Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Lions Talk! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 458
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lions have their 1st/2nd string QB in Jon Kitna.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/ news/story?id=2368184

This come's just a day after they sign Corey Bradford from Houston. Still no movement on defense.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2956
Posted From: 129.137.179.95
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitna? Yawn. Bradford? Double yawn.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1420
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lions have their 1st/2nd string QB in Jon Kitna.

Unfortunately, the truth is that the Lions now have their 4th second string QB...

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 306
Posted From: 69.209.171.152
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh boy, we should draft a QB too and have like 6 to choose from

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 600
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should really light a fire under Joey now. Kitna is healthy and he was in a playoff game last year.
The amazing thing is they (Lions) sign him to a 4 yr. contract.
I understand these (NFL)contracts aren't guaranteed but still it makes you wonder why so long?

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1663
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Unfortunately, the truth is that the Lions now have their 4th second string QB...

I would say 2 seconds, 1 third and a strong Area League QB.

Genesyxx

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just In: Lions resign Kalimba Edwards: 4 yrs/ $20 mil - $8 mil guaranteed.

And what happened with Jeff Garcia? He lit a fire under the whole orginization's asses last year, now he's out? What, too much money? There's a poll on ESPN too, asking who will be the Lions' starting QB.

and oh yeah, Dante Culpepper traded to Miami.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1956
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garcia? I guess there's a way to light a fire and then there's a way to light a fire and burn it a little bit. In so many ways he did good here and then he also burned some bridges. I think one has to be able to earn the respect of his team mates before he can start lighting a torch- and to no fault of his, Garcia just wasn't around long enough to earn that respect.

My call on it is that Sean King will be released once things get going. I see Harringotn being the #1, Kitna as #2 but without reservations on going in and Orlovsky still sporting the clipboard for a bit.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 569
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Joey Suckington will be #1 again, Kina is a younger Garcia

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 64.118.149.50
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The John Kitna signing marks the end of the Joey Harrington experiment. This also smells like another QB drafting in this years draft. Kitna could've continue backing up Palmer on a winning team he's coming here to start. Also the lions just signed Shaun King.

Rumor: Harrington and the #9 pick to NYJ for the #4 pick>>> Drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson or Jay Kutler

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1257
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will not draft a QB.

As far as Bradford and Kitna, they needed a backup QB and WR and they got both for cheap. Then they re-sign Kalimba which is huge.

Julian Peterson is in town and that would take care of one of the LB issues.

Then OL.

They also re-sign Eddie Drummond. If they would have signed any of the players the arm-char GMs wanted they would have not had any money left over to sign anyone, let alone re-sign their own players.

bTW: This is the NFL, trades with players cause an immediate impact of the players contract on the cap that year. That is why there are very little trades made in the NFL.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 812
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could never understand how someone can be a true Lions fan...and also a supporter of Harrington. This guy has done nothing but ruin countless Sunday afternoons. I finally see this long drawn out nightmare coming to an end.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1846
Posted From: 24.98.116.13
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping for McCown. Kitna is ok, but not the answer. I think this has Martz written all over it. Good Bye Shawn King. QB order to start = Harrington, Kitna, Orlovski or however it's spelled. Look for instant QB controversy if Kitna does better in the preseason.

Awesome about Kalimba Edwards.

Genesyxx

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what the penalty is for releasing Shaun King? Also, resigning Drummond was a good move, but I think they overpaid a bit. Blocking (o-line and spec. teams) should be the main focus, and I've yet to see that being dealt with.

oh yeah... Drew Brees signed to the Saints.

Eastside

Post Number: 813
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rob Parker reported that the honeymoon between Harrington and Martz is over...draw whatever inference you want. Kitna is quoted as saying his contract numbers are not what you would pay a backup.

_sj_

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, Kitna is the backup who could play and they believe will perform hence the money. If harrington is cut tommorrow they will sign another QB.

More Rumors} Barry OT from Packers agreeing in principle and Julian Peterson offered a 5 year deal.

Only the top 53 plays count so Shaun King money does not count against the cap and his penalty will be 0.

Eastside

Post Number: 814
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitna would not have signed in Detroit unless he were told he will be on equal ground with the other QB's here. Kitna was NOT brought in to be the backup...he was signed to win the starting job. The money reflects that.

_sj_

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only numbers out there are a SB of 3-4 million. That is not starter money.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Eastside. That's the way I take it. By the way, and for what it's worth, the Lions are currently 60-1 to win the 2007 Super Bowl. There's only five teams with longer odds in the LV sports books.

Robtruth
Username: Robtruth

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 216.203.223.115
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions are playing with the emotions of the fans. Billy Clay treats the Lions as a tax instrument.

Most football teams (at all levels) are very very aware of what a mobile QB brings to the field. Countless big plays from design and from broken situations happen every Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. Look no further than Ben who is the current winner at the pro level. Sure, he is no flat out runner, and he still is miles advanced over Joey and his motley partners.

Until the Lions acquire a mobile QB, they are proving they do not want to win.

FoMoCO will implode before the Lions play in a Super Bowl.

You can bet the average plant worker is as far removed from the Lions hierarchy as the 53 losers who will start this fall.

Eastside

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AM1270 just interviewed Kitna. When he interviewed, Marinelli said "the QB situation here has not worked" and that he "did not care how high anyone was drafted...the best player will play."

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 68.62.19.247
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did we go out and get Kitna when all Miami had to pay for Daunte Culpepper was a second round pick?
I know his knee is messed up but the Dolphins mad the deal contingent on his passing a physical.
The only times the Lions mess with injured player is when they are unproven rookies (Pinner).

The Lions suck and they will continue to suck as long as Ford Sr. is in charge. There is a reason he was never put in charge of the Motor Company.
If he took over Ford when he took over the Lions they would have went under years ago.

_sj_

Post Number: 1263
Posted From: 69.208.116.128
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for one, the phyiscal stuff is horseshit. He had major knee surgery, career ending knee surgery within the past year and may not be ready to play until week8/9 of the upcoming season. No way in hell he passes the "physical". The so called phyiscals you hear about are just garbage.

Kitna got 10 mil spread over 4 years. That is not start money.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9938
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people are unbelievable! Harrington is the #1 QB, plain and simple. All of your speculation is complete and utter bullshit. Harrington has been the foundation to build this team around and will continue to be that person. He has talent, what he has not had is a good coach, offensive line, or support of his teamates. All that will change this year. In the mean time, keep on speculating that Joey's days are numbered, it's getting quite laughable.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“I think from a team standpoint, that position obviously is the most important position, so we’ve got to get that thing as strong as possible,” Millen said. “In that regard we want to get the best one we can. … But let’s be clear on this whole thing: It’s for a backup guy.”

--- so from I got from that quote is that Kitna is a back up QB

Eastside

Post Number: 817
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The writings on the wall. NFL backups dont get multi-year contracts and 4m signing bonus. Kitna was brought here to win the job, he accepted because he thinks he will...and so do I.
Harrington has a shot, but he will have to win the job. Coach Marinelli has already said as much...the best player will play.

Now the fun part...we get to kick back and watch this thing play out. Time will tell who is being delusional about Harrington, and who is not.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 922
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And what happened with Jeff Garcia? He lit a fire under the whole orginization's asses last year, now he's out? What, too much money?

you are kidding with this right? Garcia was horrible last year and will only continue to get worse. I am not saying Kitna is an upgrade but Garcia was worse than Harrington at times last season.

Eastside

Post Number: 818
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems the Lions are still talking to McCown...even after signing Kitna.

March 14, NFL Total Access: Rich Eisen: Let's talk Jon Kitna. He was much in-demand, and he finally landed in Detroit.

Adam Schefter: Let's look at the situation, and the facts of the situation right now: the Lions did speak with Drew Brees. His price was too high. They visited with Patrick Ramsey. They signed Jon Kitna. They are still talking with Josh McCown. That cannot send a positive message to Joey Harrington, who I think he now suspects that he may be on the trading block in time here.

Clearly the Lions have made a concerted effort to go after quarterbacks. They've already added one. They may still add another. You have to wonder what that means to Joey Harrington's future in Detroit.

Rich Eisen: Let's wonder. What does this mean for the future of Joey Harrington in Detroit?

Adam Schefter: Well, they start their offseason mandatory workouts on Monday. Joey Harrington is scheduled to come back from Thailand on Sunday. He's expected to be in attendance on Monday.

How long he will remain a part of the Lions' roster throughout the offseason is uncertain, because basically the Lions have sent a clear message that they are interested in other quarterbacks. Not just any quarterbacks, but high-profile quarterbacks. Jon Kitna was brought in with a clear chance to start. He wouldn't have gone to a place unless he could start, so he clearly thinks he can start in Detroit. Again, they are still talking with Josh McCown. They have had in Patrick Ramsey.

A lot of quarterbacks. You can't feel too comfortable if you are Joey Harrington.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Harrington or ANY quarterback in this town should feel comfortable. If there was one sports position in this town the QB should be the least complacent. If Kitna or any other QB came into town thinking that he didn't have a chance to start I don't think we'd want him. I'm willing to bet that even Dan Orlovsky- in his mind, thinks he has a chance to start. Even Shawn King. They HAVE to have that mindset coming in... it's HAS to be a part of their competitive nature.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whichever QB takes the snaps this year should ditch their #3 jersey. With Kitna, we get another guy who might want to wear #3. I say the starter ditches the number and goes with #7- as in seven points for touchdown (+extra point) and not three for field goal. Call me superstitious.

_sj_

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you believe rumor and spec Harrington is all done in Detroit, he wants out. This was on wdfn this monring.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 71.144.116.109
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link sj refers to:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1053
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You people are unbelievable! Harrington is the #1 QB, plain and simple. All of your speculation is complete and utter bullshit. Harrington has been the foundation to build this team around and will continue to be that person. He has talent, what he has not had is a good coach, offensive line, or support of his teamates. All that will change this year. In the mean time, keep on speculating that Joey's days are numbered, it's getting quite laughable"

THANK YOU SPORT! Any qb in this town will FAIL utterly misrably without a decent offensive line to pass block or run block. LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENES TO PAYTON MANNING AFTER HIS OFFENSIVE LINE GETS INJURED AND FUKES UP!!

Show me a qb that can take a snap and throw .5 seconds after recieving it. THats what harrington is up against every sunday. Kelly BUTTler is a fat tub of lard ass that cant block, Rayola is too short and too stupid to remember play calls.. even costing us a few timeouts last season, and what do we have left... Damian Woody??? WHERES THE OFFENSIVE LINE...

HOw bout this, when we had Ray Brown, look at what Kevin Jones did, DAMN NEAR 1500 YARDS AS A ROOKIE. Now fast forward... the guy cannot find a hole for the life of him ALL season..

Give the guy a line and watch what happens. ALso recievers that can remember simple plays from a more simple playbook... That actually use the speed of rogers and williams to get to a spot fast where harington can throw his pass.

I saw alot of improvement in harrington last year.

REMEMBER, he was expected to produce as a rookie.. He is only been in this league for 4 years... that aint SHIT for a qb.. he never got to learn as a backup and that guy has a deadly arm..

SO sue me....

Eastside

Post Number: 819
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport's post is so misinformed...I thought he was joking.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8251
Posted From: 70.54.68.220
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see they are putting players where they are needed (sarcasm).

Alexei is correct. Without an O-line it doesn't matter who you put in the QB postion.

More fuckups by the fools who run this so-called "team"...like putting your hand on a hot burner time and again even though you know you are going to get burned.

Eastside

Post Number: 820
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Without an O-line it doesn't matter who you put in the QB postion."

...the same could be said for any team, from the NFL to Snoop Dogg's team.
The Lions have had quality O-lineman.

...next question

_sj_

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Harrington had time he still looked like shit, next excuse please.

Goat

Post Number: 8257
Posted From: 70.54.68.220
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Harrington has been there where has the O-line been?
Trust me, I'm not a huge fan of Harrington but with the shitty receivers, shitty O-line, shitty play calls the guy hasn't really had much to go on. Bringing in Kitna isn't going to amount to much either. Next question.

_sj_

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing but a backup at backup money.

Eastside

Post Number: 821
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mlive.com/lions/sto ries/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/ 114250742083260.xml&coll=1

Blessyouboys

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 69.209.180.204
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McCown? Nice. Although I consider myself one of the few Harrington fans left in this city, I wouldn't mind Joey getting a new start somewhere else. Especially if our QB rotation would include McCown/Kitna, guided by Martz. That seems strangely respectable for the Lions.

Atl_runner

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can hope. I've been pulling for McCown for some time now. If we land him, we are in a good position to move forward fast. If we don't, then we get in a cycle of trying to find the right quarterback, setting back the progress scale once again. Either way, Joey is done. Rarely do these things come out and then go away as if nothing happened.

Czar

Post Number: 2961
Posted From: 129.137.177.209
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Sport will still insist that Harrington is the Lions #1 QB when he's on another team?

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.41.90.66
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really too bad. I'm not a Joey fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I really think that he deserved one more fair shot with an offense that makes sense, run by someone as intelligent as Martz. He really got the shit end of the stick on a lot of things over the past 4 years and yes, sometimes it was his own fault. I just think with all the time that's been spent on the guy, a handful of starts at the beginning of the season to give him the up or down wouldn't have been out of line.

Here's to hoping that Kitna turns out better than Garcia. He's the Eagle's problem now (wonder if that's what the Browns fans said of us last year...).

_sj_

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor} Lions sign Mcnown per ESPN, Joey Cut on Monday per mlive.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man....is it hard being a Lions fan!!

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2644
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joey, Joey, Joey

Like a perfumed woman,
The wind blows in the bunk-house-
Like a perfumed woman,
Smellin' of where she's been.
Smellin' of Oregon cherries
Or maybe Texas avocado
Or maybe Arizon sugar beet.
The wind blows in
And she sings to me,
'Cause I'm one of her ramblin' kin.

She sings-
Joey, Joey, Joey,
Joey, Joey, Joe
You've been too long in one place
And it's time to go, time to go!
Joey, Joey, Joey
Joey, travel on

You've been too long in one town
And the harvest time's come and gone
That's what the wind sings to me
When the bunk i'be been bunkin' in
Gets to feelin' too soft and cozy,
When the grub they've been cookin' me
Gets to tastin' too good,
When I've had all I want of the ladies
in the neighborhood.

She sings-
Joey, Joey, Joey,
Joey, Joey, Joe
And it's time to go, time to go-time to go!
Joey, Joey, Joe.

Atl_runner

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McCown, Kitna, Orlovski.

Hope reborn.

Czar

Post Number: 2963
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/ news/story?id=2371034

Atl_runner

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Millen/Marinelli/Martz/McCown

Something has to be right about that.. right?

Quad M's.

Czar

Post Number: 2964
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd guess McCown has the inside track to the starting job. He posted some pretty big games with Arizona last year. Of course, Arizona has some talented receivers, that helps.

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danm...this is going to be interesting.

Genesyxx

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beat me to it. I mean, this definately spells the end of Jo-ey. Wonder who they'll trade for him.

Czar

Post Number: 2965
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They won't get much, if anything.

Eastside

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...I guess we found out sooner than later who was delusional about Harrington.

...boy

Supersport

Post Number: 9943
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With this recent move, I'm not sure if the new coaching staff has any more direction that the staff the departed. To come in and say "Joey is our #1 QB, he has talent, more so than I thought," only to bring in a bunch of 2nd rate qb's to compete for the starting job. The Lions organization has hit a new low if you ask me, and I didn't think that was possible.

Supersport

Post Number: 9944
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, THIS is why I still haven't bought a Lions jersey of ANY player. :-)

Atl_runner

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Charles Rogers jersey I'll sell you for you first.

Really, I bought it early on.

Czar

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it smell like pot?

Supersport

Post Number: 9945
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, after reading up on both these new QB's, they both basically suck major ass. So why the excitement? On paper, neither one looks any better that Harrington. Seriously, we got qb's from Arizona, a team that is quite possibly one of the only team worse than Detroit. The other a 9 year vet with Cincinatti, another team that has sucked from a helluva long time. So I'm not going to bust out the bottle of Boone's Farm and start cannonballing just yet.

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 2nd stringers do not equal a 1st.

Atl_runner

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

qb's often beneift from change. Harrington might too. Bottom line is that he sucked it up for 4 years here and his time was up. SOME of that might have been coaching, but in all honesty, we would have seen more potential over time. In fact, I saw nothing. McCown is the best of what was available in Free Agency as far as potential to build this team off of. His contract is perfect.. in a sense, he HAS to perform this year in order to receive any kind of extension. It's a win win for the Lions, McCown, and the Fans. This is the same scenario that turned Carolina around overnight. It can work here.

Blessyouboys

Post Number: 317
Posted From: 69.209.141.248
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's Mr. Jacksonville High School '98, Josh McCown, of your Detroit Lions

d

Smogboy

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But can she throw a football deep?

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 159.53.78.143
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO Smogboy!

My questions is - why are they posing in front of a skyrise housing project?

_sj_

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually it was Joey who wanted to leave not the Lions. Infact he wanted out so bad he offered to restrucutre his deal.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I fall into the category of Joey Sympathizer as opposed to Joey Supporter.

I can't blame the guy for wanting to leave. He has very little support from the management in the ways of a coach and the fans here are hungry for a winner right this moment. Even some of his own team mates stabbed him in the back & threw him under the bus. Did Millen take a perfectly good collegiate QB and ruin him by saddling him into a program where he wasn't suited?

He was a breath of fresh air in the sense that he always held his head up high and had a measure of dignity about him regardless of the situation. I wish the guy well wherever he ends up- as long as he doesn't come back & trounce our sorry asses some day.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 261
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Len Pasquarelli from ESPN was raving about McCown on the radio today. He said he thought that he has more talent than any of the other QB's Martz has had.

If Martz knows anything, he knows QB's and I doubt he would have even taken the Offensive coordinator/QB coaching job with the Lions if he didn't have a large say in the QB's he'd be coaching.

Goat

Post Number: 8266
Posted From: 67.71.56.83
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could eat soup with that chin!

This just goes to show you the ineptness of this shitty org. 6 receivers and 3 (sorry somewhat 4) mediocre QBs. Of course, after this org. said that Harrington was going to be the #1 starter. What a bunch of dumb fucks (or are the fans dumbfucks for supporting this talentless team year after year?) I'm done.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Goat. They didn't need to say anything as to who their #1 quarterback was going to be. Not then and not even now. Training camp isn't even here yet. Let all dozen of them fight it out for the job. As far as I'm concerned, none of the Lions has a secure job- they ALL have to fight for their jobs. None of this designated #1 crap. Earn it.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 436
Posted From: 69.209.155.143
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Goat as well. The organization is the problem, no doubt.

Look forward to another season of confusion and another season controversy, another season of experiments with new formations, playbooks and philosophies.

As Mitch Albom said in his write-up (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060317/SPO RTS01/603170382/1082), Joey will be looking back and thank God for being out of this mess.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm saying get the poor guy out of town for his own personal psyche! He was never really given much of a chance to succeed here. Most rookie QBs usually have clipboards in hand and learn as an older QB grooms them. Poor Joey was never given that sort of opportunity here so maybe it's not too late for him to land somewhere where he can still develop.

And the last two supposedly QB friendly coaches in Marty & Mooch turned out to be quite the opposite.

Czar

Post Number: 2973
Posted From: 72.49.166.173
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor Joey this, poor Joey that. Look, the guy couldn't play. As Runner posted, the guy never even displayed flashes of potential. Yes, the Lions organization is a disaster (Millen with a contract extension), but Harrington will never be anything more than a second string QB. It's possible he might have been a better QB if a better organization drafted him, but, his career as a starter is over.

Eastside

Post Number: 824
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am dumbfounded by Harrington's appeal to so called Lions fans....I really dont get it. The guy never produced at the NFL (not for long) level. You can talk all day about half legitimate reasons why he has had ZERO success through four LONG seasons...but at the end of the day, name three things Joey did well. The game never slowed down for Joey.
He is slow, flat-footed, does not feel the rush well/happy feet, can't throw on the run, inaccurate, poor decision making with the football...the list goes on and on.
I'm not giving a ring of endorsement to Kitna or McCown...I will just put my faith with Martz's ability to spin QB's out of yarn. I have hope that under his tutelage, he will be able to squeeze production from one of the two.

Are you cynical about our current QB situation? Tell yourself its time to move on to the next mistake. I want new mistakes, not old ones.

Marcnbyr
Username: Marcnbyr

Post Number: 637
Posted From: 68.43.13.13
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm done."

Yeah, right. I've heard so many Lions fans say that over the years its laughable. They say it on Monday, but their right back on their couches in time for Sunday's game. It's easy to say in March, but come September will you really be done with the team? Lions fans are the textbook abuse victim: "I'm going to leave, I want to leave, really I do....it's just so hard, and they promised me they'll change. Things will be different this time, I know it."

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 978
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not much of a Joey fan, but I admit that he wasn't guven the opportunity to learn, play, and shine. They expected him to just come into the game and becoma a star. The Lions front office serious needs some leadership. One of the biggest mistakes that the Lions made was renewing Matty-boys contract. This definitely leads me to question the Ford's leadership capabilities.

The Lions have missed out on some golden opportunities which would have meant being more aggressive and risky in the free agent market.

I just hope the Lions fans will be able to bear another dismal season this year.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 889
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and golfers are always playing for that ace aren't they?

someday...someday...

Devinc
Username: Devinc

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 69.14.138.74
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every year lions fans say "THIS IS THE YEAR!"

THIS IS THE YEAR!

Smogboy

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be the first one to admit that they disappoint me year after year and like a bad check, I keep coming back. Sometimes I wonder if I'm really that masochistic and I think I am.

And the one thing that I keep holding close to my heart is "At least I'm not a Cardinals fan"- but as of late, that's about all I can cling to with the Lions team.

Czar

Post Number: 2975
Posted From: 129.137.210.145
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/ news/story?id=2376833

"You people are unbelievable! Harrington is the #1 QB, plain and simple. All of your speculation is complete and utter bullshit. Harrington has been the foundation to build this team around and will continue to be that person."

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2652
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joey, Joey, Joey

Like a perfumed woman,
The wind blows in the bunk-house-
Like a perfumed woman,
Smellin' of where she's been.
Smellin' of Oregon cherries
Or maybe Texas avocado
Or maybe Arizon sugar beet.
The wind blows in
And she sings to me,
'Cause I'm one of her ramblin' kin.

She sings-
Joey, Joey, Joey,
Joey, Joey, Joe
And it's time to go, time to go!
Joey, Joey, Joey
Joey, travel on

You've been too long in one town
And the harvest time's come and gone
That's what the wind sings to me
When the bunk i'be been bunkin' in
Gets to feelin' too soft and cozy,
When the grub they've been cookin' me
Gets to tastin' too good,
When I've had all I want of the ladies
in the neighborhood.

She sings-
Joey, Joey, Joey,
Joey, Joey, Joe
And it's time to go, time to go-time to go!
Joey, Joey, Joe.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 970
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure glad we locked up that all important position of Kick Returner. Who blocks once it's 1st and 10 ?

Smogboy

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone care to speculate where Joey will end up??

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 501
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone care to speculate where John Kitna will end up?? Next?

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 141.209.33.147
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minnesota. Just a guess

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 779
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitna vs McCown__ Man I can hardly wait!(yeah ok)

Joey will fit fine in San Fran or Seattle! He can drink all the lattes' he wants:-) He was never a Black and Blue kind of guy. Ain't no Blue Skys in the D!:-)

'Czar' his teammates don't believe in him__ what more do you need to know!

Man, the new coach sounds to much like Marty!

super d(motordetroit)

Czar

Post Number: 2976
Posted From: 129.137.182.79
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think anyone will trade for him, the Lions will probably have to release him.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1430
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born in Red Hook Brooklyn in the year of who knows when
Opened up his eyes to the tune of an accordion
Always on the outside whatever side there was
When they asked him why it had to be that way "Well" he answered
"just because".

Larry was the oldest Joey was next to last
They called Joe "Crazy" the baby they called "Kid Blast"
Some say they lived off gambling and running numbers too
It always seemed they got caught between the mob and the men in
blue.

Joey, Joey
King of the streets child of clay
Joey, Joey
What made them want to come and blow you away.

There was talk they killed their rivals but the truth was far
from that
No one ever knew for sure where they were really at
When they tried to strangle Larry, Joey almost hit the roof
He went out that night to seek revenge thinking he was
bulletproof.

The war broke out at the break of dawn it emptied out the
streets
Joey and his brothers suffered terrible defeats
Till they ventured out behind the lines and took five prisoners
They stashed them away in a basement called them amateurs.

The hostages were trembling when they heard a man exclaim
"Let's blow this place to kingdom come let Con Edison take the
blame"
But Joey stepped up, and he raised his hand and said, "We're not
those kind of men
It's peace and quiet that we need to go back to work again".

Joey, Joey
Joey, Joey

The police department hounded him, they called him Mr. Smith
They got him on conspiracy, they were never sure who with
"What time is it" said the judge to Joey when they met
"Five to ten" said Joey. The judge says, "That's exactly what
you get".

He did ten years in Attica, reading Nietzche and Wilhelm Reich
They threw him in the hole one time for trying to stop a strike
His closest friends were black men 'cause they seemed to
understand
What it's like to be in society with a shackle on your hand.

When they let him out in '71 he'd lost a little weight
But he dressed like Jimmy Cagney and I swear he did look great
He tried to find the way back into the life he left behind
To the boss he said, "I've returned and now I want what's mine".

Joey, Joey
Joey, Joey

It was true that in his later years he would not carry a gun
"I'm around too many children", he'd say, "they should never
know of one"
Yet he walked right into the clubhouse of his lifelong deadly
foe
Emptied out his register, said, "Tell 'em it was Crazy Joe".

One day they blew him down in a clam bar in New York
He could see it coming through the doors as he lifted up his
fork
He pushed the table over to protect his family
Then he staggered out into the streets of Little Italy.

Joey, Joey
Joey, Joey

Sister Jacqueline and Carmela and mother Mary all did weep
I heard his best friend Frankie say, "He ain't dead he's just
asleep"
Then I saw the old man's limousine head back towards the grave
I guess he had to say one last goodbye to the son that he could
not save.

The sun turned cold over President Street and the town of the
Brooklyn mourned
They said a mass in the old church near the house where he was
born
And someday if God's in heaven overlooking his preserve
I know the men that shot him down will get what they deserve.

Joey, Joey
Joey, Joey

Czar

Post Number: 2977
Posted From: 129.137.182.79
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From today's Free Press:

"Marinelli said wide receiver Charles Rogers was in the building and "ready to roll."

Roll joints?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1049
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gonna miss you, Joey. You are a class act which is more than I can say for about 75% of your former Lion teammates. They love to talk before and after games, they just don't play worth a damn.
I hope your next team provides you with a coach who has a game plan in place before the game, not during the game, some receivers who can actually receive and a line that can actually give you protection at least 50% of the time.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alas class acts & a certain measure of human dignity isn't always the right formula for success in the NFL.. And in a win hungry sort of town like Detroit, patience wears mighty thin here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.