Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit Sports Hall of Fame set to move « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 447
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several leading Michigan sports figures lent their support Tuesday to plans for a larger Michigan Sports Hall of Fame in the heart of Detroit.

Among those endorsing the move were boxing manager Emanuel Steward and former Lions Ron Kramer and Lem Barney.

Last month during Super Bowl XL, more than 4,000 people, including NFL owners, visitors and local fans, toured a temporary Michigan Sports Hall of Fame exhibit on the second floor of the First National Building, at 660 Woodward.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060301/SPO RTS18/603010347

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1049
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also at the lunchon were Ray Scott, former head coach of EMU and The Detroit Pistions and Ray Lane, long time Detroit Sportscaster.
Jim Stark said the reality of the hall is months away, not years.
The proposed hall overlooks Campus Martus and Cadillac Blvd. ( you actually look into the faces of the statues on the Soliders and Saliors Memorial)
One of the goals of the Hall is to be a repository for moving images. This will be a research center to view newsreel clips and interviews from the '50 on.
All and all it is a very exciteing project.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Sports Hall of Fame has been in Cobo Arena for years. As a kid, I remember it being simply some bronze plaques lined up along the hallway. I could be wrong, but I think in Detroit 9000 there's a quick scene where the lead actors are walking down this hallway.

Found their website, Michigan Sports Hall of Fame but it doesn't say where it will be Memorial Day weekend. Guess I'll have to check out both Cobo & First National locations.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1051
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plaques will remain at Cobo for the forseeable future. The First National site is not open to the public yet.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok -- thanks.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 449
Posted From: 67.114.23.202
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. I used to work on the second floor of the FNB.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 490
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't a street level location be better for something like this??

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1485
Posted From: 70.227.207.76
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj, I agree. Who's going to know it's there? During the Winter Blast I went into the lobby of the FNB for the very first time and only did it to get out of the rain.

For years I have proposed that a portion of Tiger Stadium be gutted and used for a Detroit Sports Museum. The history of Tiger Stadium and the history that the MSHOF is trying to preserve go hand in hand. Why no one with the means or clout has considered this is beyond me?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 494
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like it will be seldon visited tucked into a building that does really generate a lot of public visits. The Compuware bldg might be better if a 2nd floor is the only option,

It would be great to have a real display like a Tiger Stadium idea that becomes an attraction of sorts

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.