Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit, honey, we're breaking up... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 336
Posted From: 68.251.199.185
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dear detroit....

look i'm sorry to drop this on you like this, but it's just not working out anymore. I just don't feel the way that I did when I first moved in with you 4 years ago.. I mean, things were so different then. we had so much to look forward to, and everything had an optomistic glean to it.

But recently, I've been noticing more and more of your bad behavior and frankly, it disturbs me. You cut people off in traffic, you litter, and frankly sometimes you stink. You have a bad habit of stealing from people and generally knocking teeth out on any given friday or saturday night. You drink too much and eat way too much fast food. In fact, you're one of the most materialistic and pretentious burgs I've ever met!

You sure have a hankering for firearms too, dontcha ms. murder capital of the country. But oh yeah, I forgot... "Thats how you roll"

What I used to think of as your 'gritty edge is', well, pardon me for saying it but its just plain dirtyness. Everything I used to revel in, your towering pre-depression skyscrapers, wide and uneven byways, 'colorful' characters, are now tainted with the bitter and jaded veil of someone who's been making something work a little longer than they should have. Yeah, we had some wild and unforgettable nights, partying in your clubs, venues, and warehouses so many times I couldn't even count. You gave me my first live show, and connected me with many people I'll never forget. It sure was a good run, wasn't it?

But now, in the twilight of our romance, I must say that I've outgrown so many of the experiences we once cherished together... I can't say I enjoy going 'out on the town' in the way we used to. So many of the buildings you once invited me into are now off limits or gone altogether. The punk rock shows I enjoyed as a kid have changed, so have the fabulous underground parties. Even your graffiti culture has a quadruple helping of ego, and it's a little unbecoming... The fact is, we've just grown apart. You're coming along and becoming a more serious, focused entity... and so am I. It's just you're not moving at the pace that I once expected you would, and I'm afraid I cant sit and wait much longer.

Another part of it is the fact that we work together. Having to see you every workign day of my life has shown me a side of you that I never really believed existed. I've seen your people maliciously hurt each other, for fun, and they've even taken a few swings at me! Remember the time your friend chased me up and down Troester street? Or how about your other friend firing rounds off next to my car on Schoolcraft? What the f**k was up with that? Or how about your countless friends who have stolen from me, including the sneaky bastard I actually collared in the apartment. Or your buddies who tipped my motorcycles over, or how about the ones who threw a beer bottle thru my window, apparently 'just because'. You have so many crazy sides to you... Gratiot and Six... Houston-Whittier.. Conner and Mack... Lynch and Van Dyke... Dexter-Davison... The list goes on and on.... I just can't see myself living with a sociopathic, hostile metropolis for the rest of my life, you know...

So please don't cry, you'll always be my first & only hometown. I just want something different out of life, and it's something I'm afraid that you just can't provide. I was once the proud detroiter, I would always stick up for you no matter what the others said. I guess some things just chage, and I'm sure time heals all wounds, but the only thing I can think about these days is moving on to greener pastures...

So look, can we still be friends? We've known each other since my dad took me to Red Wings games as a kid. Remember when uncle joe took me to Lafayette coney when I was like 8 and taught me how to order a special, then got a ticket for going 100MPH in front of the wonder bread factory?? oh the memories we share (and have lost, heh heh)! We sure go back a long way, kiddo.

Lets get real, until I hear something about a transfer out-of-town, we're still going to have to live and work togtheer. Lets just make the best of it... I promise to try to not dis you in front of company, as long as you can keep the gunfire and random confrontations with crackheads and assholes to a minimum, OK?

please don't hate me, I'll always love you!

(Message edited by paulj on February 21, 2006)

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't wanna know how you two got hooked up.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1382
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulj --

Brilliant. While Detroit and I have decided to try to make it work "for the kids" I am completely empathetic with your feelings and situation.

Summed up quite well, I believe.

Thank you for sharing.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 813
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for me...I am still in love with Detroit. In order to prosper you have to give more than 50%...thats only half way...Detroit, I love you and promise to put in at least 75% into the relationship.

Oh yeah Detroit, as for Paulj,

If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they're yours; if they don't they never were...and it just wasn't meant to be.

You will be alright without him anyway...

Tried and true...

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1446
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the honeymoon ends it *really* ends, doesn't it?

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 480
Posted From: 70.186.39.150
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit and I have a great long distance relationship, though I do fool around with Memphis from time to time. This way our reunions are always special, and way too short ...

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 260
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet Paul gets drunk one night and makes his way back for the re-tap.

Everyman
Username: Everyman

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 24.136.14.239
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Detroit,

It's my understanding that you are going through some things right now. I'm sorry. I hope you're doing okay...

Why don't we meet up for drinks and then relax at my place afterwards. It'll be a good time and you can forget all of your problems, even if only for one night.

Sincerely,
That guy

Username: 1953

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deear Detroit,

Get your hand off my butt!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 858
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seems like a lot of this has been going around lately - I think it's a post Super Bowl malaise. Some eyes were opened by all the spectacle and are now seeing the relative difference.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 69.246.30.248
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's cool. Detroit and I have been hooking up almost every night for more than a year anyway.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 920
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PaulJ,

That was excellent. Profound and valid.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 283
Posted From: 69.242.220.249
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's classic, I'm saving that one.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 651
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes I wonder if I live in the same Detroit y'all do. What are you people doing and where are you hanging out that puts you in these shitty situations?

Dad always said, "If you go looking for trouble, you'll find it."

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 589
Posted From: 70.233.4.107
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderfull post it is what i feel. I will retap it though. Because we all know the crazies are the best at it.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2094
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... now where did we put that photo of a bikini-clad girl turning cartwheels at the beach again? ...

Leidio
Username: Leidio

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 128.103.170.26
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is the bathing suit poster girl on the wall of my apartment in Boston.

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 198.109.49.243
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with PaulJ and Eric C, my relationship with Detorit has worn my ass out... but I have not been robber, shot at and in danger nearly as much as you seemed to have been in my time here...

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 69.246.118.98
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To: 'Paulj

Dear future 'sub-urbanite' 'y-t'

Kiss Ma' BLACK ASS!!!!!

Yours Truly,
City of Detroit

super d(motordetroit)

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 64.118.149.50
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice......

Paulj

Post Number: 339
Posted From: 216.148.222.157
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do residential and business repair work that sometimes leaves me working outside, after dark. My jurisdiction is detroit, highland park, hamtramck, and the east side burbs south of 8-mile. Perhaps this sheds some light on the subject of why I seem to find myself in some perculiar situations

It's our working relationship that I think has put the most strain between detroit and I. And no, I'm not seeing another city... I think my next locale will be a small town or rural area in a mountain state.

so you can keep hamtramck, just gimmie that countryside, ala green acres (ba-dump-bump-crash... I'm here till friday, folks)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9899
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Eric_C on this one.

I've been here 4 years and 1 month and my passion has only grown stronger. While for the most part I have avoided any sort of troubles, I've heard the gun fire, walked up upon shooting scenes a few times now, talked to people who have been shot, as well as others who have been victims of crime. I'd be lying if I said Detroit doesn't get me down in the dumps now and then, yet it's never enough to change my love. Everybody has their breaking point, you seem to have reached your limit. Yet if your work environment is responsible for most of your headaches, then I'd simply find either a different line of work or transfer to a suburb.

(key up "Another one bites the dust" by Queen)

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you're going to queue up a Queen song for Paulj, you should pick "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" instead.
haha.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1214
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting post, Paulj.

If I wrote something to Detroit, I'd tell her that I've enjoyed our get-togethers, but it will soon be time to get serious and settle down. By loving this city but not living there, I get to gloss over a lot of her dark spots, and focus on the bright ones, sharing those with other people. But eventually I'll probably be taking her for what she is and moving in. The good thing about her is that she is getting better with age.

Paulj

Post Number: 340
Posted From: 216.148.222.157
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sport...

I hear what you're saying, but I love what I do. It's just I dont care for where I do it. I'm much more committed to my chosen craft than my city of residence.

And for the record, for as much trouble as detroit has given me, she's always tops in my book over my first long-term, that soulless faceless plastic whore called Oakland County :-)

To be completely fair to detroit, the city isn't the only reason I'm ready to split. Its the metro area and its constant infighting, it's the state of mighigan and its bleak economic prospects, and it's also the midwest and its sea of flatness. I'm finding as I get older that I can really appreciate things like climbing, hiking, and camping. The midwest just aint the place to be considering I gotta drive several hours in any direction to find the first hint of mountains and a more motorcycle-friendly climate.

we'll always have the memories, baby...

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 985
Posted From: 69.221.78.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds totally fair to me. Can't say I disagree too much w/ your characterization. I'm sure I'll get to a point where I want some real nature to replace the urban jungle. At least you gave it some love for a while, which is more than a multitude of closed minds around the region would have done.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 191
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm finding as I get older that I can really appreciate things like climbing, hiking, and camping. The midwest just aint the place to be considering I gotta drive several hours in any direction to find the first hint of mountains

Have you considered joining the Downtown YMCA? There's a 38' climbing wall.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 652
Posted From: 68.73.57.108
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admit, Detroit's political infighting does wear me out. Taxes and insurance bite, too.

At days end though, and for almost ten years, I find that I enjoy the hell out of everything here and that it just works for me.

I love my neighbors, our soon-to-be 100 year-old home and neighborhood. I love being a ten minute walk to the improving riverfront and Belle Isle, where I got married.

All issues aside, I appreciate warm summers on the front porch with friends under a canopy of trees as well as animal prints out the window in the winter snow.

I love being no more than a forty-five minute walk or nine minute car-ride from Campus Martius, Eastern Market, Midtown, New Center or Hamtramck. In fact, going past Six Mile, or West of the Michigan Central seems excessively distant. The whole center city really just "works for me".

I spend every possible dime in Detroit, Hamtramck, or Highland Park, because I know it originally came to me from my friends and neighbors.

'Spose it all seems hokey, but it works for me. My Detroit is my own. I respect her immensely, all facets, and it is from this fact my affection is begat.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 70.141.78.103
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Detroit,

see you when I drive into work.

signed...

had to leave

Paulj

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

neilr as much as I can appreciate your suggestion, I want to wake up every day and be able to climb or camp near something natural.. like this:

my bike near Moab, UT

While I haven't seen the inside of the new Y yet, I cant imagine that camping out in brush park and hiking down to the climbing wall carries the same sense of awe...

I guess riding the bike cross-country last year really set me off on this path, for better or for worse (and frankly it feels like for better, for me anyhow).

(Message edited by paulj on February 21, 2006)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 192
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulj,
Thanks for the picture. And when I'm struggling to make it up the climbing wall at the Y, that's how it looks to me :-).

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3736
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulj, So you're divorcing Detroit and marrying the Ms. Suburb! I hope you too couples have a good marriage.

Missnmich

Post Number: 481
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny

Moab, Utah ain't no suburb.

But if he gets in with the right sect of LDSers, he might be able to marry Grand Junction too ...

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 376
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulj,
I'm getting rid of my full suspension mountainbike, you sound like JUST the guy that needs it. ;)

Danny

Post Number: 3738
Posted From: 141.217.173.186
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missnmich,

What are you writing about? This is a Detroit thread not a Moab, Utah comment! Are you taking any silly pills today?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9903
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please stop, my gut hurts and I've got a flood of tears from laughter!

quote:

Danny

Post Number: 3738
Posted From: 141.217.173.186

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:24 am:
Missnmich,

What are you writing about? This is a Detroit thread not a Moab, Utah comment! Are you taking any silly pills today?

Missnmich

Post Number: 483
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love those silly pills ...

Paulj

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wwoooooOOoOOOo I feel silly. Maybe when I dont feel silly I'll be on the same wavelength as the ghettoman...

naaaah I like silly

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 492
Posted From: 24.180.77.218
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

paul, you summed it up preety well. I find it difficult to balance the stay postive and happy, with the stay tough and aware because something can go down any second.
I've difficulty doing that in Detroit, but it is possible. I lived in CO for 5 yrs, you'll get used to it like anywhere else...or maybe not cause Moab looks like Mars

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 924
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul,
Your thread leaves me stuck in the middle. There is still a possibility of a new job in metro Detroit, and I have always been a fan and proponent. But in San Francisco, for the most part, I don't have to worry about being beaten up, robbed, etc (tho there is certainly NO shortage of crack addicts wandering the streets :-) )

It is already somewhat hard to think of heading out there, as much as I have grown to love it when I was living there. I've always wondered if I was being naive and my optimism that the city and region are on the upswing (I believe Detroit definitely is) might be dragged back down when I come across people who have no respect for other's lives or property. I worry I could end up coming there with high expectations and have them totally deflated.

I suppose I can always do it. If I find its not for me, I can always go someplace else. But it sure doesn't make it easy to love, financially or otherwise. Pay more to live with less.

May I suggest Coeur d'Alene, Idaho for your new home? It was my hometown when I grew up, and while I can't see myself there at 25, I honestly believe it may be one of the best places to live on earth. If you're an outdoorsey, motorcycling, boatin, hikin, fishin kinda guy, there truly is no better place. http://www.coeurdalene.org/

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2738
Posted From: 68.251.199.98
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulj,
Your original post struck a chord within me.

With all the years I've invested in this City, no one can claim I didn't try. I am very close to the same decision you have made, although my move might be even more extreme as I would be leaving the US, if I follow that path.

Good Luck to you, life is to be lived, no matter which path you follow.

Paulj

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well i'm by no means even focused on moab, i just thought the picture was a striking example,.

I have a bunch of pictures of my trip that I took that really swung me towards living in a mountain state on my travelouge website http://www.detroitbikers.net/ - it's the summer 2005 ride.

I've heard great things about coeur d'alene, and I gotta admit idaho was one of my favorite adventures on the trip.... gorgeous out there.

and hey Jerome:

I would want you to know that I'm 26 years old, born and raised in metro detroit. I've never lived anywhere but here, so although I believe that I'm making a decision based upon my own rational observations, I can't say it's impossible that part of my drive to move is fueled by a young persons need to explore. Besides, I do end up working in some of the shadier parts of town that you probably wouldn't ever travel thru if you were to move here. Although I feel like I'm making a well thought out decision, its difficult-to-impossible to step out of ones own perspective & see things the way an outsider would. You might come here & fall in love with the place, I just feel like at best I've lived 25% of my life here and theres alot more to this world then southeastern michigan, united states. my opinion is for sure to be taken with a grain of salt, just like anything else you'd read on the internet.

thats my story and I'm sticking to it. and ain't no way i'm moving back to no soulless detroit suburb.

(Message edited by paulj on February 23, 2006)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skipping out of one's hometown is not a Detroit thing. Having lived in New York City for over 20 years the number transplants I've met here far out weigh the number of New York natives I've known. Without doing any numbers or having any references, I feel comfortable saying we live in a pretty transient country.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1830
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That may be true, but the Number of Michiganders I meet who relocated here to GA, far outnumber people from other states.

On a positive migration note for MI, I do know a couple and their two toddlers who will be moving back to The Detroit Metro from Atl sometime this year.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 192.217.12.254
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO off at your letter. But why hasn't anyone put in the response you'd really get? (see below)

------------
Dear Paulj:

Listen, you little city-hopping slut. If I won't love you, who will? If it weren't for me, who would tax the hell out of you, keep you waiting on hold calling municipal offices, and act like your kind (whatever that is) isn't wanted? By the way, I think the only reason you are leaving is that you finally figured out you don't own this plantation!

Sincerely,
City of Detroit

/s/

By Barbara Rose Collins,
a Councilperson

P.S. Don't let the Ambassador Bridge hit you in the ass on your way out.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 153.90.171.16
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul,

Just a heads up. I'm originally from the Detroit are and now live in Montana. All those things that you think are "uniquely" Detroit problems (i.e. stupidity caused by drinking and drugs) are almost more rampant out here. Booze and more importantly meth problems produce crime incidents that would make the average Detroiter gaping in shock. I live in the rural mountain state, and more than anything else I would trade it in for Detroit's issues. The poverty out here is almost inescapable. You only have to drive 10 miles, I have about 500 hundred before I hit any sort of escape from this. The grass is always greener my friend.

P.S. Try to afford to buy something to live in out here. Oh, and unions. Well that's an alien concept to the locals.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.