyway, I did say the I would attempt to cooperate with anyone who wanted to develop the site eventually, and that cooperation may include contributing the site to the deal and participating in the development if the plan made any sense.

Based on the assurances made to me I agreed to permit the City to isolate the entire site, turn off the utilities to the building etc. (I did not have a possessory interest in the building to so authorize that stuff...only the tenant did, but I convinced the tenant to cooperate as well.)

Well, the contracter did not take one of the contractually obligated steps to protect the building even though it took extraordinary steps to protect the People Mover. The State, the City, and the DEGC sat there and watched the contractor casually disregard its obligations and virtually ignore most customary demolition practices and BOCA Code requirements governing the demolition process. Not only did they not care about my building, it's almost as if they wanted it destroyed. VERY BIG MISTAKE.

My building is a historic building. It was built in 1916 and utilized some very innovative construction techniques. It was, and is a unique building, not a "piece of shit" as a couple of you claim.

The fact is, the chances the City, the City and Ilitch, or anyone is ever going to develop the S-H site. More pie in the sky crap. It will end up just like the Tuller site across the street.

But I'll tell you no-nothing naysayers one thing. I have the time, the patience and the money (and I'll have a lot more when the lawsuit is decided) and I will rebuild that building. Period. Better than ever. And Detroit will better for it. (The DEGC has taken over security for the entire block. It better work. There better not be any more damage to my building or I'll end up owning the whole block.)

Thanks again for letting me introduce some facts into this thread. And thanks Gistok for introducing a little fairness into the thread. I believe you have said we have met but I don't recall the circumstances. Sorry.

Royce

Post Number: 1477
Posted From: 70.236.187.104
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni, I appreciate your efforts in maintaining the Michigan Building and the Parker-Webb Building. They are gems. However, the building in question should have been torn down with the Statler. Why didn't you sell it to the city,(eventhough you claim they didn't have the money to buy it)? Did you even try? Your little building may have been built in 1916 but it has been vacant for years, but now all of a sudden you want to renovate it.

I'm sure you will get paid handsomely for the damages to the building. However, for what it's worth. Use the money to demolish the building yourself and sell the land to the city or the developer who wants to develop the land. Don't be a clog in the machine. Just think for a moment: who's going to want this building and what would they want it for? If it takes you longer than a second to answer these questions, the building is not worth renovating.

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 64.118.136.130
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have the distaste for the building that its seems much of the rest of the forum has. I think it may be very nice if restored. It has the right scale for downtown. It seems Mr. Pieroni is a shrewd businessman and if a potential developer did come along for the site and the proposed project made it necessary for this building to go I think that Mr. Pieroni would be able to work a deal with the developer. With his ownership of the Michigan building I think he would be the first person to want to bring new activity to Bagley not stand in the way of development. He would stand to benefit the most by good development on the Statler Hilton & Tuller sites.

I have long been mystified that the Michigan Building has managed to weather the upheaval and blight that has surrounded it for so long. I think we should give Mr. Pieroni some credit for that.

Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, Thanks for your comments, and questions, which are reasonable. You ask: "Who's going to want the building and what would they want it for?" Well, I guaranty you that the day after it is restored, a tenant will move in. One tenant for the whole building. The lease will be signed the day renovation starts.

It may interest you to know that I have asked the DEGC to sell me additional land at the site in order for me to expand my parking. They politely declined but suggested that if the site is eventually developed there will be parking involved and that I should be able to make a deal with the developer for additional parking.

It may also interest folks to know that the DEGC has very graciously advised me in writing that it will cooperate fully in my dedevelopment efforts.

Rust, Thank you for your positive comments and questions.

I have absolutley no problem working with a prospective developer of the remainder of the site is that ever occurs. There is no reason my property can't be part of a new project.You're quite correct that reasonable and appropiate development of the site may positively impact my other real estate. I see no reason why both the old and the new can't co-exist.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2306
Posted From: 66.167.211.61
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni, thank you for stepping up to the plate and washing away the layers of speculation [and unwarranted insults] tossed out on this subject. Thank you too for your efforts to save and maintain the Michigan Theater Building while all around you has been allowed to fall into decay and ruin, sometimes as in the case of the United Artists, by those with far more resources that you possess.

I am a little amused that the AAA building has suddenly been 'discovered' now that the Statler is gone and similarly amused that some of our ardent preservationists dismiss it so blithely. Until now about all I knew about it was that Rock's father worked there.

I hope you make a killing from Homrich. For those with short memories, this is the same company that destroyed part of the People Mover shutting it down from full functionality for months following their botched demolition of Hudson's. How interesting that the victim is now being blamed for another Homrich FUp. Maybe we need to start a thread about what Homrich, who has made millions tearing down Detroit, has invested in downtown D compared to Mr. Pieroni.

Finally

quote:

I've never used a dime of City money, tax credits, other peoples money etc, borrowed money in any of my deals. How much time, effort and MONEY have those people calling me a slumlord actually done to make Detroit a better place?

Okay, detractors, step up and answer that one.

[crickets]

Can the same be said for the party who is allowing the United Artist to crumble?

Gistok

Post Number: 1826
Posted From: 4.229.129.214
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni, thanks for coming onto this forum.

Yes we met back circa 1998-2000 (don't feel bad about not remembering, I can't even remember the year!). I was in the area and visited you in your office on a lark. I was the fellow who wrote the October 30, 1997 (nearly full page) OpEd piece in the Free Press about the former Michigan Theatre (my article included a large picture of the parking garage and ornate ceiling) and how your building was going to be part of a casino complex (Mayor Archer's first Casino scheme).

We chatted for about 1/2 hour about the former theatre space mostly (you mentioned that the basement restrooms were sealed with rubble). And when I left I kiddingly told you that I was the "President and only member of the Michigan Theatre Fan Club".

Or maybe this will jar your memory.... I was that "nut case" that thought your theatre could one day be restored.... :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on February 22, 2006)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3226
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni,

Let me offer you, graciously, a sincere apology for anything that I said that was wrong or hurtful. It really is easy to hide behind the anonymity of the internet, and sometimes say incredibly candid and nasty things, not ever thinking that the person we speculate about may ever read this. I see that my use of the word "slumlord" seems to really have struck a nerve, and for that in particular, I humbly apologize.

This kid can admit when he's wrong, and I've been humbled. I would have replied sooner, but just stumbled back upon this particular thread after a few days. Once again, sincerest apologies.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1534
Posted From: 69.212.34.7
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You want to go in and see the damage created by the vandals Fnemecek?

Yes, actually, I would like to see it. You can email me by clicking on the blue link to the left.

quote:

I've never used a dime of City money, tax credits, other peoples money etc, borrowed money in any of my deals. How much time, effort and MONEY have those people calling me a slumlord actually done to make Detroit a better place?

I never called you a slumlord. I questioned the validity of your vandalism claim when it didn't show up in DPD's records. As for what I've done to me make Detroit a better place...

* Founded my own business in Detroit;
* Bought and maintain a home here;
* Worked w/ Detroit Synergy to bring 300+ people (from places as far away as Toledo) to downtown to do their holiday shopping and did it for 2 years in a row;
* Acted as a police informant and shut down a drug / prostitution ring, putting a few bad guys behind bars (okay - they primarily operated in Flint, but it helped Detroit because they dealt here, too);
* Cleaned up trash on a dozen different occassions as part of one community clean-up or another;
* Served as an ambassador during SBXL;
* Active in a half-dozen different community groups to boot.

I'm not saying my work is better or worse than anyone else's, but you asked the question.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1539
Posted From: 70.236.201.1
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hope you make a killing from Homrich. For those with short memories, this is the same company that destroyed part of the People Mover shutting it down from full functionality for months following their botched demolition of Hudson's.

I can't believe this is happening, but I'm actually going to stick up for a demolition guy.

I object to calling Homrich's work on the Hudson's building a "botched" job. The DPM track was built dangerously close to the Hudson's building.

No matter who did the job, there was a significant probablity of debris damaging the track. This, for those with equally short memories, was one of the reasons cited for not demolishing the building in the first place.

quote:

How interesting that the victim is now being blamed for another Homrich FUp.

I also question the two assumptions you made in that statement, Lowell.

As I pointed out above, Mr. Pieroni's claim that his building had been vandalised by people dropping in from the former Statler cannot be corraborated by DPD's records.

When someone makes claims that cannot be cooraborated, it brings into question the validity of their claim. That validity is made even more questionable when they turn around and demand money as compensation for their "damages".

Here's an example of what I mean:

Hey Lowell:
You backed over my kid's bicycle when you were leaving the house the other day. You me $200.

If you're so eager to believe Mr. Pieroni's claim's without any proof then you shouldn't have any problems sending me a check.

Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Gistok: I do remember our discussion. Thanks for reminding me.I don't remember you suggesting the theater could be restored. However, a guy came to see me 10 years ago with an elaborate proposal to restore the theater to it's original glory for $2,000,000, which he felt he could raise from investors. After the work was done he wanted to lease the theater for 10 to 15 years. He's the nut case. There's not enough money in the world to restore the theater. I showed the theater to the guy who restored the Fox and he as much as said the same thing..can't remember his name.

To LMichigan: Thanks for your response. Very classy. (Actually, I have thick skin and apology or not, you'd have been free to stop by for a drink any day.)

To Fnemecek: I'll contact you byemail to setup a viewing of the building. The damage was thoroughly documented in 2000 and estimates of the repairs were obtained at that time. Notation was made of the mode of entry. The door to the roof had been kicked in, there was a makeshift ladder from the S-H to the roof of my building etc. And, The prfire damage was disclosed to all in the lawsuit and no claim is being made against Homrich for that damage. When you tour the building you'll see the nature and extent of the pre-fire damage and it's evident it was not fire related.

I know you have contributed much to the City. I also recognize, because I have a couple of friends who post on here from time to time, and I've lurked around now and then to see what's going on, there are many, many people who contribute in many ways to the betterment of the City, many, and probably quite a few people on this forum, that contribute more than I. I just wanted people to know that not all of who are not as preservation oriented as some do contribute in their own way. (And I welcome 100's of people each year on the Preservation Wayne Tours of the Theater. I hear and enjoy the various comments which range from "whoever did this should be hung" to "at least it's being put to some use, unlike the UA, and it's helped keep the office building viable."

I'll contact you be email re: the tour of 139. I'll look forward to it, and meeting you.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1540
Posted From: 70.236.201.1
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for replying.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 982
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apologies if my post was a little overboard as well. "Tear that schitt down" is a favorite phrase on this forum and does not necessarily reflect on the quality of your building. :-)

The gist of my post still stands, though, mainly speculation on my part that the block as a whole is probably worth more as an empty space for a larger development, since it's almost an empty right now. On the other hand, if a development offer for the whole block never comes along, I can't argue with redeveloping what you have.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 935
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni is a stand-up guy for coming on this forum, stating his case, and answering questions. Very few downtown property owners would do that and open themselves up for criticism.

Gistok

Post Number: 1834
Posted From: 4.229.72.7
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni has a well know Artist as a former brother-in-law. Jose Camille Vargara was once family to Mr. Pieroni. For those not familiar with Mr. Vargara, he was the NYC Artist who did a book on the ruins of downtown Detroit, labeling it an "American Acropolis". I wouldn't doubt it that the former Michigan Theatre is what initially inspired Mr. Vargara on his love for the buildings of Detroit.

Mr. Pieroni, being the principal owner of one of the most unique building complexes in the world, you must really have some great anecdotes about some of the visitors you get from around the world who want to visit the former theatre. Has the movie "8 Mile" created any additional interest in your building? I'll bet you own a copy of "8 Mile"? :-)

I once stopped by, and saw they were filming a commercial there. Do you get a lot of requests for photo ops?

Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 209.69.198.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistock: Camilo is doing well and stays w/ us when he is in Detroit. He was to speak at U. of M. a couple of weeks ago but his flights were cancelled because of snow in NYC and he did not make it.

Many people wish to tour the theater/parking garage and this week a professor and 12 architectural students from Carleton Univ. in Ottawa dropped in to do that. Many requests for photo ops.

Call me to chat if you's like.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 69.81.52.28
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this new trend of people from news articles being discussed joining the forum to fire back. Cracks me up everytime it happens.

Now if only an Ilitch would pop up in the middle of a thread... that'd be a shoe-in for thread of the year.

Lawnmowerman
Username: Lawnmowerman

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 71.244.185.179
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seen a chain link fence going up at 139 Bagley Ave today.

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 68.43.180.171
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The AAA Building is getting boarded up:

AAA Building

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 69.222.52.39
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the board up??????

Royce

Post Number: 1484
Posted From: 70.227.207.76
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody calls this the AAA Building. However, wasn't the AAA headquarters in the United Artists Building?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 973
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was later, I believe.

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 790
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, could this (relevant) older thread be incorporated into this one?

Thanx in advance,
-EZ

Gistok

Post Number: 1839
Posted From: 4.229.6.215
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni, EMAIL me with your phone number at istokg@earthlink.net

Thanks

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice if Ilitch would speak on here every once in a while. It's nice to have something more than rumors.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 840
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, am amazed at the lurkers of this forum.This forum is really bringing forth some very notable people that are really pertinent to the revival of this great city. I really appreciate Mr. Peironi for standing up and giving answers to what we obviously speculate.

And I would love for Mr. Ilich would speak his mind on this forum, or at least his son could.

It is so obvious that this city has a lot of people that LOVE what is taking place in the downtown area. This thread alone is one of the reasons why I appreciate what Lowell has created in this forum. i am very proud of this forum and its members.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.