Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Scalping in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1916
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if anyone's got the skinny on scalping tickets for games here in the Detroit area. I've noticed that in other cities with their sporting events the team's ticket office will actually steer me towards scalpers nearby or within earshot of box office. And what's the deal on ticket brokerages?? Someone told me that Detroit is kind of an odd city when it comes to scalping of tickets.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6946
Posted From: 66.19.17.157
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scalping, or even reselling tickets at face value is illegal. I am not certain if it is just within a distace of the stadium or in the entire city.

Sadly the vice group of DPD is from what I have been told a little overly aggressive in inforcing the no scalping.

There are however quite a few scalpers around the stadium so it obviously happens.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1918
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just don't understand the harm in selling tickets at face value. It's not like anyon'e making a profit on them. I guess the only thing I can see is to protect the public from possibly buying FAKE tickets.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That ordinance that banned selling tickets at or below face value in Detroit was killed by the courts

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060119/M ETRO/601190382

(Message edited by yupislyr on March 09, 2006)

Jt1

Post Number: 6947
Posted From: 66.19.17.157
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. Misplaced priorities if you ask me. DPD is to protect the citizens of Detroit, not direct traffic, not ensure that there is no scalping (I would love the day that that became a valid concern)

Jt1

Post Number: 6948
Posted From: 66.19.16.86
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Yupi - i forgot about that.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3262
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very good sytstem is at Camden Yards, Baltimore. They have a designated scalping area in a fenced zone. It is monitored by Police and if you get screwed, you have recourses. Sales are at face value only. Only one buyer is allowed in at a time and he can approach any seller, buy or move to another. When he's done, the next in line can approach a seller. It is well-controlled and in jjaba's observations, it works as smooth as a baby's ass.

Caveat empteur. For crissakes, get some street smarts before you plunk down your do-re-mi.

jjaba.

Jqls
Username: Jqls

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 68.43.81.255
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scalping in detroit sucks. DPD only really monitors you and I who have one or two extra tickets. The reason being is you and I have money and will show up to court and pay our fines. This also is true for urinating in public. Do they ever arrest or ticket a bum, no, but they will ticket you or I in a heartbeat. Reason, we will pay the fines.

One hint if you go to a lions or tigers game and a well built african american male in nice clothes asks if you have any extra tickets do not sell. I will actually get free tickets from a friend of mine when they "steal" them from inoccent people. Especially on the main blocks of the stadium. If you are of the beaten path, you are all set.

Suburb money is good, and that is what they want.

As for the camden yards example they have that in tempe az as well, and I have also seen it in Pittsburgh at pirates game. Both places you could sell at what ever price you wanted.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1671
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jqls, the detroit scalping law was ruled illegal by the courts a couple of months ago. There is no need to fear losing your tickets to the cops anymore.

Jt1

Post Number: 6963
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jqls - Tell me that you aren't complaining about the prospect of being ticketed for urinating in public.

quote:

Do they ever arrest or ticket a bum, no, but they will ticket you or I in a heartbeat. Reason, we will pay the fines.

I agree that the rules should be enforced evenly but I ask if you considered the differences between yourself and the homeless and where you can and can not use the facilities.

You have options they do not and I want DPD to come down as hard as they can on anyone that feels they have the right ot come from suburbia and openly piss all over my neighborhood.

quote:

One hint if you go to a lions or tigers game and a well built african american male in nice clothes asks if you have any extra tickets do not sell. I will actually get free tickets from a friend of mine when they "steal" them from inoccent people. Especially on the main blocks of the stadium. If you are of the beaten path, you are all set.

Not really sure what you are getting at. If you don't like the price don't sell them. If you are implying that they something more shady please elaborate.

quote:

Suburb money is good, and that is what they want.

Yep - that is our plan. Subsidize the city by ticketing the poor suburban victims that can't hold their bladder for a few more minutes.

Can you post your neighborhood so I can come and piss all over it then bitch if I get ticketed.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 800
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One hint if you go to a lions or tigers game and a well built african american male in nice clothes asks if you have any extra tickets do not sell. I will actually get free tickets from a friend of mine when they "steal" them from inoccent people. Especially on the main blocks of the stadium. If you are of the beaten path, you are all set."

...I cannot understand anything this person is writing.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2555
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH I inferred a lot of that especially THIS statement:

quote:

Jt1

Post Number: 6964
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that I avoid well built AA males in nice clothes. I watch TV so I know that all well built AA males are drug dealers, criminals or athletes.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 801
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...I'm at a total loss

I'm Frank from "The Sinatra Group" and this dude is Billy Idol. Can't understand a word

Jjaba

Post Number: 3264
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Camden Yards, I presume you CAN sell at less than face. It is over-face that the law prohibits.
Also, having it controlled eliminates fake tkts.

This was started when the new stadium went in and there was such a rush to get in. All tkts. were sold out for the season and scalpers went crazy with inflated prices and fake paper. It can ugly in a hurry when you over-pay for a fake tkt.

jjaba.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1416
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm Frank from "The Sinatra Group" and this dude is Billy Idol. Can't understand a word

You don't scare me, I've got chunks of guys like you in my stool...

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 159.53.110.143
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a recent trip to Indianapolis - I was rather shocked to see a swarming sea of "scalpers" on bikes within the surrounding blocks of Conseco Fieldhouse (home of the Pacers) - this within spitting distance from police on foot, in cars and on bikes. Maybe they were on bikes for a better get-away? This just seemed strange to me.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jqls - Welcome to the Forum. Now, do you care to explain your post? I'm more than a little confused.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2558
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah personally I prefer to dress in clothes that has that 'homeless' feel to it personally...

Would you sell me a ticket then?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3269
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit stylin. For Tigers games, jjaba sells only to guys wrapped in blankets warming with a fire barrel in the Cass Corridor near the ballpark. jjaba will look for you, giving you good discounts on authentic good seats.

jjaba, street-wise baseball fan.

Jqls
Username: Jqls

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 68.43.81.255
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to a lions game with friends. One of our friends was sick and was unable to attend. We tried to get someone to come for free but could not find anybody that was available. So while walking into the game my one friend had the extra ticket and a gentleman came up to him and said any extra tickets. My friend replied yes I'll give you the ticket for $20. The man then said you are under arrest for scalping. Hauled him the stadium and set up a slew of court dates. Funny thing was the face value of the ticket was $68.

As for the urinating in public, never received a ticket for that and save my urinating for port a pottys or a bar. Sometimes next to the car while tailgating.

I have a lady friend who is now a detroit cop and we get free tickets "stolen tickets as I reffered to them before" to lions and tigers games when she is working sometimes. The whole well dressed african american thing is the guy who arrested my friend. I also know about the undercover sting operation and the way they dress because of my lady friend who now works in Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.