Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » CC JoAnn Watson called for Detroiters to stage an economic boycott of the suburbs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit News

Meanwhile, Detroit City Councilwoman JoAnn Watson called for Detroiters to stage an economic boycott of the suburbs in response to what she calls blatant and institutional racism that has been exhibited amid the zoo fracas.

"Detroiters should spend money where they live," Watson said. "It is clear there are layers of disrespect, racism and white supremacy. It's not about getting along. Racism is a disease in this country. A lot of black folks walk around and deny it. This country got rich on the backs of black folks."

Username: 1953

Post Number: 696
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this is really going to hurt the city. Half of my coworkers won't be able to come into the city to work any more, being that they are suburbanites. There goes the little tax base that remained!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 883
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as a white detroiter, where am I suposed to spend my money??????????????????????

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1235
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again placing blame everywhere but where it should be. The city of Detroit and its CC are the ones who house is not in order, but lets blame the suburbs that takes the heat off us and uncontrolable spending.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 408
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets hope the people in the suburbs don't boycott Detroit, we need their money far more then they need ours.

Also, JoAnn Watson is a idiot.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who elects idiots?

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3495
Posted From: 69.220.69.206
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go again, white folk denying their history .... past and modern!! Typical "white supremacist" kneejerk spin - mentally trained like an animal - reactions of the guilty with real low self esteem. Go figure .....

Black-atcha .... we're ringing the bell for ya; I hear ya panting! roflmbao

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1237
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What guilt, is it the whites who are running the city in the ground. Only if you are paranoid. That is the CC overspending, cutting safety for their citizens so they can have the next fangled laptop, motorcycle, bodyguard, etc.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole situation is just a joke, right? I mean, these council members can't really be saying this stuff. Given all of the problems Detroit has, the fact that the zoo has become such a major issue is amazing enough. The fact that it has become a racial issue is just unbelievable.

That freep opinion page said it right. Asinine is the only word that can possibly apply to this situation.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 823
Posted From: 69.222.11.226

What a shame...I think that our CC is on the wrong track here. I truly am saddened by the statements said by the Councilwoman and hope that she knows that her words are going to be more hurtful than she ever could imagine.

It's definitely a sad day in the "D"

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expect a surprise visit from the Mother of all Shakedown con-artists - JJ, himself and a megaphone.

That German-owned Aldi at 8 & Gratiot will be packed, along with the salted snack and cookies aisles at the party stores and gas stations where Arabic is spoken.

Broken_main

Post Number: 824
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am seriously questioning the CC. I can not believ what they are saying. They just seem to be doing more things to run people away than ever. I guess they don't think that having a good repoire with our neighbors would ever be beneficial to the entire community. No one will ever want to come to Detroit with all of the divisive words that are being tossed out there.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 69.213.86.74
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 pages minimum.......And awaaaaaaaaay we go!!!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3260
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah the CC...captains of a sinking ship

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 155.139.40.51
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While there are lots of good reasons for Detroiters to spend their money within the city, calling a suburban boycott based on charges of racism is silly. JoAnn Watson needs to remember that it was fellow council member Barbara Rose-Collins who pulled the race card in the zoo fracas. Why don't Detroiters boycott Barbara Rose-Collins?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2094
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joann Watson is not an idiot. She is a very intelligent woman and she makes good points. As a white man I see around me suburban racism. Many people in the suburbs do not come to Detroit because it is full of black people -and that is the only reason. My ex's family would not come anywhere near 8 Mile because of that reason - and they are not the only ones. White or black residents who live in the city we all know that when we say we live in Detroit people typically say "Oh is it safe?". Look at LB Patterson's comments? He barely makes the paper but Watson and Collins utter a boo and the press is all over them. The press wants to make us look stupid! AND I mean all Detroiters black/white etc....but esp. black as the majority of the city government is run by African Americans.

Kimmiann

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 155.139.40.51
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there an award at the end of the year for the Detroit City Council member who makes the most outrageous statement?

Broken_main

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ild...somewhere along the lines though, the council memebers have got to be careful of what they say and how they say it. The Metro Detroit area is one of the most racially sensitive areas in the nation. Even the Bible says that the tongue can be sharper than a 2 edge sword. Words hurt..especially in this city.

The same goes for the suburban leaders. if we continue to spit venom at eac h other we will never progress in this region.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1455
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD, are you on CC payroll? I'm just curious.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what, this is why we need districts rather than a 9-member council. I don't care if I represent the majority of Detroiters, but I am deeply offended when we raise the race flames. I am itchin for recall campaign.

I see JoAnn Watson didn't say such when suburbanites rode the bus into the city during Superbowl XL.

This is getting idiotic. I'm tired of politicians who don't have class.

Kimmiann

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 155.139.50.15
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen on the districts! Make City Council members accountable to the neighborhoods which elect them. Make a residency requirement, too!

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1831
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Wolf'.

Eventually, we are all going to stop listening. Evidence points to that day being close at hand.

Screaming raceism to try to blur the unmistakeable oder of imcompetence. Nothing new.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 502
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this next vote on the zoo will show just how different this council is from the last one. I can understand why so many council members voted against the proposal the first time because it came so late. That vote seems like a protest vote against the Mayor's office more than anything else. Voting against it then was more about demanding respect. However, this time there are no excuses for the council members. They've had the agreement. They understand it and have had a fair chance to have their say about the agreement. This vote will show who are the pragmatists and who are the obstructionists. If it passes with a comfortable margin, I'll feel better about the council overall. I have a feeling that despite all of the race baiting over the last couple of days by a couple of outspoken councilmembers, there is a silent, pragmatic majority on council that is willing to be reasonable and work toward making a better city, a better region and just a better home for everyone. The race baiters can say whatever they want and it won't matter one bit if they're in the council minority. I still believe the state, the suburbs, the mayor and even the council for the most part are still largely on the same page. Enough so to move the region in the right direction. In the longrun, a one week delay filled with handwringing and race baiting won't matter. It's cost of business. However, this thoery is completely null and void if council doesn't pass the new agreement. This being Detroit, I still think there is a good possibility of that happening, but I'm not betting on it this time.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 578
Posted From: 69.221.250.206
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She should not have said what she said, but for those of you who think that the suburbanites are not racist (not all of course) your kidding yourselfs.

Just out of curosity... how much does a person on the CC make? And what education level do they have?

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 441
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is racism easier when it's deep-rooted or when it's out in the open?

Ah, a trick question. I don't know if you all have noticed, but it's been Detroit vs. the suburbs for as long as I can remember, and even further back from that. Why, the huge backlash that this story's garnished shows just that. This post for example has garnished more replies in 2 hours than anything else I've seen in some time.

The fact is that SE Michigan in a whole is a racist region with deep-seated hatred towards each other that will probably continue well into the 2100's.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 209.114.251.65
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Voting down the proposal to make a point about respect (I agree with you that this is what happened) doesn't seem like the most responsible thing to do. There was, afterall, 4 million bucks on the table that went away (hopefully not for good). That seems like a dangerous game to play with stakes as high as they are. Not to mention the intangible cost of having everyone (except for a few apologists on this board) in the State think.."same old City Council."

There are other issues here, it sounds like CC will try to maintain some control over subcontracts. This is antithetical to the idea that they are giving up contral in exchange for being relieved of the financial responsibility. It smacks of friends and family plan to me. The Zoological society already had given into some City demands: 1) 50% Detroit employees; 2) 50% of contracts with MBEs, WBEs or DBEs; 3) CC member voting member of board; and 4) Free programs for Children in Detroit.

With the exception of #4, these aren't the types of things that are going to get big donors real excited. I'm waiting for the union issue to rear its ugly head. That was a big hold-up when the DIA management was transferred.

I have to question anyone who defends Watsons comments. They are divisive and very off putting to a lot of people.

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 64.118.136.130
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are racists within all ethnicities. The are non-racists within all ethnicities. The ratio between the two changes over time. The intensity of distrust(dislike) of racists also changes over time. This occurs for a variety of reasons. People age and die new people with new views are born. Unless you beleive racism is primarily genetic than how is racism perpetuated?

I would ponder that comments by those involved in the Zoo debate that have used racism as an argument are actually helping to perpetuate racism.

To use racism as a political tool generally increases the number and intensity of racists. (fanning the flames)

Patrick

Post Number: 3262
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously doubt there will be any kind of negative economic effect from a boycott. Does the population of Detroit have much buying power? Doubt it. Nice try though.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1535
Posted From: 70.236.201.1
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Joann Watson is not an idiot. She is a very intelligent woman and she makes good points. As a white man I see around me suburban racism.

Ms. Watson has done some smart things in the past. However, her call for a boycott is, in my opinion, the very epitome of idiocy.

First, not everyone in the suburbs are racists; in fact, not even the majority of them are. I know to well that there are racists out there, and I'm embarrassed that some of them are family members, but it's asinine to boycott the businesses of a roughly 3 million people because of the racism of a small subset of them.

Second, throwing around wanton and unfounded allegations like this, at a time when we need to work for regional cooperation, is extremely counterproductive.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5563
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Detroit boycotted Dearborn over the park access issue, Fairlane Mall was EMPTY. It was the retailers who got the City to drop the policy of requiring proof of citizenship before you could enter a city park.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 884
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

boycott DCX and ford products! that'll help the city!!

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1536
Posted From: 70.236.201.1
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apples and oranges, Jeff.

Just because some folks want a free ride when it comes to the Zoo, doesn't make them a racist. Throwing around accussations like Ms. Watson has done serves no one.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 424
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And while we boycott the suburbs, we might as well build a huge inpenetrable wall around the city so that no suburban racists can come in and take advantage of our amenities. That will show them.

Spartacus

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell does any of this have to do with getting a free ride for the zoo? The whole idea is to transfer management to relieve the city of the obligation to pay for it. BTW, the State has given the zoo a lot of money over the years, as have the residents of Oakland County. I believe the city subsidy amounts to 1/4 of the zoo's budget.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5564
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek, I was only refuting Patrick's assertion that Detroit doesn't have the economic clout to pull off a successful boycott. In fact, it does and has done so. (Granted that the boycott was directed toward one city, not the entire region.)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Spitty:
... we might as well build a huge inpenetrable wall around the city ...

Then we can all play Monty Python and the Holy Grail and shout "Your mother was a hamster, and your Father smelt of elderberries. Now go away, before I taunt you again!" from the parapets.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 390
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff; when you state that it was the economic boycott of Dearborn stores that caused the City of Dearborn to back down from its residents only park policy, you are inaccurate.

The NAACP called for a boycott of the stores. The NAACP also went to court. After the residents-only policy was found by Judge Marvin Stempien to be illegal and was rescinded by the City, the NAACP called off the boycott. I believe that the boycott had very mixed results and was felt to create only minimal economic damage. And, if you were there you would have had to muse at how many Black people continued to shop at Fairlane despite the boycott.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5566
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honored the boycott, so I didn't see for myself, but from news reports Fairlane was devoid of customers during the boycott.

Detroitkev
Username: Detroitkev

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 66.178.218.40
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An economic boycott would only hurt Detroiters...we simply don't have the goods & services that the suburbs have.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5567
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would have to be directed. We couldn't boycott the entire region. But an economic boycot directed specifically towards, say, Northland, Eastland and Fairlane would have an impact.

Unfortunately a lot of Detroiters are employed at Northland, Eastland and Fairlane, so we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot...

Mike

Post Number: 579
Posted From: 24.176.58.18
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

education level of a typical cc member? not just detroit, anywhere? Do you need a college degree? Do they make six figures?

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2355
Posted From: 199.74.87.131
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the typical city council member makes around $75,000.

Mike

Post Number: 580
Posted From: 24.176.58.18
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a good paying job. I wonder if I should run for the CC... any educational background that I need.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4699
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the equivalent of boycotting all of humanity because you think left handed people are oppressive.

Makes zero sense. Typical divisive City Council bullshit.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 698
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smart people do dumb things, but Ms. Watson is, in fact, an idiot.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse me for being political, but JoAnn Watson has been calling for a boycott of anything non-African American and non-within Detroit city limits for years now. Her morning radio show made her views very clear (and admittedly entertaining) for years (to those within signal strength range)prior to her term on the council.
This is certainly nothing new!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2751
Posted From: 70.236.161.204
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff,
We love you.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1218
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points 1953 and Wirt.

A boycott is strong wording, but I certainly like the buy-Detroit approach. Definitly not for the reasons Joann outlined, though. You can only take this so far, though, because of the fact that so many Detroiters work in the suburbs. The more I think of it, the more I think Joann is retarded. Especially since we are just getting to the point where a critical mass of suburbanities do things in the city...do we really want to give them ammunition to say, "oh, well I won't make a habit of visiting downtown anymore."

Here's a boycott for ya: I haven't laid foot in Oakland county since a get-together last fall--mid September, I think. I've passed through twice on I-75, once on my way up north, and once on the way back. Haha I haven't been trying to avoid the OC, I just noticed how well I have indeed avoided it without even thinking...wow. I'm doing my part, Joann!

Patrick

Post Number: 3263
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff what about when they tried to boycott Warren. Nothing happened at all.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5569
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I don't recall that. When was that? And for that matter, what is there to boycott in Warren? There's no major retail there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1828
Posted From: 4.229.150.10
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it when Ras mentions that white folks have forgotten the past.... why just recently he mentioned on this forum that JoAnn Watson was a "towel headed Aunt Jemima who literally stinks".

I guess when you get that old and hateful, you forget what you've said, and start contradicting yourself....

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, JoAnn Watson; brilliant, brilliant political mind, hers. Recall she was once, as a city council member, found out to have paid a consultant (with city money) to brief her on the "spiritual life of Detroiters."

To all these shit-for-brains city council members barking about the zoo being taken over from them, how much are you gonna like it when the state takes the city into financial receivership?

Username: 3420

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 143.132.200.19
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree and disagree with some things that I have been reading about the zoo situation over the past couple of days. Ms. Watson may be intelligent sometimes, but a boycott is not the answer. When I am back at home in Detroit, I watch the city council on channel 10 everyday and find it entertaining, but yet informational.

To me, she does make it a African-American issue about 75% of the time and wears her afro-centric clothing and jewelry to prove it. I remember when there were some type of contracts and the issue with the land bank, and she just talked to the people any kind of way just like Ms, Collins and former councilman Alonzo Bates does. At times, some council members are very disrespectful to many people who come in front of them, and they abuse there powers.

When I shop, I do go up Gratiot out to the Kroger in the suburbs and find the people very friendly. Being that I am a black man who shop out there every now and then, not all suburbanites are racist. I remember when I was in Kroger and this woman(white) was in front of me and was in my way and apologized for hitting my basket and I said excuse me as well and we both smiled and went on our way. Another one was when the older woman(white) had this look like "why is he shopping here" and then I found out she was trying to help me with choosing the right Cheerios and helped me to buy whole grain wheat and not the knock off wheat. So all suburbanites are not racist. Some love Detroit and want to help us with our rebuilding. But then you have the ones who push there purse over when you(I) walk past them or walk behind you thinking just because you are out there, you are about to mug them or steal something. I have experienced both the good and bad, but the good out weighs the bad because we all need to work together to help one another prosper.

The issue on the zoo should be that everyone should help out with the upkeep of the zoo. I love that zoo and would be hurt if it closes. Since I never been to Disney Land, I consider the zoo the next bext thing for me and my future family to experience.

Patrick

Post Number: 3266
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff, there is plenty of retail there. There are grocery stores, Wal Mart, Meijers and more. There is lots of major retail in Warren, frequented by many Detroiters. It all started when Steenbergh got out of his car and allegedly hit some young African American man, or had an altercation with him. Everyone was calling for the boycott of Warren stores and retail….it didn’t do damn thing.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 191
Posted From: 71.4.97.70
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was an excellent point about who elects an idiot. While I think CC does belong in a zoo, the people of this city need to start taking responsibility of what they put in office.

Its one thing to be aware of racism (and I still encounter it all the time). It is another thing to be owned by the feelings of anger it generates. These folks are clearly slaves to emotion, and that is what runs this city, emotion. People don't bother electing competent people. All the canidate need do is identify with and validate the same sentiment the people feel. If you think it is exclusive to blacks in Detroit, your wrong. Witness the Southern Strategy by Republicans.

I just ask folk to look at where this has taken Detroit thus far, and where they expect it to take Detroit in the future.

Spartacus

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In response to the CC salary question above, I think they make in the 80,000 range. I'm sure they have a sweet pension deal as well.

The real joke is that the budget for the council is over 12 million dollars. Think about that, they employ 104 people (and have access to an army of lawyers) yet couldn't get a handle on a 20 something page docuemnt in two days.

Not including the neighborhood city halls, the mayors office employs 48 and spends 4.8 million.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/bu dget/2005-06_Redbook/AgencySec tions/Agencies05-06.htm

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romanized,

I agree cc members are slaves to their emotion, but I think this entire circus has illustrated a more pervasive motivation on the part of many black detroiters: victimization. It's as endemic as racism itself around here.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before he went to find Bwana Don did Kwame wire all the councils chairs with some sort of electrical device that shocked all these people into a stupor?

With Sharon McFailure off the council things were supposed to get better. She set a standard that is being rewriten every day now.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5571
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I remember the incident where Steenberg assaulted the teenager. (It wasn't "alleged." He admitted to it and very well may have campaigned on it.) I don't recall a campaign to boycott as a result.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 192
Posted From: 71.4.97.70
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock,

If you don't want hear about victimization, don't vitimize, nor defend those that do. I have been a victim of racism, and it has caused me much anger and outrage. I didn't solicit this, but it came to me.

Still, I have to take responsibity for what I actually control. The city government controls enough to be held accountable for many of the city's problems. The zoo is but one example.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8136
Posted From: 70.48.209.58
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea! Now the 'burbs will lose about $1.25 a week. What a fool. How about bridging the fucking gap between the city and burbs instead of putting up more fences?

ILD, how about trying to make a difference to chagne those perceptions instead of feeding the flames? She is a fool for saying such things.

(Message edited by GOAT on February 23, 2006)

Patrick

Post Number: 3267
Posted From: 70.236.166.52
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff, it was funny as hell...all these hicks standing up for him on one side, and of course he did it. But hearing him, at first, deny it.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2357
Posted From: 199.74.87.131
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spartacus, why don't you read a 20-page proposal and try to make a decision within 48 hours? I am sick of the fact you keep thinking that you know everything about city government from the top floor to the bottom floor. No sane professor or administrator will grade and critique a student's 15-page-plus paper in less than 48 hours. Why should City Council be the exception?

And for the last time, the City Council never stated that they wanted to close the zoo.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1038
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will someone please give Goat "The Attention Whore" some attention so he can just go away? OK, I have...now go away! Please.

There are so many sides to this argument. Ltorivia485 has presented the best arguments on this particular thread IMHO. It would be nice if someone really answered her question: who are the real racists? After all, just read the smug comments made by some of the forumers that have identified themselves as suburbanites. It wreaks of White supremacist thinking along the lines of "we can hurt them more than they can hurt us." Why the smug line of thinking? Because the suburbanites raped and pilferaged the economic resources from Detroit and to this day are reaping the benefits of such ill-conceived social/economic policy (i.e. racist policy). Black people must realize that there are a good number of White people that still withhold economic benefits from us because they realize the power behind an economically savvy group. While many don't appreciate the teachings of Farrakhan, I can certainly respect his ability to bring forth social and economic unity amongst the members in the Nation of Islam. NOI members can go into the most crime-infested areas (unarmed) and create a socially and economically thriving neighborhood. I understand where Ms. Watson is headed in her argument. However, until the guns are put down, the drugs are shunned, the pants are pulled up to the waist, and the thug culture in Detroit is not imitated, a boycott will not be effective. Boycotts worked during the Civil Rights era because all Blacks were united for the cause and we were not a splintered group as we are today. Our distrust and disharmony gives the suburbanites the ability to openly express themselves with smug, racist comments. Their arrogance is in knowing that for the most part, Detroiters hands are tied when it comes to taking a stand against blatant racism.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

picture

"Why is it when Black people have an agenda, White folks get mad and act like we can make our own decisions?"

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Zulu, great analogy...I love it! Hedrick's poor sportsmanship (i. e. entitlement mentality, supremacist mentality, racist mentality) is indicative of what has been going on in America for a long, long time. Whenever Blacks (such as Mr. Shani Davis) assert themselves and look out for our own best interest (focusing on the race that brought him an eventual gold medal), we are seen as not being a teamplayer (Hedrick's refusal to even acknowledge Mr. Shani Davis' Olympic triumph). Mr. Shani Davis is the true Olympic champion. He owes that pompous ass Hendrick nothing!

(Message edited by Shave on February 23, 2006)

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2539
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another one of my favorites, Shave....

------------------------------ ------------------
Powell Breaks With White House on Affirmative Action Case
Monday, January 20, 2003

WASHINGTON — Secretary of State Colin Powell said Sunday he disagrees with President Bush's position on an affirmative action case before the Supreme Court, as the White House called for more money for historically black colleges.

Powell, one of two black members of Bush's Cabinet, said he supports methods the University of Michigan uses to bolster minority enrollments in its undergraduate and law school programs. The policies offer points to minority applicants and set goals for minority admissions.

"Whereas I have expressed my support for the policies used by the University of Michigan, the president, in looking at it, came to the conclusion that it was constitutionally flawed based on the legal advice he received," Powell said on the CBS program "Face the Nation."

It was a rare public acknowledgment of dissent with the president and with other top White House aides.

National security adviser Condoleezza Rice said she backed Bush's decision to step into the case before the Supreme Court and to argue that the University of Michigan's methods were unconstitutional. She said on NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday that there are "problems" with the university's selection policies, and cited the points system.

But she also said race can be a factor in colleges' selection process. The brief the Bush administration filed with the Supreme Court was silent on the issue of whether race can be a factor under some circumstances.

"It is important to take race into consideration if you must, if race-neutral means do not work," she said.

Rice said she had benefited from affirmative action during her career at Stanford University.

"I think they saw a person that they thought had potential, and yes, I think they were looking to diversify the faculty," she said.

"I think there's nothing wrong with that in the United States," Rice said. "It does not mean that one has to go to people of lower quality. Race is a factor in our society."

In a speech to the Republican National Convention in 2000, Powell sharply criticized GOP attacks on affirmative action.

"We must understand the cynicism that exists in the black community," he said. "The kind of cynicism that is created when, for example, some in our party miss no opportunity to roundly and loudly condemn affirmative action that helped a few thousand black kids get an education, but you hardly heard a whimper from them over affirmative action for lobbyists who load our federal tax codes with preferences for special interests."

Sunday on CNN, Powell said he remained "a strong proponent of affirmative action."

Education Secretary Rod Paige is the other black member of Bush's Cabinet.

Paige firmly agrees with Bush's stance, a spokesman said Sunday.

"Secretary Paige believes in equal opportunity for all students and he fully supports President Bush's position on the University of Michigan case," said spokesman Dan Langan. He wasn't sure whether Paige agreed with Rice that race can sometimes be a factor in university admissions.

In an unusual Sunday night announcement, the White House said Bush's budget proposal for the upcoming fiscal year would increase funding by 5 percent for grants to historically black colleges, universities, graduate programs and Hispanic education institutions.

The money affects three programs.

The Historically Black Colleges and Universities program makes grants to 99 eligible institutions to help strengthen infrastructure and achieve greater financial stability.

The Historically Black Graduate Institutions program makes 5-year grants to 18 institutions to expand capacity for providing graduate-level education.

The Hispanic-Serving Institutions program makes grants of up to five years to eligible institutions — those with a full-time population of at least 25 percent Hispanic students, at least 50 percent of which are low-income.

In its brief to the Supreme Court, the administration argued that policies at the University of Michigan and its law school fail the constitutional test of equal protection for all under the law, and ignore race-neutral alternatives that could boost minority presence on campuses.

A White House spokesman declined to say Sunday night why the black and Hispanic grant programs are acceptable, when the University of Michigan admission system is not.

Bush drew 9 percent of the black vote in 2000.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0 ,2933,75999,00.html

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3743
Posted From: 141.217.173.163
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now the poltical and social economical war has begun!

O Watson,

Do you think that you can get Detroiters to boycott the suburbantopians for the harted towards you and "CLOWNSIL"? The main reason that the suburbantopians want the Detroit Zoo to stay open for its our ONLY regional Zoo in the intire State of Michigan. And its a treasure to all people. You may have the PLANT but they have the POWER!

(Message edited by danny on February 24, 2006)

Spartacus

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay they didn't say "we want to close the zoo". You're right. But they did turn their collective back on 4 million in state aid. This money is NEEDED to keep the zoo open. Acting in this reckless manner would leave one with the reasonable conclusion that keeping the zoo open is not a top priority.

CC wants to make sure they have some say over where the money goes in the future-- because they're so good at managing money?? I don't think so...

Two CC members were able to digest a 20 something page document (that I was able to read in 15 minutes btw), how is that possible?

Putting all of these restrictions on the management of the zoo is not reasonable if you're not contributing towards running it IMHO. This is going to cause problems for the zoo when they try to raise funds. Do I want to donate money to an organization if CC is in the background pulling the strings?

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3501
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, do you; Spartacus??? Answer the question, fool!! You posed it trying to be "cutesy".

Mayhaps you should consider this ..... keep your momma's piddly milk money that she gave you for lunch, it's not wanted!!

Black-atcha .....

Black-atcha .....

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with all this hate you spew at people who dont live in Detroit proper, why in the world would we want to come there and support the city? Thanks guys, you have really opened my eyes to what you think of people who dont live in the city, you are racist towards us, its apparent in your posts......see ya Detroit, I dont need you and you dont need me.

Spartacus

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo:

It's not fair for people to use broad strokes to judge white people from the suburbs based on a few racist emails sent by a handful of people. By the same token, you shouldn't let a few fools on the internet change your thinking about the City, especially when one of those posters is clearly mentally ill.

Esteban
Username: Esteban

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 70.227.69.62
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect the Zoo contract is an ambush. It is detrimental to Detroit tax payers.
Why else would it have been left to the last moment? Because Zoo director Ron Kagan does not want council to read the small print.
For instance, who gets landed with the million dollar a year tab for the imprisoned Belle Isle deer?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1422
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo, I live in the city, and would hope that you wouldn't base your assessment of either myself or the city on the monk man. Talk about not fair...

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Esteban: Learn how to read (or write).

It will cost $1 million to essentially pen the deer. That's a ONE-TIME expense - not $1 million per year, as you think and wrote.

How much does it cost to feed a couple dozen fuzzy animals per year? [I gotta get in on that food program.]

Sheesh! Fortunately for me I attended a parochial school.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1189
Posted From: 66.238.170.50
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the boycott stuff:

I live in Detroit and in my neighborhood the hardware store is owned by a white man who lives just a few blocks from the store. The grocery store (yes, there are well-run, clean, independently owned, full-service grocery stores in Detroit) is owned by a black man who lives in the suburbs.

Councilwoman Watson, what am I to do? Boycott the hardware store for being Detroit owned but white owned, or boycott the grocery store for being suburban owned yet black owned. Please advise.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How dare you question Watson in that way! You're fired!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8141
Posted From: 64.228.193.62
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shave, did my posdt bother you? Was I unrealistic? Guess not...so here's the response from the attention whore...GO FUCK YOURSELF!

Feel better?

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 68.255.162.69
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BVOS-
I can't tell you how many times people accused me of taking my money to the suburbs when they found out I owned a store downtown. I would always reply with " I happen to live in the Cass Corridor, I bank at a black owned bank, I shop in the city when I can. I ride the city bus and love it"......but you should see the face of the guy at the Fisher theater when I tell him we walked to the show.

I have argued for a while that there are 5 real groups of people in the city, Blacks, Whites, Arabs, Mexicans & DETROITERS. If you are a Detroiter it does not matter which other group you may belong to you understand "the game" which we live and breathe here in the city.

This is a great city and when people who have not been a part of the city for a generation or two to criticize what happens here, It causes me to be more stedfast in my resolve not to spend my money outside of the city.

I am always amazed how people are willing to get involved ONE week a year, around Devil's Night (hey I grew up in southfield in the 80's, we would foam or egg your house, not burn it down, but we all know that landlords used those nights to rid themselves of their property and get paid) and crime drops when they do. If you are not willing watch/clean your own block the rest of the year, things will never change.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 484
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman - PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!

later - naturalsister

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 533
Posted From: 68.40.225.48
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1192
Posted From: 70.225.112.124
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman,

I'm not sure what your post meant in relation to my post. I do really live in Detroit and these businesses really do exist. It's Rosedale Park and the businesses I'm refering to are Rosedale Hardware and Metro Foodland.

Joanne Watson's main basis for a suburban boycott is race. So should we also boycott white owned businesses within the city even though the business is owned by a Detroiter? The problem Watson has is with race so she should also call a boycott on white owned businesses in Detroit owned by Detroit residents.

Conversely if we are boycotting suburban businesses, should we also boycott businesses located in the city that are owned by suburbanites? Joanne Watson's blanket race statement doesn't work because Detroit's only black owned grocery store is owned by a black man who lives in the suburbs. Should we boycott Metro Foodland because it's owned by a suburbanite, or is it OK to patronize this business because a black man owns it?

Would Watson boycott suburban businesses owned by black people? I'd be surprised if she did.

Just as blanket racist statements by white suburbanites are wrong and easily disproven, so are Joanne Watson's broad brush strokes on race and business ownership. Both are wrong, both make no sense and both people should be chastised.

A suburban business boycott has nothing do do with the zoo issue. Watson should have simply started a Shop Detroit initiative if she wanted more people to shop in Detroit, not throw the flaming race dart. Detroit can use suburbanites and its own residents shopping within the city, regardless of their race.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this is pretty much why we are where we are!

Keep it up until there is nothing left.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boil it all down and the one thing that this entire fiasco proves is that the city of Detroit MUST employe districts when electing the city council.

Boycotts and name calling are a sure way to get your personal agenda in the face of a fractured electorate.

BTW, does anybody really know exactly where the members of council live? I don't want addresses but is the city equally represented or are these members the complete joke they are making of themselves?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2032
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know the link off the top of my head, but one of the local papers did a piece a while back which stated that the majority of council lives within a very clustered area with respect to one another.

My personal fav from reading about the race-baiting antics of Ms. Watson & Ms. Rose-Collins during the past week was this little gem:

quote:

"Racism is a disease in this country."

Apparently, Ms. Watson doesn't see herself as a Typhoid Mary here?

Sad.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 69.212.63.169
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To make a general statement on boycotting all the suburbs is like peeing in the wind who are you trying to make a point to? Are all the Blacks and others who agree there's rasism that have left the city and live in the suburbs going to come to the city and shop?

We need to realize all these are are words. No one was beaten or assalted or told they couldn't live in there community. Take the high road and pick your fights when it counts. I already make a concisious effort to shop Detroit but to keep this crap up that you called me a name so were all going to rise up and boycott the rest of the state is stupid.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 24.158.164.229
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this doing some web surfing and, as a white man, it made me laugh. So, in an attempt to ease the racial tensions on this board, I thought I'd post it.

11 TRUTHS BLACK AND HISPANIC PEOPLE KNOW, BUT WHITE PEOPLE WON'T ADMIT:
1. Elvis is dead.
2. Jesus was not White.
3. Rap music is here to stay
4. Kissing your pet is not cute or clean.
5. Skinny does not equal sexy.
6. Thomas Jefferson had black children.
7. A 5 year-old child is too big for a stroller.
8. N' SYNC will never hold a candle to the Jackson 5
9. An occasional BUTT whooping helps a child stay in line.
10. Having your children curse you out in public is not normal.
11. You still getin' y'all's ass whipped for sayin' the "N" word.

10 TRUTHS WHITE AND BLACK PEOPLE KNOW, BUT HISPANIC PEOPLE WON'T ADMIT:
1. Hickies are not attractive.
2. Chicken is a food, not a roommate.
3. Jesus is not an appropriate name for your son.
4. Your country's flag is not a car decoration.
5. Maria is a name, but not for 3 of your 5 daughters.
6. "Jump out and run" is not in any insurance policy.
7. 10 people to a car is considered too many.
8. Buttoning just the top button of your shirt is a bad fashion statement.
9. Mami and Papi can't possibly be the nickname of every person in your family
10.Letting your children run wildly through a store is not normal.
11. "Homes" isn't a nickname, it is a place.

10 TRUTHS WHITE AND HISPANIC PEOPLE KNOW, BUT BLACK PEOPLE WON'T ADMIT:
1. O. J. did it.
2. Tupac is dead.
3. Teeth should not be decorated.
4. Weddings should start on time.
5. Your pastor doesn't know everything.
6. Jesse Jackson will never be President.
7. RED is not a kool-aid flavor, it's a color.
8. Church does not require expensive clothes.
9. Crown Royal bags are meant to be thrown away.
10.Your rims and sound system should not be worth more than your car

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 634
Posted From: 69.209.173.53
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idea of Detroiters spending money in Detroit sounds like a good one. Other than a weekly visit to the city, I try to spend 100% of my money in my own community's downtown. But stylizing it as a boycott seems counterproductive.

I think people are upset about the zoo because the "perception" right or wrong is that the city would rather close the zoo out of spite even if the donors and the suburbs are willing to pay all the expenses.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 68.253.100.163
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OJ did it?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 366
Posted From: 141.151.163.46
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OJ did it with JoAnn Watson

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

picture
Lord Palmerston

The Palmerston Zoo
http://www.schillerinstitute.org/conf-iclc/1990s/conf_feb_1994_brewda.html

picture
L. Brooks Patterson

The Patterson Zoo
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060222/NEWS01/602220427/1003/NEWS

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 141.151.163.46
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with Patterson's plan is that we would have to feed the council members that are in the Zoo.

If you look at the size of some of them...it could break the budget again.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3752
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Mayor of New Detroit L.B. Patterson becomming like Orville Hubbard? So far does have the comments of Adolf Hitler.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 370
Posted From: 69.221.79.80
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LBP has a long way to go before he reached the racial rhetoric spewed by the slime balls that are inhabiting city hall today.

Perhaps you could help him with politically-correct verbiage Danny?

English
Username: English

Post Number: 495
Posted From: 69.218.79.97
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*eating popcorn and reading the thread*

I see not much has changed. I esp. like Zulu's comments about entitlement which begs the question of who in this region/state/country REALLY feels entitled.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.