Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Eastland memories « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3269
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid, I used to frequent Eastland Mall quite a bit. It was so cavernous and mighty to a 5 year old. I went back not long ago, and was somewhat saddened. It isn’t the same mall. It appeared as if it had been renovated not long ago, but just seemed somewhat rundown, or at least, badly managed.

I remember the Hudsons was so nice and spotless. Now, it has gone so downhill. I still have so many great memories of that place though. Anyone still shop there? Share your thoughts.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 742
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still the nicest Marshall Fields in the area. Never trashed, stock is always put back where it belongs, the shoe department is typically spotless...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been renovated quite a bit during the past three years. But as in all real estate: Location, location, location...

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 789
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...I like the old displays up in the furniture department.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1408
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I you ever need athletic shoes or any jerseys or sweatshirts, eastland is the spot.

40% on the non-anchors have to be in one of those 2 categories.

It is quite amazing.

quote:

the shoe department is typically spotless...

Is that where you get those heels?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 743
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is that where you get those heels?

Some of them...

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5575
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where else do you buy shoes?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 197
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As a kid, I used to frequent Eastland Mall quite a bit. It was so cavernous and mighty to a 5 year old. I went back not long ago, and was somewhat saddened. It isn’t the same mall.., but just seemed somewhat rundown, or at least, badly managed.

I remember the Hudsons was so nice and spotless. Now, it has gone so downhill. I still have so many great memories of that place though...

Patrick, that's what happens as we get older. Nothing can ever be as good as we remember it being when we were children walking while holding onto our parent's hand. Rest assured, all the 5 year olds who you see at Easland now will be expressing similar feelings when they reach your current age. Just like everyone in my generation feels about shopping at the downtown Hudson's. Life is ongoing and it can be wonderful.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 850
Posted From: 146.9.52.21
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nordstroms has the best shoe department for both men and women! :-)

I grew up very close to Eastland. In fact, I could see the "JL Hudson Co" sign on top of the building from my bedroom window. When I was a kid, our teacher asked who we wanted to be when we grew up and I answered "JL Hudson!"

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1465
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shopper even back in the day, huh Crew?

I remember Eastland from when I was a little kid. As a matter of fact, didn't it start out as an open-air mall? I have vague memories of it being open-air, but it might just be an acid flashback.

I remember the concrete lion with the brass mouse on his belly, and the hippo too, and always wanting to climb on them.

I used to get my hair cut at the barber shop in the arcade downstairs, by Vince. It was cool to sit in the chair shaped like a horse, and to read all the classic horror movie magazines while I was waiting for my turn.

I remember going to the restaurant on the top floor of Hudson's there for birthdays, and being scared shitless about putting my hand in the hole under the pirate's head to get the key to open the treasure chest for my birthday prize. But the Mickey Mouse ice cream sundaes were very exciting.

I remember the "Rainbow Room" or whatever it was called in the basement of Hudsons. It was all the cut-rate stuff and always felt kind of low-rent, even to a five year old. I think I got some granimals there. Ahhh, the 70's.

I remember when the Gap there ("Fall into the Gap") sold Levi cords, in fashion colors. And neon acrylic sweaters. Ahhh, the 80's.

A gradeschool/highschool friend's dad owned The Tinder Box there for years and it was such a freakout to drive down beneath eastland to the loading docks for the store.

I remember when it was just the Eastland 1 & 2 theaters, across from Beacon East. And I remember when the food court and the additional theaters were added in the 80's. It was never quite the same after that.

As a matter of fact, sometime in the late 80's/early 90's it seemed to take a dive. It was a huge hangout for high school kids, and they underwent the first giant makeover about that time (it used to be much more mid-century simple, instead of hotel conference center-chic). And a lot of the better stores left. The Marhsall Field's there now is remarkably similar to what existed 20 years ago, with a few changes (for example, there are 127 brands of jeans). It makes me feel uncharacteristically nostalgic and warm-hearted to look at the travertine marble by the entrance and still see the slight silhouette of the "JL Hudson" letters that used to be there, and to see the original doors with their cool handles still in use.

Eastland. Strange to think what an intergral part of my life it was, especially considering now I never even set foot into a mall if I can help it.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1220
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastland is just shifting gears.

The Lowes and Home Depot there are really the go-to place for people in St. Claire Shores and Grosse Pointe when it comes to landscaping, building, and outdoors supplies.

Hudsons/M-F's/Macy's has and will anchor it well, but I wonder how much longer large department stores will survive here, or anyplace in general.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 858
Posted From: 63.41.8.140
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of photos showing how Eastland looked as built.

Eastland

Eastland
WSU/VMC

...and for D4h, the hippo. Sorry, no lion photos so far. Didn't the lion have a brass mouse on it that was always getting stolen?

Eastland Hippo Statue

I spent a lot of time at Eastland when I when I was young, and it was recently built. My grandmother worked as seamstress at Siegal's, so we'd pick her up from work when we'd go shopping there. There was also a large Sander's in the main court, top photo, I think.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on February 24, 2006)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1172
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastland was the destination of many a shopping trip. And us girls would walk (from Three Mile Dr. below Warren) or bike or even take the Vernor bus to get there!!

It was an open air mall until the mid-1970s. I remember the Kresge Dime Store where I bought vinyl LPs for under $4 (before the days of Harmony House). The Sanders store was one or two storefronts to the east. Of course, we shopped mostly at Hudson's, but Marianne's was a big hit with our limited funds, as was Baker's for shoes. During the summer, they held the outdoor Sidewalk Sale Days with tables filled with bargain-priced merchandise. There were also concerts in the mall during the summer; mostly jazz and classical. I remember seeing the Austin-Moro Band there.

(Message edited by Kathleen on February 24, 2006)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1173
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple photos that I took of Marshall Fredericks' The Lion and The Mouse on my last visit to Eastland in late 2004. I took my brother, who moved from Detroit to Montana over 20 years ago and has seldom been back to Michigan, and his wife there to reminisce a bit.

lion1

lion2

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't checked in a while, but the handrail on the Hudsons escalator going down to the basement on the east side use to be loose. When we would get on we would yank it backwards and then looked stunned like every else trying to figure out what just happened. It was always funny to see everybody's reactions. I still get my hair cut by Vito the guy who owned the barber shop in the basement. He left the mall after it got to pricy and now he cuts hair at the Fountain Barber shop on Kelly north of 9 mile.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 734
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastland was the top mall ( back in tha day ) for girl watchin':-)

super d(motordetroit)

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate Eastland

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why???

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 69.212.63.169
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met my wife at Eastland II theater 8 years ago.
Armagedon was showing. It's now the site of a Lowes.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5583
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's fasincating watching this generation of people talk about Eastland Hudson's the way my parents' generation talks about downtown Hudson's.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1467
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it just means that we are officially old.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5584
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are old and we are cheated. Our parents get to be all nostalgic about downtown Hudson's. I have to settle for fond memories of Northland.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I got some downtown memories out of the deal too, but that's off-topic for this thread.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1833
Posted From: 4.229.72.7
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DH4H, nope it wasn't acid, I have recollections of sitting on that Hippo statute as a kid outdoors. Too bad they tore down that 6 or 7 story professional office building at the corner there(8 Mile/Kelly). It was practically the only tall building on the eastside (besides St. John Hospital).

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, interestingly enough my dad had an office in that professional building, sixth floor if I recall correctly.

I remember being in that building during that earthquake we felt here in the 80's, I think I was working on college essays. All of a sudden the chair I was in started rocking and the glass in the window of the receptionist area (it was a medical office) started rattling. Kind of cool, actually.

I think it is an Applebee's now.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 665
Posted From: 68.73.57.108
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's fascinating to me is Kathleen's list of stores. They all had locations Downtown, plus at Westland, Northland, Southland, too. Additionally, they were all local businesses and pretty damn-well respected ones at that.

Patrick

Post Number: 3271
Posted From: 69.219.21.240
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that tall building on the corner of Kelly and 8 Mile. My dentist was in there I think.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the 2 malls that I remember fondly are Wonderland and Livonia...too bad wonderland doesn't exist anymore and livonia looks to be headed to a similar fate...

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 313
Posted From: 69.241.164.222
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall the house and yard in the middle of the Eastland parking lot, at least into the early 1960s. Apparently the lady who lived there refused to sell to the developer. So, her property, neatly fenced, sat in the parking lot, sometimes with cars parked all around it, and she lived there until she died. Her children then sold it to Eastland.

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 66.72.96.70
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a dope ass statue of the mouse and the lion. the concept is so simple but so elegant. when that mall closes, i want that for my crib here in chicago.

Erob
Chicago by way of Detroit

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3748
Posted From: 141.217.174.224
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well a long time ago when Eastland Mall opened, lots of rich white folks fom all 5 points of snobbyville shop there and there were hardly any black-folks shopping there. Today there are more black patrons shopping at Eastland compare to Northland and Fairlane. And the 5:00pm. curfew has really worked wonders to the juvenile deliquents out.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 791
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That earthquake was in january 1986

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5333
Posted From: 69.156.92.83
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think it is an Applebee's now.

That is the number one thing wrong.

How can people eat that shit? :-)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8143
Posted From: 70.53.98.26
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? You don't like pre-cooked food, flash frozen and then re-heated? Processed food is yummy...BARF!

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 12.45.2.92
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a Northlander but we went to eastland when northland was out of stock. What a long drive. If Northland closes I want that African satute in my house in New York. Hell I might just steal it like they did the lee plaza and build my own african village so the spd can come all the way to NY to get them back.
Detroit313 out.
long live DETROIT

Aiw

Post Number: 5335
Posted From: 69.156.92.83
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the original Eastland Proposal?

Crew

Post Number: 853
Posted From: 146.9.52.116
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4, I used to love picking a prize from the treasure chest at Hudson's restaurant on my birthday. I always went up with my sister on her birthday because she was scared of the pirate's head too. I think I owned nearly all the colors of Levi's cords from the gap. Vince definately gave the best haircuts, for boys anyway.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 69.14.162.54
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we got our hair cut at the barbershop downstairs...except brenda cut mine while vince cut my brothers. one time my brother told him it sucked and my mom and to force him to apologize.
eastland has gone thru lots of changes...but as of late i feel like its actually looking better than it has in the last 5 years. although i do find my self in a time warp and looking for stores that were there 10 years ago ! i still love otto's. it always smells fantastic in there !

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 956
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing Santa's reindeer every year at Eastland...and Santa arrive by helicopter.

The circus that performed out in the parking lot every year.

Before the Mall was enclosed, everyone cut through Woolworths or Kresge's...don't remember which.

Saw some concerts in the parking lot too, but I don't remember who it was....maybe Mitch Ryder or Bob Seger ?

I went out with a girl who worked in a Gynocologists office in that 6 story office building out front. Once a week the Doctor wasn't in....the fun we had with those stirrup reclining chairs. Sorry...just had to share.

Patrick

Post Number: 3272
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the use the restroom in the basement. All the stall walls are about 4 feet high. Guess they got tired of guys going in there doing doing stupid shit.

Crew

Post Number: 855
Posted From: 146.9.52.116
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...when they could have just visit Bongman's girlfriend in the Professional Building.

Aiw

Post Number: 5338
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think about BangBongman next time you eat at Applebees.

:-)

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 528
Posted From: 24.193.39.60
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up on the East Side, so Eastland was my regular stomping-grounds for many years (until I got my drivers license, then opted for Oakland Mall -- hotter chicks).
Can't believe I'm admitting this, but I remember buying a pair of MC Hammer-style baggy pants at Eastland's Oaktree store, circa 1990 -- before coming to my senses and returning them the next day. I was only slightly "smoked-out" at the time of purchase, if you catch my cloud.

Been living in NYC for nearly 11 years, and in all of my visits back to the D, I've never been back to Eastland (Oakland a few times, but not Eastland)...until last Christmas. Had to stop in to finish my xmas shopping last time around (the NYC transit strike put a little crimp in my shopping plans).
Within 20 minutes of walking around Eastland, I was pretty much devestated. Is it just the fact that I've been away for so long and so locked into nostalgic memories? [or spoiled by Palisades Center & Roosevelt Field malls?]. Has Eastland really fallen this far? Corridors with empty or shuttered stores and no people, half-assed holiday installations, and crap-smeared bathroom stalls (at least the one I visited, then quickly left).
I was impressed by the former Hudsons(?) space transformed to a Target store though (or was that Pennys?..).

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash, you must not have known Eastland as well as you suggest. The Target store used to be a Kohl's, Penney's is now a Sear's. The Hudson's, now Marshall Fields, is probably the most handsome facility in the former Hudson's chain.

Did hear once that EAstland was supposed to be built before Northland, but a steel shortage due to the Korean War delayed plans.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 529
Posted From: 24.193.39.60
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been 11 years, Taj...

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember being little and trying to climb up the front of the hippo. Finally I was tall enough to do it

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 162.108.2.221
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I well remember shopping trips to Eastland around 1960, including one the day before I started kindergarten, which would have been in September, 1957. For some reason, many of these memories involve food. Does anyone else remember the restaurant in the downstairs arcade? I recall being fascinated by the conveyor belt that carried the dishes out under anodized aluminum warmers. I also recall the nifty models of Great Lakes freighters on the wall of the Hudson's 4th-floor restaurant. I presume that is all long gone; I haven't been back for probably 25 years. I suspect that if I went back, it would look like just another shopping mall.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 159.53.110.143
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those ships too Aarne_frobom... Unfotunately the Hudson's restaurant closed a few years back and to my knowledge that space is still closed off / vacant. I do not recall a restaurant within the basement arcade other than the "Lemon Tree" - I believe it was called. Does anyone recall the Sander's fountain when located across from Hudson's? I remember for some reason that the fountain portion was downstairs from the retail portion of the store - was/is this correct anyone?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 724
Posted From: 4.229.24.183
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to see an ear/nose/throat doctor in the medical building that is an Applebees now.

I agree - Applebees sux - everything tastes like hotdogs, no matter what you order...

My Grandmother used to work at the JLHudsons. At Christmas my heart would sink everytime I opened a present and saw the JL HUDSON'S logo on a green box - that meant clothes and not toys !!!

I remember going there when it was an open air design, they simply enclosed the open air courtyards for the new design.

We used to go to the Kresge dime store a lot.

Eastland Center has an interesting infrastructure design, with its own little power station, and underground loading docks so customers would not be disturbed by trucks. The tunnel starts on the east side near Beaconsfield and comes out on the west side near what is now Sears. The security people use the tunnel for their offices now.

Eastland was pretty bad for a long time, but picked up a bit recently after that last remod. Why they built a Lowes in the same parking lot as a Home Depot is beyond me, though.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 725
Posted From: 4.229.24.183
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JLH

I live in my grandparents former home in Harper Woods next to Eastland now, I just went up in the attic and found one of the J L Hudson's boxes I just described in the above post.

Check out that sweet logo - making an 'H" out of the 'J' and the 'L' - thats good work.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.