Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » "Old Africantown, I've found you." « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1507
Posted From: 69.212.214.242
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the recent events in which Herb Strather and other African American investors bought the St. Regis Hotel, and other former Motown artists, of African decent, investing in a restaurant inside the St. Regis Hotel, and the opening of the Grand City Grille by Frank Taylor, an African American restauranteur, it dawned on me that maybe the New Center area should be home to the proposed Africantown.

An African American owned hotel and two African American owned restaurants, with other African American owned businesses at the corner of Woodward and Grand Boulevard, it appears that the beginnings of an African American owned business district are taking shape. Also, with other prominent businesses or organizations in the area with a large percentage of African American workers( Detroit Public Schools headquarters, the Fisher Building, and the State of Michigan offices in Cadillac Place), the catalyst for an Africantown could already be underway.

Now, I realize that not all of the businesses in the area are African American owned, but there is potential to add more African American owned businesses in the area in either some of the vacant store fronts or on vacant land in the area. The potential for expansion is very real, if those looking for an African American business district look at what is taking place in the New Center area. At any rate, it's something to think about. Any thought?

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 326
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don`t care what race owns a business or restaurant I want good food and good service and you`ll have my business ..

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 68.62.19.247
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thought is I don't care who owns it.

However, judging by all the vacant store fronts across the city I would say that there is plenty of potential to add more African-American or Any-American owned business just about anywhere.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 561
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that: lets make Detroit's motto the AnyAmericanTown to fill vacant, boarded up store fronts.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 68.62.19.247
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time I care who owns a place is if I know them. If I do you bet I'm looking for a comp.

Look out for the Any-Americans in 06'!!!!!

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 68.41.202.23
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do white Africans who become American citizens refer to themselves as African Americans?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 70.237.162.155
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dsmith, if they did, they wouldn't be wrong!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 562
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question - Yes

Royce

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why all of the off-topic responses? Damn, if I knew African American was going to offend so many people I would have gone with black, which offends some African Americans. I guess I will have to wait until Monday to get some serious feedback to this thread. Reading through this shit is a waste of time.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 327
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as a would be patron that would go to some of these places I think my response was serious feedback ..

Royce

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Ddaydave, yours was the exception.

Easydoesit
Username: Easydoesit

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.246.122.172
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

personally, being 50% african/50% Greek (african heritage a part of my culture), I really wouldn't want an african town.... (just my 2 cents)

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1657
Posted From: 68.42.172.120
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I put this idea in the same category as 99.9% of your ideas “Bad”.

Royce

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchantgander, I was making a suggestion that if Africantown is to become a reality, those interested in investing in Africantown might take notice to what's going on in the New Center area. A hotel that is black-owned, two to three restaurants that are black-owned(forgot about the New Center Deli) and prominent organizations(DPS and State of Michigan offices) with a large percentage of black employees, bring together the ingredients for a black business district. This is what I was pointing out, Merchantgander. It's too bad that you don't like my ideas to see what's going on. Your loss.

(Message edited by royce on March 12, 2006)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1860
Posted From: 4.229.105.203
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, back when Mayor Archer had plans to make the former GM HQ in New Center the new City Hall, many African-American city employees and City Council members derided that idea as an idea with a "hidden agenda" to get African-Americans out of downtown. So the city is still in the "dumpy looking on the inside" City Hall on Jefferson, and the State of Michigan got a world class spacious office complex.

I can think of 2 organizations that would be absolutely against an Africantown in New Center.... the Nederlander organization, and Henry Ford Hospital.

No matter where the location of Africantown is, there will always be narrow minded suburbanites who will NEVER set foot near or in Africantown. And for both Henry Ford Hospital and the Fisher Theatre, that would be problematic for their business, since a significant percentage of their patrons come from the suburbs.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3317
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, first, you have to agree with what and "Africantown" would actually be. I would be for an Africantown if it would be centered on the idea of creating an authentic district that would actually attract African immigrants, or at least make that the focus. But rounding up a group of Black businessmen within a majority Black city filled with Black businesses, and then having the audacity to slapping an "Africantown" label on it is nothing more than a cheap, Disney-esque sham. I'll say it again, but I find it offensive to imply that in all of Black Detroit, there aren't enough quality businesses that could join and create a synergy for a retail/business district within the city of Detroit without having to slap and "Africantown" label on it.

Forget about all of the obvious racist who would never set foot in a district, authentic or not. People who supported the last proposal first have to make the case to a sizable group of their own that sees this as a cheap, watered-down idea.

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 833
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The New Center will always be the New Center. Who owns what in the New Center is completely irrelevant and the St. Regis will always be there. Labelling the New Center as "African Town" is not a good idea and will, like it or not, drive people of any race away.

Royce

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with your assessment, Lmichigan, is that the reality is: African Americans don't own enough businesses in the city of Detroit. There is one black-owned grocery store throughout the city. At this point in time, and as far as I can determine, there are no black-owned gas stations. Lee Beauty Supply(Korean-owned) and other beauty supply stores are majority Asian-owned. Very few cleaners are black-owned.

There are very few, if any, black-owned car dealerships in the city. Most of the strip-malls are owned by the non-blacks who own the gas stations, liguor stores, and grocery stores. There are very few black-owned drug stores. There are very few black-owned jewelry stores. There are very few black-owned clothing stores. Eliminate the number of black-owned barber shops and beauty shops and the number of black-owned businesses decreases enormously.

Now, to counteract the trends mentioned above, African Americans might want to develop a business district where the businesses mentioned above can be cultivated for blacks by blacks. Now, I know that these businesses should be in the neighborhoods, but at some point if African Americans want to own more of the businesses mentioned above, then a black-owned business district is where it is most likely to happen.

And this business district should be marketed as a black business district to encourage other blacks to patronize these black-owned businesses. Call it "Africantown" officially or call it "Africantown" unofficially, but the word should be put out that more black-owned businesses are needed in the city of Detroit, and the place where this can happen might be in the New Center area.

BTW, for all of you who are offended by an area being called "Africantown," why no fuss over a business district called "Greektown?" Why no fuss over a new business district called "Asian Village?" Why no fuss over a neighborhood and business district called "Corktown?" Why when blacks say that they want a name for an area of town to represent themselves, "Africantown," some of you say that you or others(white suburbanites)won't patronize it? Why the double standard? Think about it.

(Message edited by royce on March 12, 2006)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, to answer your last paragraph, all of those areas developed organically, with hard work from immigrant populations, it's just that simple. The city did not handpick businesses and developers based on ethnicity or race to "create" and entire district from scratch.

I personally find it down-right offensive that our people need government bureaucracy to create a Disney-fied district, and slap an "Africantown" sticker on it. That's not only offensive to the pride of my people, but to the true African Americans who come over hear and setup shop.

You can call it "Africantown" all you want. What it is at its very heart is a land-grab by city government to make all of Detroit (Black, White, Hispanic, Arab...and otherwise) subsidize a "Black American Town." It offends my sensibilities that people are trying to push and spin this as an authentic African experience, when it would be anything but. I've got too much pride in my own people to ever put my support behind the particular plan that has been proposed.

With all of that said, I have no problem with a Black American business district, and think that it is MUST in Black-majority Detroit. But, I don't support PUBLIC intervention by a city government in creating and subsidizing ANY type of neighborhood based SOLEY on race or ethnicity like this plan calls for. That's just a step further than what I'm willing to take. It goes even beyond Affirmative Action, which I support whole-heartedly. This must be a private ventue, first and foremost, but could apply for grants and subsidies just like any other private developer(s) would. Get my drift?

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 12, 2006)

Royce

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, I am in agreement with you that city government shouldn't be subsidizing such a business district. My contention here is that a black business district in the New Center would be a private venture. No public money.

Lmichigan, what you seem to also be upset about is tne name. I'm suggesting that instead of a government-sponsored business district called "Africantown," that this "Africantown" be naturally cultivated by blacks through private investment. Hey, if you still have a problem with the name, then just call it whatever you wish. The name is not the crux of my discussion.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3320
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I understand your originally post and like the idea, but it is the name, and how it takes you back to the whole Africantown debacle that gets me. And it is the name that will get to most, as well. I'm all for new retail/business districts in Detroit, since so many have disappeared, just be warned with how you propose it. I assume the title of your post is to get attention, right? Well, you may be getting more than you asked for, just saying.

Royce

Post Number: 1529
Posted From: 69.215.16.140
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, it really shouldn't take much to get over the name "Africantown" if the business district is created from private money. That's what you want, isn't it? However, even after that, if you still can't get past the name "Africantown," then how do you justify the use of "Greektown" or "Asian Village" or "Corktown?"

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3329
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, those were naturally grown areas, developed by private entities. They should have no negative connotations. Claude Anderson and some on the council effectively killed the "Africantown" name, and it will always come with the baggage of that boondoggle.

I don't know why you keep trying to compare privately started and grown neighborhoods with the former Africantown proposal, as if I'm oppossed to Africantown because it uses the word "Africa." You've got to understand that, once again, apart from the real racist that have a problem with the name for racist reasons, there is an entire other contingent of people disgussed with how the city handled the former Africantown proposal, but not necessarily with the idea.

Bluehorseshoe
Username: Bluehorseshoe

Post Number: 339
Posted From: 68.85.153.230
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I probably shouldn’t step into this discussion, but I have a few thoughts on this issue and that’s exactly what this forum is for.

First, I’ll start with a disclaimer: I am a Caucasian resident of Royal Oak. That’s right, I’m not black or African American and don’t live in the city. If you think that means I have no credibility and no right to speak on this issue (which seems to be the case with some who post here) I respectfully disagree.

Also for me I would patronize an Africantown the same way I would the other ethnic neighborhoods such as Greektown, Corktown, Mexicantown, etc, as long as the service and products offered where of a high quality.

Thus, I have no problem with a themed Africantown. Ideally these communities grow and develop organically, such as the neighborhoods above. When I was in DC last summer visiting my then-girlfriend, I remember reading an article in the Wash. Post about how an organic Nigerian neighborhood developing in the city based on the immigrant community and was now flourishing with restaurants and shops (sorry- I can’t find a link, I think it was around Memorial Day). It would be nice if a Detroit Africantown would act in a similar manner to attract immigrants and investment. However I also realize that Black Bottom- a true African American town- was bulldozed to expediently shuttle folks in and out of downtown with I-375, which is a shame.

Also in my opinion, the government (at any level) should be blind to race, sex, religion, sexual orientation, etc. I would not personally advocate a government handout or special favor based on any of the above arbitrary characteristics.

Perhaps an example that could be looked to would be the Mexicantown International Welcome Center and Mercado. The Mercado is a private venture, although it has received public funding. However while the Mercado is intended to promote Mexican and Hispanic culture by attracting retailers such as Mexican foods, high-end tequila, silver jewelry, etc., they are looking for local owners, but not necessarily Hispanic owners according to an interview by Model D of Ms. Maria-Elena Rodriguez of the Mexicantown Community Development Corp. (MDCC). I think the Mercado’s emphasis on Hispanic products and services, not on Hispanic owners, is allowing it to succeed.

Moreover, from what I have read the Asian Village is not publicly funded, but a project of local investors led by Mr. Pangborn.

If groups such as the Booker T. Washington Association, the Michigan Minority Business Development Council, and the Detroit Black Chamber of Commerce, etc. along with a few prominent business people would come together to spearhead an effort, that would be taken more seriously and have a better chance at success than a controversial academic coming in from out of town and asking for a city handout (yes, I know Anderson is a former Detroiter).

I would also like to note that sometimes these ethnic neighborhoods can become a victim of their own success. When property values increase and retailers/investors from outside the local ethnicity realize the draw of the neighborhood, other businesses will eventually come in set up shop. For examples note Mosaic in Greektown and Slows in Corktown, neither is Greek or Irish, respectively. However I think this is a good sign because it illustrates a vibrant and attractive area and shouldn’t be discouraged if an Africantown arises. Although, the MDCC looks to prevent this at the Mercado by owning the underlying real estate and thus being able to control their tenant base.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 70.141.180.255
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, did you send this thought into the Mich Chron...cause if not, you betta check this week's paper...they have this as the editorial! (march 17th)

Royce

Post Number: 1540
Posted From: 70.236.146.120
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I didn't. I'll definitely have to check out the issue.

Royce

Post Number: 1547
Posted From: 68.255.240.236
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrsdaniels, I purchased the Michigan Chronicle for the week of March 15-21 but didn't see anything about what I was writing about. Could you elaborate on what you saw and/or read? Thanks.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 657
Posted From: 68.42.220.37
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like a positive development to have more black-owned business in Detroit.

A true Africatown (i.e., an area magnet for African immigrants) would be neat; but Africa is a pretty huge and diverse place; I'm not sure all the disparate groups coming out of Africa would necessarily congeal into a single ethnic community. I think it would really be a magnet for a particular popluation from a particular country or region.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.