Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Growing up Playing baseball on the Westside. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3367
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba gives you the various ways to play baseball on the Westside of Detroit.

1. Steps baseball. Get a good tennis ball. Batter throws ball against the front steps while several kids line up to catch it. Over everybody's head is a homer. A line drive which hits the ground in the street might be a double. Batter is up until he makes 3 outs, all fly outs.

2. Streets baseball. Use any kinda ball but rubber or tennis are best. Home plate is the manhole cover. The curbs are the foul lines. Bases are available cardboard, and then the rules are the same as Briggs Stadium. Use of hardballs will yield broken car or house windows, frowned upon. If you break a window, your father puts a strap to your ass and YOU help him replace it, and in a fucking hurry.

3.Corner Field pickups. The empty field at the corner is a pick-up spot. Every morning on summer vacation meet there and choose up sides.
Use eagle claws to settle first pick. Use hardballs and cardboard for bases. Your team loses if you break a window. Father puts a strap to your ass and you help him fix it, and damn fast.

4. High school organized ball.

5. Babe Ruth organized ball.

6. Industrial softball at Northwestern Field. Dad buys Toasted Almond ice creams from Good Humor Man on Grand River Ave. Mostly, Sundays.

7. Parks and Rec. softball at the park. Sign up for the neighborhood team. The Jewish Parks worker drives you to the other park nearby. Take a bath the night before, stinky. Park Dept. supplies the equipment except your own glove.
Wear gym shoes. Invite your mother if the game is at your park. She brings Kool Aid.

8. Get a group together and go to Briggs Stadium on the street car or bus and watch a Tigers game.

jjaba, Westside Memories.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2211
Posted From: 67.163.181.81
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya left out

strikeout

and West-7

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 775
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'jjaba' Did you ever play 'strike'm out'--- all you needed was 2 people.

Spray paint a square with an X in the middle and one person would pitch and the other bat. A single was any ball that got pass the pitcher, a double was a line drive, a triple was one hop off the fence and a homerun was over the fence. The best ball to play with was the rubber coated hard balls. Tennis ball were too light.

I grew up playing baseball at the neighborhood playground( Ames playground ) Mcgraw and Vinewood.:-) The Basketball court was in right-field, so if you hit the ball on the court, it was an automatic out. (or a beat-down from the older guys on the court) I remember once I hit a ball to right and a guy named 'Slick Rick' took the ball and told me if I wanted it, I had to come and get it!--all my friends looked at me and shook their heads__ and then 'Slick Rick' took the ball and threw it over the fence into the weeds!:-(

I played with several little league teams in Detroit, Mr. Moores Detroit Yankees, D.a.d.s Construction, Outcast, The Bombers, and later Northwestern High School and Tennesee State University.

My memories of Tiger Stadium is when we(Northwestern) played Catholic Central, in the Operation Friendship game and lost 5-2 and I booted(error) a ball at 2nd based(right where Sweet Lou stood) darn it--never forgot that--but nevertheless sweet sweet memories.

super d(motordetroit)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 378
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super_d called my game. Over at the Monnier school (Schoolcraft and, uh, was it Ward?) the square was scraped into the bricks on the school wall. Tennis balls were the missiles of choice. "The guys" kept track of their home runs (over the fence) during the summer vacation. They all lied at least a little. Including me, since my actual total by August was around zilch.

Oh. Tennis balls were white then. Well, dirty white, anyway. If you'd of shown up with a yellow ball we'd of sent you over with the girls.

Rustic

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya that's what we called strikeout.

500 was played with a super pinky ball.

oh yeah ... what was the name of the base running game: two boys playing catch at "bases" and a runner running between?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That game was called run-down in M'waukey. But we rarely played that.

From the second grade through the seventh grade, our class in school (most of the 21 or 22 boys) played baseball after school at 3:30 to 5:30 four days a week or so with a rubber-coated ball in late February at this one large field with a backstop about 1 1/2 blocks away from Hank Aaron's house at 38th & Hope on the near NW side. After the weather warmed, we played with regular hardballs.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 69.208.117.244
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic: That was "pickle."
Some of us Southwest-siders played at Patton Park, where the baseball diamonds weren't in the best of shape, but there was plenty of competition.

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 261
Posted From: 69.221.74.246
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These days, a city kid has Think Detroit P.A.L. and that's about it.

Rustic

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pickle, yup that's it.

Super_d

Post Number: 776
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clark Park had some great Latino teams. I can remember our team from Ames playground riding our bikes up the Blvd to Clark Park on early Tuesday Mornings in the mid Summer-time to play at Clark Park. We were no order than 11 to 13 years old. It always seemed like the Latino teams were a lot bigger and older than us.:-)

As far a strike'em out__ why is it no one could ever draw the box in a true strike zone? Most of the time it was to high!

As far as 'pickle', (I believe we called it runners tag) was part of many side walk games....

Four squares\or two squares
Tops
Mother may I
Pom Pom......

super d(motordetroit)

Jjaba

Post Number: 3370
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9. pickle. Sorry, jjaba forgot.

10. pitch and catch. Two kids, one throwing as a pitcher, one as a catcher. The catcher calls balls and strikes and the pitcher bitches alot. Then you switch and the other kid is pitcher. If a 3rd kid shows up, the game turns to pickle.
The game is played strictly on the sidewalk in front of your house. You play until the streetlight goes on and mother calls you in for bed.

jjaba, Westside Memories.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 976
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well here's my poke at it from back in the 70's

Running Bases- 3 people. 2 cathchers and one runner. The two cathers would toss the ball to one another while the runner would try and run between the two with out getting out.

I spent a lot of time playing streetball with the white tennis balls. Oh yeah , by the way, I broke a few good windows with them tennis balls.

Played organized ball a few years with Northwest Junior Athletics (where every child plays every game)

Played for the P.A.L. Pirates over on 6 mile and Meyers.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2380
Posted From: 66.167.58.120
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We played a two person game, a variation on Super D's 'strike'm out', called sock ball. We used an old but sturdy sock and stuffed the toe tightly with rags to the size of a baseball. Then we encased it tightly by a few inside out wraps and stitched or taped it closed. A house on one side of the street would serve as a backstop with pitcher in the middle of the street. Single, 2B, 3B were increasing distances with home run being on the porch of the house across the street.

Like anything hit with good timing you could tag the ball, but we never had to worry about breaking windows or doing damage. The ball could also be somewhat flattened to throw wicked curve balls.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2381
Posted From: 66.167.58.120
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And let's not forget 'work up' for situations of limited players. If you have, say, seven palyers, five take the field and two bat. If the batter makes an out he goes to the outfield [end of the line] starting a push rotation; the pitcher gets to bat [works up], first base becomes the pitcher, etc.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3539
Posted From: 68.73.55.74
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lowell; in my "neck of the woods" it was called SCRUB. Lotsa Little League Coaches would check out Scrub games to see who was the better player at what position; since ya had to play them all to get to bat (unless you caught a pop-up or fly ball).

Best memories ..... Getting that cherished CONTRACT from a Coach ..... beating the Hamtramck H.S. Championship Team, 7-5, while they were on a barnstorming tour (their only seasonal loss that year); after beating the State American Legion Champion A-Team, 2-zip (Pete Rose's schitt). It was quite a season, that year. Excellent memories ......

Black-atcha .....

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2010
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We played a variation on the game where if we only had enough people to cover one side of the field and the batter was right handed, anything hit to the right of centerfield was an out. And vice versa if the hitter was a lefty. Theoretically all we needed was a pitcher, two infielders, two outfielders and the batter. Anything hit through or not caught by the fielders was good and anything snagged was an out.

Nedab3
Username: Nedab3

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 216.96.11.195
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCRUB in the 40's was played on an empty lot. To chose who would bat we would place a bat(usually with screws and black tape on it) at home plate and toss a ball (also black taped) from the pitchers spot. whoever hit the bat first was a batter before going to defense. If an outfielder caught your hit on the fly he automatically became a batter and you switched places. Street ball on the eastside was exactly the same. Patchs on Wayburn were the bases. Steps ball was played for hours on end. Always had arguments at any baseball you played

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 602
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to play hardball at O'Shea and the all stars got green and gold T-Shirts that looked like the Oakland A's uniforms years later.
Softball league at MOS (on Greenfield south of Schoolcraft)had three diamonds often going at once when we were in grade school. A short fly ball would end up on the school roof (a la Fenway Park) on one field.
Cadillac School (not far away) had a gravel field that made sliding with or without shorts rather painful.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh...growing up idolizing the Oakland A's! I still loved the fact that we had white shoes with that green & gold combo!

Super_d

Post Number: 777
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh! and I forgot, Kick Ball dubed 'Alley Ball'__ in my neighborhood the kids on my block would utilize the alley for a good 'Kick-Ball' game__ anyone remember 'Kick Ball'?....usually played with a corner store $1.00 ball/ or dodge ball...and because the alleys were long and narrow, we would line the bases in a triangular shape.... the rules were the same as baseball. The alley street lights made great night 'Alley Ball' games on a hot summer night!:-)

Hey Lowell, I remember those taped up balls__ and you are right about the dynamics of those balls. I think that is why I grew up to be a pretty good curve ball hitter.:-)

super d(motordetroit)

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 570
Posted From: 69.14.248.252
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad played at Western High school in the early 50's. Any of you there back then? Him and George Perles and the boys. Patton Park etc... Any old Vernor Highway Gang on here?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3373
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nedab3, growing up on the Westside, jjaba never dreamed that kids "over there on the Eastside" were like us. Now much later, jjaba learns they played exactly the same forms of baseball. Wonders never cease. Thanks.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, what made Westside living better than Eastside living?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3295
Posted From: 70.233.5.4
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We played home run derby on the east side. Got the game from my dada...really it is from the old tv show with Mickey and all those REAL ball players.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 380
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The advantage of playing on the west side was that you played with west siders. If you played on the east side, you had to play with east siders, and no one really liked them. :-)

Brain cells have been jogged. I remember when we wore the cover off a regulation baseball it got wrapped with friction tape. I don't think they make friction tape any more. It was replaced by electrical tape. Probably some east sider came up with that.........

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1861
Posted From: 24.98.116.13
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to play for west 7.. in fact, Dicks Auto Glass was the sponsor. We wore the blue uniforms. Fun times. I recently looked up west 7 and saw that there is still a youth program. Does the baseball still exist under west 7?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2952
Posted From: 70.230.16.38
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our street was a bus line, therefore we were relegated to the alley. For some unknown reason we only seemed to break basement windows with our foul balls.

It was an act of passage, when we could walk the five blocks to Bennett Elementary and play on a real field. "Strike out" was great if we only had a few players.

Super_d

Post Number: 778
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is true, growing up on the westside, I don't recall any little leaque teams on the eastside... was there such a thing....here are some notable west side teams...

Detroit Yankees
Outcast
DADS Construction
West 7
Clippers
A's
Bombers
Cardinals

Im sure there were more but that's what I remember.

Does anybody remember those rally songs we use to sing.....I remember with the Yankess we use to say Yankees on the bases...we gonna run run run....

remember saying, Hey batter batter batter batterrrrr!

how bout this....it's in the locker, hey, and can of volka, hey...it on the table, hey, black label, hey......etc:-)

great thread!

super d(motordetroit)

Jjaba

Post Number: 3375
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba doesn't diss the Eastside of Detroit. He's only been there a couple of times. Really, what's there?

jjaba.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the classic "Pitcher pitcher- we don't need a belly itcher!" And I recall just about all of us did some George Kell or Larry Osterman imitation at one point or another. My favorite still has to be "He hit it like a booh-lit!".

Ah, those delusions of being Aurelio Rodriguez playing the third base line too.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4727
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My dad played at Western High school in the early 50's. Any of you there back then? Him and George Perles and the boys. Patton Park etc... Any old Vernor Highway Gang on here?

My grandmother probably taught your dad algebra. George Perles was one of her students at Western during that era.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's brother taught at Western.

The principal was Mc. Panich, with a name similar to jjaba.

jjaba, Westsider.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3814
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who wants to join a little league baseball in Detroit's Westside should join The McCoskey Little League on Joy Rd. They have been in business since 1957 serving all of Warrendale. Now It's totally close up and move on.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2959
Posted From: 68.79.88.87
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What?

Rustic

Post Number: 2217
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westside: fly balls soaring gracefully into a midsummer night sky, high enough to briefly reflect streetlight beneath as a bright spot on the deep infinity of the summer heavens. Pay attention: quick as a wink the satellite is back in umbral darkness before landing in your glove.

Eastside: fishflies swarming innumerably from an inky darkness, streetlights a beacon for a pullulating pestilence from a fetid natal shore.

... duh ...

(Message edited by rustic on March 20, 2006)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1286
Posted From: 66.238.170.33
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grandmont Rosedale Little League in NW Detroit is still going strong. Hundreds of kids play every summer and there's always a waiting list.

They go to the state regional playoffs every year and get pretty far. A lot of those suburban teams are surprised to not only see a racially mixed team from Detroit, but to also get their socks knocked off by them.

Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram - What was your grandmother's name? I'll check with my dad. If you don't want to post, email at: aljian67 at aol dot com. He only remembers "smiling" Mrs. Clifford who taught geometry.

Detroit was one hell of a hotbed for baseball talent back then.

My dad played at Western and graduated in 54'. Some of his teammates were George Perles, Joe Carruthers, and George Kachigian. Both George and Joe went on to have careers in football, my dad also going up and playing football at MSU for Duffy Doherty. Two diamonds at Clark Park. Coached by the legendary Mr. Higgins.

He played in the Billy Rogel league as a youngster - played for the Pups and George played for the Little Giants.

Played in the American Legion League in the summer for Edison Post.

Talks about the legendary Northwestern Fields. At any given time you were apt to find two to three major league scouts checking out the talent. How many diamonds were there? 8 or so... Willy Horton et all...

My mom does all the bragging though. Went to Cooley 56'-60' and claims that 5 players on the team went to the big leagues.
Milt Pappas, Larry Cutright, Tom Heenan, Bob Roman, and another she couldn't recall. Abe Elliowitz was the coach and who interestingly enough, lived right near Western, and whos son Sam was the quarterback on Western's football team.

Pick up games at Patton Park. Also some good players played in the Firehouse League too.

Detroit memories...

Jjaba

Post Number: 3381
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic waxes poetically. Tells it EXACTLY like it tis, without embellishments.

Bvos shows regional pride in a big-ass bold city.
Black and white together in a long tradition of Greenberg, Cobb, Gibson, Horton, Virgil, Lopez, Aguire, Whittaker, & Rodriguez.
(and probably some Canadians too.)

jjaba, Proudly Westside, before Little Leagues.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 201
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, wait is McCoskey Little League still around? My borther played in the league last year.

Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba - when did your brother teach at Western?

Mike Panich who played football at MSU? Originally from the Chicago area?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3388
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Panitch is jjaba's cousin. He was MSU quarterback between Morrell and Ninowski. He was a star at Austin High School (Chicago) in the 1950s.
Coach Duff Doroughty loved him. He was an excellent student in economics and went on to a very big Wall Street career.

Philmore, jjaba's brother, only taught at Western HS a short while, then moved away.

How did Principal Mr. Panich actually spell his name? How long was he at Western HS?

Our name was converted from Cyrillic languages by either Ship captains, ship bursars, or US Customs at Ellis Island. In jjaba's case, Dad arrived New York in 1913, on the SS Pretoria from Hamburg.

In our family, we have several spellings.
We are from Umon, Ukraine. The family immigrated to Chicago. jjaba's immediate family were the onliest ones in Detroit since Dad moved away from the family in 1926.

jjaba.

Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why MTD likes this forum alot.

Very funny you should mention having a big Wall Street career for your cousin Mike Panitch. My dad mentioned him and that he went on to become very succesful on Wall Street! Those were great teams back then. A true national powerhouse. I'll talk to my dad and report more.

MTD is wondering if any of that successs ($) fell into Jjaba's hands or did the Rock conveniently find himself in charms way... :-)

Thanks for sharing Jjaba. It's always a pleasure.

MTD

Jjaba

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't let that Grosse Pointe address fool you.
jjaba is ok.

jjaba on the Westside.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1046
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MTD--I recall the 1958 Mich-MSU game where jjaba's cousin played qb for the Spartans. The game ended up in a 12-12 tie. Disappointing for both teams, with both Mich and State missing extra points. jjaba's cousin had a pitch out intercepted by the Blue for a TD. Cuz probably does not want to recall that one!!
Hey jjaba, is cousin Mike still married to Amy Lieberman?
I know more about cousin Mike than jjaba does. We Grosse Pointers follow the social scene. It comes with the territory ( address.)

And speaking of baseball and those old Tiger greats, don't forget my namesake, Tommy Bridges, the hero of the '35 World Series victory over the Cubs.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1047
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

deuce---another matter. Ask Mom regarding Cooley High. You sure that wasn't Bill Roman rather than Bob Roman? My fraternity roomate, Bill Roman, at Ann Arbor signed with the Tigers, but I am afraid a guy named Norm Cash got to play a lot more!!

Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 574
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock - My dad doesn't recall the 58' game as he was out school by that time, 57' was his last year. He thinks Mike might have been one year younger than he was.

The last time he saw Mike was about 15-20 years ago when he came into town with one of his horses for a race at DRC. My dad and the late Jimmy Wolf came out to see him and had lunch at the track.

My mom said it was Bob Roman and he went into the Cleveland Indians organization. she's positive because, well, she dated him!!!! ha ha ha

Jjaba - pops would love to say hi to Mike again. If you have any contact info, it would be greatly appreciated. you can get me at: aljian67@aol.com

Good stuff...

Jjaba

Post Number: 3397
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba doesn't want to threradjack about his cousin. Suffice it to say that alot of people know him be it sports or otherwise.

jjaba.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 71.126.176.158
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt the deuce -It was Rob Roman.

The other Cooley player in the late 50's who went on to play in the majors was Bill Bartling -catcher for the KC Athletics. Cooley sent five to the majors in 5 years.

the river rat baseball historian

Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks River rat

Jjaba - Upon reviewing the dialog above certain words stuck out to me. Like "big $" "horse track" "15 years ago" "the late Jimmy Wolf" and I could see where it might give someone the wrong impression!!! If I were you, I wouldn't give me his contact info either!! Oh man that is funny... Jjaba - streetwise on the westside, and I don't just mean the routes of the Dexter bus!

Back to baseball.

Well, I just got off the phone with a good friend who played high school ball on the gasp! east side at Grosse Pointe High, but played all over the city and went on to play at MSU and then into the Philly organization. He is a wealth of knowledge concerning Detroit baseball and even Westside baseball.

Billy Rogel League - 12 to 14 years old

Fireman's midgets - 15 to 16 ?

American Legion - Summer league, played all over the city. Elger Post, Roose Baker Post.

Detroit Athletic Baseball Federation. The DABF was a very good league and anybody who was serious spent some time in this league in the 50's and 60's. The DABF kept records of the players and stats and printed up books with this info. If anyone can get their hands on one of these it would be quite a find, and would surely be peppered with big league prospects. I guess Bob Milos' mom put the records together. :-) The DABF later morphed into the Free Press League in the late 60's.

Northwestern Fields - Six back to back diamonds. Sunday you could watch games from the morning to the night - all diamonds. The best level being class A semi pro. These players were either old pros or big league prospects - The Pespi Cola sponsored team, the Helin Tackle team. They would also play the black teams sponsored by Ford - the Ford Bruins, the Ford All Stars. These teams would also play the Labor league teams - AFL-CIO boilermakers, steelworkers, electricians.

Trivia -

Of diamonds numbered 1 through 6 at Northwestern, only one had grass. Which one was it?

Broken_main

Post Number: 998
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I had my grandfather here to give me that answer.(may he rest in peace 1-22-06) My grandfather spent a lot of his time at those diamonds(and many others) and I know he told me which one had the grass.

He played for Budweiser Oldtimers league until just a few years ago. Man He could throw that ball even in his 70's. I think when it came to baseball and billiards, he was the master. It's been only 2 months and I wish he wouldn't have died so suddenly.(Let me stop before I start getting emotional :-))

Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that Broken Main.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks...He loved the game of baseball. When he was a kid in Birmingham, AL they played with sticks and socks. Sounded crazy to me when he told me, but they made do with whatever they could just to get a game going.

I dedicate my 1000th post to my Grandfather.

Phillip Cook Sr

Jjaba

Post Number: 3407
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is your flash from the past on Northwestern. He cannot recall which was the grass diamond.

Dad would take us there on Sundays. We saw really good baseball for free ofcourse. We could then learn to play on our corner lot or streets baseball, modelling Northwestern's players. Pepsi was the best. They sponsored the hydroplanes like Miss Pepsi. The mgr. was Rupert. We remember him yr. after yr.

We also remember the Good Humor man in his starched whites. He stood right on the sidewalk with the little trailer, no truck, no place to sit. He stood tall in the heat of a Detroit summer's day. The onliest other place jjaba ever saw him was Belle Isle. Toasted Almond bars on a stick were most popular. That beats the hell out of Eskimo Pies.

Guys played hard and it was not hard to find blood. Real hardball, real cleats, real hardbodies.

We remember the whole place; Fisher YMCA, Lee Plaza Hotel and 3 DPS schools on one lot. WOW!

We brought our own balls and mitts, perhaps a bat and when we got bored with watching, Dad let us wander off to play on our own. Hell, there was plenty of room and plenty of other city kids like us.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Danny

Post Number: 3824
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep jjaba, Fond memories in Jewish dominate Detroit Westside

Danny

Post Number: 3825
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All then, Kova, McCoskey does have his Little League open on Joy Rd. I wonder how the demographics of the kids are playing there?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3412
Posted From: 192.220.139.23
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghettoman does know that Northwestern HS at one time did have a solid Jewish student body, but just South and West of across Grand River was never Jewish. The Jews lived up Dexter, all the way to a few blocks past W. Davison. Central HS was very Jewish at one time also. After a small attendance at Mac Kenzie, they flocked into Mumford HS in the 1950s.

jjaba.

Nedab3
Username: Nedab3

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 216.96.11.195
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Pepsi team. Two players from the eastside where Connie Aumann and Tom Orton.

Super_d

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teams at Northwestern Field League during the 80's.

The Detroit Bruins
The Detroit Panthers
The Detroit Expos
The Americans
The Clippers
The Royals
The Merchants
The Oldtimers

The peanut man always provided the nutz:-)

Not sure if any of you have been passed Northwestern Field the past years, but it has totally been re-vamped...new softball diamonds, new hard ball diamonds, a mega-church(of course!) and Northwestern Highschool has a new football stadium and track__ to bad it was not like that when I attended the Big N.O.

Northwestern High Notable baseball greats....

Willie Horton(Tigers)
John Mayberry(Royals)
Ron Teasley(Negro League Hall of Famer)
Kortney Thompson(Tigers, UofM)

By the way 'Jjaba', when I was at the Big N.O. the N.O. stood for Negroes Only:-)

super d(motordetroit)

Jjaba

Post Number: 3420
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Segregated Detroit, Northwestern HS must be quite black these days. Glad to see the urban investment in that lot and school.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.