Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Michigan legislators paid well - 2nd only to California. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 431
Posted From: 69.209.187.90
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060305/P OLITICS/603050390

Must be nice to have a state suffering so badly from poor economy, but yet be paid rather lucratively in relation to other states in the nation. Why are we, the citizens of Michigan, allowing such things to happen ?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1221
Posted From: 68.255.241.205
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not like these clowns do anything valuable anyways. We're in the midst of a major ressession and facing evironmental problems and crumbling infrastructure and they're arguing about pidly stuff and passing bills that do nothing.

I think we'd have a much more effective legislature if they had to go part-time and only work a few months out of the year. This way they'd only have time to get to real matters that concern the state, not waste their time coming up with and passing worthless ideas. Several states have part-time legislatures and they get to the business and hand because they have other things they have to do besides talk to lobbyists.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 636
Posted From: 68.41.174.244
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've done such a great job, they should get a raise.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 340
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Works here in Nevada. State House and Senate meet for four months at the start of every odd-numbered year. And that's all they're paid for, unless a special session (rare) is called by the Governor.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 68.62.19.247
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwinism,

Don't you read the other posts on this site?

We allow it to happen because they are mostly white and as we all know white people can get away with anything. While hard working upstanding elected officals like Kwame toil day after day at the thankless job that is running Michigans largest city. Only to see any little mistake they make turned in to headline news.

In fact just last month he was helping his Congresswoman Mom find some facts in Africa. I cannot wait to see what they found in Africa that is going to so greatly improve my quailty of live here in Michigan.

But seriously they should all be ashamed of themselves and when many of them get re-elected shame on us.

Why aren't their pay raises something we can vote on? Who outside of politics and UAW workers gets to decide how much of a raise they get? I sure don't.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3284
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We get the government we deserve. We're too enamoured in our local, petty politics (city vs suburbs) to realize anything that is going on at the state level. We aren't keeping our state legislators accountable. Instead, we're all more worried about who called who what, and what mayor so-and-so did at such-and-such. We can't see the forest for the trees, and all the while we leave our legislator (which might as well be troubled youth) unattended to rob us blind. It's either time for Granholm to call attention to this and rail against the legislator like she never has before, or look for us a new governor who will. It's been time to clean house for a decade or two, now.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 432
Posted From: 69.209.187.90
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian: I agree with you that a number of these elected lawmakers should be shameful on us, because we put them there - nobody to blame but ourselves. If our state of Michigan is #2 in the country for good policies, good economy, good standard of living and good overall, by all means ..... as Cuba Gooding Jr. says "Show them the money". But we are NOT, Michigan is pretty near to last in everything good among the 50 states and pretty near the top in everything bad among the 50 states - therefore, legislators must not be paid the 2nd highest paycheck in the country. Shame on us indeed.

Rberlin
Username: Rberlin

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 70.229.236.61
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part time legislatures, term limits, unicameral legislatures and most everything else people propose to keep the legislature honest almost always have the exact opposite effect. Think about it this way, that big white building down the street from me, and all the offices around it, will not be empty 10 months of the year. Now we can either choose who's going to be in charge by voting in our representatives, or we can hand over an even larger part of the decision making process to lobbyists and staffers. People whom, we as voters have no power to remove or influence the way we can our elected representatives.

Not that I'm not saying they get paid too much. I would love to see a constitutional amendment tying legislative pay to the inflation rate, or some other trickery to their ability to give themselves raises when ever they feel they deserve it. However what I would love more would be if people paid attention to who votes for and against such pay raises and that that into consideration next time they vote instead of blindly following party or a single issue.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2043
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I like the idea of including "None of the Above" for every office on the ballot.

Although, it would be interesting to see a legislative body consisting of nobody for four years...

:-)

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire the Senate.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3291
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why stop at the Senate? :-) If anything, it's the ineffective House that should be fired. lol

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2396
Posted From: 199.74.87.131
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we divide the state in half so that there is only Saginaw - Monroe as one stage. Western Michigan can have its own state identity.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.