Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Weekend In Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be in Detroit this coming weekend (St. Patrick's Day weekend) from out of state. I am going to see David Copperfield at the FOX Theatre with a friend on Friday evening and will be staying the weekend at the Marriott Ren Cen. I am wondering what a good place for lunch & drink would be Friday before we check into the hotel and also a good place for an after theatre snack. The show should be done by 8:30pm. I have done a lot of rearch on-line and searched threads on this website but I cannot make my mind up. I would like a great experience for my guest since it will be her first time in Detroit in 20+ years, whether it be with food or ambience, architecture, etc. Any thoughts would be great.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 212
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back, Hysteria! For lunch, I would suggest Au Bon Pain, in the new Campus Marcius then walking over to see the lobby of the Guardian Building, one of this country's deco wonders. Also, the lobby of the Fisher Building in the New Center area. If you enjoy Greek food, take a walk through Greektown. A drive through Boston-Edison, Indian Village, or Palmer Woods could showcase our grander neighborhoods.

If the weather is nice, why don't you consider walking up Woodward the evening of the show. There will be lots to reminisce about and lots of new buildings and older loft conversions to see.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 756
Posted From: 68.252.7.84
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest Sweet Lorraine's which is in the Millender Center across from the Ren Cen. Jacoby's on Brush is also a good lunch/drink spot, as is walking up to Greektown and then you can have a choice of a wide variety of greek restaurants and the other places that make up greektown (I've heard Mosaic has a good lunch, although I've never been). Or any of the fantastic restaurants in the Ren Cen (Seldom Blues, Andiamo...) Definately more Day-tway than Au Bon Pain, which you can get most anywhere (not that Au Bon Pain isn't good)...

I'd probably go to Union Street for the after theatre snack. Just north of the Fox, good food, good bar. Or any of the other places listed above...it all depends on your transportation situation...

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. We will be using the People Mover most of the weekend to get around from Ren Cen. I have never been on it and am looking forward to it. I was curious about Jacoby's (food sounds real good) and I planned on visting the Guardian Building as well.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1676
Posted From: 69.212.213.210
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only one place for lunch, Eph McNally's in Corktown.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 921
Posted From: 204.39.225.48
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well seeing as it is St. Patricks Day I would suggest the Baile Corchagh (however the fuck it is spelled) in corktown. Where better to soak up some Irish feeling than there.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1185
Posted From: 69.47.194.247
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I 2nd Gumby.

Baile Corcaigh (I think is how its spelled) is delicious.

If not lunch you must go for dinner while in town.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 69.246.43.231
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there for lunch as well, pronounced Bally Cork, very good food.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.