Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Rosedale Power House Gym/ Admin Bldg U-D razed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1533
Posted From: 69.219.102.225
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About two months ago the Rosedale Park Powerhouse Gym closed. This past weekend the building was torn down. At the speed of the closing and tearing down, something must be planned for the near future.

Driving along Outer Drive and Southfield I see that the Administrative Bldg. of U of D/Mercy's Outer Drive campus is being torn down. Spent a lot of time in that building as student. It was a solid building with marble or granite hall floors.

I often imagined that it would have been a great gated community(GC). The old Mercy High School which became Marian Hall would have been perfect for the GC elementary school. McCauley(sp?) Auditorium would serve as the GC's movie house.
The old dorms on the Southfield Fwy side could be small apartments for recent college grads.

Townhomes could be built along the fence, facing the freeway, Outer Drive, and the side street, Faust. The Ward Conference Center would continue to serve as a conference and reception hall.

Last I heard, WCCCD had bought the property. I guess the administration building doesn't fit their needs. Does anybody know what's exactly planned?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9936
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, as a member (yep, membership was good till June 2006) I was told CVS bought it and are moving from their current location across the parking lot. There was a court notice sometime this past summer notifying all interested parties of a court date to discuss the possible purchase and demolision. FYI

Fortunately for me, just like the Rosedale Powerhouse honored my membership after the downtown Powerhouse screwed most of it's members, the Powerhouse downtown under new ownership honored my remaining membership I had in Rosedale. In the end, I've actually made out like a bandit, where as others got screwed. My current deal figured out to around $150 a year for two years. That would have got me about 3 months at the YMCA, not even including the application fee. So once again, I am a happy Powerhouse member.

Royce

Post Number: 1534
Posted From: 69.219.102.225
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess CVS really wants to compete with Rite-Aid for customers. A new CVS in the Grandland Shopping Center would be about 100 yards, maybe less, from its rival, Rite-Aid. I know there's more parking spaces in the shopping center parking lot than what CVS currently has in their lot. I guess the next thing we'll be hearing is that Walgreen's will replace CVS in its current location.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 816
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it was the Rite-aid moving to the new location...and Rosedale was supposed to relocate to the spot in Grandland now occupied by Rite-aid.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2445
Posted From: 129.105.35.104
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has TOO MANY Drug Stores.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 816
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't UDM phasing out the Outer Drive Campus?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 720
Posted From: 65.54.154.46
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the corner drug sales, I'd say Detroit needs more drug stores.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 215
Posted From: 69.47.103.87
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes...udm is phasing out the outer drive campus. in less than 10 years, everything will be relocated to the mcnichols campus (supposedly, as this transition started about 2 years ago, and said it would be complete in 10 years).

this means ANOTHER all new, state of the art dental school, which i think they are building somewhere in the exisiting parking lot in front of callahan hall. in addition to a brand new state of the art barnes and noble book store on the corner of livernois and mcnichols. and some other new buildings and amenities that i can't recall at the moment. (someone, like rsa maybe, might wanna jump in here and correct me on some of this if i am wrong, i'd be willing to bet he knows more than i do).

it's quite an undertaking for the school, which was in debt for a long time (partly in thanks to all the extra staff they kept on when the mercy and u of d colleges merged). but they got that giant-ass grant/donation of money they were lobbying for for so long. of course only within a few years of me graduating. even right now that school doesn't look the same as it did when i was there...

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 792
Posted From: 69.215.17.218
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funny thing here is Supersport being a member of the Rosedale Park Powerhouse Gym

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 462
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like UDM had more room at the Outer Drive campus rather than McNichols.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow, they tore down the old Mercy High School Building?? Spent my first two years of high school there before moving into the new building in Farmington. Was a neat old building, very solid. A CVS..........puke.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1253
Posted From: 66.238.170.50
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, you are correct in stating that the Rite-Aid, not CVS, is moving across the parking lot from Grandland to a new building to be built on the old Powerhouse site. The Grandland owner is a cheapskate who hasn't put a dime into the place in years and the place is falling apart. One of the main reasons a new Rite Aid is being built (other than currently having a bad landlord) is that the new place will have a drive thru pharmacy. These pharmacy chains will tell you that they don't get much business through the drive thru when traffic and noise issues come up, but then a sentence later they'll tell you that a drive thru is vital to their business. Anyways I think the new store will be a failure like their current store is unless they renovate their staff as well. I've never met a more rude group of folks in my life.

I don't believe that Powerhouse is moving to Grandland. The owner of that franchise recently died and his kids, while they enjoyed working there, didn't really have the business sense or desire that their dad did. I'm pretty sure, all though I could be wrong, that the rumors of planning to move to Grandland have been canceled.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1054
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom graduated from U of D, as did my aunt and uncle who are both very good dentists.... back when tuition was less than 30 grand a year :-(

I'll have to settle for macomb...

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 216
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

genesyxx - i never went to the mercy campus ofen, but from what i remember, it was a lot smaller than the u of d campus. it's possible that with less buildings, it looked like it had more room.

alexei - less than 30 grand a year for dental school or undergrad? undergrad should still be under 30 a year i would think, even though they have had a few tuition hikes in the last few years. i know mine was under 15 a year in the 4 years i was there, but i didn't live on campus.

Royce

Post Number: 1535
Posted From: 70.236.146.120
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, the old Mercy High School on the UD Mercy Outer Drive campus is not being torn down. It's the tallest building there, the Administration Building, that faces Outer Drive that is being torn down.

The Powerhouse Gym at Fenkell and Grand River is being torn down, and according to people here, it is going to be replaced with a new Rite-Aid.

(Message edited by royce on March 15, 2006)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1880
Posted From: 4.229.81.118
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an alumni of Mercy College (undergrad) and UDM (grad), I am appalled. I loved that old building. The nuns used to live on the upper floors. I take it that the library addition with the large atrium to the main building are gonners as well. And yes they built a new dental school as I was graduating (1991). What a waste of money.

And they wonder why they don't get a penny from me as an Alumni. (Actually UDM cheesed me off when after getting my M.S. (3.93) in Computer Mgmt from the UDM Business School, they wanted me to jump thru all the hoops all over again (as though I was a new student) to get an MBA from that same business school!). I told the Business School director of admissions what he could do with that MBA degree, and haven't been back.

(Message edited by Gistok on March 15, 2006)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 551
Posted From: 12.148.245.194
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a rumor a while back (before Powerhouse even closed)that it will move to the Rite Aid site in the near future. Of course I can't see a business packing up and leaving without notifying it's members.

Supersport

Post Number: 9939
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it was in fact Rite Aid across the lot, yeah, that's what they told members. It was either that location of the former Fitness U.S.A. up Grand River near Southfield Freeway. However, I was informed that the equipment was not kept after the gym closed and apparently they changed their plans on relocating.

BVOS is correct, the drive thru was a big reason in building a new place.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 552
Posted From: 12.148.245.194
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a damn shame they're not just relocating. They had a steady stream of people everytime I was there.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 244
Posted From: 68.248.33.28
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BVOS...you're right about the rudeness of the Rite-Aid employees. Especially the cashiers at the front. Although I must say a couple of the pharmacy employees were super nice, always remembered my name when I came in and were always helpful...and smiling. Too bad their positiveness didn't rub off on the others. When you have so many choices...three major drug stores within a mile and a half...a pleasant personality can make a difference.

Supersport

Post Number: 9942
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best gym Detroit had in my opinion.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.