Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Hamtramck - Info Dig « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.249.45.205
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. New member here - found this site while searching the net for info on Hamtramck for a possible move there in the very near future. Before I sign the papers, I was hoping some people could give me some info on the area such as:

1) What's the crime like? I'm sure it's mainly theft and with that in mind, should I look into a security system for the house? Is walking around or riding a bike at night just asking to get hassled?
2) Looking for grocery stores in the area. Am I just missing something since I'm not finding any?
3) Is the trash handled by the city?

I'm in the far, far northern suburbs now and take a lot of these things for granted where I'm at.

I know the crime question is a little subjective but a very valid question for someone who usually leaves their house doors unlocked without worry. I want to move to the Detroit area but not at risk to my life or the small posessions I've worked very hard to acquire. Yeah, call me a scaredy-cat if you'd like.

I don't know anyone in the area so I have no one to ask these questions of other than you kind strangers.

Thanks for any help-
Brian

Kris
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 70.230.228.114
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you ask around about the crime, you'll get different answers. Personally, it’s not bad at all. I’ve lived here all my life and have never had my house broken into, car stolen, etc. A couple neighbors and other friends around the city have security systems but they've never had to rely on them.

Walking or riding your bike around at night isn't an issue at all. Last summer, I rode around town from mostly midnight on. I didn't encounter any problems except additional traffic on Friday and Saturday during bar closing time.

There’s a grocery store on the outskirts of town on Caniff and Mound called Krown. But there’s some in the city and walking distance from many neighborhoods. On Campau, work is underway converting the old Farmer Jack/Food Basic into an independent grocery store. Across the street from that is A & C Market which has a variety of goods. All over town, there are other markets with plenty of food, like Polish Market, just to name one.

Trash is handled by the city though a private firm; Waste Management I’m pretty sure. In 2004, every house in the city received a big blue garbage can with an attached lid, so a trash can isn't necessary.

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 70.141.181.161
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtown always feels pretty safe, but this article from last summer was sort of worrisome:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q =cache:Poyz1RAwCQEJ:www.freep. com/news/locway/attack14e_2005 0614.htm+hamtramck+high+school +crime&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd= 3

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 601
Posted From: 68.79.120.17
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive had the same thoughts of moving there or even eventually buying a home there is there a better sections to live? My temple is north of caniff east of jos compau hows that area? or is it all the same hamtown crime wise?

Kris
Username: Kris

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 70.230.228.114
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article pertains to the high school feud regarding high school students that seems to be an annual fight since the 90's. Its an isolated event.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 68.43.85.165
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Hamtramck and my mother still lives there. She is in what I would consider the safest part of the city which is the section bordered by Conant, Carpenter, Commer and Jos. Campau. Her home has never been broken into and she feels very safe walking around the neighborhood, up to Campau, etc. I've always felt safe in Hamtramck. Of course, I wouldn't walk around much by myself after dark, but I wouldn't do that in many places.
The food stores are nothing to write home about, but you can certainly get the basics and the prices are fine. Supplement with stuff from delis and bakeries and you're all set.
You can certainly find a great house at a good price in Hamtramck. The only drawback for most homes is that you have to park on the street since most homes do not have driveways. (I never was very good at parallel parking!)
I'm proud to say I'm from Hamtramck and think that I learned a lot from the cultural experience of having friends from many different backgrounds.
Good luck!

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2783
Posted From: 69.209.144.190
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's been an increase of muggings and store robberies lately. The Bengladeshi community is trying to agitate that they're the target, but crime is up city-wide.

Car theft is by far the most common problem. Clubs may help, but I know somebody on Moran who had a steering wheel club and the brake pedal locker thing, and they still got his car.

You'll want an alarm on your house. Those who have been on this board since last summer know why I tell you that.

Your concern about the grocery stores is simply due to your current living location. Hamtramck isn't laid out like a suburb, so you can't see things from the car. You have to get out and walk around to notice things.

You'll never go hungry in Hamtramck. Krown is pretty good. It's a Spartan store, so the prices aren't too bad. I expect the new Meijer at 12 Mile and Mound to be filled with Hamtramckans as soon as it opens, though just getting the basics. For anything special, you can't beat Polish Market, Miron's or some of the smaller Bengali-owned stores on Conant.

Garbage is handled by Rizzo. They're pretty good about picking up extra stuff without a problem, too.

You won't regret your move to Hamtramck. The most stable section is between Conant, Campau, Carpenter and Caniff. Jokingly referred to "Hamtramck Heights" by some people.

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 795
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in Hamtramck on and off since the early '80's and now, I know I will never leave. Hamtramck is the coolest city on earth!! Sure I've had 2 cars stolen, house broken into, mugged twice - but the key thing is, a gun was never involved. This could've happened anywhere. My track record was much worse in Ferndale, Warren and Detroit...

BTW, Srodek's (SP) is a great little shop for Polish cuisine and right around the corner! The restaurants (Polish Village, Under the Eagle, etc) are excellent too. Like Hamtramck Steve says, get out of the car and walk and ye shall find...

Screamingfit

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 65.243.199.130
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info everyone!

The area I'm looking to be moving into is right around Conant and Holbrook (Doremus, if you care). From what I'm seeing from the responses, crime in Hamtramck is basically property-related and even though you may live in the nice part (the "Heights" as Steve mentions) you still get stuff ripped off/broken into like everyone else. I can't say that 623kraw's mentioning of car's stolen, muggings and B&E's is comforting - even if they didn't use a gun! In the times I've been in Hamtramck, walking around and hanging out, I've never had any problems and felt pretty safe. I have never in my life had my life threatened (unless you count driving on I-75) or anything stolen from me so I count myself lucky in that regard. Hopefully, my luck will follow me.

I like Hamtramck for the ethnic diversity and how everything is close-in and walkable and a sense of community that comes from that. Nowhere else in Michigan is that more apparent. Prices on property helps a lot, too. I want to spend my money within the community (food, shopping, etc.) which is why I was curious about the grocery stores. I noticed a GameStop on JC so needs other than food are met right there ;).

I will say, with the first B&E, mugging, whatever I have, not only will Hamtramck lose a resident but the State of Michigan will, too.

New question: Does Hamtramck have or belong to a recycling program??

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2785
Posted From: 136.181.195.65
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know Michigan was the only state with crime!

As for recycling, nothing city-sponsored, although if you ask around, you'll find the people who are banding together to do it themselves.

Screamingfit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not so much that I don't think crime exists elsewhere - I'm not that naive. It's just that I've been thinking of relocating out of state for awhile now and thought I'd give Michigan one more chance at showing me a reason to stay. Hamtramck is the only city in Michigan that is fitting most of my criteria in where I want to live. If Hamtramck (the city as a whole and the people) fails me, there's no reason to stay around, is there?

I forgot to mention in my previous post that while the house I'm looking at comes with an alarm system, I will not be activating it. It's expensive and really doesn't do any good as the police won't be there within 10 seconds of the alarm going off - giving the thief plenty of time to take anything of value. I figure a webcam that uploads an image every 5 seconds to an offsite webserver and a little note underneath it that tells them that no matter what they do, their image has been taken and is offsite (so stealing the computer won't help) would at least, maybe convince them to leave the stuff behind. Plus, hopefully my large dog will also be quite a deterrent.

Regarding the community recycling, do you know where I could find more info?

(Message edited by screamingfit on March 09, 2006)

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 395
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preventive measures can go a long way. Putting "stuff" out for the trash pickup tends to draw scavengers, and the only times I've had my garage broken into is when I've had stuff out for trash pickup that attracted said scavengers. and I usually don't put my regular trash into the city provided dumpster until the morning of pick up (FRiday on my street) so that it isn't thrown all over by trash pickers.

Lawn mowers are big targets. And bikes. If you have a bike, don't leave it in the yard for a second, even during the day.

I've only had minor larceny and garage break-ins, but I now follow the above leasons-learned and have no more problems. Living in neighborhood SW of Caniff/Jos Campeau for 5+ years. Leaving doors unlocked is NOT an option though.

It just really burns me up when trash pickers throw my garbage all over the alley. Needless to say, a paper shredder is a must.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2786
Posted From: 136.181.195.65
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screamingfit, while the Hamtramck police won't be there in "10 seconds," I would very, very carefully think about activating the system.

First, it will lower your insurance.

Second, the police will respond within a minute or two, as will neighbors if you have an audible on-site alarm. Get to know the retired people on your street. They will be invaluable to you in more ways than you can count.

Third, an alarm is a major deterrent factor. The vast majority of break-ins are either teenagers or small-time thieves looking for stuff to pawn. Neither of these groups are likely to bother with the hassle an alarm presents. They'll simply go looking for something easier.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 752
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I will say, with the first B&E, mugging, whatever I have, not only will Hamtramck lose a resident but the State of Michigan will, too.

Not to be a bitch, but it sounds like you'd be happier somewhere where there are no other people around...

Screamingfit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck_steve-I didn't realize it, but alarms are available that aren't tied to a monitoring service. I was basing my impressions on alarms when tied to a monitoring service which, from what I hear, are a waste of money. An audible alarm system, which requires no month to month service contract would probably be the way to go. It's just sad that in order for me to feel somewhat comfortable, I need to build up a fortress.

Susanarosa - I don't think you're being a bitch. It's a fairly valid point as yes, I would much rather live in a desolate cottage atop a mountain with noone around for miles than live in Hamtramck but that reality isn't possible for more than a few reasons. I do very much like people and being around an urban center, it's just I have little tolerance for people with a total lack of respect for other people - which most urban centers have in spades.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also don't think "Crime happens, tolerate it or leave" is the mantra we need to be using to encourage people to move back into the cities.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 456
Posted From: 4.229.90.116
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SF,
Having a dog is the best deterrent followed by an alarm. Forget about the cameras. If you have some concerns about the neighborhood you're interest in, I would suggest you walk the neighborhood you are looking to buy during several different times of day. Now that the weather is warm, you'll get an idea of the level of noise, traffic, and who takes care of their house, etc. Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

Plenty of shopping. No shortage here. HamtramckSteve already listed some of the best options. Plus eastern market and any other chain is within a 10 minute drive.

Susanarosa, i don't think bitch is the right term, but the idea of expecting crime to happen is f*ked up. If i start to get mugged/robbed/ and my car gets stolen routinely i'm outta here too. It's not normal and shouldn't be expected.

(BTW SF, a family near JC with a nice home/driveway are available email me: hamtramike at yahoo dot com)

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 253
Posted From: 68.42.181.134
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i love Hamtramck; in fact, i just moved back here this weekend. it's had its down sides for me over the years (parking Nazis, domestically violent neighbors, the occasional rodent sighting [i am freakishly phobic in that respect]), but the pros for me outweigh the cons by far (some of the best restaurants and bars on Earth, multicultural population, always something going on, close to downtown, "Hamtramck Disneyland," etc). as far as crime goes i have never had a problem either, though i have heard stories, but you have to be careful these days no matter where you live. i too have thought about moving out of state, but since i decided to stay, i wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Michigan. plus there are some really cool apartments, and it's pretty affordable. i think it's worth giving a chance.

Screamingfit

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.249.45.205
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess you can nix this thread.

After shopping around this week for insurance, I cannot financially justify moving to the Detroit area after all.

Legally and fully insured, I don't understand how people can afford to live in Detroit. Any savings I thought I'd be getting by lowering my monthly rent $150 by moving to Hamtramck has gone out the window. The money I would be spending on insurance would almost be enough to pay for the rent! It sounds almost unbelievable - "I cannot afford to live in Detroit".

So, sorry to waste the board's time and sorry to you, Detroit. You almost had me. Maybe when I'm rich, I'll be looking again.

Superaygun

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. as far as grocery stores go, you're probably best off driving a little bit out of your way, but that's just my opinion. i like Harbortown Market on Jefferson (they're a bit more expensive, but it's nice, and they have good produce) or the Farmer Jack in Hazel Park at 9 Mile and I-75.

Superaygun

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in fact, Screaming (sorry to keep coming at ya like this), let me know if you're actually looking for a place; the lower apt in the house i rent in is available. (unless you think that's too creepy, coming from someone on the Internet!) i haven't really seen it, but i love my apartment, so i'm sure it's equally nice. the block is pretty quiet and what i pay's pretty reasonable, so let me know. also, check out the ads in the Citizen (the Hamtramck paper) if you haven't already. you may want to check some places out just to see what they're like; it might help sway your decision.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 70.230.228.187
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can still move to detroit and do what many on this site probably do....

Insure at your parent's house in the burbs. It helps if you had your agent at least 3-4yr. Yes, we know the legal ramifications...but it should also be illegal for insurance companies to charge $3,500 per car per year when a claim has never been made! Join the crowd...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 362
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7051, how much would you guess you could save by doing that? Not that I intend to. Just trying to get an idea of insurance in the burbs.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My insurance is registered out in St. Clair county (I live in Ferndale, so not quite Detroit) and I pay $9xx a year...23 y.o., 2002 car, 1 ticket in last 2 years.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 397
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I start to get mugged/robbed and my car gets stolen routinely I'll take the damn neighborhood back. I refuse to stand for that shit.

Observant2art
Username: Observant2art

Post Number: 201
Posted From: 209.104.139.161
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a Hamtramck resident for a while, and they are also known for having these special visitors.

Superaygun

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EEEEEEK!!! thanks for that, observant {NOT}!!! >:P

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new garbage cans did away with the rats in my neighborhood in a few months.

Superaygun

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe Observant's stay was during the strike...? once in a great while i'll see one, but it's always in a neighborhood with an abandoned building or a lot of food trash (i used to live next door to that coney island that closed on Caniff and Lumpkin...*shudder* there was an abandoned building nearby too). but on the whole i agree that the blue bins have helped tremendously. if it were that big of a problem i would not be able to live here!

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2794
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There hasn't been a garbage strike since the 80's. Perhaps you're thinking of when Zych and Pietrucha f'ed up the collection schedules.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those posters who have an interest in rats, Robert Sullivan wrote an informative and readable study of the rat population in New York City: RATS, Observations on the History & Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants (2004). Not only did I enjoy the book, I learned a lot. Probably more than I needed to know.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 908
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Neil...I will have to look into that. I find a lot of good reading on this forum. just started reading Creepers...recommended on this thread as well

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2347
Posted From: 66.167.210.54
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Hamtramck. I think it is the most colorful, charming, diverse and coolest city in all of Michigan. During my 27 years in next door Highland Park, I frequented Hamtown for shopping and entertainment [New Palace Bakery for best hard rye bread in the D, Kopytko's for the best lean sausage and many more real down-to-earth and personal businesses. I still hit them up whenveer I am nearby.] Best of all it is unpretentious, lacks snobbery and has a warmth rare in contemporary urban settings.

Sure it has its problems, suffers from insurance red lining, petty crime and more but this is more than compensated for by its reasonable prices and rewarding atmostphere. If security is an issue, consider living in one of its famous upper / lower flat houses [which it sounds like Superraygun does. Thieves always have to consider who might be home in the other place.

Not surprisingly, Hamtramck's population grew in the 90's while all others around declined.

FYI, a crime study I read years ago revealed that 4 unit flats had the lowest B&E rates, followed closely by 2 unit flats. Makes sense if you think about it.

Superaygun

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm sure you're right, Steve. i always heard it referred to as another strike so i just didn't question. misinformed!

Superaygun

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and no thanks, Neil, although i'm always looking for an interesting read. i prefer to pretend rats don't exist until i am forced to deal with them. got any other recommendations?

(Message edited by superaygun on March 11, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.