Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Lord & Taylor closing at Fairlane « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 70.237.162.155
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox 2 just reported it...sales start next month!

closed by late july

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 899
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a coincidence. I just paid off my Lord and Taylor credit card. I figured they were going to close. I predicted it would happen this mont after speaking with some of the longtime workers there.

Any word on what will happen to the other store(s) in Michigan??

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1510
Posted From: 69.212.214.242
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only went in there once out of curiosity. Never thought of it as a store for men.

Broken_main

Post Number: 903
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I was a regular in this store since my Cass Tech days. They had the largest Polo collection that I knew of and I use to dress very preppy. They had a nice mens selection of suits. The kids section was phenomenal and still is.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2796
Posted From: 69.209.144.190
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And their sales, oy!

Broken_main

Post Number: 906
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yeah...always a good sale...and good coupons on sale priced items,might i add

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've found that whenever May Co. gets their hands on a company, the quality of the merchandise goes way down and the stores are not taken care of as well as they used to be and merchandise is piled all over the store ... Kaufmann's, Hecht's, LS Ayres, etc. Lord & Taylor used to be a very exclusive store and eventually became mediocre after years of May Co. management. Same with Marshall Field's in the short time May Co. owned it. As you know, these stores, except Lord & Taylor will all be Macy's soon.

Broken_main

Post Number: 910
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I know about the Field's/Macy change. It is definitely not looking good for the credit cards in my wallet. Mervyns closed...I got rid of their card a n paid them off. Lord and taylor...hmmm paid off. Fields to Macy's...I am not familiar with macy's and I just loved Hudsons, soooo I don't know what i will do with that card...:-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2887
Posted From: 68.250.96.213
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep it in your pants!!:-)

Broken_main

Post Number: 912
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 148.87.1.172
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully they will have a huge sale to get rid of their inventory.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1924
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That used to be about the only true equal to Hudson's back in the day as far as selection of some higher end clothes in the area. I remember shopping there quite a bit and it's going to be sad to see it close.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3275
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken Main, jjaba still has an EJ Korvette, Mervins, Lord and Taylor, Woodward and Lothrop, Crowleys, Demerys, Neisners, Big Bear, WT Grant, Kresges, WH Kress, Gimbels, Wrigleys, CF Smiths, Goldblatts, Weiboldts, Bon Marche, Hudsons, and Emporium Capwell, Awreys, Sanders cards in his pocket.

Don't feel bad, roll with the times, and get some Dollar Value cards.

jjaba, shopper.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 675
Posted From: 68.248.33.176
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now who will fill the spot? Steve and Barry's?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3285
Posted From: 69.218.157.5
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one at Lakeside is very nice. Just redone I think.

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 24.191.56.146
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federated is simply shrinking Lord and Taylor to make it easier to sell. Federated put L & T on the market last month. Since then 2 stores that they planned to close on Long Island are now no longer closing, 5 marginal stores are being closed (including Fairlane), and one profitable L & T (Center City, Philly) is going to reopen as a Macy's.

So now the John Wanamaker; Eagle, Grand Organ, and Christmas Light Show, have a 4th name, Macy's, ater bring Hecht's for 1 year, Strawbridge for 1 year and L & T since 1997.

As part of this "move" the Center City Strawbridge's store will be closed. Hopefully Boscov's will pick this one up also, as they are buyinig a number od surplus stores from Federated.

Ken

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 70.227.207.17
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the boycott is really starting to have an impact.

I read that a giant "Holla Dollar" is taking the space.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 250
Posted From: 4.229.42.171
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba,
I had forgotten about WT Grant stores until you mentioned it. When I was *very* young, my mom used to shop at the Grant's at 12 Mile and Campbell. There was a fire in the store at one point. I remember seeing the charred front of the building, and it freaked me out. I don't remember if the store closed for good at that time or if they remodeled it and then it closed a year or two afterward. I was only about four years old then. The building is still standing, but I don't know what's there now. Grant's was just one store in that shopping center and a lot of stores have come and gone since then.

Broken_main

Post Number: 921
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E J Korvettes...oh my!!! I remember getting toys from there. WOW!!!

Broken_main

Post Number: 922
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I waaaay more frustrated that L&T is closing moreso than Mervyns closing because of the good quality clothes, not to mention the fact that the end of season prices were so much better than the competition.

Changing the subject a bit, as I was paying down my Mervyns charge card last week, I was told that they may consider coming back to Michigan(it was only speculation) I didn't believe it at first until a former worker there told me that they gave most of the workers at the Dearborn store exit interviews and asked would they be willing to return if Mervyns were to come back to the Michigan market. Seems kinda weird that they would go through all of the trouble to close then reopen a year later in the same market..

Jjaba

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken Main, pay that bastard off, they ain't coming back. Mervin's is a Calif. store and Michigan is too far from Hollywood. What the hell do they know about snow boots and parkas anyway?

Lord and Taylors was a classy outfit. Well, until they killed a guy over a pair of earrings and the victims hired Geoffrey Feiger. Fairlane must be getting ready to go "Northland" finally.
Plenty of adjustments are in your future. It's been all downhill since they ditched the monorail because a few little black kids wanted free rides while their parents dropped their paychecks in the Mall. Pis on them. Piss on Dearborn.

jjaba, Tells it like it tis. He loved that monorail.

Broken_main

Post Number: 925
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved that monorail as well. And since i have taken this recent stand on shopping Detroit, I have no reason to be in Dearborn anyway.

And please jjaba...continue to tell it like it is!!!

Every time I read that (jjaba, Tells it like it tis.) statement, it reminds me of my grandmother who passed away a year ago today(now yesterday) who always would say the same thing. Its been a rough day for me, but I am glad that I have this forum to relieve pressure...while here at work.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3283
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken Main, closing in on 1,000 posts. Wow. Keep the water flowing, eh.

jjaba's father, alva sholem, would say about something gone wrong, "Burns a Guy Up!"

Kinda sums it up, jjaba.

Broken_main

Post Number: 928
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All night...all day ...the flow must go on!!!

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 69.209.134.19
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Wal-Mart will want to go in there and a bunch of local residents will protest, and a few will say some dumb, racist comments and then the story will get overblown in the media and then everyone will accuse the community of being racist, just like Livonia.
Of course, that would never happen in Dearborn.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say...just what exacty are they going to do with that huge space now that Lord & Taylor are leaving?? That was one fothe anchor stores there for Fairlane. Now what? The world's largest dollar store?

Broken_main

Post Number: 936
Posted From: 68.42.79.6
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think fairlane will have any trouble finding a new retailer for that location.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not like that space is tiny. I'm not exactly so sure that Fairlane will find a suitor for that space easily. I've heard that's why communities are against larger footprint stores because once they vacate, it's nearly impossible to find another tenant that's willing to move into it. I can see them parcelling it out to make it a little more attractive to several tenants possibly but any suggestions as to who might take it over??

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 198
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dollar tree or family Dollar

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1148
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Steve & Barry's taking over that spot too?

Trefoil
Username: Trefoil

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 65.185.131.115
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so true:

quote:

I've found that whenever May Co. gets their hands on a company, the quality of the merchandise goes way down and the stores are not taken care of as well as they used to be and merchandise is piled all over the store...

...as evidenced by the Marshall Fields at 12 Oaks which has looked like a third world flea market as of late (okay maybe not THAT bad but it's been pretty bad). All I can say is Macy's at 12 Oaks better be ready to compete with Nordstroms which is being built as we speak...er type.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 117
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we mind as well welcome value city department store

Jjaba

Post Number: 3287
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding jjaba? Value City is where he shops the big tables and bins for his girlfriend's underwear. Are they going into Fairlane Center?

Lord and Taylors might be give way to a wig and beauty supply shop now that they are leaving Woodward Avenue.

Goodwill Indusries is upgrading. Might be a good spot for them although they usually like stand-alone big boxes.

jjaba on the NW side.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's got a girlfriend? Much less one that wears underwear??

Whooaaaa!

Shock and amazement everyday here!

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 67.71.56.22
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taubman Centers claims they had advanced warning of this closure as the Lord & Taylor lease extension was not renewed a few months back. The Dayton-Hudson/May/Federated integration was bound to leave some casualties--and this and the unbuilt Lord & Taylor at Oakland are obviously the ones locally. Fairlane is still a viable retail center--with the abundance of white collar employees nearby and easy access to retail-starved Detroit, I don't see Fairlane becoming a southern version of Summit Place. That being said, the demographic around the mall has changed, and will continue to change, so some stores at Fairlane (Lord & Taylor, the original Saks location) will feel the pinch as their target customers spend more time in Novi, Troy, Sterling Heights, etc. I think Taubman has a reasonable shot at filling the Lord & Taylor space, either with a single department store, or by carving up the space and parcelling it out to a few larger specialty stores (Old Navy, Steve & Barrys, etc). Also, I would watch for further changes at Fairlane. I personally don't believe Saks/Off 5th will continue to stay in the two-level space they're in, when they are down to using only half the space. It will frankly be difficult for Taubman to find a single department store tenant for either or both the spaces. The only chain operating locally that I can see wanting a space like that might be Von Maur--and frankly I think Von Maur is too upscale for present day Dearborn, and being a privately held business, we don't even know how well Von Maur is doing at Laurel Park and Briarwood. Pennsylvania-based Bon Ton stores now has a presence to the south (Elder-Beerman) and north/west (Younkers), if they're bold, they might look at the space too to crack into the Detroit market.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 68.79.114.193
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about a Value City/Value City Furniture taking it over. I know it would be quite a (fall from grace) difference but it may work?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3315
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fairlane should have some tourism dollars too. There are tons of hotels in Dearborn, some quite delux. Almost every name brand is there, much more than in Detroit.

jjaba.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 67.71.56.22
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure how big the current Hudsons/Fields/Macy's is at Fairlane, but they could also take over the L&T space (or Saks) as a Mens/Home store as they did with the old Crowley's space at Lakeside. Value City would likely be a last resort...Parisian is still adding stores locally and is owned (for now) by Saks. Kohl's could kick the tires, or, as I said above, it could be chopped up and shared by any number of big box stores such as Marshall's. Anyone else wonder if Federated will bring the Bloomingdale's brand to SE Michigan?...not that this would happen at Fairlane, but it could be a candidate for Twelve Oaks, Somerset or Partridge Creek.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 69.212.212.205
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about conversion to a paintball course? That would be cool!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3799
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the anchor stores in most shopping malls dissapear, then the mall dies.

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 35.11.161.238
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, then they can knock the entire ol' thing down, replace it with a "lifestyle center."

It's one thing to walk around in a busy CBD to do holiday shopping in freezing weather, and it's another thing to walk around in suburbia dodging cars in the parking lot.

YAY!

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 68.249.244.107
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey they already have "Lifestyle Cafe."

I still don't know how Hudsons @ Northland is making it in it current form. The thing is huge and always empty when I am in there. They pretty much still use all of its space. I would have thought by now that it would have been converted to a two level store leaner but more competitive with the market. Don't get me wrong-I love it in there, it brings me back to my childhood just being in there.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 70.53.98.121
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmubryan--interesting point about the M-F store at Northland. I was frankly a bit surprised that it survived the Hudsons to Field's conversion--and now I wonder how long Federated will retain it as a macy*s. I could be wrong on this point, but often, especially at older malls, the anchors owned their own bricks, and often the land under their stores. Could be the case at Northland with Field's...not sure. Anyone ever frequent the Field's at Summit Place--that's one I really question the future of..?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northland was built by JL Hudsons. It has had various owners since but maybe Hudsons either owns their portion or they have a sweatheart deal.

If Hudsons owns the entire Mall, they can collect rents from the rest and live rent-free, like our parents did in the two-flats.

jjaba, grew up in a Westside two-flat.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.