Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ::: Detroit Zoo Superthread ::: » Council defends Zoo vote « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2518
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Council members defend zoo vote, hope for revisions to plan

February 21, 2006
By Sheena Harrison

Several Detroit City Council members on Tuesday morning defended their opposition to a plan to turn over Detroit Zoological Institute operations to the Detroit Zoological Society and say they’re hopeful the plan can be revised in order to keep the zoo open.

“I do not believe that the zoo deal is finished,” council member JoAnn Watson said during a press conference at city hall.

City Council voted 7-2 late Saturday against a plan to transfer the zoo’s operations and most of its funding to the nonprofit Detroit Zoological Society. The transfer would have made the zoo eligible for $4 million in state funding.

Council members who attended the press conference cited several concerns about the plan, saying they felt pressured to pass the agreement at the last minute, that the agreement had several errors and omitted words that made it unclear and that terms of the agreement were ambiguous.

For instance, Watson and council member Alberta Tinsley-Talabi cited concerns over what level of insurance coverage the society would obtain for the zoo and who would be the beneficiary of the policy. Watson also was concerned about a provision that would have made Detroit responsible for paying for security guards.

“We found numerous places where the city’s assets were not protected,” Watson said.

Council member Monica Conyers said the state should be willing to contribute to the zoo “without strings attached” such as the zoo agreement.

Council members Kwame Kenyatta, Kenneth Cockrel Jr. and Sheila Cockrel did not attend the press conference.

The council members who attended the press conference said they want to work with the state “as equals” to keep the zoo open.

“We want to protect the assets of the city of Detroit and not sign it over with a blank check, which is what we’re being asked to do,” said council member Barbara-Rose Collins.

The council members said they expect negotiations to reopen when Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, who supported the plan, returns this weekend from a trip to Africa with a congressional delegation.

http://www.michigannonprofit.c om/cgi-bin/article.pl?articleI d=4486

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 982
Posted From: 69.221.78.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the word "defends" should be in quotes.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2229
Posted From: 12.75.24.82
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Popping the final version of the plan on CC so close the state funding deadline was dumb. That's on the Mayor.

Based on what Zoo director Kagan said however, the CC was well aware of the plan as they had been briefed regularly, including a December meeting which included the newly elected council members.

Shirley Johnson, state Rep from RO, spearheaded the state legislation that offered the $4 million funding with a 60 day deadline. She's said she'll pursue another bill now to try to get a deal done.

Reading between the lines I think the Zoo got caught in yet another battle between the Mayor and CC.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call it medling but this affair proves one thing for sure, that the city of Detroit really needs to change the method of electing council members. There's no way the current crop would agree to it but the city should elect via districts. Then there would be greater accountabilty and a council that would truly represent the people rather than themselves.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3216
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm tired of city councils always feigning ignorance of a subject and "needing more time," when they've obviously been briefed and in rather regular dialogue with these issues. They are really trying to spite the mayor more than anything else. If things don't go exactly as they have planned it, they'll vote down anything, even if it hurts the city. It's these personal squabbles that give them a bad reputation.

I do agree with Angry Dad, too. Though it may not seem like it's directly connected to this subject, it really is.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 924
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The council is again simply trying to assert its independence from the mayor, period.

And it's nice to see that nothing's changed since the election of those new council members -- their primary concern is not bettering Detroit, but keeping CONTROL out of the hands of all those bad ol' white suburbanites.

(Message edited by Fury13 on February 21, 2006)

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2331
Posted From: 70.141.183.193
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...And getting themselves re-elected by appealing to the lowest common demnominator with race-baiting and city vs suburbs rhetoric.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2337
Posted From: 129.105.104.240
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Fury, LMichigan and others: why should Detroit have to pay for security guards?

That's one thing that caught my attention. Detroit shouldn't have to provide security for a zoo that is in the suburbs. Let the suburbs take care of the security. If they love it so much. Nothing is free in this world.

Yeah, the proposal was erroneous; it provided no equal benefits for everyone, including Detroit.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 69.212.63.169
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with most everything said Councils persistant militant stance is old and out dated. I wish we could get council by district. I thought I might have heard a petition circulating anyone know about it?

There's supposed to be a meeting with the council in new center area I'm going to try and make it. I hope we can boo them out of the building.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leave it to Ltorivia to chime in from school with yet another severely flawed argument.

In case you didn't know, the Detroit Zoo's location in the suburbs doesn't have anything to do with Detroit's OWNERSHIP OF THE ZOO nor contractual obligations for security that WERE SIGNED BY THE CITY.

Did you know that Detroit voters "loved it (the zoo) so much" that WE approved a $10M bond proposal for capital improvements?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 67.38.87.62
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, the zoo is an ASSET, owned by the City of Detroit. If the suburbs OWNED the zoo, this topic between "us/them" would not exist. The City of Detroit should be looking for ways for the region to HELP THEM save THEIR zoo, not alienate people who want to help!

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3483
Posted From: 69.220.69.206
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to the CC for holding down the fort and not backing up!! If exurbanites want to see the Zoo stay open, start writing some checks!! Big ones, at that!! Simple ..... and as CCMember Reeves stated, "Start attending the damn thing!!"

Black-atcha ..... stating, "If a whale was found floundering in the Straits, WE'd have the world's largest fish-fry!!" Go figure .... on saving some whales.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BRC already apologized for her "Slave/overseerer" comments. File another erroneous Rasputin claim.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3484
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw: Metro is again full-o-schitt! It had EVERYTHING to do with the City still footing the bill, while white folks ran the show!! Mayhaps that RACIST asshole should get some real information ..... instead of quoting the media.

Black-atcha ..... watching a REAL "boo-boo the fool"

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of full-o-schitt...

How's that "weapons training for Detroit youth (at 1000m with an M-1 rifle) in preparation for a race war" going?

or

"Congress awarded me the Purple Heart"

Boo-boo indeed!

Rasputin

Post Number: 3485
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LT: the bill would have been for more than just "security and insurance", as printed/stated in the media. and $4mil is just a "drop in the bucket"!! The City Planning Commission found $4mil in Block Grant dollars, alone, that could be used to run the Zoo next year. That "society" wanted that money too, on top of the State offering ..... Go figure, on contracts, etc.

Black-atcha ..... watching LBPatterson's "monkeys" tell him to kiss their "monkey" asses!!

Rasputin

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Learn to read, Metrowhatever ...... your ignorance ain't my bag!!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3217
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit really does need a city manager style of government essentially making the squabbles between the city council and the mayor inconsequential. In the current set-up, the two can effectively shut down city government at a whim whenever they get into petty arguments.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin, you "read" so well that you can't even tell a good lie about yourself.

...Congress doesn't award the Purple Heart :-)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess Detroit has the 12 million it will cost to totally close the zoo huh? Idiots! The people who run Detroit are all IDIOTS!

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2748
Posted From: 69.209.133.247
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can raise twice that by selling off the animals.

Or, we can sell hunting licenses. Do you know how much money people pay to fly all the way around the world to hunt?

Why does the media let Brooks pass the buck to the metroparks? Why isn't he being challenged to step Oakland County up to the plate?

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2338
Posted From: 199.74.87.131
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck, Oakland County (under the leadership of L Brooks Patterson) do not want to pay for ANYTHING that involves regional control, especially with the city of Detroit. That's Oakland County 101 for you.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not wondering about Brooks, I'm wondering about the media.

But then, I know the answer to the media question, just like I know about Brooks.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3218
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, you better believe that this is going to be dragged out. I haven't heard word from Oakland County, or Macomb County for that matter. And, it really is rather unfortunate that Kilpatrick is MIA at the moment. Now, he has the incompetent speaking for the city of Detroit, and getting all of the attention (negative). This is a time where some serious leadership on part of the Detroit mayor is needed.

This is far from over, though.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMichigan, do you think that the city council members should have been called "monkeys"?

I find that offensive and absurd. I applaud what they have done.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2338
Posted From: 68.248.5.174
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find the CC's comparisons of this matter to slavery offensive and absurd. I find the CC causing the city to lose even more money (while services and jobs continue to be cut) offensive and absurd. I condemn what they have done.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metrodetguy, some people sent hate emails and phone calls to the City council members when they heard about the final decision on the zoo. The city council striked back (never EVER insult black women's intelligence) in public that they were not gonna allow racists and ignorant folks to tell them who they are and what they should be doing. Some folks still think black people can't make decisions for themselves, hence the plantation comparison.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 69.242.214.54
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's not a plantation?
oh yeah it's a zoo!!!!!!
thanks barbara!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3221
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who said "monkeys?" I must have missed it, because that is not something I would let pass.

That said, I can see both sides of this. But, I'm finally leaning more to supporting the decision. And finally leaning more, on the city side of this, towards blamming the mayor for not making the council realize how important this is. There is still time to make this right. I don't think anyone should be that angry at the decision. The many reasons given should be the offensive part (i.e. not enough time after they'd been briefed repeatedly on this, the race card...)

I was originally under the impression that the recent vote was a make-or-break, and it turns out that it isn't. It is more a stall tactic than anything else, and I can't fault them much for that. My frustration with them is their feigning ignorance of the situation, but the mayor should really be working with the council, instead of against them. Kwame needs to come back to them with a better plan, and at the same time he needs to be making some serious phonecalls to regional leaders to work out a long-term plan. Turning the zoo over to DSZ is a bandaid, and like the city council, I too wonder if it's better to approve a bandaid, or hold out for some regional partnership that adequately respects the City of Detroit's role in the zoo?

There are so many fingers to point, here, in this regional breakdown I don't even know where to begin.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia, a piece of advice. In order to successfully advance through school and into the (working) world, you're going to have to learn to stick to the substance of a matter (any matter) and temper the emotional, knee jerk reactions and gratuitous insertion of race into every matter.

Also constantly making excuses for wrong is part of the problem in this community. That goes for our politicos at the top all the way down to people doing wrong on the street. There's always someone telling them (at the very least tacitly) that it's ok, not their fault, someone/something else made them do it or it's someone else's fault not their own.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How am I being wrong, Metro? Are you now accusing me of being emotional? WTF? Metro, I was taught to look at both sides of the picture. Personally, I would never agree to hand over the zoo to a private organization if I do not receive anything equal in return. You can blame the city council all you want, but I do have faith in their decision-making skills and what is best for the city. We can cry, howl, and scream about the zoo every minute. At the same time, I can't ignore the fact that many innocent children are killed on the streets daily, our police force is constantly shrinking every year, people cannot find jobs within the city of Detroit, and the list goes on. I think these issues are far more important than the zoo, but we choose to ignore them as "part of life" consequences. That needs to change.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4690
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

(never EVER insult black women's intelligence)

Why not? if a black woman says something stupid, I think it's perfectly reasonable to call her on it. just as it would be fair game for a white woman.

the plantation comment was stupid. period. thus, BRC should be reasonably criticized for it.

Esteban
Username: Esteban

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 70.236.209.229
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't help but smile. Sooooo many surburbanites upset just because their Zoo is being closed. I'da loved to hear this kind of massive suburb outcry when the Detroit's Belle Isle Zoo and Aquarium were shut down by by Kwame at the behest of the Zoological Society.

Mcdirt
Username: Mcdirt

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 65.29.98.237
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must have missed the "monkey" reference also. If anyone can tell me who said that and where it appeared, I'd be appreciative.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6836
Posted From: 205.158.100.72
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great point Esteban - Kagan is fine shutting down institutions in Detroit but will happily use Detroiters tax dollars to support a zoo in RO.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3222
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm...the Detroit Zoo is a MAJOR regional attraction. I'm sure Kagan knows where the money is, and it is not in the Belle Isle Zoo or Aquarium. I loved those two institutions, but you guys can't really be painting that particular closing as some city vs. suburb issue, can you?

They know where their bread is buttered.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't help but smile...

According to Survey USA/CH4: 81% of DETROIT RESIDENTS say it is VERY IMPORTANT to keep the Detroit Zoo open and 13% say SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT. Only 6% say not very important (5%) or not at all important (1%).

Add to that the fact that DETROIT RESIDENTS (Detroiters tax dollars) approved a $10M bond proposal for capital improvements for the Detroit Zoo.

As FN said, Detroit residency and being of African descent aren't a license to act like an idiot. And neither is it a license to act as if you for speak for the majority of residents/Black people just because a particular individual is a member of one or both groups.

Detroit Tax Dollars and Detroiters tax dollars ARE NOT the same thing, especially when claiming CITY RESIDENTS are bearing a particular burden while others aren't...

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2083
Posted From: 68.40.225.35
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god metro is attacking someone else now!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone attend that public meeting last night?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Monica Conyers on WJR this morning wants the federal government (i.e., US taxpayers) to help fund the zoo. She talks and opines like a Valley girl.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 947
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit wins hands-down on this whole discussion in my mind, and this whole dilemna is a perfect example of what ails our entire region.

My city not only can't afford a Zoo, it can't afford to run a museum of any type. It also can't put a $10 million dollar Renoir on display either. We have no aquarium. I live a 1/4 mile from the lake, and there's no Great Lakes Museum here either. Truth be told, we don't even have a functioning library.

You can spin it any way you want, but the truth of the matter is that Detroit suburbs do not supply culture to their citizens, and the main reason why is because we don't have to. We suck off the City of Detroit. It's time for the Suburbs to contribute their fair share for the services they use.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3735
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City CLOWNSIL may not hold the fort too long. Closing the Detroit Zoo will be the start of the political regional war between the suburbantopians and Detroiters. The City CLOWNSIL had clip the wrong wires and now the recievership bomb is about to explode!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lansing will extend the deadline for the zoo's $4 million funding. However, they also will remember how Detroit cannot handle the minor problems, such as the zoos, aquarium, etc.

So when the larger bankruptcy problems loom in the near future, the Legislature will be less hesitant to use the receivership hammer on both KK and the CC.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2085
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bongman - You could not have said it better!

Danny - I have to admit that your term "clownsil" is funny.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3489
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redux .... right on the money

quote:

Bongman

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 8:55 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Detroit wins hands-down on this whole discussion in my mind, and this whole dilemna is a perfect example of what ails our entire region.

My city not only can't afford a Zoo, it can't afford to run a museum of any type. It also can't put a $10 million dollar Renoir on display either. We have no aquarium. I live a 1/4 mile from the lake, and there's no Great Lakes Museum here either. Truth be told, we don't even have a functioning library.

You can spin it any way you want, but the truth of the matter is that Detroit suburbs do not supply culture to their citizens, and the main reason why is because we don't have to. We suck off the City of Detroit. It's time for the Suburbs to contribute their fair share for the services they use.

Black-atcha .....

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 388
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Bongman, I guess the Cranbrook museums, Meadowbrook Hall & Theater, the Henry Ford, The Holocust Memorial Center, the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House & Exhibits - these suburban entities are not cultural. They are, though, suburban.

Danny

Post Number: 3739
Posted From: 141.217.174.226
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin, you could do better with your remarks in the Detroit Zoo thread.

The only way to save the Detroit Zoo is for the city CLOWNSIL to sell it. Keep the closed up zoo and pay over 5 billion dollars a year to keep it just won't do. It's bring a step closer to recievership where you and mayor, and Detroiters have NO ABSOLUTE power of all city services. When it's offically closed on March 1st the suburbs will have to deal with a closed up weeded empty jungle eyesore for a long time. Where the DEAD (C)KRAK HEADS love to hide.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3493
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with your asinine opinion, Danny!! Simple!!

Black-atcha ..... giving Danny some attention

Bongman

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Bongman, I guess the Cranbrook museums, Meadowbrook Hall & Theater, the Henry Ford, The Holocust Memorial Center, the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House & Exhibits - these suburban entities are not cultural. They are, though, suburban.
------------------------------ --------------

...and none are financed the same way as The Detroit Zoo.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 389
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe that all are open to the public, though, and accept Detroit resident ticket holders. And, as they have in the past, the DIA and the Zoo received State funding for their programs.

My point is that you are incorrect when you say that the suburbs suck off Detroit investments in culture. Not true at all.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2750
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And people wonder why Michigan's economy is slumping behind the nation and why young people move out as soon as they can?

This thread has devolved into the perfect two post reason why.

Bongman says "You suck."

Southwestmap's only retort is "No, you suck."

Bongman

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said anyone sucked. I haven't lived in the city since I was I was 7 years old, yet I have been to the zoo, the historical museum, Dossin, & the DIA many many times, and I am not afraid to pay my fair share.

The Fords, the Hudsons, the Dodges, the Rackhams, and many others had the foresight to donate money and land so those facilities could exist for all of our benefit. We all have a responsibility to make sure those things continue for the benefit of those who will come after us. If you don't believe that, then there really isn't any reason for any of us to stay here, or be concerned about the possible loss.

**dreaming about the butterfly house**

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2753
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We suck off the City of Detroit."

Danny

Post Number: 3741
Posted From: 141.217.173.163
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin,

You have a VOICE, and the black intellectual mind, a mind to get my own ignorant White American race to shut the F*&^% up and listen. please SPEAK OUT! and write your own comments. The Ghettoman told all of street prophets to do that.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3305
Posted From: 68.73.32.197
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a proposal floating out there that will try to get part of the taxes that Detroit collects from the two stadiums downtown since mostly suburban residents patron the two teams.

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1866
Posted From: 71.227.58.187
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new classic:

"Are you now accusing me of being emotional? WTF?"

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public hearing today:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/7577514/detail.html

Anyone planning on attending?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.