Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Where should Detroit's "Atlantic Station" go? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1521
Posted From: 69.212.214.242
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how many of you are aware of this development, but our former forumer from Atlanta(can't think of her name) talked about this development a few times. I have checked out the website and it is very ambitious development. Can a project like this happen in Detroit or is current development just as good?

The link is: www.atlanticstation.com

(Message edited by royce on March 12, 2006)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1527
Posted From: 69.212.214.242
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find that the opening of the IKEA store is a big deal there as it is here in Canton. What is so great about this store?

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1211
Posted From: 84.162.28.70
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see...what is so great about Ikea? It is affordable, and stylish. You can buy anything for the home there. The staff is friendly...all over the world. I have been to two in Germany, one in San Diago, one in Canada and another somewhere else that I can't remember. OH, you can actually check the merchandise at the Ikea web site, and see for yourself. You could also do some searching on line and see that the owner is the richest man in the world, and it ain't cause he is cutting corners. The world enjoys his stores. His employees like the job. The products are fun and can make life easier.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 531
Posted From: 194.138.39.56
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, this atlantic station development is nothing Detroit needs downtown. Perhaps outside Laffeyette Park area or something, but it currently doesn't fit. Also, I think the developments on the riverfront will do, successfully, what this is doing in ATL, but on a "Detroit" scale.

Finally, if you have never been to an IKEA, then you have no idea. IKEA is one of the smartest furniture/home retail shops in the world. Also, IKEA offers a Modern, sleek style that is normally outrageously priced. IKEA will be incredibly succesful in the Metro area. People will drive from Lansing and Bay city to go there.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus the great thing about IKEA.... they give all employees who work over half-time HEALTH CARE...and still make zillions of dollars....what more could you want in a company?? This is not another Wal-Mart!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about locating it in the city's new super-mall, the Packard plant! (wishful thinking)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 537
Posted From: 194.138.39.56
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is absolutely nothing similar between IKEA and Walmart. IKEA adds value and brings more businesses to the areas they choose (which are usually suburban locations). Walmart locates in every town, suburb and city it can and closes businesses by gross competition.

Personally, I think IKEA missed out by not having their location in the City center, somewhere (tiger stadium?). They could have had central access to all regions of the Metro area with awesome freeway access and plenty of parking space. But then again, they could have located out in Auburn Hills and everyone from Toledo to Alpena would have still driven there.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are still plenty of development oppurtunities on empty or underutilized parcels within the CBD to really need a development the size of Atlantic Station, but once the CBD starts getting saturized there's a lot of potential land and convertible commercial buildings along the West Fort corridor.. west along the riverfront to the Ambassador Bridge and north up to Corktown, that could become a mixed-use village on the scale of 'the district' in this Atlantic Station development. (Personally, I don't like how unmixed the development as a whole really is.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.