Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit Public TV « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 69.216.100.91
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else get really really pissed when they drive by the new "Detroit" Public TV bulding in Wixom??? Man does it get my blood boiling. I will never, ever give them any time or effort as long as they reamin in exurbia. I was driving to a family B-Day in Flint and passed it today...just discusting!!!

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 605
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes it pisses me off. I drive by it every time i head for detroit.

a bunch of large trees that fell down in front of the building just sat that for months. Ugh, I am glad some major sponsors pulled funding when they moved to Wixom

Username: 1953

Post Number: 731
Posted From: 65.54.98.30
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there some sort of public protest we could launch?

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would be happy to write them aletter detailing the fact that i will never ever consider donating to them while they reside in exurbia!!

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1463
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Already sent mine.

:-)

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4721
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your blood boils when you drive by a public television studio, you probably need to reevaluate your priorities in life.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2011
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the big hullabaloo about them having their building out in Wixom?? I know that WJBK & WXYZ are located in Southfield so is there something wrong with Wixom that I need to know about? Pleading sheer ignorance here so please clue me in.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1897
Posted From: 4.229.150.51
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, the city has bent over backwards to try and keep them in Detroit, offering free land, etc. Even other Detroit movers and shakers have tried, but to no avail. Steve Antoinini (the head honcho at the station) was very demanding and uncooperative.

His reasoning for the move (to an existing studio) was that it was HDTV compliant. Apparently the fact that he now has a shorter commute to home has absolutely nothing to do with it.

They'll never receive another cent from me either....

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southfield is not Wixom. People can stilllive in the core city and commute to Southfield. People are not going to commute to Wixom from Detroit. The problem is that this is just one more way of getting people to move to the suburban fringe.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 24.169.233.225
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not thrilled with it, but my understanding is that the fact an existing building had the necessary digital video infrastructure saved them millions vs. constructing a new building.

I would have liked to see them stay in Detroit as well. I volunteered for their booth during the Super Bowl, and my understanding is that they will continue to use their existing building in Detroit in conjuction with the Wixom location.

The brief discussion I overheard between employees of the station didn't paint as rosey of a picture of Detroit's efforts to keep them downtown...

The_aram

Post Number: 4722
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Southfield is not Wixom. People can stilllive in the core city and commute to Southfield. People are not going to commute to Wixom from Detroit. The problem is that this is just one more way of getting people to move to the suburban fringe.

Are you assuming that everyone who works at the station lives in Detroit?

Pretty lame argument, as is most of the anti-suburban bullshit that flies up in here.

Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I am not saying that everyone who worked there lived in the city, what I am saying is that by locating out in Wixom, you remove that even as a viable option. I am not anti-suburban, I live in Plymouth for the love of Pete. I just get discouraged when a Detroit institution moves to the suburban fringe.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 68.62.19.247
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya, because NOBODY commutes from Wixom to Detroit.

The_aram

Post Number: 4723
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And wouldn't, conversely, keeping the studios in Detroit, according to your argument, deter people from living in Wixom?

Why the seperate standard to keep people living in the city as opposed to Wixom?

Nonsense.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 607
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe because DETROIT Public TV is an institution that began and developed inside the city. Detroit Public TV had stayed through most of the flight of Detroit, and its eventual move symbolizes the overall downfall of the city

The_aram

Post Number: 4724
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(yawn)

Who the hell cares? Seriously. Is it really that offensive that the station move to a better facility, saving themselves millions of dollars that will in turn be free and open to pay for educational programming for all ages? If in their current configuration they could not make the effective transition into HD television, it's absolutely asinine to expect that they stay in Detroit and forfeit their ability to comply with the eventually permanent transition into High Definition programming...

Take the freaking blinders off, people. An educational public service like PBS should be embraced for offering the services it provides, regardless of where it sends its signals from. What's worse- having the station in Wixom, or NOT HAVING IT AT ALL? Everyone under the age of 40 here likely grew up on PBS programming. Don't tell me it isn't a quality resource for this region. And that doesn't change, regardless of where it receives its mail.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 466
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a little mad that they wouldn't stay in the city, but it's not giving me greys. Let 'em live out there. Remember, they're always calling us for donations. They need us more then we need them.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3812
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw WTVS!!! If they want to move to suburbantopia then go right ahead.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.