Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Asian Village to come soon on riverfront « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1621
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060221/BUS INESS06/602210397/1002/BUSINES S

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1447
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Asian House," what a great and original name for a restaurant!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 436
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here I thought it would be just another big-ass parking structure. Oh wait...

IT IS JUST A BIG ASS PARKING STRUCTURE.

Nevertheless, it'd be good to have a little mix of the asian culture on the riverfront.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 970
Posted From: 69.212.173.138
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump, talk more about this. Asian food in detroit is a good thing.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 68.73.197.27
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky Dragon! Yum.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1173
Posted From: 84.162.72.88
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always like me asian food handled through bullet proof glass. That is my memory of China one...just down the street from my house.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1174
Posted From: 84.162.72.88
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always like me asian food handled through bullet proof glass. That is my memory of China one...just down the street from my house.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2745
Posted From: 136.181.195.65
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I always like me asian food..."

Celebrating "Talk Like a Pirate Day" early?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5544
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1179
Posted From: 66.238.170.31
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shiver me timbers! Maybe they could complete the whole pirate/Asian theme with a Chinese Junk moored at the seawall.

Seriously though, it's great to see this coming to Detroit and the riverfront in particular. Who in Detroit ever knew you could do so much with a parking garage? This sort of thing (having useful things in parking garages other than parking) is done often in other cities and it's about time Detroit got around to it. Hopefully it will serve as an example to other would-be parking ramp owners that you don't have to be a blight on the surrounding area as a parking garage.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1040
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well... Its best to park our Newly made Geelee motors vehicals next to those who made the product...

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 174
Posted From: 200.65.7.48
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I-d like to see more convenient stores, small ones on upper levels in parking structures downtown. Really makes sense.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1185
Posted From: 66.238.170.31
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the article did a bad job of describing the development. Only the banquet space will be on the upper level. The rest of the restaurants and stores will be on the ground level, creating a nice pedestrian environment in what would have otherwise been a ped. dead zone.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 216.111.89.3
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do they persist on building parking garages on the River....at least their trying to hide their ugliness.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1469
Posted From: 70.236.187.104
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove passed that parking garage. There are no doors opening to the sidewalk. Therefore, there won't be a lot of pedestrian traffic outside. It will be in an inner walkway.

Oh why, oh why, are there no doors? Even if the businesses will be set back and there is an inner walkway, it would seem logical that at least one doorway would be present on Atwater. Typical Detroit style of thinking. You want to get more people to experience the riverfront, but you close them off in a parking garage.
Where is Skulker to explain this one? I've got to hear the rationale for this one.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3734
Posted From: 141.217.84.82
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new psuedo chinatown in Detroit. I hope it works.

Ganib_ganabs
Username: Ganib_ganabs

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 68.41.123.242
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any pictures for the vehicular declined? My pirate ship wont fit under the Ambassador Bridge...

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 978
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce -- it's hard to tell for sure, but the rendering on the freep page implies that there will be a pedestrian entrance facing the river, under the giant glass thingy. Maybe the entrance(s) just haven't been completed yet?

I agree that there should be additional retail entrances on the first floor facing the river, since there should be substantial pedestrian activity there (being a "river walk" and all).

Dougw

Post Number: 980
Posted From: 68.73.207.58
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, this is great news all around, regardless of the aesthetics. Downtown could definitely use more Asian food variety such as Vietnamese and Korean. And a market would be fantastic!!

Anyone else notice that there seem to be a million Thai restaurants around downtown all of a sudden? There are 5 of them now within a mile of the CBD. (2 Sala Thais, Bahn Thai, Orchid Thai, Bangkok Crossing) Not complaining, but it seems odd.

(Message edited by Dougw on February 22, 2006)

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 530
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce,

You constantly complain about new projects during the construction phase. For once, could you wait until the project is completed before you start ranting about how shitty it is?

During construction of C-Mart. you complained about how poorly it was planned. During the Broadway reconstruction, you complained about how bad it was planned, and bitched about the loss of curbside parking that was never lost.

Now you are complaining about the Asian Village project.

quote:

"There are no doors opening to the sidewalk. Therefore, there won't be a lot of pedestrian traffic outside. It will be in an inner walkway."

Once again, you are wrong. There will be doors opening to the sidewalk and street.

We have plenty of valid things to bitch about in Detroit. For Pete's sake, stop bitching about the projects that are being done well.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4692
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erik, but it's all about the 25 seconds one has to spend waiting at the CM stoplights...

geez. I think the ZOG is getting to you.

Royce

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Erikd, how are they going to cut doorways into what appears to be a permanent glass wall? Have you seen what I'm talking about? What do you know that I don't? Most construction projects that I've seen usually have doorways put into place at the same time that the wall is put up. They usually don't go back later and knock holes into the walls to make room for the doorways.

Yeah, I'm quick to criticize new projects because I'm tired of seeing nearly every project in Detroit being done without the consideration of the people who have to navigate through this town. That includes me.

The Washington Boulevard Mall was a bad idea. After 25 years smarter heads prevailed and it was returned to its original splendor, and I love it. Well, it didn't take me 25 years to figure out that the mall was a bad idea. I knew it was messed up from day one.

The Renaissance Center was built as an enclosed fortress, and should have included some residential units. Now it is a much more open and inviting place(the berms are gone and the Wintergarden has opened up the back) and the RiverEast project will make up for the lack of residential units.

I bitched about all the traffic stops around Campus Martius Park, but have you noticed that there aren't as many traffic lights stopping traffic now. The Michigan Avenue and the Monroe Avenue traffic lights are flashing red lights, and the traffic light that was at Cadillac Square has been completely eliminated. The time it takes to get from the Michigan Avenue side to the Monroe Avenue side is no longer than a regular traffic light stop. I guess someone heard my complaints along with dozens of other commuters.

I will concede that my complaints about putting an island along Broadway was premature. They did a great job.

Now, if I see something looking like it's not going to be done correctly I going to complain because nine times out of ten it can't be rectified for years to come. However, in the future, Erikd, I will attempt to wait until a project is finished before I express my dissatifaction with it.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 434
Posted From: 67.114.23.202
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well... Its best to park our Newly made Geelee motors vehicals next to those who made the product...

That is SUCH a midwestern comment. Pangborn is Korean; his partner is Korean; the article mentions Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese take-out foods and a Pacific Island themed place......I see no mention of Chinese in the article.

Ganib_ganabs
Username: Ganib_ganabs

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 68.41.123.242
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the picture in the link above it sure looks like their are storefront cutouts at teh bottom of the parking structure to me...

Jltyler
Username: Jltyler

Post Number: 236
Posted From: 69.212.34.58
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's the difference between this and African Village?

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asian Village is one-stop shop and African Village is supposed to be a destination with benefits for those who qualify.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8132
Posted From: 64.228.202.130
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing...they are both gross, fake and uninspiring.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1636
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One was being created by a governmental entity, which more then likely would have failed because of it. The other is being built by a business man and not created by a governmental entity.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3591
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Asian House," what a great and original name for a restaurant!

Sorta like "Woodward Breakfast House and Grill with His and Hers Bathrooms, Warm Coffee and Six Busboys on Every Shift"?

quote:

Why do they persist on building parking garages on the River....

Because thousands of GM employees currently park on massive surface lots. Now they can park in the garage and the parking lots can be used for this...
http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/rivereast.aspx

Last I saw, there were plenty of openings for pedestrian access from Atwater. I haven't been past in 2-3 weeks though.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1446
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I bitched about all the traffic stops around Campus Martius Park, but have you noticed that there aren't as many traffic lights stopping traffic now. The Michigan Avenue and the Monroe Avenue traffic lights are flashing red lights, and the traffic light that was at Cadillac Square has been completely eliminated. The time it takes to get from the Michigan Avenue side to the Monroe Avenue side is no longer than a regular traffic light stop. I guess someone heard my complaints along with dozens of other commuters.

The are shut off because the traffic isn't great enough. Rest assured that they will get turned back on if (probably when) they are warranted.

For all I know, they are already on during certain hours of the day, just now when I'm around.

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 668
Posted From: 192.193.221.142
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my question is, has Royce ever left his car? I don't think I have heard a comment about him walking around a project. Not a critique, just curious.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3594
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but it took him 53 seconds to cross a park. Now he is scarred for life.

Royce

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Restoretheroar, the next time you want to ask something about me, just ask me. I'm the most reliable source that can tell you about me.

Now, to answer your question. Yes, I get out of my car. I walk around downtown all the time. If the project is accessible I'll walk over to it and go through it with a fine tooth comb.

However, there are times when getting out of the car is not feasible, especially when it is very cold. So, when that happens I observe things from my car. And the fact is, some things don't need a close-up view to see that they are not done right. For example, why is there a concrete wall on the south side of Atwater in front of this new parking structure? It was there before the structure was built, but you can't see the river while driving, unless you're in an SUV. I don't drive an SUV. Why not an iron fence? Just makes it easier for all of us to view the river.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 500
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I think you should move to that town called Perfect....you know the one in the Walgreens commercials.

Oops, my bad don't move there, you wouldn't have anything to complain about, then what would you do with your time?

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Millenium Park in Chicago has a beautiful Oriental inspired zen garden complete with boardwalk and running water, I think somthing like this would look equally as beatuiful in Detroit..

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw, I noticed that too, that there are now at least 5 Thai restaurants in or near downtown, with the just opened Bangkok Crossing (very good) and the re-opened Sala Thai off Lafayette. But not a single Chinese restaurant in the CBD with a street fronting presence?

Personally, I can't wait until I can get a bowl of pho downtown.

I think the only similarity between this and African Town are that the names begin with continents.

Royce

Post Number: 1509
Posted From: 69.212.214.242
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still no rebuttal from you, Erikd. Have you seen the development first hand? What do you think?

Dougw

Post Number: 1009
Posted From: 68.74.30.120
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw your post, Tomoh. I tried Bangkok Crossing recently and I agree it was quite good... better than Bahn Thai/Orchid Thai IMO.

Some bi bim bop downtown would be good, too.

For Chinese I usually go to the newer one on East Jefferson near the Farmer Jack, which is OK.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 919
Posted From: 204.39.224.44
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Asian Village will occupy 18,000 square feet, facing out on the river from the ground floor of the new, nearly completed 7-story parking structure at Beaubien and Atwood streets.

Don't they mean Atwater? Atwood (stadium at least)is up here in Flint.

Erikd

Post Number: 547
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce,

The doors open to the sidewalk at the ends of the retail strip. You don't have to go through the garage to get inside.

Royce

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikd, exactly.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 924
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove past this place tonight and thought to myself...why in the hell would they designe this place like this. I almost got out to see if the glass would magically transform into doors or something. This storefront was poorly designed and it does nothing to help promote any foot traffic in the area.

This design is stooopid!!!

Royce

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Broken_main. Exactly.

Erikd

Post Number: 548
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, you keep saying that there are no doors opening to sidewalk on Atwater...

quote:

"Oh why, oh why, are there no doors? Even if the businesses will be set back and there is an inner walkway, it would seem logical that at least one doorway would be present on Atwater."

quote:

"There are no doors opening to the sidewalk."

You are wrong. There are 2 doors that open to the sidewalk on Atwater.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 500
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone think of ANY reason (besides stupidity) that they would come up with a design like this. They have to have some idiotic reason.

?????????????????????????

later - naturalsister

Erikd

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce and Naturalsister,

Let's wait to see the project finished before we call it a stupid, idiotic, poorly-designed failure.

As a long-time downtown resident, I am also frustrated by the poor planning and lack of vision in many city projects, but I think that GM and the Pangborn group deserve the benefit of the doubt.

GM has spent a half-billion dollars to transform the RenCen and surrounding Jefferson/riverfront area from an imposing fortress, surrounded by a sea of parking lots, into a public-friendly destination with retail and a beautiful riverfront, built for all to enjoy. Dominic Pangborn was one of the first retailers to move into the new Wintergarden, and he is now filling the first River East development with an entire block of retail.

GM and Pangborn have both committed alot to Detroit, and their projects have been top-notch. I am confident that this new development will be a nice addition to the downtown/riverfront area. These people didn't invest all that money to build a cheap, half-assed strip mall on the riverfront.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 930
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikd, I am going to take this wait and see approach to see if this design is beneficial for the patrons and pedestrian. When it opens i will test it out myself and then judge. Still in my own opinion, unless they have Star Trek-like Transporter to get inside, it just won't work.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 69.218.157.100
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be my bet that the problem is Atwater traffic. There is no direct entrance to the Ren Cen from Jefferson anymore (Renaissance Drive is a one-way feeding into Jefferson), and your two approaches are Atwater to the west (Jefferson to Bates to) or some combination of east riverfront streets to Atwater (or Woodbridge). By my rough guess (based on workers in the building), Atwater is handling at least 5,000 cars owned by the people who work in the building - and these cars are coming in on Atwater in the morning and leaving via it each evening. Plus there are cars, taxis, Metrocars, and tour buses that don't belong to the office workers.

If you are around Atwater behind the Renaissance Center during rush hour or any big event, you'll understand the problem with doors on that street. Having doors on Atwater invites people to stop their cars to load or unload people, which chokes the traffic coming into the complex. Then you get people driving on the wrong side of the street to get around the choke point, and then you can imagine the result. It will only get worse when one of the things in there is a supermarket, where the loaders/unloaders will be struggling with bags and bags of stuff.

If that complex ends up with no doors off Atwater, you can't just chalk it up to some collossal f-up. If you have day-to-day familiarity with that area, it seems completely rational.

And come on - people bring cars to supermarkets (and they would be parking in the garage). And at present, there is no reason pedestrians would wander across Jefferson, through a raft of parking garages and down to Atwater to see what is going on. When the River East stuff gets built and there is a walkable area, then it would be time to revisit entries off Atwater.

Royce

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huggybear, I can see your point. However, it only forces me to ask this question, "If GM was aware of the traffic on Atwater, why not build the parking deck further back so that a parking lane or two could be added to alleviate any traffic congestion problems?"

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 504
Posted From: 64.148.228.76
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit NEEDS crowds and gridlock and a few more choking points like all the other CITIES THAT PEOPLE LIKE TO SPEND TIME AND MONEY IN.

later - naturalsister

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 68.252.13.150
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, good question - I'm not sure that adding parking lanes would be better, since you would then have people either trying to parallel park or diagonally park. This would itself cause some disruption. The best place to put a pedestrian entrance might be on St. Antoine, where you would have a natural connection to the rest of River East. That way you could do your other shopping down the street on the pedestrian friendly section, walk back to the garage, do your grocieries and finally leave with your car.

Royce

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you, Skulker, to explain away this one?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.