Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Richard W. Reading the 60th Mayor of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5352
Posted From: 69.156.92.83
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came acorss this re-election postcard this weekend of Richard Reading. Who was Dick Reading?

He was mayor from 1938-1940, and he served in between Frank Couzens and Edward Jeffries, but what's his story?

Anyone know anything?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 671
Posted From: 68.248.33.176
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know a thing about the man, but by God what a platform. Looks like a man actually had to work for a living back then.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beats the heck out of me, but the second paragraph has a typo: "far-reatching" :-)

Aiw

Post Number: 5353
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK I fixed it... That's what you get for typing too quickly. :-)

Heck of a platform huh Eric_c?

Jimaz

Post Number: 301
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! From http://www.msu.edu/~daggy/cop/ bkofdead/obits-re.htm (Caskets On Parade ... Book of the Dead):

"corrupt Detroit mayor (1937-39) Richard W. Reading sent to slammer for shielding local rackets"

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 673
Posted From: 68.248.33.176
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spoke too soon. He was still a politician! :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 869
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

city clerk backed by businessmen and Republicans for mayor on an anti-union, anti-communist platform

won mayorship with almost 63% of the vote in the 1937 election but lost to Jeffries in the 1939 election (the one of your postcard)

shortly after losing office Reading, a number of other officials, and a number of patrolman were indicted for selling jobs and skimming money from illegal gambling operations while Reading was mayor (the Detroit News claims credit for pushing the investigation to a special prosecutor)

quote:

http://www.detroitwritersguild .org/History/black_history.htm #Paradise

The heart of the Valley’s economy was the Policy operation, later replaced by the Numbers. It was generally believed and accepted that the only way a black man could make a lot of money was to run a policy house. Unlike the numbers, policy houses — which were exclusively black-owned and operated — had a reputation for honesty. The policy was played by buying three numbers for five cents. The numbers ranged from one to 78. Twelve winning numbers were drawn daily and paid odds of 500-1 or $25 for a nickel.

In August, 1939, the policy opera-tion received a severe blow. A policy house bookkeeper, Mrs. Janet McDonald, murdered her child, and committed suicide when her boyfriend, who allegedly was connected with protection payoffs to police officials, ended their affair. Letters she had written and addressed to local newspapers, the governor, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation charged that her former boyfriend was the collection agent of illegal money for the police department. The papers were near her body.

Circuit Court Judge Homer Ferguson was appointed to conduct an inquiry. A special prosecutor, Chester O’Hara, was appointed to handle the investigation when the prosecutor, Duncan McCrea, was disqualified by charges of his involvement in the conspiracy to protect gamblers. A mayoral aide, who testified that he collected money from racketeers for the mayor, said he delivered more than $3,000 from policy operators to Mayor Richard Reading in his City Hall office.

The prosecutor’s key witness also testified that one of the convicted racketeers had told him of a plan to set up a special racket squad in 1938 to help the numbers operators. Other witnesses charged that Reading had accepted $55,000 in payments to "protect" the $10-million-a-year Detroit operation.

By June, 1942, Reading, his son Richard Reading Jr., the mayor’s administrative assistant, McCrea, several policy operators, including Joe Louis’ manager, the former sheriff, the police superintendent, and 20 police officers were convicted of graft conspiracy.

(Message edited by lilpup on March 04, 2006)

Aiw

Post Number: 5354
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! He was a crook. That's too funny.

Thanks for all the info guys, I've updated the page with the new info. :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 337
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The daily numbers were a compilation of race track winnings on the paramutual results. Those results were as good as any random number generater. I can't recall what tracks they used, but I think they were all out of state.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2145
Posted From: 67.163.181.81
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the end of the 1930's Detroit was at the tail end of roughly 4 decades of being a wiiiide open lawless violent place -- violent and criminal in virtually every imaginable way and many ways that ya couldn't imagine. Frankly, with the exception of depopulation, it made the late 60's-80's look relatively tame. (Say what you want about big bad murder city Detroit in the 70's but at least judges mistresses weren't kidnapped, reporters weren't executed, mayors weren't bought and paid for, the KKK wasn't running shop floors in HP factories, ...) Merely reading old newspaper stories from back then you get a little glimpse into the kinda shit that went down, if ya read between the lines it is kinda stunning. If ya hear stuff described by people who were there it is really something.

As a kid I had the good fortune of knowing several "old time" detroiters who came of age in this era and was able to get them to share some of their "war stories" with me. (Remember if you were a native Detroiter who was 70 or 80 y.o. in the 70's you lived the pre war auto boom Detroit.) Today we may think of it as a period of boom town growth, stunning wealth creation with an honest hard-working proletariat and honest hard-working capitalists causing stunningly creative economic and social developments (which it was) but it was also wildly crooked, savagely violent and growng scary fast at a nearly out of control pace. For example in the 20s there was a gang of thugs named after the old rundown riverfront where cobo hall now sits that made the early 80's young boys incorporated look like a group of delivery boys (which is kinda what they were).

Yay Detroit! It is one hell of a place ...

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 68.253.100.75
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Rustic.

In all my studies of Detroit from 1880-present, nothing summarizes the way I feel better than that post. Kudos. Thanks.

Jimaz

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More! More!

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 68.253.100.75
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May I add to Rustic's point - if you ever get the chance go to a major Michigan Public Library (in my case the MSU library) that has the Free Press on Microfishe and just starting reading from the 1860s to present.

It's quite the trip.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 408
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad used to belong to the "Smith Old-Timers" which was named for a Depression-era Mayor of Detroit. Anyone know anything about him?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 886
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John W. Smith - mayor 1924-1928, acting mayor Sep 1933 - Jan 1934, city councilman

liberal Catholic who narrowly defeated KKK write-in candidate Charles Bowles in 1924 election

in office for building of the Ambassador Bridge - advocated having Windsor & Detroit jointly build it and retain ownership but neither city charter allowed

in office during Ossian Sweet incident and trial

Smith and Frank Murphy appealed to the same constituency, splitting the vote in the 1930 election when both ran thus allowing the above mentioned Charles Bowles to become mayor in 1930

John W Smith Old Timers Club still exists - last I saw they were listed on Dequindre in Madison Heights and were soliciting charitable used car donations

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2160
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 20's and 30's Detroit Catholics played essentially the same demographic role politicly as blacks did in the 60's and 70's: a long growing demographic on the cusp of controlling city politics and government and dramaticly reshaping the city. This caused friction of course ...

To get an idea of just how dynamic and wild a place Detroit was back then, imagine if Detroit starting in the mid 60's had the following one term mayors: Poindexter, Austin, Nicholls, Young, (maybe throw in a young LBpatterson or a Ken Cockrell into the mix too). (Add to that that Detroit back then did NOT have the stabilization of trade unions on shop floors so mix that in too.) What a wild place --- well that WAS Detroit in the 30's.

What seems to be so clearly black and white today with Detroit has MUCH MUCH deeper roots.

Yay Detroit!

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 417
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Lilpup and Rustic for the insights. My Dad belonged to that group out a sense of loyalty to his own father, who was an aide to John Smith.

Smith had his "power lunches" at the Ivanhoe Restaurant in Hamtramck which still exists and where the Polish Yacht Club, another altruistic group) is headquartered.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 982
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Bowles... now THERE's a "good government" candidate!

(NOT.)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3792
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Bowles is self image of Orville Hubbard. Keep the white folks in the black folks out.

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 70.227.201.19
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My great-grandfather was a police detective, I believe the chief detective, during Reading's term. When Reading went down, so did my great-grandfather, along with many others. My grandfather met his father-in-law for the first time at Jackson. That had to be intimidating. I've been meaning to do more research into him for awhile, now. This just may prompt me to do it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.