Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » DPD Volunteer Officers? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 938
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 5:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe many cities across the country have either volunteer or deputy (or some other name) programs where citizens can elect to go through the training,etc., and then become a type of volunteer or backup officer.

I've often thought that might be a good way for citizens of any city (I live in CA now) to give something back to their cities and their neighborhoods. It would provide a good liason between citizens, the neighborhood volunteer, and the full-time force, and would give that extra set of eyes and manpower places like Detroit need.

Does Detroit have something like this? Is anyone part of it?

Just kinda curious.
Top of pageBottom of page

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 286
Posted From: 69.242.220.249
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they do. But, I would rec. going with Wayne County if you are thinking about doing it.

The people running the DPD reserves are full timers, and from my experience they seemed like the dumping ground of the force. Went in and filled out an app. and was interviewed by someone who obviously didn't care that I was there. Was told they would call me in a week for a home interview. Two weeks later, no call... so I called them and got, "ohh yeah, ok, let's set up a home interview." Officer came out and did that, took like 5 minutes, then I never heard back.

By that time, I said forget the DPD reserves and had already applied to the WC Sheriff Reserves. They were very professional, helpful, and friendly. In the end I turned down the invitation to start the training due to low pack problems, but they told me to come back anytime.

Regardless of the force, you have to go to night school a couple times a week for 4 months. You have the option to get a concealed pistol license in the process, in order to carry while in uniform.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.